[OFFICIAL] Revolution - S1 Spoilers and Speculation

Spoiler discussion of television shows (non listed).

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: [OFFICIAL] Revolution - S1 Spoilers and Speculation

Postby DarthLocke on Tue May 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Hope you have a fantastic return trip DharmaLager! I am glad you're not normal :P ;)

Revolution: Pilot Review "First Look"
The track record for post-apocalyptic TV shows is not a promising one. Most of them don't last more than a season and it's not uncommon for them to be yanked prematurely, leaving lots of unanswered questions for viewers.

The NBC drama "Revolution" comes from J.J. Abrams and Eric Kripke and is set in the near future. The pilot opens with a quick at look at what happens when everything from power to technology suddenly shuts down. The story then flashes forward to 15 years later, when a local militia leader attempts to track down the answers to why the lights shut down and how they can be repaired. His violent search for answers shapes most of what happens in the premiere episode.

While it's too early to give this a formal review, I will say that "Revolution" pleasantly surprised me. The show quickly moves to a more traditional action series, with the type of energy and fight sequences Kripke honed with "Supernatural." The first 90% of the episode is nearly mythology-free, before viewers get glimpses at the mysteries that will likely fill the first season of the show. The identity of the militia leader becomes clear and a secret organization that appears to be hoarding technology is revealed.

I liked it overall and the pilot (directed by Jon Favreau) is sharply written and well-cast. In particular, Billy Burke and Tracy Spiridakos do a great job balancing the need for an emotional undercurrent with their roles and the desire of viewers to see some kick-butt action.

My own fear about this show--and I'm guessing it'll be the fear of many viewers--is that I'll end up investing time in a show that won't have a resolution if it's cancelled. The best thing NBC could do would be to promise viewers that win or lose in the ratings, they'll get the answers that wrap up the mysteries of "Revolution.[url]"http://www.allyourtv.com/index.php/tvshowreviews/883-first-look-revolution[/url]

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:49 pm

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:08 am

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:48 am

Preview From Hollywood Reporter!
Part post-apocalyptic thriller, part road movie, the latest project from Supernatural creator Eric Kripke and executive producer J.J. Abrams is one of the network's most-talked about debuts for the fall season. The Hollywood Reporter caught the pilot ahead of its September premiere, so to maintain the breakneck speed of our Fall Preview 2012, here are five things to know about the dystopian drama.
PHOTOS: NBC's 2012-13 Season: 'Revolution,' 'The New Normal' and 'Go On'
1. It's a version of the world we live in. The pilot actually kicks off in modern-day Chicago just as all of the world's televisions, cars, freezers, light bulbs, phones and -- gasp! -- even iPads simultaneously flicker and turn off. While there's no attempt to explain the globe's sudden rejection of physics, even when events quickly move forward to 15 years after the great blackout, it is hinted that some have information that they aren't sharing with others.
2. Listen up, Twilight fans. There may not be any vampires or werewolves in Revolution, but it does count franchise star Billy Burke (aka Forks police chief Charlie Swan) as its lead actor. Burke is joined by frequent Good Wife guest Tim Guinee, Breaking Bad creep Giancarlo Esposito, David Lyons (The Cape), Andrea Roth (Rescue Me), Tracy Spiridakos (Being Human), Anna Lise Phillips and a slew of others.
3. Don't get attached to anyone on that roll call. Revolution doles out causalities early in the pilot, and the series seems prepared dispatch most of the primary players without much hesitation. And aside for notable deaths, there's also just a good deal of carnage. Fight sequences and often gruesome demises take up a solid 10 or 15 percent of the first episode.
VIDEO: First Look: Watch Trailers for All of NBC's New Shows
4. Prepare for flashbacks. As has been the custom with most complicated, arc-based serials in this post-Lost world, the first look at Revolution includes asides to the day the power went out. Given the mortality rate, and the how little attention is given to the events surrounding the black-out, the series seems poised to pepper the occasional time warp as the story moves forward.
5. Twist! The genre all but guarantees a few gotcha moments as the story warms up and Revolution delivers several. The pilot ends with one relatively expected revelation and two rather surprising ones.
Revolution begins on NBC's Monday lineup this fall at 10 p.m., after The Voice, starting Sept. 17. Check out the promo below and hit the comments with your thoughts.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fall-tv-preview-nbc-revolution-jj-abrams-339283

Well if there are that many casualties, then who knows how many more cast members we'll end up having in the first season!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:03 am

Elizabeth Mitchell Joins Cast! :thumbsup:
Mitchell will play the compassionate and concerned long-absent mother of the show’s two young leads, Charlie (Tracy Spiridakos) and Danny (Graham Rogers), who set off on a dangerous cross-country journey.
The hire returns to series TV a veteran actress proclaimed a geek goddess following her breakout roles as Juilet on ABC’s Lost and playing a resistance fighter on the alien invasion drama V. Revolution is set in a post-apocalyptic future when all electrical devices have stopped functioning and the United States is controlled by rival militias. The series premiere is Monday, Sept. 17.
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/06/revolution-season-1-elizabeth-mitchell.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:04 am

Friday Night Lights Actress, Daniella Alonso Joins Cast! :)
"Daniella Alonso has landed the role of “Nora” on the show. Creator/executive producer Eric Kripke describes her as a “rebel fighter, battling against the militia that controls North America. And she’s got a lot of rough water under the bridge with Miles, Billy Burke’s character. And she likes to blow stuff up.”
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/06/29/daniella-alonso-revolution/

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Looking at IMDb we have a few more cast, either for just the Pilot, or perhaps the season/series...

Jesse Kindred - Sentry
Dan Southworth - Trevor
Michael Stacey - Spencer
Andrew S. McMillan - [Another] Fisherman (but like main cast he is listed as "unknown episodes")
Jeff Wolfe - Sergeant ("Unknown Episodes")

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:01 am

Warner Bros To Go Far and Beyond at Comic-Con:
Warner Bros. Television is taking its Comic-Con presentations beyond the halls of the San Diego Convention Center.

Studio will take up 60,000 square feet of space in the field behind the facility, next to the Hilton San Diego Bayfront hotel, to offer free entertainment, including film screenings and concerts to the more than 130,000 attendees expected July 12-15.

In addition to the outdoor activities, Warner Bros. also will bring "The Big Bang Theory," "Vampire Diaries" and "Fringe," along with newbies "Arrow," "The Following," "Cult," "Revolution" and "666 Park Avenue" to the Con. And due to TV's growth at the geekfest, "Big Bang" will be presented for the first time in Hall H, the convention center's largest presentation room that seats 6,000.
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/07/comic-con-warner-bros-to-go-above-and.html

TV GUIDE COMIC-CON FLIP COVER ISSUES to PREVIEW "REVOLUTION"!
Previews of WBTV’s highly anticipated new series 666 Park Avenue (starring Lost’s Terry O’Quinn and Vanessa Williams), Arrow (featuring Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen), Cult (from the executive producers of Farscape and Chuck), The Following (from The Vampire Diaries’ Kevin Williamson, starring Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy) and Revolution (from executive producer J.J. Abrams, Supernatural’s Eric Kripke and Iron Man’s Jon Favreau)http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/07/comic-con-2012-tv-guide-magazine-covers.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:14 am

Comic Con!

IGN's First Impression After Viewing the Pilot:

G4 Interview with Tracey Spiridakos, Billy Burke, and Giancarlo Esposito!
http://www.g4tv.com/videos/59824/revolution-at-comic-con-2012-live/

Photos of "Revolution Village" (Yes, they actually transported the Ferris Wheel from the Pilot to San Diego!)http://www.buzzfocus.com/2012/07/11/jj-abrams-revolution-comic-con-photos/

Revolutions Facebook Page (also full of updates and photos!):
http://www.facebook.com/Revolution

EW Provides Peoples Reviews: Like Jericho? Terra Nova? or Flash Forward? -Walking Dead?
Fans at Comic-Con who watched NBC’s big new drama pilot — about a blackout that takes out all electronic devices — only agreed on one thing: It reminded them of another apocalyptic TV show.
First, here’s an outright rave review: “It was awesome,” says Erin, 27, visiting the San Diego fan event from Arizona. “Really entertaining. I liked the fight scenes.”

“It was all right, it reminded me a lot of Jericho,” says Papool, 33, visiting the San Diego fan event from Dallas. “I’m not 100 percent sold. I want to see where it’s heading … I’m worried it’s going to be too much like FlashForward. If it’s all about exploring what happened and if there’s a conspiracy, I’ll just think, ‘Lame.’”
“I liked it,” said Amy, 39, San Diego. “I liked the way it ended. I’m not too fond of the angst-y teens who do stupid things. I do like the sword fighting — the fighting scenes were fabulous — and I like the supporting cast.”

At the screening Warner Bros. gave out this Revolution button. Get it, it’s an Off Button!
Yet Michelle, 25, Alabama, was a fan of the young lead played by Tracy Spiridakos. “I really liked the young girl, she’s fierce and strong,” she says, though adds: “I’m worried it’s trying too hard to be The Walking Dead.”
“It’s like Terra Nova,” declares Angel, 25, Tuscon. “It’s only 15 years into the future and it looks like 100 years have gone by. I wanted to like it. If I hear it gets better [after the pilot] I’ll watch it.”
Personally, I enjoyed Revolution a bit more than these viewers did — thought I also really liked most of the shows they’re comparing them to (never got into FlashForward).
Finally, Dan, 25, from Indiana, says: “We’re excited. I just hope it’s not another J.J. Abrams failure. I hope it doesn’t fall apart after the first season.”http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/12/comic-con-revolution/

NBC - Photos of Revolution Signings!
http://www.nbc.com/revolution/photos//revolution-signing-at-comic-con-2012/11354#item=251937

Collider.com Reviews Revolution (+ 666 Park Ave, The Following, and The Cult)
As a big-budget post-apocalyptic series directed by Jon Favreau and produced by J.J. Abrams and Supernatural creator Eric Kripke, Revolution is one of the more intriguing shows that will premiere in the fall. Will it live up to the hype? Maybe, but the genre element that will draw many of us in is off to a muddled start in the first episode. I will let NBC try to explain the premise:

“Our entire way of life depends on electricity. So what would happen if it just stopped working? Well, one day, like a switch turned off, the world is suddenly thrust back into the dark ages. Planes fall from the sky, hospitals shut down, and communication is impossible. And without any modern technology, who can tell us why?”

Or as the requisite scientifically nerdy character (played by Zak Orth) puts it, “Physics went insane!” That gives you a good idea of how the writers are treating the central premise. They are truly interested in “Why?” and “Who can tell us why?” But to ask those kinds of questions with a show like this is to enter into dangerous territory. In all likelihood, there is no possible unifying and satisfactory answer to “Why?”, in which case your best-case scenario is Lost and your worst-case scenario is The Event (shudder).

In its first hour, Revolution is somewhere in between. This is not a coherent depiction of a post-apocalyptic world, and I am not immediately invested in any aspect of the Why. Perhaps that is too much to ask for a first episode, but make no mistake: the writers want to hook you now, want you to ask the questions with the characters. At least with me, they failed.

But if you set the mythology aside, Revolution could succeed if it offers engaging character moments and cool standalone stories. And I think the show is effective by this measure. They cast it really well. Billy Burke is solid as the Rick Blaine of the new world, a reluctant hero who is convincingly menacing and funny (no easy task for an actor). I really like Tracy Spirikados as the emotional throughline—she is asked to carry certain melodramatic scenes, and she does so in such a way belies her relative newcomer status. JD Pardo is charismatic as her would-be love interest/technical foe. Graham Rogers stays out of the trap of annoying teenagers in shows like Revolution. Everything stops when Giancarlo Esposito (playing a captain of the evil Monroe Republic) comes on screen—in a good way. This all adds up to a cast of characters that I could enjoy spending time with each week.

The danger is that the mythology will get in the way, if they continue to address the Why without doing so in a captivating way. So I am discouraged that they end on a mythology cliffhanger rather than a character moment, and a truly frustrating one at that. It’s the worst kind of genre storytelling, dependent entirely on pronouns. It is too vague to actually spoil anything, but just to be safe, highlight for the offending final line: “Did they find it?” Ugh.http://collider.com/comic-con-revolution-following-666-park-avenue-cult/179571/

Bleeding Cools Review!
Abigail Raney offers a capsule review of the new show from Eric Kripke, JJ Abrams and pilot director Jon Favreau. As far as I can gather from the trailer, it’s set in a world where electricity no longer works – unless you have a certain magical amulet.

Set 15 years after all the world’s technology suddenly quits, Revolution is the story of the survival of one family, and the mysteries in their past that may hold the key to repowering the world.

Maybe it was the comparison to other, harder-hitting pilots of the evening, but Revolution seemed to me to lack some quality of grit or groundedness that I crave in a post-apocalyptic world. Everything seemed a tad contrived – how aesthetically convenient it was that all those car lights went off in a nice visual sequence, and hey, look how we repurposed this car as a planter!

Despite the heavy body count and the frequent prophesies of doom, I had a hard time believing that any of these characters were in real danger. Or perhaps I just didn’t care… Either way, as of yet, Revolution seems far from revolutionary.

That being said, I did enjoy watching Billy Burke go to town on a bunch of red shirts with a sword.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/12/revolution-pilot-episode-review-from-comic-con/

STAY TUNED FOR PANEL VIDEOS and MORE REVIEWS! :)

EW - Breaks Down Panel Discussion (Showrunners say they have the answers)
When the lights come up, showrunner Eric Kripke assures viewers who may be wary of mythology-based broadcast TV shows that the answers to the mysteries presented in the ambitious show’s first hour are coming. “I can promise you we have the answers,” Kripke says. “The mythology will move forward at an aggressive pace, and we’ll ask new questions.”

The showrunner says he wrote Revolution because he wanted to tell a quest story, and likened it to The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and The Wizard of Oz — a pretty bold comparison. But I do like Kripke’s focus for the story moving forward, describing it as an “epic saga across America with swords and good and evil and heroes and villains.” http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/14/revolution-comic-con/

Slashfilm Reviews of Revolution ( + Arrow, Cult, The Following, and 666 Park Avenue)

GREAT Revolution Information Site (Revolutiontvshow.com) Has Many Photos (Village, WB Extras, Signing, TV Spots, Casting Info, Ect)
http://revolutiontvshow.com/photo-gallery/image/140

TV SPOT! "When the world lost power, I found mine."

Press Room: JD Pardo (Nate), Giancarlo Episito (Captain Neville)

Comic Con Panel Video:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:11 am

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:50 pm

So Revolution's Facebook Page posted a new time line cover photo with a sort of new promo pic...what I mean by sort of new, is that it is basically the same promo art/pic we have seen with Charlie and the Ferris Wheel, along with Miles, Captain Neville, and Arron and Maggie, only Facebook's now seemingly has Nora instead of Maggie! --So I don't know what that means for Maggie? Eric Kripke had said in few interviews lately that there will be a couple of reshoots in the Pilot. I had preseumed that maybe that included Elizabeth Mitchell's character, but I can't see how that would effect Maggie's plot line, since Mitchell's character has been missing, and we could gather from the trailer that Maggie became Ben's love interest, but as for replacing her with Nora, I don't see the point, unless the actress is going to get a better billing, than the other and NBC is starting to compencate????

Here's NBC's Home Page Original with Maggie:http://www.nbc.com/revolution/?__source=nbc-dd
Here's the Facebook Page with Nora:http://www.facebook.com/Revolution

EDIT:
OK! I got a closer look and it's Elizabeth Mitchell's character (sporting darker hair?) that replaces Maggie in the photo, and not Nora...I still hope Maggie is there, because she looks like an interesting character...

Revolution Fan Site also Confirms is Elizabeth Mitchell:http://revolutiontvshow.com/photo-gallery/image/216

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:36 pm

Deadline Confirms Casting Update Info:
Broadcast networks and studios continue to make tweaks to their newly picked-up series, changing and recasting some of the roles. NBC’s highest-profile new drama, J.J. Abrams-Eric Kripke’s Revolution, is reconceiving one character and phasing out another. The action drama follows a group of people struggling to survive in a world where all forms of energy have ceased to exist. The character of Rachel, mother of two of the leads, is being reworked, leading to the departure of Andrea Roth. Rescue Me alumna Roth, who was sought after this past season, played the role in the pilot after getting a straight offer. Meanwhile, the character played in the pilot by Anna Lise Phillips, a doctor, will no longer be regular. Phillips is expected to do several episodes to wrap the character’s storyline.http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/several-more-new-series-undergo-recasting-while-returning-series-addcut-regulars/

Sorry guys, I def missed this! :blush:

So it seems like Elizabeth Mitchell is playing Roth's former character, Rachel Matheson, the wife of Ben and mother of Charlie and Danny. In the Trailer we can gather that Maggie (Anna Lisa Phillips) is Ben's current love interest, which is plausible since Mitchell's casting announcement spoiled us with a reveal that her character has been missing from the lives of her husband and children for quite some time. For whatever reason it seems that Maggie will no longer be with the cast for too long, which I am kind of sad about seeing how it seems like Ben might have died from the gunshot, and I can't help to think Burke and Mitchell will spark some good chemistry, so what would have it hurt to keep Maggie on, or found another way to work he character in????

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:25 pm

New Extended Promo (New Footage):
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/07/revolution-new-extended-promo.html

TCA Panel!

"Revolution": Behind NBC's new post-apocalyptic drama
While much has been made of J.J. Abrams' involvement in NBC's "Revolution," yet another high-concept genre show, it's "Supernatural" creator Eric Kripke who developed the concept for this new post-apocalyptic adventure series -- and fans of The CW's demonic drama will be pleased to hear how much creative DNA the two shows share.

Kripke and co-executive producer Jon Favreau, along with stars Giancarlo Esposito, Billy Burke and Tracy Spiridakos, took the stage at the Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour to discuss the new drama, which divided opinion when HuffPost TV took a look at the pilot.

The series takes place 15 years after all forms of electricity have mysteriously ceased working, forcing the population of the U.S. to regress to an agrarian lifestyle, some keeping to themselves and living off the land, while others find themselves terrorized by local militia. Against this sweeping backdrop, a smaller, family-driven drama takes place, with Tracy Spiridakos' character travelling to find her estranged uncle (Billy Burke), to help rescue her brother from Giancarlo Esposito's menacing Captain Neville.

Though "Revolution" hasn't yet premiered, there's been some confusion as to what the "rules" of the show's universe are, especially in terms of using technology not powered by electricity. "Stay tuned for steam engines, is the short answer," Kripke joked. "It’s about electricity -- anything that throws a spark, any circuit that carries an electrical charge, that is the simple, clean rule, everything expands from that. Batteries and spark plugs and everything that comes from electricity [won't work]. We actually brought a physicist into the [writers'] offices and we pitched him the concept and our secret of why it all happened ... His face just lit up and he said, 'That’s absolutely possible!' So we did our homework and came up with something that’s actually plausible."

Will audiences see "Revolution" just after the blackout occurred ... 15 years before this story takes place? "We're gonna have flashbacks in every episode. We call them epi-pens of adrenaline, of what happened in those first days after the blackout and how people survived, what happened, how they made their way out of the cities, how they found food and water," Kripke said. "I think it’s effective in small doses. It’s very harrowing and very dark. It was important to me and Jon and J.J. to tell this story that isn’t about death but is about rebirth and hope and adventure. [The flashbacks tell] a story about society falling apart. We were interested in telling a story about society coming together."

Though audiences are admittedly wary of investing in heavily-serialized stories only to see them unceremoniously cancelled when the ratings aren't up to par, Kripke promised that he would avoid leaving audiences guessing. "I’m not a fan of endless mystery in storytelling –- I like to know where the mythology’s going, I like to get there in an exciting, fast-paced way; enough that there’s a really clear, aggressive direction to where it’s going, to pay off mystery and reward the audience’s loyalty. You can answer the questions and ask new ones. I’m thrilled for the opportunity to have 22 episodes: that lets me reveal many different facets of these characters and make them into human, likeable, interesting people. Some elements of this show are serialized, but it’s not completely serialized, we’re populating a whole world and different towns that can have skirmishes with the militia and so forth. I like to tell stories that have beginnings, middles and ends."

Favreau agreed that audiences still have a tremendous appetite for serialized storytelling, thanks in large part to the example set by cable. "There’s always gonna be dumb stuff out there [on TV] but the audience is becoming increasingly sophisticated. But, saying that -- while there’s an underlying mystery, we still want to make it about the emotion and the characters ... so that people can miss a few weeks and jump in and still understand who the characters are."

Speaking of characters, Kripke took the time to address the female characters on "Revolution." "I think we have a fairly equal cast in terms of gender, and that was more just in reaction to 'Supernatural,' which only has two main characters and I wanted to do an ensemble with a large, sweeping cast," he said. "The real tonal touchstone for me was 'Lord of the Rings,' and that level of sprawling epic storytelling, but instead of set in a fantastical kingdom, we wanted it to be grounded in a strange, but strangely familiar America."

Spiridakos, who plays the leading role of Charlie, said she even does her own stunts. "I do kickboxing on my own," she said. "I’ve grown up with guys my whole life. The action part and the stunts part excites me and is really fun."

Esposito, who played the evil Gus Fring on "Breaking Bad," talked about playing the bad guy yet again as the head of the militia in "Revolution." "It’s delicious to play this bad guy –- every new character, I try to create someone new. I like to create a bad guy and make him someone good, doing things for the right reasons. He’s the one step keeping everyone safe, without him there’d be anarchy. Is he as bad as you think he is? Wait and see. He does something for a group of people that he needs to help."
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/07/revolution-season-1-tca-panel.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:40 am

"Timeline" Olympic-Themed Promo!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:07 am

New Extended Promo-Preview (Elizabeth Mitchell now included :) !)
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/08/revolution-extended-promo.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shows Spoilers