Reviewing Supernatural from the beginning

General discussion for 'Supernatural'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: Reviewing Supernatural from the beginning

Postby Bec666 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:55 pm

Bloodlust

The first time I saw this one I wasn't a big fan of it. But I've watched it several times since and like it now. I can't stand Gordon and it always bugged me how quickly Dean 'bonded' to him. Like Sam said, 'he's a lousy replacement for Dad'. Still not one of my favorites.....7.5 out of 10.

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things.

Loved the interaction with the brothers in this one. I thought they made Sam go a bit overboard about Dean though. I mean 'normal' Sam wouldn't have shrugged off the dead grass and tree around the grave. And he wouldn't have just brushed off Dean's hunches either. I felt the writers made him a bit too 'this is all about dad' in this one. That said, I loved the scene when Sam confronted Dean. "Please, Dean, it's killing you, please. We've already lost dad, we've lost mom, I've lost Jessica. And now I'm gonna lose you too?" And Dean's answer "We better get out of here before the cops come. I hear you, okay? Yeah, I'm being an ass and I'm sorry."

All in all I'd say a 8.5 out of 10.

Simon Said

The only one of the 'psychic kids' episodes I actually liked. :) But it bugged me that they never really addressed the ending of C.S.P.W.D. That kind of made me mad, it was just business as usual. Which they did a lot on this show. Just move on like it never happened. Still a very powerful and moving episode.

Best line... "Dude, he full on Obi Wan'd me!" :rofl:
ImageImage Image
I'm a Sam Girl, but I've been known to cheat....
Sometimes life's Hell. But hey! Whatever gets the marshmallows toasty.
Bec666
Guest Star

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby CLDeangrl on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:06 pm

Bloodlust

Loved this one. I didn't think it was at all odd that Dean "bonded" with Gordon so quickly. Dean was reeling at that point, trying to make sense of Dad's death and it was the beginning of his true journey into adulthood and figuring out who exactly he is, which he's still trying to do in the current time of the series. I loved how Sam confronted him about trying to substitute for Dad and I absolutely loved the very ending when Sam told him that he wasn't really like Gordon because he stopped himiself from killing Lenore and the others. I thought it was very powerful character development and I loved how the roles were sort of reversed with Dean being the troubled one and Sam offering the advice. The addition of Gordon was an inspired one, imo. Sort of a caution about what the guys could become if they let the life take them too far. Good stuff!

9 out of 10

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

Another of my favorites. First off, both guys looked incredibly HOT in this one...but that's just the icing on the cake. The real pull was the storyline itself. Yes, the guys are usually far more trusting of each other so it did seem out of character for Sam not to trust Dean, it was particularly odd that he shrugged off the dead grass and tree, but underneath it all they are still human and Sam's reaction was just that, very human. He made a mistake in failing to trust Dean's instincts...it happens. Hell, Dean would fail to trust Sam in far bigger ways in the future, so I don't see why it should be so hard to buy that Sam could make the same mistake. Anyhoo, I loved how they ratcheted up the tension in Dean with the whole realization that Dad had died to save him and I loved how Sam continued to sound the voice of reason. Yeah, that confrontation scene was definitely awesome. But it was actually when they were leaving the cemetary at the very end that was the best scene...the two of them as brothers, Sam saying his wrist was broken and Dean saying they'd get it taken care of. It was the first time in the whole episode that they were back on an even keel and you felt like they could get past Dad's death and go on together. And then they sucker punch us with the last scene. Loved it...once again, they both nailed the emotion. Those two say so much without ever saying a word. Just a great episode!

9.5 out of 10

Simon Said

Definitely agreed that letting the end of the previous episode dangle was REALLY frustrating. They never seem to follow up on those chick flick moments! Otherwise, this was a good episode. I liked Andy and it was interesting to see, especially after the whole Max Miller deal, that not all the psychic kids had to be troubled and tormented. And I loved that it gave Sam a glimmer of hope for himself. I also found it interesting that Dean was holding on to the idea that Andy wasn't a homicidal maniac so strongly. He wanted so badly to believe that it wouldn't happen to Sam and we found out several episodes later just why. I still can't watch this one without yelling at my screen, "Dude, you don't just give up the CAR!". I still can't believe Dean did that! :rofl: All in all, it was a good episode though I was never sold on the whole psychic kids storyline.

8 out of 10
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Pigeon666 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Bloodlust

Bloodlust was a mixed bag for me. On one hand I was really intrigued by the plot and the plot point introduced that "Not all monsters are evil". Lenore was one of my favourite monsters because she was really fleshed out. On the other hand, I just wasnt feeling the brotherly interaction here. Gordon was a terrific new character, but this episode was just missing something.

7 out of 10

Children Shouldnt Play with Dead Things

I LOVED this episode. The brother moments were flat out awesome and the monster and plot were even better. Also the twist with the proffesor was great. However I agree that Sam was a little out of character with the dead grass.

9 out of 10
"Some people are like slinkies: completely useless, but put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs."
"Do these tacos taste funny to you?" - Dean Winchester

What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel it somehow
Pigeon666
Show Expert

Postby Aaronia on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:42 pm

I love the gradual portray of how Dean and Sam deal with their dad's death during episodes 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4.

The scenes between the brothers in 2.2. are the greatest for me, together with Dean's breaksown at the end (the poor guy is also being eaten alive by the horrible secret about his brother, which he can't talk about, even when Sam keeps telling him that he must talk and deal with everything). The case about the clown is alright. It's awful that they have to run away as outcasts after saving the girl from the clown during the night. It shows how ungrateful their job can turn out to be for them. And I did like the Harvelles and Ash a lot.

2.3. made a great impression on me. I loved the moral dilemma and how Sam gets lo show Dean that they shouldn't kill Lenore and her nest's vampires. Dean is actually finding in Gordon the father figure he misses so much, but Sam calls him out on that, getting a big punch from his brother. I just love all those dynamics, they are superbly portrayed. Then Dean gets to apologize and even thank Sam for helping him to be a better person. This is a big contrast with the idea that he might need to kill his little brother as a monster some day, when Dean really believes Sam is a better person than he is. We also hear that Gordon had to kill his own sister when turned into a vampire, what produces a big impression on Dean. He just can't deal with all of that by himself, and that is why he was enjoying so much the beheading of the poor pacific vampire, beginning a destructive path that Sam could avert on time.

2.4. Somehow I didn't find this episode so rich as the others, but it does develop their mourning, and Dean finally verbalizes his fear that his dad made some negotiation with the YED to bring him back from death. This would be a big burden for him during the whole season.

And I love 2.5, it's just perfect. With a bit of humor and some more information about the special kids. Andy was great and the case was very interesting.

I also have enjoyed very much all your other comments about these episodes.
Aaronia
Extra

Postby CLDeangrl on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:16 pm

Bloodlust

Bloodlust was a mixed bag for me. On one hand I was really intrigued by the plot and the plot point introduced that "Not all monsters are evil". Lenore was one of my favourite monsters because she was really fleshed out. On the other hand, I just wasnt feeling the brotherly interaction here. Gordon was a terrific new character, but this episode was just missing something.

Seriously, Pigeon? How could you not be feeling the brotherly interaction? For me this one was all about the brotherly interaction...about Sam trying to force Dean to deal with his feelings and Dean trying to deal with the loss of Dad and then the whole scene at the very end when Sam reassures him that he's not like Gordon. I thought that interaction was awesome, and so well handled by both Jared and Jensen.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Pigeon666 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Well now that you mention it...maybe i just have to watch the episode again. For some reason, I havent watched that episode in quite a while. Case in point as I completely forgot the end of episode interaction. :)
"Some people are like slinkies: completely useless, but put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs."
"Do these tacos taste funny to you?" - Dean Winchester

What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel it somehow
Pigeon666
Show Expert

Postby Bec666 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:31 am

I find when I rewatch them I see a lot more.
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:33 am

Yeah, me too...there's always stuff I miss the first time through. Even the first few times! :D
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:30 am

ok I think I'll just end this cause it seems to have run it's course. No one is really posting in it.
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby SuperSerb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Amazing show, I've seen all 6 seasons in like 2 weeks. :w00t: Got really addicted, one of my favourite living shows. :)
I'm really looking forward to see what writers have prepared for us in this season.
Great reviews of the episodes, I must say. :thumbup:
SuperSerb
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:10 pm

I am SO stoked for the season premeire tonight...can not wait!! :w00t:
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:29 am

I cannot wait. 30 minutes to go!!!!!
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:54 pm

Ok let's see if we can't pick this back up. I'm curious to see if any of our new members have some input as well. :)

Next Up:

Season 2 - Episode 6 - No Exit

Ellen's daughter Jo proves to the Winchester brothers Ash taught her well to research a case file, notably on a Philadelphia apartment building where young blond female residents disappear since about 80 years, but after so many years the police never considered a serial killing. Dean reluctantly takes the case which seems genuine when Sam finds ectoplasm, but even covers for Jo when she follows them and quickly rents the room of the latest victim, understands when he finds she's hell-bent on 'hunting', even serving as bait, because it's her way to feel closer to her late dad, who once was a partner of pa Winchester. Ellen shows them the building is next to a former prison, the list of executed murderers includes the real name of H.H. Holmes, the first-ever American to be dubbed a serial (at the time 'multiple') killer.

My thoughts

Not one of my favorite episodes but it was still good. I think the ending was actually the best part when Ellen told Jo about what really happened to her father. For the main story line I don't know, I found parts a bit disjointed but it had some great lines.
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:09 pm

Not one of my favorite Season Two episodes, but there were parts I liked. I liked the development between Jo and Dean and loved the ending when Ellen told Jo the truth about her father. I kind of always wished they'd followed up on that with the boys...it was just Jo dropping that bomb and then walking off, which was kind of disappointing. All in all, not bad though. And I always found the baddie in this one one of the creepier ones the guys ever faced!
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Previous

Return to Supernatural Discussion [No spoilers!]