Where is Sam's need for revenge?

General discussion for 'Supernatural'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Where is Sam's need for revenge?

Postby Cynnie on Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:59 pm

I found it interesting that Sam has not expressed any interest in getting revenge for Bobby's death.
After Jess died he was all about finding and killing the YED.
When Dean died the first time he was all about finding and killing the Trickster.
When Dean died the 2nd time he went so far as ingesting DB in order to kill Lilith.
With Bobby's death we get nothing?

I have always felt that Dean was closer to Bobby than Sam, but Sam did look up towards Bobby as a surragote father.

I find Dean's ultra focus on revenge a little OCC. I mean the active need for revenge. Sure he wanted to kill the YED, Ruby, and others, but it he never allowed that to consume him in the past. Prehaps this focus on revenge will help him to further understand his Father's and Sam's pervious obsession with revenge.
Cynnie
Viewer

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Where is Sam's need for revenge?

Postby Bec666 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:32 pm

I think Sam feels Bobby's loss just as deeply as Dean. But he's been down the revenge road and all it got him was...

a. Drinking Demon blood
b. Trusting a demon over his brother
c. The Apocalypse

I think he wants Dick just as much as Dean but knows they have to find the right way. Plus he's got a lot on his plate. Lucifer 24/7 in his head can't be easy.
ImageImage Image
I'm a Sam Girl, but I've been known to cheat....
Sometimes life's Hell. But hey! Whatever gets the marshmallows toasty.
Bec666
Guest Star

Re: Where is Sam's need for revenge?

Postby CLDeangrl on Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:01 pm

What bec said. I think he wants to avenge Bobby just as much as Dean does but he knows all too well where that kind of obession gets you, which is why he's been trying to warn Dean away from it. Dean did go so far as to sacrifice himself to bring back his brother when Sam died the first time. He was all about the YED for 22 years, though admittedly most of that was Dad's need to revenge and Dean just being the good soldier and going along. As soon as Lisa and Ben were threatened we saw him stopping at nothing to get them back. I think Bobby's death was just the straw that broke the camel's back for him...and it gives him a way to push all of the other crap he'd been carrying around (guilt, etc.) aside and focus on revenge. Not the healthiest of reactions.

Sam's been down that road and knows it's not the right way to go plus he's dealing with Hellovision in his head which has to make it hard to focus on anything else. Doesn't mean he doesn't care that Bobby is gone. I think we've seen that he does in the last three episodes. I don't buy the theory about Dean being closer to Bobby than Sam. I think Death's Door proved once and for all that Bobby loved them both and they both loved him.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Return to Supernatural Discussion [No spoilers!]