[Official] Hawaii Five-O Season 2 Discussion

General discussion of television shows (non listed)

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Hawaii Five-O Season 2 Discussion

Postby JacobsMom on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:33 pm

"Ki'ilua"

I thought most of this mini season cliff hanger episode was good. It gave us the conclusion of Jenna Kaye's character and her role with Wo Fat that was hinted at earlier in the season. One thing I always enjoyed about Jenna's character was that her story line had a good link to what was going on with Wo Fat so we were at least wondering if she was a good guy or bad guy all along. The thing I don't like about Lori is that she just seems to be an extra team member who hasn't really fit in as well, imo.

I thought the scenes in the bunker were pretty realistic, maybe almost too realistic for some viewers. The violence quota got pushed up quite a bit more than usual and the sight of Josh, Jenna's fiancee, was pretty gross. Jenna put a lot of trust in Wo Fat which did make her look bad/stupid(?) and I thought the fact she missed more key moments to help both Steve and her escape were lost in the episode. Why not take the gun of the Korean who tried to kill her? Why not use the metal pin from Josh's leg to release herself and Steve immediately? I guess I get that she needed to die in this episode and give Steve the chance to escape on his own and later to be rescued by his team, but I worry sometimes how the female characters are being portrayed this season.

My wish for the rest of the season is having Kono become more of a main team member again and Lori being sidelined even more. I hated to see that Lori was given the "cool" moment of shooting the RPG gun instead of Kono. After seeing Kono sharp shooting that guy last week at the motel, I would think she would be perfect to be the one to take out that bridge instead of Lori. I hated that we heard Lori say she never shot an RPG before, yet she put it together like a pro would in the helicopter. It just seems like Kono has to divide air time with Lori and that makes me mad since Kono was on the team from it's inception.

Loved the funny bit with Jimmy Buffet as the old war friend of Joe's! He is a pilot in real life which fit perfectly with this character. The act of him putting on an 8 track tape for music added to the whole scene of his run down helicopter from the old days, chickens and duct tape included! :lol: Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember those 8 track tapes and the Funk #49/James Gang song playing was great! :thumbsup:

I also liked the fact that Joe and his Navy Seal trainer buddy were both involved in this rescue of Steve. It made sense that the Navy Seal guys were repaying Hawaii Five 0/Steve for that earlier episode, but I'm sure it was far from realistic. Just seeing Joe's(Terry O'Quinn's) smiling face made the episode a good one for me. :D I think Joe's involvement with this Wo Fat story line and whatever Shelburne is, will keep him on the show a little longer. :thumbup:

Speaking of Shelburne, which I assume is a person by how Wo Fat said it, this whole secret had better turn out to be something pretty amazing with all we've gone through with Wo Fat from both season 1 and now in season 2. I can't imagine that anyone as slick and sneaky as Wo Fat would put so much on the line for whatever is behind it. I sure hope the writers will give us viewers a great finish to this whole story line as season 2 starts to move towards an ending. I love seeing Wo Fat too, and I can't wait for Steve/the team taking this guy out finally with some super scenes later on.

I guess I don't mind that Maila, Chin's fiancee, will become a regular now with their upcoming wedding. I like the actress but hope she is given some substance on the show. I wasn't that crazy about Rachel, Danny's ex, but I do miss seeing Grace on the show from last season.

One last gripe about things. :lol: I didn't care for Lori running up to hug Steve. I have seen that tptb are trying to get a romance angle going but I'm not sure how that will work for them being team members. :thumbsdown: Also, I guess I didn't get that "guy" line at the end in the helicopter, "Find a woman you hate and buy her a house". Lori seemed to be grinning away at it, but I thought it was sort of demeaning to women in an odd way after Chin tells the group he is getting married/happy. :huh:
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby JacobsMom on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:48 am

"Pahele"

:thumbsup: Hawaii Five O is back!! :thumbsup: I just loved this new episode. It felt a lot like an episode from last season, even down to the tie that Danny wore briefly during the opening scene. :D

Lots and lots of twists and turns to follow but it all flowed together really well with everyone on the team getting scenes in and switching up roles of what they did to solve the crime/kidnapping. For me, the best scene of the episode was after the team discovers that their jail guy was actually the drug cartel ring leader all along. I thought that actor did a very good job of being the victim and then showing the viewers how creepy and sneaky he really was when Steve and Danny came after him the second time. :thumbup:

This episode gave a little more air time to the governor too. That may have been the weakest link in this whole episode as first he comes across as someone who will never deal with these kidnappers and then completely caves in after Steve asks him to let the team use the drugs. I understand that Steve told him the kids would die for sure but there wasn't a lot of confidence from the governor at that point. Either this character is strong or weak, I'm not sure which, but I'm glad he has been used sparingly so far. Once again there just seems to be too many characters to fit in comfortably in each episode and have a strong impact to the story line. One thing I did notice is that this story line worked much better though with our main characters, since it seemed to be much more seamless than it has for awhile. :)

Unfortunately, it looks like Joe White may be winding down his time on the show. :( He gets discharged from the service and takes it all in stride while Steve is much more upset. I always figured that Joe had a bigger role in this WoFat story line when he supposedly deciphered the tape from the governors office. I think he knows much more and we saw that at the end of the episode. We learn that Shelburne is indeed a person and for some reason, WoFat is terrified of this person. As fearless as WoFat is, this Shelburne must be some character for sure! At least, they better be with the long unwinding story line that tptb have given us so far. :lol: My thoughts are that Joe knows exactly who Shelburne has been all along and that is who he was talking to on the cell phone. I just can't understand why Joe brought Steve back to see the Japanese gang leader, in his trunk, if he didn't want Steve investigating it even further?? Joe tells the person on the phone that Steve is getting close which really confused me? :huh: I do think that Joe is a good guy though.

Favorite fun moment:

When Kono told Danny that she always liked his tie while they stood in line during the news conference with gov.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby JacobsMom on Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:03 am

"Alaheo Pau'loe"

Unfortunately, this was another disappointing episode for me this week. I would have loved to have a little more of the wedding than we actually got and I think it could have been woven into the story line better than it was here. :( At least what we got to see was nice and I loved the fact that the wedding party could all be barefoot for the ceremony while in their nice wedding attire. :D

What was up with the weird beginning scene of Danny and Lori in handcuffs?? :huh: I guess it was suppose to be a funny scene of them getting caught together....supposedly "innocently"...but I didn't get it and imo, it wasn't even funny. Best part of that scene was when Joe said he could shoot off the cuffs with a gun, otherwise I hated it. Later, the second best part was Kamekona taking the cuffs off Danny with his special key around his neck. :lol:

The COTW was okay but there were things I didn't like. This whole scenario was hard to follow and I wouldn't have understood it all if I hadn't watched the episode again. I really hated Fryer being a part of this team effort and he just didn't fit in well as the team tries to work with him. I thought it was odd that at first he comes across as this cop who does whatever he wants and then at the end, his interrogation skills improve %100 as we see him get to the luau manager bad guy. He actually doesn't have to use force at all! I guess he must have got a few lessons from Kono earlier in the episode! ;) I sure hope this is all we will see of Tom Sizemore, because to me, he just doesn't fit in well even as this new role of HPD Chief Detective.

I did like that Kono was playing a bigger role in this episode. My favorite part was when she brought down the bad guy at the luau as he runs! :w00t: Grace Park also has a way of showing us compassion for victims that we don't see as well with the Lori character. It's so nice that Kono seems to be getting more of a role in these last few episodes.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is starting to tire of this dialogue between Joe and Steve. Yes, we know that now Joe has a big secret and he is still hoping Steve will forget about Shelburne but there wasn't a whole lot more content to move it forward. At least there was a small clue with Joe's passport and the fact he went to Japan supposedly after he kidnapped Hiro. So, either Joe is working with the bad guys and got Hiro out of Hawaii, or Hiro is actually a secret "good guy" for some reason. :hmm: I would rather not even have any new info if this is going to keep dragging slowly along, so giving the story line complete attention would be better imo instead of these repeat type scenes.

Best scene of the whole episode for me was when Danny got to act like "Steve" a little with his bit with the hand grenade. I liked how Chin told him he had been around Steve too much! Danny has lost that great connection he had last year with his family story line (last years Christmas episode was much, much better) and so when he gets some cool scenes like this, it makes me smile and love Hawaii Five 0 no matter what.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby Devil's Arcade on Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:15 pm

You are being too harsh on this season, IMO.
Anyway, I got a very 'John Locke' feel in the last scene in this episode.
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:10 am

Devil's Arcade wrote:You are being too harsh on this season, IMO.
Anyway, I got a very 'John Locke' feel in the last scene in this episode.

I'm sorry Devil's Arcade, but after the great episode we got the week before, I felt this Christmas episode wasn't that good. I guess I really liked the way things were going story wise during season one and now this season just seems off to me. I know there have been changes in the production and writers during season two so I suppose that has a lot to do with it. I do think that lately the episodes are getting better in writing and use of the characters, so maybe I'm complaining more than I should. :blush:

I LOVE the addition of Terry O'Quinn though and I agree that he did give us a glimpse of John Locke this week too! :thumbup:
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby JacobsMom on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:33 am

"Ka Ho'oponopno"

Loved the band on the beach playing "Superstitious" in the opening

It was nice to see Kono having a much bigger role in this COTW

My favorite funny scene was Steve and Danny tricking that guy into believing he was going to be pushed off a real cliff!

I think Steve has reached his breaking point with Joe at last! :lol:
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby JacobsMom on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:05 am

"Pu'olo"

I enjoyed this episode and thought tptb did a good job of combining Steve's flashback with his father and what was going on with the other son and his dad, Hiro. That moment of connection that Steve made when Joe explained to Hiro's son why he helped the dad fake his death was perfect. Everything came together at the end with Joe finally explaining what "Shelburne" actually was to Steve at last. It didn't have a huge "wow" factor to the explanation but I thought it fit nicely with where the story line went in this episode. Too bad that Terry O'Quinn will be off the show now but there should be a return cameo once tptb finally finish up this Wo Fat story line.

I even liked the convenient story line of having Danny help Rachel with her labor and birth at the hospital. I kept hoping there would be some loophole of how Stan was a bad guy or even dies before he gets home again. I want Danny to have a happy ending with Rachel and Grace but I suppose that is asking too much at this point. Not sure if we will get to see more of Rachel and Grace in the future episodes but I liked having them back once again.

It was fun to have Kamekona as the body guard for the guy they took out of jail. It's always nice to see him helping the team out! :thumbup:

I thought the whole episode flowed together really well with all the pieces of the COTW coming together with Joe's friend who somehow managed to survive that gun shot. Guess those bad guys didn't do a very good job but at least the info was there to take them down at the airport. :D

It's a shame we get to see so little of Wo Fat once again during this season, but I'm hoping for a great finish to his story line before the season ends!
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby frekkells on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:15 am

The Subway ad placement in the middle of the episode really bothered me. :cursing: Give me a regular commercial, don't want to see the characters having a forced conversation about Subway footlongs. Annoying! :thumbsdown: Brought down the quality of the entire episode for me. :(
FREKKELL'S FANTASY FORCE ~ 6th place ~ Season 5 LFL
Credit and Much Thanks to MAGIC BOX for the awesome banner.

Proud owner of Ben's Annie doll and line, "I always have a plan."
frekkells
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:46 am

frekkells wrote:The Subway ad placement in the middle of the episode really bothered me. :cursing: Give me a regular commercial, don't want to see the characters having a forced conversation about Subway footlongs. Annoying! :thumbsdown: Brought down the quality of the entire episode for me. :(

I totally agree frekkells, and I guess I didn't mention it before since I have been kind of hard on the show this entire season. :blush: Unfortunately, I still believe Hawaii Five-0 has taken a wrong turn somewhere since last year. Anyway, I see these product placements becoming more and more a regular part of television shows....Fringe for one...and I suspect it has something to do with helping out with money issues/publicity. I thought this Subway thing was so out of line for Kamekona's character and it's sad tptb had to put so much emphasis on it right there at his own food stand. :( It brought up that old story line of him having to lose weight but this was just way too commercialized.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby JacobsMom on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:27 am

"Mai Ka Wa Kahiko"

Wow, it's been awhile since the last episode but I really thought this was an excellent return of Hawaii Five-0! :thumbsup: Of course, Danny is probably my favorite character of all the team so anything to do with Grace and him is a plus for me. :D

Peterson was a real maniac but he sure didn't think his plan through as good as he should have. Letting Danny go out there alone and supposedly kill Stan was just not going to really happen with the team backing up Danny. I think Danny knew that Peterson messed up when he texted on the phone and Rachel got the message. He knew she was at HPD headquarters and that information would finally be out there.

It was all a nice, happy ending as they found Grace but all I could think of was that in a real life situation, how hot it would have got in that storage unit where Grace was held. :scared: I know it's only a TV show but it was scary seeing her tied to that chair all alone.

Favorite fun moment:
When Danny calls Lori "gimpy" :lol:

Glad to see the show back on and hoping for some more good episodes as the season continues.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby JacobsMom on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:42 am

"I Helu Pu"

Nice little episode with it's usual twists and turns but the minute we hear the Gov. tell Lori to decide her fate, I knew she would be gone by the end.

The Gov. finally gets some air time and wow...is he shown as a real jerk! :lol: At the last minute, he gets the truth about the Russian man and has to back pedal his way out of that scene with Chin being held by the Russian counsel. I felt that the beginning of the flashback and the murder of the woman made the Gov. look shallow and uncaring after the nice scene of the party which was raising money for a good cause. I think it's better to just leave the Gov. out of all other story lines from now on! :lol:

Poor Lori didn't get much of a send off as opposed to what Jenna got earlier. We didn't even get the whole team there to wish her well. Her time is up though and it wasn't always that good.

Nice to see Catherine back again for Steve. I like her and thought the actors always had good chemistry in their scenes together.

Fun stuff:
Danny speaking Russian!
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby JacobsMom on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:25 am

"Kupale"

It's nice that our team is back to the original four members at last. This episode was really loaded with banter between Danny and Steve but I enjoyed it! I can't believe how much of a slob Danny is shown as though and thought that may have been a little overdone at the very beginning. It just seems so out of order since we saw an earlier episode of Steve visiting Danny at his crappy rental apartment and Danny was so fussy about things there. :huh:

I guess I was expecting more air time for Apolo Ohno. The few minutes that he was actually in the episode was about what they showed us in the promos for this week! I know he isn't a true actor but I would have liked to see more from him. It must have been the shortest amount of air time by any guest actor so far! :lol:

I loved the bit about time travel from Max in reference of course to Heroes once again as they worked out at the jungle crime scene. :thumbup: He's so much fun to watch and I always love his scenes.

I did find the COTW sort of boring though. By the end, I didn't really care who killed that guy and it was pretty anti-climatic as Steve shoots the real killer in the arm. My favorite scene had to be when Danny dives in and saves the guy they chased into the water at the docks.

I didn't really understand the story line behind Gabby meeting Grace. I can see how Danny is concerned about dating someone but I thought it was a weird place for them to meet as all the friends drink/eat? at this bar. I guess they were all there to support Grace and Danny but imo, it didn't make sense. It is nice that tptb are giving Danny a romance with this Gabby character though.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DharmaLager on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:35 am

I think watching Hawaii Five-O, I have to remember to follow the story. For the most part, the story didn't thrill me this week, but I loved the dialogue.

Add the fact that I knew a few of the locations from personally visiting added to the fun - as my wife was in love with the last scene for the mere fact that she loves any scene at Hilton Hawaiian Village (specifically The Tropics restaurant).
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:17 am

DharmaLager wrote:I think watching Hawaii Five-O, I have to remember to follow the story. For the most part, the story didn't thrill me this week, but I loved the dialogue.

Add the fact that I knew a few of the locations from personally visiting added to the fun - as my wife was in love with the last scene for the mere fact that she loves any scene at Hilton Hawaiian Village (specifically The Tropics restaurant).

Thanks for the comments DharmaLager! Sometimes I wonder if I should even keep writing up these episode posts or not. I really liked the first season of this show and have stuck with it through all the new additions and subtractions :lol: of different characters. One problem that I've had lately is that I am liking the new Alcatraz much more than this show, so I watch this at a later time since they both have the same Monday time slots.

I also love to watch for all the wonderful location scenes of Hawaii, even though I've never been there like you have! It's great to see all those beautiful colors while here it's boring, old winter outside. :lol:
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DharmaLager on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:42 am

No worries - I do read. I understand how you feel. Near the end of Chuck, it was harder and harder to elicit responds out of anyone that made me wonder why I was a Show Expert over there at times.

Love Hawaii Five-O, love this season - but sometimes, I do just watch it for the scenary too - so I can deal with a bad episode. The show is far from perfect, but it's as close to a CSI type show (since it's such a cop drama type show) that I'll ever watch.

Keep it up though, I'm reading and I'll try to comment more!
DharmaLager
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shows Discussion [No spoilers!]