[Official] Person of Interest Discussion

General discussion of television shows (non listed)

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Person of Interest Discussion

Postby Sawyer5665 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:00 am

I'll post this in a thread of it's own. I'd like to hear what others thing of the pilot episode.

The pilot episode of Person of Interest COULD have been a lot better, but I think the show definitely has a lot of potential...as long as they keep a portion of the show serialized. I don't want it to just be a new random bad guy each week. I would like for there to be an overarching storyline to go along with the procedural aspect of the show. We really don't need another CSI type show. There is a lot of potential behind the two main characters for a bigger story. Both characters have a mysterious past that was set up tonight. I hope they expound on that each week.
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Person of Interest

Postby DarkUFO on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:24 am

Yep, throughally enjoyed it. I'm also hoping there is some overall arc to the story as well. Emerson was great.

Gonna take a while to stop me seeing Ben lol
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:20 pm

I thought it was VERY good considering it's a Pilot.

I liked Mr. Caviezel instantly and thought both he and Emerson really gave solid performance that felt like they had been doing this show for a long time.

I also felt it was very Nolan-esque --There is a lot of "Batman" type characters and Nolan Bros. themes going on, and I expect neither Finch or Reese to be simple characters, but two characters who might have a lot of back ground to cover, simply because the story sets up this notion that they have both been shafted. On another note the feeling of the Pilot, the way it was filmed, also reminded me of the colored scenes in "Momento"...all of the Nolan Bros. works are about identity and obsession that usually lead down some very dark roads which kind of make their works psychological thrillers as well as action films...

But there are also elements that reminds me of Alias...(action-packed, terrorism, revenge, loss, purpose)

The only thing that bothered me a little was the transitioning between the heavy diologue scenes to scenes with heavy action, but each scene by themselves was amazing.

I think as long as the show chooses to make it just as much about who Reese, Finch, and Carter are (and were--continous back stories will be needed), as much as we can debate if we can trust the machine, in conjunction to trying to figure out every crime only makes for an interesting and complicated story. I don't see how that can go too wrong.

lastly, I kind of felt like the Pilot was just an introduction...I expect more conspiracy and less transparancy down the road...

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Devil's Arcade on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:20 pm

10 minutes... Emerson's first scenes were classic Ben style.
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Postby SuperSerb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:21 pm

I enjoyed the Pilot, can't wait to see more.
Did anyone else notice J.J. Abrams signature? :)

SuperSerb
Guest Star

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:27 pm

SuperSerb wrote:I enjoyed the Pilot, can't wait to see more.
Did anyone else notice J.J. Abrams signature? :)

Ha!!!!!! :w00t: Nice catch! --kind of an interesting "still" too...walking on water--Theological theme perhaps...a mission impossible becomes somewhat possible!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby SuperSerb on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:49 pm

No prob, this is actually my first time catching something interesting in any show. I can't even notice Observer in non-Observer episodes (Fringe), so this could easily be called as miracle. :D
SuperSerb
Guest Star

Postby theotherslover on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:35 am

I really enjoyed the show. Emerson was so great and hey, I can be a Linusette (kind of ) again.
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:03 pm

I was rethinking some things over...

1. Reese's ex Jessica (Who had a similar role on Fringe as she has been speculated to be Peter's ex) seemed distracted in all of the scenes they shared...almost like she had something to do with September 11th ---so maybe it's not that he eventually looses her, but either he figured something out and they came to a cross roads, or he didn't see she was criminal all along and is mad at himself...

2. Reese pointed out what I think could become the most important aspect to the series. He says, 'He doesn't have a big enough picture' -meaning he doesn't have enough information to determine very much about these people, or in this case one person...It might be that there never is enough information (computer data) to really know someone...or rather that knowing someone isn't just about collecting information...it's about living and experiencing life with them...and knowing someone is easier said than done in world where people can be really good liars...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Really enjoyed this new show! :thumbsup: It will be a nice replacement for me since "Human Target" is done.

I was mainly watching because of Michael Emerson, but I did like Mr. Caviezel in this super spy type role. He may be a little more dark and brooding than the typical super spy, but I assume that comes a lot from Nolan's ideals.

I am curious as to how the 9-11 event will reveal what happened with these characters. Finch walks with a limp which got my attention right away. I agree with DarthLocke that there is something going on with the story between Reese and his girlfriend which ties it to 9-11.

I think this show will do well as long as it is character driven with the action of solving these mysteries each week. With cool scenes like Reese escaping from the bad cop and getting him to be his inside spy, to having Finch be that slightly creepy but caring rich guy, I can't wait for the next episode! :D
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby b3rt4 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:22 pm

I didn't like the pilot at all, too much action, too many guns and the Big Brother is watching style was pretty annoying. Plus I don't like COTW shows anyway so nothing for me unfortunately.

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:43 am

b3rt4 wrote:I didn't like the pilot at all, too much action, too many guns and the Big Brother is watching style was pretty annoying. Plus I don't like COTW shows anyway so nothing for me unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Pilot alot...

I have the feeling that in some sense the Pilot might end up being misleading (it comes off too basic)...there was just to much NOLAN for me to think that who we think Reese and Finch are, might constantly change --and that whatever organizations they were apart before this arrangement, might come back to haunt them.

I almost thought that maybe Reese is setting Finch up --that he is undercover or something and that the way we found him didn't completely have to do with ex --not in the way we think. The "3rd party" things sounds like secret revenge or payback...reminds me of Sloane (Alias)...

If the show goes onto explore use technology in Government verses technology in the hand of criminals/terrorists, and then how both effect the lives of everyday citizens, then I think we could get a really thrilling psychological drama (Batman)....

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby BirdyMan on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:49 pm

I enjoyed it. It's not one of those shows I'll be like "Oh man gotta see the episode when it first gets out", but it's good. And I will definately be following it.

And as said I just couldn't stop thinking about Emerson as Ben, every time he was talking about those lists I smiled. ;)

Bloody big thanks to my sistha Magic Box for making the avatar and the userbar! :D :wub:
And a bloody big thanks to brotha Two Sides for the signature! :D
BirdyMan
Supporting Actor

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Well I thought 1x02 "Ghosts" started to deliver what was missing from the Pilot, which was some kind of mythology along with starting to expose who Finch and Reese REALLY are. This one was Finch-centric, and in case you didn't know Brett Cullen guest stared as Finch's [former?] boss, which that Bad Robot-LOST actor is known for his role Goodwin Stanhope, where in LOST the tables of control and leadership are turned, as Ben (Michael Emerson), the leader of the Others including Goodwin, sudo-set Goodwin up to keep him from their love interest, Juliet Burke! Cullen's POI character revealed something to us about Finch. Finch said that he had to make the software be able to pick out certain people...people with secrets and who are living A DOUBLE life...Cullen remarks, "So someone like you." --suggesting then Finch has secrets and living a a double life even back in 2002...It was interesting to see Finch, like Ben, take on an "H" name alias (Henry Gale-Lost, Harold-Person of Interest) and to try and make himself appear as if he is someone he's not...and he disappeared rather quickly around corner when Reese was right after him...but yet at the end of the episode it was clear he didn't want Thereasa to die...(amost played on Ben's sanario with Alex, but opposite)--But I have to wonder if the disability is a front and he wasn't going to expose his true self no matter what??

The date we flashed back to was June 10th 2002...the only Bad Robot reference I could think of was Super 8, which came out theaters on June 10th of this year...It was hard to make any real connection to the film.The only thing I could think of was the idea/theme of families being put back together (playing on metaphysical 'super model' aka structure which is also a FRINGE theme-In fact keep this sentence in mind during tonight's episode)).

Caviezel continued to impress (he actually trained with Navy Seals in preparation for the role!) . He really is sort of like new Bond (Daniel Craig) and Batman (Christian Bale) put together and I look forward to seeing where his story goes and who Reese was in the past....

I am not sure how fans are taking it all in though? It seems clear that they are trying very hard to keep the stories contained to each episode, but also slowly open up the worms on looking at who these guys are and if their reasons are truly vigilanti or if there are not also touches of revenge? Or can revenge be vigilanti?

All in all I though it was good and was never sure who the criminal was...it was also interesting to see the show get into city politics with the Landscape company which continues to make me think of both Gotham City and Boardwalk Empire...

The more I think about it, the more I think the disability is an act ----In The Nolans' The Prestige, was all about tricks and smokey mirrors to make people believe in magic or an illusion...Thinking about how far Christian Bale's characters went and even eventually Hugh Jackman's character went just to "out do" each other!!!!!! With LOST this is what we might also look at as "A long con"

I also noticed Finch's body guards disappeared...I also don't think I buy that such an important business man, associated with the goverment, wouldn't carry a gun...I feel Kate Austen coming on...
Last edited by DarthLocke on Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby kristy815 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:42 pm

I didn't get to see the first one, but I really liked this second one. The spy guy is great. . .and Michael Emerson is always awesome in a creepy way.

It seems like Finch doesn't have the limp in the flashbacks on the treadmill. . .or does the fact that he's leaning on a treadmill just mask the limp. . .I couldn't tell.

May have to dig up my Ben-banner.
So, who is this Mr. Bench anyway?
kristy815
Star Billing

Next

Return to Other Shows Discussion [No spoilers!]