Reviewing Supernatural from the beginning

General discussion for 'Supernatural'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: Reviewing Supernatural from the beginning

Postby Bec666 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:21 am

Next up:
Season 1, Episode 18: Something Wicked

Original Air Date—6 April 2006
Sam and Dean investigate a small town in Wisconsin where children are falling into comas for no apparent reason. The brothers discover that a witch is creeping into the bedrooms of the children and stealing their "life force." While battling the witch, Dean recalls a past mistake that almost cost Sam his life at the hands of the very same witch, an event which has fueled Dean's protectiveness over Sam and his blind obedience to his father.

Ok, loved this one. From the brothers to the Striga. It was just great. Loved the flashback into Sam and Dean's childhood. You finally got to see a tiny bit of how they grew up. To ask Dean to take on that kind of responsibility... made me shake my head. John may have been a good father but jeez....

The Striga was just awesome too. I have this freak out fear of something at the window and when those long fingers scratched at it..... :scared:

I'd give this one a 9 out of 10
ImageImage Image
I'm a Sam Girl, but I've been known to cheat....
Sometimes life's Hell. But hey! Whatever gets the marshmallows toasty.
Bec666
Guest Star

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby CLDeangrl on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:32 am

Absolutely LOVE this episode! The Striga was just freaky...brought back that whole freak out from the movie Poltergeist when the tree reached in the window for the kids. One the best creatures of the whole season.

And then there was the whole brothers subtext. I loved the way they drew the comparison between Michael and his little brother and Dean and Sam and then the flashbacks just cemented it. Love the kid who plays young Dean, he just nails the part, imo.

And I loved the window we got into Dean's character...why he does what he does and how seriously he takes his responsibility for his brother.

My favorite moment was at the end when Dean stopped the Striga from attacking Sam and looked over at him and asked "Are you ok, little brother?" and Sam gave him the thumbs up. That moment just got me. :wub:

Just a really well done episode from start to finish.

Definite 9 out of 10 for me.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:32 am

Just keeping it moving. :)

Season 1, Episode 19: Provenance

Original Air Date—13 April 2006
A young couple is murdered in their home shortly after buying an antique painting of a family portrait circa 1910. Upon reviewing the painting's provenance, Sam and Dean learn that everyone who has ever bought the painting has been murdered and race to discover how the portrait is causing the deaths before it can claim its next victim.

I loved this one. First off I will start with Sarah. I loved her and thought she was perfect for Sam. The two of them just worked together. I also like that she wasn't this weak woman that hid behind the boys the whole show. And Sam.. sigh.. The scene with him talking to Dean about Jess. Both men nailed it big time. You had to giggle the way Dean kept nudging Sam to be with Sarah, I know I did.

And the 'eek' factor. That picture and the little girl were just creepy. I have a thing about creepy pictures. Goes all the way back to my 'Night Gallery' days. Images moving in a picture would so creep me out.

My vote for this one? 9 out of 10.

Bit of Trivia, in the scene when Sam, Dean and Sarah are looking at the picture (after the old lady is killed), Dean calls Sam something, what is it? And NO Sue you can't answer. Let the others play :)
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:37 am

Well fine, but I'd given up on the trivia since no-one was answering MY questions. :PP :D

As for the episode...I loved this one too. As you said, the creep factor was great, one of the better "creatures" they had. Classic horror movie stuff. And yes, the idea of a painting coming to life is BIG TIME freaky.

I also loved Sarah. Thought she and Sam went together perfectly and I can not watch the dinner scene without thinking of the gag reel and giggling. It was sweet to see Sam finally coming out of his shell a bit after Jess and the scene where he admitted to Sarah that the idea of someone getting close to him and getting hurt scared him just kills me.

I also loved the very end when he kissed her and Dean said "That's my boy!". So classic Dean! :D

Again, I'll agree with the 9 out of 10 rating.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:54 pm

Ok You guys are gonna have to catch up! :)

Season 1, Episode 20: Dead Man's Blood

Original Air Date—20 April 2006
After Daniel Elkins, a vampire hunter and John's mentor, is murdered, Sam and Dean are surprised when John himself shows up to solve the case. John discovers the vampires have taken an antique gun, which has the power to kill all supernatural beings. The Winchester family sets out to retrieve the gun from the vampires so they can use it to kill the demon that took Sam and Dean's mother.

I had mixed feelings about this one. I loved having Dad back and I loved the scenes with him and Sam. Also thought the Vampires were pretty awesome. So what are the mixed feelings? I just sort of felt it lacked something. I'm not even sure what the 'something' was. I enjoyed it a lot but I think I'd give it a 8 out of 10.
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:58 pm

I know what you mean, bec. I always thought it was lacking something too, but can't put my finger on what. I do love how SPN handles vampires, though. SO much better than the majority of the gothic/romancy type crap that's out there now. Fits in perfectly with the rest of the show and is much more "realistic" imo, if you can call anything about vamps "realisitc". :D

For me, though, the interaction between Dad and the boys is what really made the episode. I LOVED finally getting to see them all in action together. It was amazing how they all immediately fell back into old patterns with Sam and Dad butting heads and Dean trying to be the peacemaker. And I absolutely loved that Dean eventually came around to Sam's side of things and stood up to Dad. That whole part of it was totally awesome and the episodes with Dad always made me wish Jeffrey Dean Morgan could've stayed around a little longer...he was such a great addition to the show and worked SO well with Jensen and Jared...just a perfect combo!

Still, overall I'd give this one an 8.5 out of 10.

If anyone's still paying attention to the questions...what did Dad say he did with Sam and Dean's college funds?
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:12 pm

Spent them on ammunition :) Still a few other questions out there gang!
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby Dahne on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:31 am

CLDeangrl wrote:Going back to "Shadow" and Dahne's comment...I actually thought that scene was good. I didn't think it was out of character for Dean at all. He wants his family...the only family he's ever had has been Sam and Dad, it makes perfect sense that that would mean so much to him. I thought it worked, but that's just me.

I agree that Dean wants his family together hunting but it was completely out of character in my opinion to have him say that out loud to Sam. Much less whine about it. Dean keeps his emotions in but in this episode it's like the writers wanted to spell out the drama to sell the ending scene when Dean lets John go over Sam's wishes. SPN writers are not normally that clumsy or off the mark. If I remember right, even Jensen protested that it seemed strange to him too.
Dahne
Show Expert

Postby Dahne on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:40 am

Hell House has its ups and downs for me. The best part was the tulpa and the twist with the BoC symbol for me, but I never liked the future Ghostfacers. Even in this episode they annoyed the stuffing out of me.

Something Wicked is one of my favorites in season 1. I LOVED Michael. The actor who played him did a great job and the flashbacks are some of my favorite parts. I liked how they paralleled Michael's desire to defend his brother and Dean's experience as a kid. However, if I hadn't already hated John because of Faith, I would have hated him here. What kind of person leaves his 2 young sons alone in an area where a monster preys on siblings? It's like he was using them for bait. Ugh, I can't stand John.

Provenance is in my top 25 episodes of all. There's nothing that didn't work for me. Sarah was perfect and I hope they bring her back. The monster was one of the scariest in my opinion and it had great lines. Definitely high marks for this one.

Dead Man's Blood isn't a favorite but I didn't hate it either. It seemed a bit slow and I hate John. The vampire thing never blew my skirt but it wasn't terrible either. A middling episode in which the best thing was it brought us the Colt.
Dahne
Show Expert

Postby Aaronia on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:41 pm

Hi, I have not been inspired to add anything new during the last few days, but I'm following your comments with great interest.

"Shadow" kind of disappointed me too. And I love "Something Wicked", my second favorite of the season after "Faith", for all the reasons already mentioned.

"Hell House" was really a pleasant surprise for me. I'm usually not too receptive to comic episodes, I guess my sense of humor is a bit different than the general mainstream one, so most of the time I do have a problem with that. But I really enjoyed "Hell House", for the brotherly pranks, the philosophical undercurrent and even the first appearance of the future Ghostfacers (I didn't enjoy the rest of the Ghostfacers appearances in Supernatural, nor other comic episodes as "Tall Tales", but did also enjoy "Bad Day at Black Rock", "Monster Movie" and to a certain extent also "Hollywood Babylon" and "Yellow Fever"). Supernatural has made me appreciate the "special" episodes, those which kind of change the genre of the show. I believe "Hell House" is really the first one in the row of all those later experiments, but it was also still very subtle. It is still a horror episode, but with a great comic component. It has also a bit of "meta" elements, really subtle and clever: we face two guys who want to make believe that they are real ghost fighters, but they are kind of bad amateur ones (we could say they comically reflect Jared and Jensen, playing as the brave hunters that Sam and Dean are but they aren't), and then at the end there is this allusion to go to Hollywood and make a show about it. The magnificent sentence expressing that the ghosts or monsters perhaps only exist because of our believing in them is kind of a "meta" element too, but does also play in a real deep philosophical level. So, for all these elements I regard this episode as pure brilliance and the necessary first step in a real successful streak of originality in the whole series (again, I'm not referring to the "Ghostfacers" per se).

"Provenance" I have enjoyed a lot better in a second viewing, because of the character of Sarah and the way Sam reacts to her attentions (as already commented by previous posters), which also affects Dean of course. Dean does push his brother to make some romantic moves and is proud of his boy at the end, but also resents not being thanked for his efforts and clearly not being the center of attention or the biggest hero in the eyes of the person they are helping this time. It’s quite an interesting portrayal of both brothers at that moment, just before the big end of the season.

“Dead Man Blood” is a very good episode for the vampires, the colt and the interaction of the brothers with their Dad, as already commented here. I don’t hate John Winchester, although I do see the negative points that Dahne highlights about him. I choose to cut him some slack, to imagine that some circumstances might have forced him to make those bad choices when taking care of his young sons. At the end of the day, Sam and Dean both love him and have him in great regard, even though they understand he had his flaws.
Aaronia
Extra

Postby CLDeangrl on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:32 pm

Dahne wrote:
CLDeangrl wrote:Going back to "Shadow" and Dahne's comment...I actually thought that scene was good. I didn't think it was out of character for Dean at all. He wants his family...the only family he's ever had has been Sam and Dad, it makes perfect sense that that would mean so much to him. I thought it worked, but that's just me.

I agree that Dean wants his family together hunting but it was completely out of character in my opinion to have him say that out loud to Sam. Much less whine about it. Dean keeps his emotions in but in this episode it's like the writers wanted to spell out the drama to sell the ending scene when Dean lets John go over Sam's wishes. SPN writers are not normally that clumsy or off the mark. If I remember right, even Jensen protested that it seemed strange to him too.

First off, I never saw it as Dean "whining" in that scene, anymore than Sam was. They were both simply expressing their thoughts about what they'd do when they'd finally achieved the goal they'd been so focus on for 22 years. Dean was 4 years old when he had the rug pulled out from under him, then, much closer to the time of this series happening, he had it pulled out from under him again when Sam went off to college. I actually found it fascinating and quite refreshin that this seemingly ultra macho guy was allowing us to see the vulnerable side of him. Made me think along the lines of, well if someone like Dean can feel that way then maybe it's not so stupid for the rest of to feel that way...you know what I mean? I never heard that about Jensen protesting the scene, but I can understand that it would've felt strange to him as it was the first time that Dean had ever expressed that part of himself. Of course, five seasons later that scene almost seems underwhelming in terms of emotional expressions. Dean has bared his soul much more and many times over between then and now. I bet if you asked Jensen about it now, he'd have a different take on it entirely. Just a guess on my part.

As for John in "Something Wicked", I understand your reaction to him...I had the same one at first. Really disliked the whole character of Dad, but the more time we spent with him and the more we came to understand the Winchesters life as a whole and the circumstances surrounding it, the more I was able to empathize. Yeah, John made some lousy choices along the way but he is human, and he made those choices for the right reasons...he was trying to do the right thing, stop evil, avenge his family, he just went about it the wrong way - a trait he unfortunately passed on to both sons as we came to find out. But he is human...nobody ever said he was perfect...and he passed on a whole lot of pretty good traits to his boys along with the crappy stuff, so I can't hate him entirely.

-- Merged Double Post --

Aaronia...I hear you on "Hell House". One of the things I love the most about this show is that despite the extremely serious and often horrific nature of it, they also manage to give us bright spots and allow us to smile. I don't think all of the humorous shows have been entirely successful, but I do love the concept. And I think Hell House was one of the more successful of those humorous episodes.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:37 pm

I liked John Winchester. Considering the life they had to live I think he did the best he could. He not only had to try and keep his kids safe but he was obsessed with finding the thing that killed Mary.
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:19 am

Season 1, Episode 21: Salvation

Original Air Date—27 April 2006
Meg turns to killing John's friends in order to get the Colt. Sam and Dean stakeout the Demon's next target; a family with a six month old baby showing signs of special abilities. John heads off alone to confront Meg.

Hmmm not sure how I liked this one. Loved the ending with Sam wanting to go into the burning house. Liked the scene with Dean pouring his guts out to Sam. Can't get enough of the brothers bonding :)

Still the part with Dad and Meg, I dunno, it was good but I felt something was lacking. Liked the holy water trick though.

I'd give it 8 out of 10
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:21 pm

I agree that this one seemed to be lacking something. I loved getting to see Dad and the boys working together, and yes can not get enough of the brothely bond. Meg and her sidekick were definitely freaky and it was cool to see John confronting them, but it was still kind of choppy somehow.

I have to say, though, I loved the whole thing with Sam trying to save the baby from the same fate that he'd endured. How heart tugging was that?

I'd say an 8 out 10
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:03 pm

Sorry for adding so many so fast but I want to speed it up a little.:)

Season 1, Episode 22: Devil's Trap

Original Air Date—4 May 2006
Sam and Dean seek help from Bobby Singer, an old family friend in their mission to save their father from Meg. The brothers set a trap for Meg.

This one made up for what was missing in the previous episode. Meg exorcised was great. They knew she would die but had no choice. Sammy getting the absolute crap kicked out of him.. Dad possessed... killing (almost) Dean... and the ending.... O.o Thank god I had Season two ready and waiting.

10 out of 10 for me.
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

PreviousNext

Return to Supernatural Discussion [No spoilers!]