[Official] Once Upon A Time S1 Discussion

General discussion of television shows (non listed)

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Once Upon A Time S1 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Mon May 07, 2012 7:28 pm

Joshua wrote:Awesome episode. The castle fight was cool, but it felt like it lacked... something. I don't know. Could've been better.

Lana Parilla kicks all kinds of ass.

I love this show, but my only problem remains Jennifer Morrison. She is just so wooden, she'd play a good Pinocchio :P But seriously, I would like the Emma character so much more if she was played by someone who could actually act :\

I don't think it's her acting (her Star Trek Movie performance was GREAT!) --I think it's because the character is intentionally written as "one dimensional", as she has no direct counter part in another reality FOR US to compare herself too, (which all the other realities thus far are intentionally "epic"/"fantastic" in comparison) we have seen no child hood flashbacks either (only baby Emma), and additionally she's character who deeply "reflects" the "loss" and all of the bad decisions, especially choices in parenting, that all the other characters have made. Then to top it off she has been "abandoned" and put in a position to believe in something much greater than herself: her son, being a mother, and magic....but to do that she has to believe in herself.

I think it's fine and makes great sense for season 1, but that's why I am hoping her one dimensional-ness changes next season with either traveling to one of the other realities (to save Henry perhaps) such as Wonderland, and/or see some childhood flashbacks, because she can't grow as a person or a character with out some magor change, which is seemingly the ark of season 1.

I have decided that I think Cora is the Queen of Hearts and the Blue Fairy manipulated The Curse because she wants to become the next Queen of Wonderland. (The Red Queen)

I believe that Wonderland is not just another universe, but possibly a "sub" universe to Fairy tale Land, that may be like an underworld, as Regina went there to bring her Father back to Life!...StoryBrooke may be a type of "purgatory" or "Limbo"...as the curse almost acts as a type of "death", while also being transformative...

PS: I love that Jefferson's hat isn't just a portal to places, but also a portal that can be used through one's memory to get objects from "certain" times (so it's also a time machine!)

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby DharmaLager on Mon May 07, 2012 9:18 pm

Enjoyed the episode - though I did feel the fact that it was a set-up episode too. That said, having enjoyed it, time to pose a few questions.

1. Was it enough? Will Emma realize what she has to do now?
2. Will Regina give up the curse to save her "son".
3. Will Henry pay the ultimate price? (Personally, as my wife tells me, I love tragic endings - so I actually wouldn't hate it - as I feel his sacrifice would be major - but ultimately, I think a lot of that depends on question #2).
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby Joshua on Tue May 08, 2012 12:51 pm

DarthLocke wrote:I don't think it's her acting (her Star Trek Movie performance was GREAT!) --I think it's because the character is intentionally written as "one dimensional", as she has no direct counter part in another reality FOR US to compare herself too, (which all the other realities thus far are intentionally "epic"/"fantastic" in comparison) we have seen no child hood flashbacks either (only baby Emma), and additionally she's character who deeply "reflects" the "loss" and all of the bad decisions, especially choices in parenting, that all the other characters have made. Then to top it off she has been "abandoned" and put in a position to believe in something much greater than herself: her son, being a mother, and magic....but to do that she has to believe in herself.

I don't know, I think there's still a depth to her character that she could portray. When she was trying to be emotional with Henry in the past episode it seemed so forced. I can't remember her in Star Trek, so when I rewatch I'll see what I think of her there.I found her very boring and wooden in House too.

I just can't connect to her character, or rather to her, at all.
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Tue May 08, 2012 7:20 pm

Joshua wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:I don't think it's her acting (her Star Trek Movie performance was GREAT!) --I think it's because the character is intentionally written as "one dimensional", as she has no direct counter part in another reality FOR US to compare herself too, (which all the other realities thus far are intentionally "epic"/"fantastic" in comparison) we have seen no child hood flashbacks either (only baby Emma), and additionally she's character who deeply "reflects" the "loss" and all of the bad decisions, especially choices in parenting, that all the other characters have made. Then to top it off she has been "abandoned" and put in a position to believe in something much greater than herself: her son, being a mother, and magic....but to do that she has to believe in herself.

I don't know, I think there's still a depth to her character that she could portray. When she was trying to be emotional with Henry in the past episode it seemed so forced. I can't remember her in Star Trek, so when I rewatch I'll see what I think of her there.I found her very boring and wooden in House too.

I just can't connect to her character, or rather to her, at all.

Well I think your right in a sense, because her perspective is being "forced".

I know that some times we just can't connect with characters, like I still can't with Martin Keamy :lol: , so I sympathize. I just think she will relate more with the audience when she is in a position to have more freedom to believe aand/or experience magic...once she breaks her own ice that is! :D

Ps: She gave birth to Captain James T. Kirk in Star Trek! :lol:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Joshua on Wed May 09, 2012 3:33 pm

DarthLocke wrote:Well I think your right in a sense, because her perspective is being "forced".

I know that some times we just can't connect with characters, like I still can't with Martin Keamy :lol: , so I sympathize. I just think she will relate more with the audience when she is in a position to have more freedom to believe aand/or experience magic...once she breaks her own ice that is! :D

Ps: She gave birth to Captain James T. Kirk in Star Trek! :lol:

Lol Keamy I liked to hate.

And I remember the scene, just not her acting haha. :D
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby DharmaLager on Wed May 09, 2012 7:22 pm

But it was drama - how did you not appreciate her dramatic interpretation of birth giving?

In all seriousness - I don't really have an issue with the actress - I do think the character needs some magic to add some spice to her character. Perhaps I'm the only one - but I'd actually love to see Henry's sacrifice (IE: Death) actually make her see the light, only to somehow be stopped. I think it's too soon for everyone to realize being it's season 1, but perhaps a few more eyes could be opened.
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri May 11, 2012 1:55 am

Once Has Been Renewed!
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/05/once-upon-time-renewed-for-season-two.html

Not much of a surprise, but still nice to know! :D

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DharmaLager on Fri May 11, 2012 2:15 am

DarthLocke wrote:Once Has Been Renewed!

Still good to have it confirmed - anyone have predictions for the finale (taking a cue from Darth on this one in the Fringe area).
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby Joshua on Fri May 11, 2012 11:01 am

Great news :D
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Fri May 11, 2012 12:37 pm

DharmaLager wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:Once Has Been Renewed!

Still good to have it confirmed - anyone have predictions for the finale (taking a cue from Darth on this one in the Fringe area).

I'll take a stab, even though I don't feel sure-footed. :blush:

season 1 finale predictions:

-Henry is near death or is pronounced dead by the end of the episode

-Emma starts to believe, but there is a process to her believing, which may include having to rely on Regina.

- Henry has an effect on the whole town and maybe some of them start to remember on their own (Mary Margaret and David will Kiss.)

-In order to help save Henry, Emma needs to retrieve a magical object...in another land.

-The flashback FTL scenes will show how Charming gets back to the sleeping snow white, and perhaps will give us a missing link, and maybe show us something we didn't know about the curse and why other people may have helped make it. (Glaring at you Blue Fairy)

-Dr Whale (and for you gents, Ruby too) will look good as always and we will still have absolutely know idea how he relates to FTL.

- Rumpleskilstin makes a deal help Emma and Regina get the magic they need so Emma can use Jefferson's hat. (maybe the dagger or Charming's sword??)

-Jefferson will be her guide...but Jefferson may have propositions from multiple sides (remember he seemingly disappeared when he fell out the window...he may have been able to travel else where already...)

that's all I got :PP

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DharmaLager on Fri May 11, 2012 9:00 pm

My Predictions (in no way accurate, it's more what I want to happen - please note I don't read spoilers for this show so I know nothing)

- Regina is forced to choose between saving Henry or keeping the curse active. (I think this is a given)
- Regina decides to work with Emma to save Henry (but with a catch - IE: some kind of deal with Rumple/Gold)
- Emma begins to realize the magical origin of Storybrooke/characters and finally sees August changing into Pinnochio
- We finally learn who Dr. Whale is in the fairy-tale world
- Henry dies (does he really, I don't know - but I think he dies in some sense)
- The curse is not completely broken, but a serious rip is made into it and more people begin to remember - in all likelihood, August and Jepedo are reunited.
- The Mad Hatter somehow messes with Regina's plan upon realizing she won't be granting his wish - possibly connecting to whatever causes Henry to die/the curse to not be broken completely (just one of the two).
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun May 13, 2012 2:55 am

Well DharmaLager, I was def off for the Fringe finale! :scared: Lets see If I can do a little better here :lol:
(But your predictions seem pretty apt!)

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DharmaLager on Sun May 13, 2012 3:53 am

DarthLocke wrote:Well DharmaLager, I was def off for the Fringe finale! :scared: Lets see If I can do a little better here :lol:
(But your predictions seem pretty apt!)

We'll see - I think I just really want to know who Mr. Whale is already. At one point I thought he was Pinnochio...but we all know that's not true now.
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon May 14, 2012 3:05 pm

Well I did better than I thought. Henry was pronounced dead, Emma had to retrieve a magical object (and it's a debate how Maleficent's castle was preserved could be considered another land or not since no once tried to go outside), Dr. Whale didn't reveal himself to the audience, Emma started to believe (but really she believes), Emma had to rely on Regina, got the Graham missing link, and Mr. does help them get magic...

What I was wrong about: The way in which Emma had to go to another land, as there's the Maleficent castle thing, but more over breaking the curse (if it's completely broken, as this could be a second stage), seems to initiate something transformative to Storybrooke...and whether it's going to start looking like "home" or give ways to go "home", or look like some new weird magical hybrid (that attempts to take over Earth) is unclear (<---but the last one could lead to time loops!)

But I absolutely loved the finale I thought it was perfect! :thumbsup:

Nice references to John Locke with David's truck (Man From Tallahassee) and the two people needed to unlock the door or use an object has been seen in Alias, Alcatraz, and Fringe. (Plus the elevator had green and red lights -nod to Fringe)

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DharmaLager on Mon May 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Since Darth compared his predictions, I'll do the same:

Regina is forced to choose between saving Henry or keeping the curse active. (I think this is a given)

In a sense, she had to be somewhat aware that all this could end up helping to break the curse - but in the end, no, not really.

Regina decides to work with Emma to save Henry (but with a catch - IE: some kind of deal with Rumple/Gold)

Both - she works with Emma and she had to make a deal with Rumple...sort of...haha

Emma begins to realize the magical origin of Storybrooke/characters and finally sees August changing into Pinnochio

Yep, right on this one.

We finally learn who Dr. Whale is in the fairy-tale world

I really thought this was about to happen or we were at least going to get some subtle hint...no such luck.

Henry dies (does he really, I don't know - but I think he dies in some sense)

Yep, kind of saw that coming - but I like how it went down.

The curse is not completely broken, but a serious rip is made into it and more people begin to remember - in all likelihood, August and Jepedo are reunited.

I do believe the curse isn't completely broken - I feel as though it's only started to be broken - because they remember, but they are still in Storybrooke. My view of the breaking of the curse is everyone gets to go back to Fairy Tale world - but perhaps that's just my perception. August and Jepedo, unfortunately, not reunited - we actually don't know what's going to happen to August.

The Mad Hatter somehow messes with Regina's plan upon realizing she won't be granting his wish - possibly connecting to whatever causes Henry to die/the curse to not be broken completely (just one of the two).

I was close with this one -not perfect, but close!

Overall Impression:
Loved the episode and a lot of the resolutions that we got - I thought they did a good job leaving me wondering on a few things, while changing the entire mindset of Storybrooke. To me, it was one of the more rewarding finales, if not the most rewarding, this season - even if some parts I found a little predictable.
DharmaLager
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shows Discussion [No spoilers!]