[Official] The Walking Dead Ep. 2.03 Discussion

General discussion of television shows (non listed)

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] The Walking Dead Ep. 2.03 Discussion

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:03 am

"Save The Last One"

9:00PM

Discuss The Walking Dead's latest episode here.

The Greene Family and the Grimes family wait for Otis and Shane to return with the medical supplies for Carl. Meanwhile, Shane and Otis find themselves trapped in a school with hungry walkers waiting to eat them. Finally, Daryl and Andrea continue the hunt for Sophia.

Source: TV.com

Check SpoilerTV.com for Spoilers.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] The Walking Dead Ep. 2.03 Discussion

Postby Cammigirl on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:05 pm

Wow!

This episode was something else!!!!!!!
Cammigirl
Viewer

Postby brentoid on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:44 pm

oh shane, poor otis...cant help but feel they're shaping shane to do something nasty...yup, even nastier than what he did in that ep... :D

i liked the structure of that episode, flashing back & forth...very impressed all over really...
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby NK-Metal on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:52 pm

I liked it a lot :D
Lost is the best :D I also love Game of Thrones, American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, Once Upon A Time, Dexter, Misfits, Glee, Prison Break, Fringe, Breaking Bad and others :D

click for Lost quizzes!
http://www.sporcle.com/user/Jorss1/contributed
NK-Metal
Stunt Double

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:21 pm

I didn't like Shane much before, but after this episode I'm afraid I hate him. That was awful and I think he didn't really need to do it. :thumbsdown: (EDIT: Why? First, because he was slower than Otis, second, because Otis was actually helping him, finally, because seeing where the zombies were and how long it took them to reach Otis after Shane's loathesome act, they had time to keep moving and try to scape alive... both). Just when I was starting to warm up to Shane...

Btw... I can get Rick is the only A+, but aren't any O+ around there? Really? :S

Anyway, great episode, very tense and, as you mentioned, loved the narrative. :thumbup:

I wonder if Sophia will ever be found. Daryl's attitude gives me some hope.

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby NK-Metal on Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:36 am

I hope Sophia gets found alive. Poor mom has been through so much already.

Daryl is pretty awesome. I think he's my favourite. I also adore Glenn. But lol Sarah Wayne Callies is still somewhat Sara Tancredi to me :PP. I must get used to it more.

I disliked Shane from the beginning. But I actually think this episode made him a lot more interesting.
Lost is the best :D I also love Game of Thrones, American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, Once Upon A Time, Dexter, Misfits, Glee, Prison Break, Fringe, Breaking Bad and others :D

click for Lost quizzes!
NK-Metal
Stunt Double

Postby Cammigirl on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:07 am

I'm beginning to think that Shane's losing it. What he did to Otis was terrible!!!!!

I also think Lori is suspicious of him.
Cammigirl
Viewer

Postby Notice on Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:14 pm

Awesome episode as always :)
It's funny that probably everyone thought Otis wouldn't make it because he isn't so fast but in the end it was Shane :O

Also: I ship Daryl & Andrea now :| :D
It doesn't matter who we were... It only matters who we are.

Life sucks, and then you die. And then it still sucks.
Notice
Star Billing

Postby DHARMAham on Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:49 pm

Excellent narrative throughout the episode with the flashing back-and-forth. I genuinely don't think Shane killing Otis was about Otis shooting Carl, it was more to do with the lack of bullets that they had. It makes Shane a more worthwhile character to have now rather than just having him as the third person in the triangle. Hopefully with Shane unravelling, that secret will be out of the bag soon.

Really interesting take too on the zombie that hung himself to avoid being zombified :thumbup:
DHARMAham
Extra

Postby isabelle on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Notice wrote:Also: I ship Daryl & Andrea now :| :D

I think I do too! Much better than Dale/Andrea anyway (gross), even if Daryl is really the kind of character who doesn't need to be bogged down with a love interest. Daryl is the most awesome character on the show so it certaintly won't hurt Andrea to share a few scenes with him! Maybe something will rub off so she will start learning how to survive... Out of all the female characters she does have the most potential (except for maybe Maggie).

I've never hated Shane (he's my second fave character) and still don't hate him. I think what he did was awful (like the WORST thing you can do to someone in a zombie apocolipse world) and probably wasn't even necessary but he's so much more interesting now that he's got all this guilt adding to his character. I like to think that sacrificing Otis has absolutely nothing to do with Lori though. Whether he did it for Carl or himself is unclear, its probably a bit of both but I just hope he didn't do it for her...
isabelle
Emmy Winner

Postby supermodel on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:38 pm

I loved this episode and I loved what Shane did. Not that I think Otis deserved it or that it was the only way out, but it raised such an interesting moral question and a great juxtaposition between Rick and Shane.

For Rick, moral issues are very black and white, there is no question about what is right and what is wrong. But Shane sees shades of grey. The survivors are living in a new reality where maybe they don't have the luxury of making such clear distinctions. Doing the right thing is not necessarily going to help you survive.

I think Shane did what he thought he had to do. It is not clear if he did it for Lori, for Carl, or just to save his own ass, but he thought it was what he needed to do to survive. And he's done it before, he left Rick for dead when it was clear he had to get out of the hospital or they would both die. In this new reality do these actions make him evil or just a survivor?

Lori gave a big speech about not wanting her child to grow up to be an animal that knows nothing but survival. By the end of the episode it looks like Shane is turning into that animaI. How will she feel when she finds out what Shane has done, and that her family benefited from the murder? I can't wait!
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby PandaVamp on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:20 pm

Even though I personally hate what Shane did and it has aggravated how much I dislike him as a person, I agree with you guys that the whole thing makes him way more interesting as a character, and it adds a lot to the plot and the relationships within. It also raises a few questions around him like what else is he capable of? How further will he go down the dark path? What is he going to do next? Will he separate from the group?

I know the situation they're living is not easy and it's not fair to judge it from our comfortable situation, but seems to me Shane's moral compass, his nature as a whole has always tended to be unstable and to the dark side, more and more each time. He chose no one else but his best friend's wife to have a relationship with convincing her he was dead, attacked Lori at the CDC when she rejected him and, let's not forget this, thought of shooting Rick when they were at the woods but was thankfully stopped by Dale. Then, he shot the man who refused to leave him behind and, very coldly, chose to shoot him in the leg, not the head, something that would've been more compassionate.

Seeing him there, in front of the bathroom's mirror... the look in his eyes. Yes! I agree with you, Supermodel, I also can't wait to find out what's coming next and who will suffer the consequences.

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby JacobsMom on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:07 am

PandaVamp wrote:Then, he shot the man who refused to leave him behind and, very coldly, chose to shoot him in the leg, not the head, something that would've been more compassionate.

This is exactly what I was thinking too PandaVamp. I understand why it had to be done for survival purposes but why not let Otis die without knowing he was being ripped piece by piece from the Walkers! That was just horrible and the fear from Otis as he ripped a chunk of Shane's hair showed how desperate he was. :( I'm not a huge fan of Shane's but I think this action is only going to set up another life or death situation for him later on and then we will see how he reacts, especially if it is with Rick once again. I think this only shows what lengths Shane will go to to save himself in the very end. I also think that acknowledgment from Lori to stay with the group will only feed Shane's belief that what he did was okay.

Leave it up to these guys to find a way to give us another look at why killing yourself may not "save" you in the end. :lol: Having that poor guy turned into a walker while he hangs there in the tree was just sad. They have taken zombies to a whole new level, imo! I also liked the fact that it was Daryl and Andrea who find him since she sees first hand that sometimes living might be a little better after all. Daryl has this new compassion that is great since we saw how mean he was during season one.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby Woongo on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Loved this episode! But Shane is a jerk for doing what he did. But I'll have to see where this goes before judging him.
The hanging zombie was awesome :lol:

And does anyone else think that something's about to go down on the highway? :hmm:
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

Woongo
Supporting Actor

Postby NK-Metal on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:29 pm

Lol I thought the hanging zombie was hilarious :PP.

click for Lost quizzes!
NK-Metal
Stunt Double

Next

Return to Other Shows Discussion [No spoilers!]