Season 7 - Episode 11 - Adventures In Babysitting

General discussion for 'Supernatural'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Season 7 - Episode 11 - Adventures In Babysitting

Postby CLDeangrl on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:15 am

So this is what we waited a month for?!

Ok, let me just start out by saying how disappointed I am that Bobby actually died. I was so hoping he'd somehow pull through.

That being said, he did go out the right way, with a fitting farewell. Too bad the follow up to that farewell had to be so weak.

Nice premise, with the kid and her dad getting out of hunting and I actually liked the creatures...some classic Supernatural gore there.

Unfortunately, the good elements stop before we get to the Winchesters. I just do not understand what Sera Gamble and her crew are doing this season. It's like they've forgotten how to write either brother and really can't figure out how to write them together. Their scenes together are so weak and so lame, it's frustrating the crap out of me.

I figured both brothers would lose it if Bobby died but really? That's all they could manage...have Dean growl and Sam look moonie eyed? I'm sorry, but my 10 year old niece could write better than that!

And what the hell was that whole final conversation? Those used to be the powerhouse moments that kicked you in the gut in the last five minutes. This REALLY felt flat! So they're going to continue working...ok, I guess that's what Bobby would tell them to do, but it seemed kind of anti-climactic. And what was with the final shot of Dean with the weird look on his face?

I'm REALLY, REALLY getting sick of this! It's not bad enough they had to kill off Bobby, they have to continue deconstructing the guys too? I WANT MY BOYS BACK, DAMMIIT!

Oh and as for Frank...I thought it was supposed to be Sam and Dean, Butch and Sundance, with no-one else to count on. So now he's going to be the go to guy? Man, I hope not. He's funny but he's not that good.

I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't this. Wasn't a totally bad episode, but it really disappointed me in some key ways...sigh.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Season 7 - Episode 11 - Adventures In Babysitting

Postby Bec666 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:16 am

Well.. I'm sitting here trying to wrap my head around what I just watched.

Bobby is dead... I refused to believe it but apparently he is. Puzzlement number one. A character that has been on the show for SIX seasons and that is how you say goodbye to him? Dean and Sam sitting in a cabin while we see 'Week One'... "Week Two".....

Puzzlement number two... Sera was all about the brothers this season. So far the brothers have been anything but. They are apart more than they are together and when they are together they sure as hell don't act like brothers.

Puzzlement number three... WTF is up with Dean's voice and these 'terminator' looks? I mean seriously, is that supposed to look and sound cool? And before all you Dean girls start screaming I will say the same about Sam. Well not the voice but the stupid, wimpy, whoa is me looks. And don't even get me started on the Elvis wanna be side burns.

Puzzlement number four... So are we to now accept Frank as the Bobby Singer replacement? I hope to hell not because he is NOT Bobby Singer.

Puzzlement number five... I still haven't decided if I liked it or not. It had some good scenes.. but at the same time it had some really annoying scenes. And to be totally honest, I am confused as hell at that ending. I have NO clue what Sera was trying to do or what the message was.

All in all I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I enjoyed it but if this was Jim Beaver's goodbye to Supernatural, they did not do it justice.

Oh and joy of joys, we get to see them APART next week, yet again. Memo to Sera, they are BROTHERS. The success of the show is that they are BROTHERS, working together, CARING about each other! Sigh.....
ImageImage Image
I'm a Sam Girl, but I've been known to cheat....
Sometimes life's Hell. But hey! Whatever gets the marshmallows toasty.
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby Ruth78 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:42 am

Agree with most of what you guys have said - especially on the way Dean and Sam have been written; Two fantastic characters are being absolutely destroyed, and I'd go so far as to say that I get the vibe from the actors that they're not overly happy about it all, either - purely my own gut feeling, and please don't hate me! But for me, some of the performances have been a little "off" this season - the guys know who Dean and Sam are, but the writers sure don't seem to at times.
I'm 100% convinced now of where this will end, but I feel it could've been done so much better - I don't like this season at all so far and I don't even know what can be done now to make me feel better about it - I actually feel quite sad about the mess that's being made of it all :-(
Ruth78
Viewer

Postby Bec666 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Sera and the writers need to go back and watch Season 1 - 3 again. They have completely forgotten who Sam and Dean are. Watching it now they could easily be two strangers who got have to work together.
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:50 pm

That's true...and very frustrating. It was the bond between the brothers, that whole concept of family being stronger than anything else, that MADE this show and it's totally being lost! I really hope there is going to be another season because it would be a terrible shame for this to be the way the show goes out...it deserves better. As much as I love the guys, I almost wish it had ended after Season 5 rather than see it be relegated to this.

And Ruth, I totally agree on Jensen and Jared, they seem to be fighting with the material, like they know what they should be doing as Dean and Sam but have to work with the material they're being given and they're frustrated. It's a real shame. :(
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby ReedusChick21 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:01 pm

I'm a total idiot and refuse to believe Bobby is dead on the grounds of there was no salt and burn, it's not official until there is a salt and burn. :cool:

I'm going to be on my own island here and say I really enjoyed it. I loved that little girl, I swear I was looking at Dean's long lost daughter, she was a lot like him and the actress and Jensen played well off each other. I started laughing when those girls got Sam I was like hunny you have no luck with woman just stay away from them. I felt the last scene was amazing, Dean was basically doing what Frank told him, smile through the pain and I felt the brother love, Dean's face when Krissy told him Sam had not come back was classic Dean Winchester my brother is missing and in danger face and how Dean was like I'm not leaving my brother alone, the love was there.

Anyway I have two ideas, a friend of mine came up with one, she thinks Bobby drank the beer and he's around as a ghost and I think Ellen drank the beer because Ellen all ready gave Dean a butt kicking from the beyond and she seems more to me to be bugged by his drinking them Bobby would and would seem more likely to interven.

Don't mind me I tend to like everything however I do have a beef with last night, I miss the Impala, I hope she comes back soon and when she comes back she gets an epic re entrance. :)
ReedusChick21
Viewer

Postby Gaussian on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Bec, I agree with your puzzlements! Like, Sam and Dean don't seem to know how to be hunters any more. I really didn't understand Dean putting down the weapon, when it's not likely that they're gonna let you live. Then he just seemed to stand there frozen. :hmm: :S
Gaussian
Viewer

Postby Bec666 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:46 am

Gaussian, thank you! I was chatting with CL on MSN and I asked the same thing. Dean acted like he just froze and didn't know what to to. Did he really think they were going to let the girl go? And Sam, no way Sam of season 2, 3, etc, would have even let himself get caught. Of course back then he had a brother he could rely on(damn you Sera!).

They just see so off sync.....
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby metalamazon on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:07 am

I think of all of season 7, this was up to now the most "lame" episode. Sorry to say so. Bobby is dead, which didn't really surprise me. Everybody dies no Supernatural. Let's wait and see if he comes back. When Dean wanted to drink his beer, it was suddenly empty and you could hear some sound before that. I think there might be some spirit around. Maybe it is Daddy Winchester, or Bobby, or even Castiel. But maybe somebody or something I can't think of at the moment. I think that was one of the most important scenes in that episode. I hope they are going to make a whole new storyarc out of that mystery, with loads of clues coming up without anybody finding out who or what it really is for quite a while. That would add some suspense.

The "smiling-exercise" Dean did in the end made me sad. After all, he was following the advice of somebody who is really nuts. This is not what is going to help him, imo. It will rather drive him insane. :(
metalamazon
Viewer

Postby CLDeangrl on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:41 pm

I had the same thought about the invisible "beer thief" being Ellen rather than Bobby. She did say she'd come back and kick his butt if he didn't get his act together. At this point, he could use that kind of smack upside the head. Bobby did the best he could while he was still around (if he's really gone - I'm with you guys, I want proof first!) but apparently that wasn't enough either because Dean is still not acting like himself.

I've had a chance to think back on a few of the details of the episode and I think I can change my opinion on one thing...I do see where they were coming from with that last shot of Dean practicing the smile. I think the impact kind of got lost because of the non conversation with Sam but I suppose at its heart it was a touching moment and as always Jensen rocked it.

As for the hunting aspect of things...I suppose they were trying to show that both guys were off their game because they were mourning Bobby. It's the only explanation I can think of for Sam getting so easily suckered in by the two vetalas and for Dean hesitating. Well, I think part of that was because it was a child...you know Dean and kids, he always hesitates when it comes to the kids (remember Amy's son?).

At any rate, I'm still really frustrated because I feel like we haven't seen the "real" Sam and Dean since the end of Season 5 and it's **** me off...sigh!
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Cynnie on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:04 pm

I have to say I mostly enjoyed the episode. However, while I am sad that Bobby is really dead, I did most of my grieving for his character over the helliatus. I would have liked to have seen Bobby's funeral pyre though.
Am I to believe that it was the ghost of Bobby who drank Dean's beer? I would hope they gave him a proper hunter's burial and we won't see him coming back as a ghost.
I love Bobby and would welcome any storyline that brought him back into the fold.

I enjoyed Franks' speech to Dean. I've also been a fake until you make it type of person. However, I felt Dean's smile at the end was kind of creepy, what with the way the lights from the passing car were hitting his face.

We got to hear about Dean's grief through his interactions with Sam, Frank, and the girl. It was nice to hear Sam say he wasn't doing well, but I would have liked to have felt/seen more of his grief in regards to Bobby. However, in the past whenever Sam was grieving he tended to want to work: Jess, John, Dean in Mystery Spot, Dean after he went to Hell, Madison, so forth.

I thought Dean's behavior was off in the end of the episode. He just stood there with a weird look on his face while the girl and Sam killed the baddies. Would have liked to have seen Dean save Sam.

I was glad they finally were able to really save someone and possibly even improve there lives in the long run. I feel like it's been forever since we actually saw them save some people worth saving.

The only thing I have left to say is: Please bring Bobby back! Live and in the flesh!!!
Cynnie
Viewer

Postby Bec666 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:01 pm

I want to rewatch it. I find sometimes when it's an episode I'm not real fond of I tend to like it better the second time around.
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:00 am

Ok on second review... I watched it again tonight with CL (via msn messenger). It was much better the second time around. Still not great but much better. I still don't like the ending though. Dean trying to smile while crying just didn't work for me. And Sam, they are talking and he just curls up and goes to sleep?

I will admit I liked Frank a lot more the second time around. My dislike of him was more grieving for Bobby than anything.

I also think the Dean 'arch' is coming to an end. Between Frank and the little girl I think he may see revenge isn't the way to go. But hell, didn't his Dad and Sam show him that in Season one??? Anyhoo... a second viewing made it much more enjoyable. :)
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:54 pm

Have to agree, I was much happier after a second viewing. I still felt it was weak in some areas but I also saw room for growth and improvement so I have hope.

I still don't like the beginning with the "Week One", "Week Two" stuff. I understand what they were doing, I just think it was a cop out on the writers part to handle it that way.

I did like Frank better too. He definitely has his funny moments, I had just hoped they weren't going to have another "go to" guy and would FINALLY have to rely on each other again. I'm still hoping that. But Frank is good for occasional comic relief.

And unlike some, I didn't have an issue with Krissy saying goodbye to Dean and not Sam at the end. She did spend a lot more time with Dean and they had the heart to heart in the car, so it's only natural. And like bec, I'm hoping that between her and Frank, Dean will have FINALLY realized that getting so caught up in revenge is not the way to go. Like I said, the guys need to start relying on each other...that's what it's SUPPOSED to be all about.

As for the ending...I still felt that was a bit weak too. No, I wasn't expecting a knock down, drag out chick flick moment but it would've been nice to see the guys have an actual, substantial conversation for once instead of the patented "I'm fine", "It's ok" b.s.

I did appreciate the final shot of Dean practicing his smile more this time and kudos to Jensen for pulling that off so well, but it still felt like the ending as a whole was kind of weak. But I did come away from the episode feeling much better about things in general.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Return to Supernatural Discussion [No spoilers!]