Reviewing Supernatural from the beginning

General discussion for 'Supernatural'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: Reviewing Supernatural from the beginning

Postby Dahne on Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:21 am

Salvation - The best thing about it was the previouslies. That about sums it up.

Devil's Trap ties for the best episode of the season for me. The scene with possessed John is still one of my favorites in the whole series. It also had great tension and action, continuation of the mytharc, and an ending that created the word hellatus. No summer was ever longer for me than waiting to figure out if the Impala was going to make it. And the humans of course. Awesome all around. Oh and Dean tells John off..kind of.
Dahne
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby CLDeangrl on Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:24 am

This one definitely made up for the previous episode. The scene with possessed Dad was one of the best of the entire season if not the entire series. All three actors just absolutely nailed that scene. Excorising Meg was another highlight, and of course this episode introduced us to the one and only Bobby Singer...arguably the best addition to the show after the three Winchesters. I will say, as much as I had built up empathy for Dad by the end of this season, when I first watched this my immediate thought was, "Screw dad, they killed the Impala!" :rofl: That was pure evil genius on the part of Eric Kripke...damn you, Eric Kripke! :D

Set the standard for season finales too, imo. A definite 10 out of 10.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:11 am

Season 2, Episode 1: In My Time of Dying
Original Air Date—28 September 2008
In the aftermath of the car crash, the surviving Winchesters go to the hospital, where one is stalked by a Reaper while another must consider sacrificing himself to save the others.

Don't have time for my review right now so I'll be back later with one.
ImageImage Image
I'm a Sam Girl, but I've been known to cheat....
Sometimes life's Hell. But hey! Whatever gets the marshmallows toasty.
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:56 pm

Absolutely OUTSTANDING beginning to what is one of my favorite seasons. Just love Season Two, but particularly the early episodes. I was SO glad I was watching on DVD my first time through though, because there was no way I'd have lasted a whole summer waiting to find out what happened to everyone...and the car!

I thought they handled this one beautifully and it was just chock full of incredible performances. As usual, Jensen, Jared and Jeffrey Dean absolutley nailed their respective parts. Watching Jared portraying Sam's anguish over Dean just broke my heart. And the scene where Dad said his final farewell to Dean...dayum...a two kleenex moment...hell, more like a two kleenex BOX moment. And Jensen did a tremendous job of portraying Dean's fear and confusion at the prospect of being a spirit.

As if all of that wasn't great enough, we had Fred Lane giving a stellar performance as Azazel. The man just rocked the role. Dripping with evil yet with just the right amount of snarkiness. His showdown with Dad was another classic moment handled beautifully by two exceptional actors.

I thought it set us up perfectly for the season to come but I have to admit, love him or hate him, I was sorry to see Dad go.

This one gets a 10 out of 10 for me.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:36 pm

I loved this one as well. Jensen knocked it out of the park with his role. Acting when everyone else is pretending you aren't there had to be a killer. He did it so well. I loved how he talked to Sam, even when Sam couldn't hear him. And Sam, man he broke my heart when he told Dean he didn't know what else to do. I loved how he and Dad interacted too. As much as Sam loves his father you can see his bond with Dean so clearly.

Have to give this one a 10 out of 10.
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby Aaronia on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:11 pm

I do love "In My Time Of Dying", it's probably the episode I have seen more times, for all the reasons above. And then I'm just in love with almost every episode of season two.

But somehow I did enjoy "Salvation" better than "Devil's Trap". I liked Sam trying to save baby Rose and her family from the Winchesters fate, and then I probably should see "Devil's Trap" again, because when I remember the finales this one doesn't stand out to me so much as the season two, three and five finales. I'll give it anohter try.
Aaronia
Extra

Postby Bec666 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:35 pm

I loved Season 2 as well. Next up is probably my all time favorite episode....

Season 2, Episode 2: Everybody Loves a Clown

Original Air Date—5 October 2006
Sam and Dean listen to a message on John's cell phone from a woman named Ellen (guest star Samantha Ferris)and decide to track her down. They are shocked to discover Ellen runs a road house that also serves as a gathering place for hunters like themselves. Meanwhile, at a small town carnival, a demonic clown is persuading children to let them into their home so he can murder their parents.

As I said, this is one if not my most favorite episode. The angst between the brothers was heart breaking. When Dean and Sam were on the road and Dean yelled at Sam my heart broke. The look on Sam's face..... And the ending... what can you say? Sam telling Dean he was right, and that he was not ok, but neither was Dean. Then Dean going postal on the Impala... ouch...

The clown twist was just perfect too. I mean you either love clowns or hate them. Sam's expression when he saw the clown and the clown chair... :rofl: Cracked me up...

On a side note, Sam looked SOOOO young in this one. It was the last episode that he looked like a 'little brother'. The next episode the producer's changed his hair style and Sam grew up.

10 out of 10 for this one. :)
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Love, love, LOVE this episode too! Starting from the very beginning...the scene where the guys are burning Dad's body. Oh my Lord, what a powerful scene. With barely any words, Jensen and Jared both expressed so much...just the looks on their faces said it all. I just adore that scene.

Then we have the Roadhouse. I liked the concept of the Roadhouse and I loved Ellen as a character. Was never quite as sold on Jo. And this also introduced one of my favorite extra characters, Ash. Just love him...he cracks me up, but I love that he's a genius too. :D

The case itself was great...plays on that innate issue we almost all have with clowns. Sam certainly had it. The scene with him sitting in the clown chair was too much! :rofl:

And of course, the blow up on the road. That scene always frustrated me because it felt unfinished. I hated how Sam walked off after Dean yelled at him, then came back from making his phone call and just went on discussing the Rakshasa as if nothing had happened. But it all just highlighted the tension both brother's were feeling after Dad's death. Which, obviously, came to a head in the final scene. One of my favorite scene's of the entire show. When Dean went off on the Impala, again it was Jensen conveying so much without ever saying a word. All of Dean's anger, frustration and sadness was just laid bare. An incredible moment and perfect capper to an awesome episode.

A definite 10 out of 10
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Dahne on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:56 pm

I really enjoyed In My Time of Dying. Inf act, I think I like it more every time I see it. I was thrilled when John died, frustrated when he whispered in Dean's ear. loved the references and one-liners, and was just so darn relieved when the episode came on after such a long hellatus. Plus, Tessa is always a welcome addition to an episode.

I didn't like Everybody Loves a Clown, but I didn't think it was the worst of season two. I wasn't a fan of the Roadhouse addition or the clowns, but I have to admit that I never had any clown fear until seeing it here. It was a scary episode and gets points as such.
Dahne
Show Expert

Postby Pigeon666 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:55 pm

Argh, I missed a lot....ah well.

In my Time of dying is my favourite season premiere and one of my favourites of season 2. A very nice twist at the end and beatiful acting...also, the Dean-is-a-ghost storyline rocked, as well as the reaper Tessa.

9 out of 10

Everybody Loves a Clown i didnt think was nearly as good...but not a bad episode to be sure. Im with Dahne in saying that the clown fear was the first ive felt in a looong time. Also i loved the monster and the brotherly interactions, but i hated the roadhouse. Though i did warm to it eventually.

7 put of 10.
"Some people are like slinkies: completely useless, but put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs."
"Do these tacos taste funny to you?" - Dean Winchester

What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel it somehow
Pigeon666
Show Expert

Postby Bec666 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:01 pm

I liked Ash and Ellen but didn't care much about the roadhouse. I just loved the relation between the brothers. And the clowns.LOL
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:19 pm

I didn't mind the Roadhouse. Didn't think it was really necessary, but I didn't mind it. Liked Ellen and Ash, the rest I could live without.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:15 pm

The rest? That only left Jo. Meoww... your claws are showing again CL :) :P
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:44 pm

Already said I wasn't sold on Jo...I had no problem with the idea of her but I didn't think the character was well executed. Just a Dean girl's perspective. :D
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:41 pm

Ok I was stalling so others could post but I guess that's it. You know you can always go back if you missed any. I'm going to speed things up a bit. So we can move along.

Season 2, Episode 3: Bloodlust

Original Air Date—12 October 2006
The Winchester brothers enjoy Dean's new baby: a shiny newly restored car, while checking out a report of two recent human deaths and over a dozen split-open cows in the small town of Red Lodge, Montana. The local sheriff laughs at Sam and Dean's idea that a cult is behind it, claiming it happens naturally in the sun. But when Sam and Dean sneak into the morgue under false pretenses, they find a victim that has retractable vampire fangs. They catch black demon hunter Gordon Walker, who claims to be a friend of their late father and having made both kills after six months of vampire chasing started years before to avenge his sister who was killed by a vampire. Dean confesses to him he misses his seemingly unstoppable dad desperately. The boys are just in time to save Gordon from another vampire, but Ellen Harvelle warns Sam that Gordon is capable, but too dangerous to work with. Returning to the motel, Sam is knocked down and kidnapped by the vampires led by Eli and Lenore, who claim their kind feeds on only cows. Being released unharmed, Sam believes them, but feels Dean's fist for forsaking their mission and suggesting Dean joins Gordon as a poor substitute for father. Then Gordon goes after the nest alone, anyway...

Season 2, Episode 4: Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things

Original Air Date—19 October 2006
Sam insists to visit ma Mary's grave, although empty and meaningless to Dean, who is however intrigued in the cemetery by the perfect circle of dead vegetation around the three days old grave of local college student Angela Mason who died in a car accident, suspecting the ground is desecrated, Sam thinks it's another diversion not to have to think about either deceased Winchester parent. Her roommate Lindsey says Angela's grieving boyfriend Matt Harrison just slit his throat, all plants in his place are also dead. Another student, Neil Levine, tells Matt blamed himself because Angela caught him with another girl the night of her accident, the boys find her grave empty except for a necromantic spell in Ancient Greek. Dean accuses Angela's pa, Dr. Mason, but Sam notices healthy plants and fears for his brother's sanity. Angela was actually resurrected by Neil, her still enamored ex, alas as a zombie who kills for revenge. Next target is Lindsey, the one she caught with Matt, but the Winchester boys are in time to save her and need to lure Angela back to her grave bed and make Neil admit she's in his house, however he refuses to help either side...

Season 2, Episode 5: Simon Said

Original Air Date—26 October 2006
Visions show Sam, still hunting for the master demon with Dean, the way to another small town where paranormal events occur, some innocent, some chillingly evil. The Winchester brothers are convinced it's all the paranormal work of 23 year-old Andy Gallagher, but doubt as that boy, although a bit of an outcast looser living in a van filled with philosophy as well as rock music seems sincerely surprised and using his powers with self-control. Soon they find after rescuing Tracy from what seems his work there is another at least as able and less scrupled, in fact Andy's secret twin-brother, whose vengeance for their separation strikes out mercilessly, a cool killer, which even Andy may be unable to help the brothers stop in his sadistic steps...
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

PreviousNext

Return to Supernatural Discussion [No spoilers!]