[Official] Alcatraz S1 Discussion

General discussion of television shows (non listed)

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Alcatraz S1 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:57 pm

WELCOME TO ALCATRAZ

On March 21, 1963, three hundred and two Alcatraz inmates vanished in the night and started to reappear today, 2011.

One thing that pays off being a Bad Robot/J.J. Abrams fan is that often one can find Easter eggs, event/character parallels, and expanding conceptual ideas from work to work. Thinking about Jorge Garcia in his new role, as Dr. Diego Soto, is there still much charm, comedy, and warm-heartedness as identified with his former LOST character Hugo “Hurley” Reyes, but yet he also now embodies some safistication, intelligence, and great knowledge! Seeing Mr. Garcia this way is almost like being able to imagine whom Hurley might have been during the rest of his Island-protecting years. And it’s interesting that his Alcatraz character’s first name is Diego, which was the name of Hugo’s brother on LOST.

Another intriguing aspect will be how the comics play a role and if fictional stories with in the fictional series will play a role at figuring out the bigger picture? --Additionally, since both “Star Trek” and “Fringe” have pumped out some VERY nice tie-in comics, I could see “Alcatraz” having some too! Be on the look out!

Rebecca Madsen (Sarah Jones) is sort of a hard character to hash out in this first episodes. She seems to be in the role of “Fringe’s” Blue Olivia, but with out the lack of social life or social identity. In that sense she is more like “Alias’” Sydney Bristow, but both of these other characters deal with a loss of a lover, fiance, where for now, Madsen gets to keep hers, but seemingly at a price. She clearly cares about her job and family, but by the end of the episodes comes to contemplate her own identity, because what she believed about her families past involvment with Alcatraz was a lie, --and so begins her journey to rediscovering herself.

Ray Archer (Robert Forester) is Rebecca’s uncle. His role is kind of interesting since he will be the one that knows things about the family. Ultimately having a bar where people drink and discuss events in the city is an asset. I look forward to seeing of how Madsen is going to ever have go against her uncle, or if their will be moments where they don’t see eye to eye??

Speculation/Questions

What’s in a Name?
Once again, Bad Robot has this fun way of mix-matching names of characters and actors alike, or use a name as a reoccurring theme with in a work. Rebecca Madsen is particularly familiar. LOST fans my instantly remember Rebecca Madder who played Charlotte Staples Lewis. If there would be any parallels in characters here, it may lie in motivation, assertiveness, and tenacity. Other things to think about might be time traveling sickness and C.S. Lewis Chronicles of Narnia.

Emerson Hauser (Sam Neill) might have barrowed half his name from actor Michael Emerson. Hauser is Germen for ‘houser’, which really probably means, ‘head of the house’. Clearly he is in charge of catching all of these 1963 criminals and makes sense to give him such a name, Additionally it might also mean he is ‘a father figure‘, the one who is suppose to take care of every one. Bad Robot works also have reoccurring themes about family (parents and children) and ‘going home’…

Ray Archer prompts me to think about LOST’s two very important Rays. Ray Shepphard and Ray. One helps his grandson Jack return to the Island, and the other tries help Kate, but ultimately turns her into the Edward Mars for money. But the name Ray itself is probably about hope…rays from the sun. Things that help one enlighten and learn truths. Archer at a glance makes me think of hunter, direction, fixation, and things that might be associated with the optimistic Sagitarius. We put the name Ray with it and we get something like ‘Light-Warrior’. Additionally Star Trek is now apart of Bad Robot works with the continuation of a new timeline in the 2009 film. Star Trek is also something that has been referenced on Felicity, Lost, and Fringe. I only recently embarked on Star Trek Enterprise. Not only is there heavy time travel issues about trying to ‘fix‘ history, but the main character’s name is Jonathan Archer.

Santiago Cabrera’s character’s name, Jimmy Dickens, may also reference a very well known English writer, Charles Dickens. Of course this isn’t the first time we have seen Dickens referenced in Bad Robot /J.J. Abrams works either. Felicity had an episode, “Great Expectations” and Lost has nods to “Tale of Two Cities”, “The Christmas Carol”, “Our Mutual Friend”, and “Little Dorrit”.
And Fringe show runners also said that Peter’s situation with the machine is also like “A Christmas Carol” and “A Christmas Carol” flyer appears in the season one episode, “In Which We Meet Mr. Jones”.

Charles Dickens works are also known, not unlike Bad Robot’s, to have characters with “whimsical names”. To me names like Ray Archer and H.B. Tiller definitely fit the bill. Tiller--may be a pun for ‘being in control of the flow of things’, as a tiller is what helps control the speed on a boat.

One other character might also be Dickens-esque. Edwin James could refer to Dickens last unfinished mystery novel, “The Mystery of Edwin Drood”.

From wikipedia: Though the novel is named after the character Edwin Drood, the story focuses on Drood's uncle, choirmaster John Jasper, who is in love with his pupil, Rosa Bud. Miss Bud is Drood's fiancée who has also caught the eye of the high-spirited and hot-tempered Neville Landless, who comes from Ceylon with his twin sister, Helena. Landless and Drood take an instant dislike to one another. Drood later disappears under mysterious circumstances. Dickens died before he could finish the mystery

The Ceylon aspect is also curious and could then mildly connect us to
Parminder Nagra’s character, Lucy Banerjee:

From Wikipedia:

BANERJEE:
Is a prevalent brahmin surname in the Bengal region of India...

Banerjee's are 

Kulin Brahmins, who in the past were considered the highest caste in Bengal (along with Mukherjees, Chatterjees and Gangulis). They are descendents of the Bhattanarayana (originally from Uttar Pradesh) and members of the Sandilya gotra[1][2]. During the Bengal renaissance and Young Bengal movement some of the people with Bandopadhyaya surname converted into Christianity and anglicized their name as Banerjee (or some into Bonnerjee).

"Indian (Bengal) and Bangladeshi: Hindu (Brahman) name, the first element of which, Ban-, is a shortened form of the village name Bandoghat. The final element -jee is derived from jha (greatly reduced form of Sanskrit upadhyaya ‘teacher’); thus, Banerjee ‘teacher from the village of Bandoghat’. In Bengali names formed with -jee, the initial element is believed to indicate a village granted by Ballal Sen, a legendary ancient king of Bengal, to the ancestor of the person bearing the surname. A Sanskrit version of this name, Vandyopadhyaya, was coined later, from the elements vandya ‘venerable’ + upadhyaya ‘teacher’. "

Ceylon is now Sri Lanka (an Island under India with great stories told about it. It's the first Asain Country to have a female ruler..it's curious since we have a Brittish-Indian actress, as one of our series regulars, as Sri Lanka was under British rule for about 110 years) -Additionally a famous LOST Experience Dharma video is also known as the Sri Lanka video.

Note: Lucy reoccurring B.R. name (Lost: Charlie Pace‘s ex-girlfriend, Super 8: Joe and Jackson‘s dog).

Methodology of time travel/time preservation.

1: Starting from 2011 to ‘1963’.
Not necessarily, but likely. It probably would be easiest if the 1963-ers were working for 2011-ers
a: Teleportation devise (time period/timeline frequency)
b. Two way door/bridge system (black and white wholes or time bubble)
c. Suspended Animation (Cryonics/Cryogenetic Chamber)

In some of these cases and/or if other time periods would be involved, then we may actually be dealing with two timelines….It could be that timeline a and b share the same history from 1963 back, until 2011 made a new branch off by going back. However, it might not matter. For instance, if in timeline a in 1963 all the inmates actually died, and then in 2011 someone goes back, saves them, and transports them to the present, the history between 1963 and 2011 may be no different since the inmates have no memory of any other future…the only catches would be if there are side effects from doing something like that, or if the prisoners/modern day characters are thought to go back to their timelines…

The Two First Episodes:

Despite if the science fiction aspect becomes a day to day appearance in Alcatraz, or just hints of it, I think it won’t matter. I already like all of the characters and to me, this aspect matters more.

When the show was first announced and we had received a premise, the first films that came to mind where “The Jacket”, which is loosely based on the novel, “The Star Rover” by Jack London and Terry Gilliam’s “Twelve Monkeys”. All are about prisoners/criminals who time travel. In “The Jacket”, however main character Jack Starks, a former soldier in Desert Storm, gets set up in car shooting and he can’t remember if he commited the crime or not and is sent to a mental institution, instead of prison…but the doctors experiment with him, causing him to time travel to ‘the future’…”Twelve Monkeys” is similar, except we start in the future where a deadly virus has caused man to live under ground. Scientists use criminals by sending them back in time as agents to find out who was really behind the virus and change the future.

Going along with Abrams other works, such as Alias and Fringe, I have to wonder given the situation with Jack Sylvane, if some of these men weren’t mentally-ill, or set up to go to Alcatraz and between 1960-1963 became sleeper agents. Even Cobbs situation is curious as he rambles on with the number 47 (an Alias and Star Trek number) and how he eats dinner with Coyne’s character whom has a checkered table cloth, which is very similar to the one Cobb eats on before he takes his first 2011 victims.

Speaking of that, Eliose Moreau, Cobb’s mother, is curious name too! --We have an Eliose Kurtz in Alias, and the notorious Eloise Hawking (Dharma scientist/Other) in Lost, whom had a son (Daniel), who like Cobb, had a half sister (Penelope) he didn’t know about. Daniel named his RAT after his mother. The name Moroe has come up a lot too. -In Fringe there is weapons dealer, Conrad Monroe and a End of Dayer Terrorist leader, Moreau. In Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol there is a villain named Sabine Moreau…all of these Moreaus tend to be bad people and in FRINGE may relate to the novel, “The Island of Dr. Moreau”.

There is also a character mentioned named Cobb in FRINGE episode “Johari Window”.

PETER: Cobb? Who's Cobb?
WALTER: Edward Cobb was the scientist who dreamed up Project Elephant. He would be the only one with the imagination and the know-how.

The whole episode deals with people who have become genetically disfigured due to a scientific experiment went wrong known as “project elephant”.

Even though I read countless reviews and spoilers, I was still surprised with the episodes. The way in which Hauser “upgraded” part of Alcatraz to recatch the inmates was spectacular and much reminded me of Alais elevator in the Credit Daphine building and APO head quarters

Lucy then also turns out to be an interesting character, a scientist amongst the inmates and lover of Hauser, possibly young and old, but I myself don’t know which way it is still. If she comes from the 1960’s into the present (thinking about Twelve Monkeys) or if she came from here and then went into the past in her future and we will eventually be dealing with loops here??? But her relationship with Hauser is curious!

I thought it was a wonderful 2 hrs and better than expected. Can’t wait for the third episode!

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Alcatraz S1 Discussion

Postby DarkUFO on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:37 pm

Wow, great review.

Did you want to post reviews on the main SpoilerTV site?
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:17 pm

DarkUFO wrote:Wow, great review.

Oh, thanks!! :lol: :blush:

I was thinking about it before, but I am a bit skeptical, because my computer has been doing some strange things, and I am afraid if something happens with it, that I wouldn't be very reliable since I would have to wait before buying a new laptop. I have had it for like 7 yrs and have had it fixed twice, but it doesn't seem worth fixing it again... :cry:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarkUFO on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:37 pm

DarthLocke wrote:
DarkUFO wrote:Wow, great review.

Oh, thanks!! :lol: :blush:

I was thinking about it before, but I am a bit skeptical, because my computer has been doing some strange things, and I am afraid if something happens with it, that I wouldn't be very reliable since I would have to wait before buying a new laptop. I have had it for like 7 yrs and have had it fixed twice, but it doesn't seem worth fixing it again... :cry:

Understand but there is no harm in trying :) Drop me an email to darkufo@spoilertv.com and I'll get you all setup. It's nice and easy :)
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby Joshua on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Great review, DL! Always love the history and links you provide in your reviews :)

I really enjoyed the episodes! I'm loving picking out the Lost references (like I like to do in Once Upon A Time) and it's great having Jorge back on our screens. I wonder if they'll slip a "dude" in at some point :D He's already spoken about 'the island' hehe.

Can't wait for more after this great opener!

Oh, and it was really obvious it was Giacchino. Most of the music would not be out of place in a Lost episode (in fact a couple of times it sounded like it'd been picked straight from the Lost soundtrack :P )
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby Michelle on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:07 am

Joshua wrote:Oh, and it was really obvious it was Giacchino. Most of the music would not be out of place in a Lost episode (in fact a couple of times it sounded like it'd been picked straight from the Lost soundtrack :P )

Oh yeah that I noticed right away, Giacchino is great. The music gives the show a LOSTish feel.
Michelle
Emmy Nominee

Postby dutchie on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:54 am

Dont know if this is my cup of tea, but for now I keep on watching.
The leading lady, there is something about her that I just dont like...maybe its her haircut...
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:40 am

Thanks, Josh, for reading! :D

As long as no one will be mad when my laptop quits :lol: , I will still try write articles then Dark. (I just didn't want to be unprofessional and leave you hanging). I will send you an e-mail in the morning (I might make my post look a little neater before then)

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:15 pm

After a rewatch I came to some further thoughts...

The Tale of Three Jacks:

To me Jack Sylvane is a rather human character. He comes off as extremely emotional and makes me initially challenge said premise that "The WORST Criminals are coming back." I believe Jack to be a character that has been taken for a ride, and perhaps he wasn't always the criminal he has been made out to be...

Although it's early, If I had to pick another Bad Robot character to parallel him too, it would be LOST's Jack Shephard. Both share the same first name and a last initial, both seem to get upset when they believe their love interests may be with other men (It's really the sense of loss that gets to them.) Shephard becomes irate, violent, and stalker-sih toward's his wife Sarah after she wants a divorce and Jack almost completely ruins his relationship with Kate Austen when he thinks she still cares deeply for James, when in fact she was just following through on a promise.

After confronting his brother, Alan, Sylvane goes to the grave site of his wife, whom remarried and had a son with Alan, (Who was sadly also named Alan). He says, "I forgive you.", which seemingly relates to the situation with Alan, but I am not completely sold that this was all he was referring to...

In Alias CIA Agent Jack Bristow was taken for a ride in the early 1980's when he married a school teacher named Lara, whom was actually a Russian Spy (or criminal) named Irena DeRevko. Alias embellishes a large family saga, in which their daughter, who also becomes a CIA agent, Sydney, has to comes to terms the lies told by her father, and the realization her mother is alive and still an active spy...

When Sylvane's wife came and was finally able to visit him in one of the 1960's flashbacks, it was clear that she spoke with an accent. IMO it seemed like it may have been Russian, Slovakian, or Ukrainian.

Tying these things together almost makes me think that Sylvane's wife could lead us to a bigger story line in why Sylvane even went to prison, let alone for him to be provoked to murder, which landed him in Alcatraz. --And what ever may have gone on there! But like with Alias and Fringe, I think we could get into sleeper agent/goverment soldier kind of experiments and these men where the lab rats...

Ernest Cobb...

It's with that I could make another reference to another Cobb from a Fringe episode, "Johari Window", in which a scientist named Cobb was apart of an experiment the CIA reveals as "Project Elelphant"...in which the governent lied to Mr. Cobb about the physical scope of the experiment which resulted with the people living in the town to become genetically disfigured.

Ernest Cobb's episode seemed to be a stand alone, at least at a glance. We learn that he kills in 3's for 3 days, and Rebecca discovers that his MO relates to Cobb not being told he had a half sister, which he discovered himself when she was 15. So one of the set of the 3 victims always is a teenage girl.

The audience is not given an origin place to where Cobb first appears in modern day, and unlike Sylvane, Cobb seems to have no issues with being in a different time period.

The way Cobb kills, the things he says, "47 stripes in the picket fence"..."47 slots in the picket fence", IMO is reminicent of a mental disorder, one that deals with counting and/or repeating. There was once a film or a television show, which I can't remember, but the wife of a man was hiding the truth about her husband, and when they found him he was on the floor counting the number of threads of the fringes of a rug and if you disturbed his thought process, he would break down and become violent!

Additionally this is not the only time Bad Robot fans have seen something like this. In LOST we were introduced to an aquaintance of Hugo Reyes at Santa Rosa Mental Health Institution named Leonard Simms in the episode, "Numbers". As we know the numbers in LOST were repeating on a loop, possibly hinting at time loops and multiple time lines, but also reflected a number "assigned" to each of Jacob's Candidates to one day become the Island Protector...Leonard is seen playing connect four when he continuously repeats "4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42" and isn't disturbed until Hurley confronts him...

HURLEY: C'mon, Lenny, give me something. Anything. Where'd you get the numbers? Is that why you're here, Lenny? Is it because of the numbers? Did they do something to you? Because I think they did something to me. I think they turned me into a jinx -- bad news to everyone around me. And when I tell people I think I'm the cause they, they, they look at me like I'm nuts. They don't believe me. But I know, ever since I won the lottery with those numbers.
LENNY: You used those numbers to play the lottery?

HURLEY: Uh, -- yeah.

LENNY: Well, you shouldn't have done that. You've opened the box!

HURLEY: I what?

LENNY: Ah, you shouldn't have used those numbers!

HURLEY: Why not?

LENNY: It doesn't stop! You've got to get away from those numbers! You've got to get far, far away!

When you think about how Cobb was saying 47 stripes and 47 slots, you immediately can't help to tie it into his checkered or gingham pick-nick blanket and his plaid lawn chair...but also you might think of rows and isles (not unlike the connect 4 game) -but also a 47x47 squared object! --It's curious since 47 is an Alias number that refers to the works of Milo Rambaldi, such as "The Cube" (<---Immortality). Boxes are a Bad Robot theme in general and we also have a Key that Sylvane takes from Barker Flynn which surely opens some 'mystery box'.

One other Bad Robot character has a similar disorder! FRINGE's Walter Bishop's aquaintance from St. Clares Mental Institution, Dashiell Kim, whom was a scientist that went mad and killed his wife, because he couldn't solve "the equation", which is later revealed he was experimented on by using either hullucinations or some other mass delusion to force Kim, like the boy in the episode, to work on "The Equation"...

FROM FRINGEPEDIA:
Dashiell Kim is an astrophysicist who was abducted for a week, then had a psychotic break when he returned and killed his wife with a tire iron. He is institutionalized at St. Claire's Hospital, where he was at the same time as Doctor Walter Bishop, and is classified as criminally insane with knowledge of state secrets. During his abduction, he was subjected to treatments designed to extract from his brain the solution to an equation he had been obsessed with. This equation is equivalent to the musical piece composed by Ben Stockton in The Equation.

Dashiell Kim is the head of the Astrophysics Department at the University of Massachusetts, before he went missing in May 2006.

He had a sideline consulting the defense contract for JPL.

None of it was real. She hurt me. She put me in a dungeon. She filled my mind with images of the people I loved... and then tortured them ripping them apart all the while trying to suck the answers she wanted out of my head. But I couldn't - I couldn't give her what she wanted.
- (to Walter, revealing his the torture of his abduction)

Looking back at Mr. Cobb, and once again thinking about creating sleeper agents, it's unknown if Cobb had this disorder prior to going to prison or Alcatraz, but curiously, his red and white pick nick blanket is similar, if not the same, as Edwin James' table clothe where he is seen eating on in a flashback scene...Wonder if it is a type of trigger?

But seemingly all of the pick-nick-picket-fence-ideas come down to Cobb's idea of a broken and/or not 'perfect' family and makes me think that family of all the inmates may be seemingly important to their identity, which is way Rebecca's story with her grandfather, Inmate Tommy Madsen, should be front and center.

The Man Behind the Curtain!
Bad Robot likes to reuse many pop culture references. Both LOST and FRINGE harbor references to "The Wizard of Oz" and I think maybe Alcatraz will do the same.

Tommy Madsen, Rebecca's grandfather, is revealed to be the man who killed her partner, but we also see him conversing with Jack Sylvane while blood is being taken from them in a medical room of Alcatraz during a flashback, only Tommy is shown to us in sillotte from behind a curtain...(and Jack says, he doesn't trust him)

Thinking about a man behind the curtain, leads me to think of LOST's Benjamin Linus...He lied about who he was to the 815-ers, saying he was Henry Gale who crashed on the Island with his Balloon. This reference to the Wizard of Oz refers to the wizard himself, who in some ways was a fraud and a coward, but in other ways his perhaps unethical dealings was the only way to maintain order and to help protect Oz. We come to know Ben was protecting the Island from Charles Widmore and as we've seen from Widmore's missionaries, such as Martin Keamy, Ben was right to be very concerned.

We already know Rebecca believed Tommy to be a guard, instead of the reveal he was an inmate.

Additionally Ernest Cobb's story, with country farming and longing for the perfect family, seems remincent of Dorothy's Kansas, pick-nick basket, and gingham shirts, and all! To wake up in a place where the culture and by extension the technology is so different, surely would be like stepping into another world...Perhaps Barker Flynn's key will lead us to Emerald City and back to Tommy Madsen.

Other Thoughts:
Although the inside of the reconstructed Alcatraz prison that Emerson Hauser returns the inmates too, looks much like a scanner-room prior to entering the sub floor of SD-6's Credit Daphene building, The whole APO building (Alias), and another scanner room seen before entering the Liberty Island Bridge Area of Fringe's season 4 Timeline, the outside of the building looks VERY much like LOST's 2004/2007 aged version of Dharma Initiative Dharma Stations.

The one that really comes to mind is The Hydra Station. In Lost it is this station is where Ben not only returns the favor of being tortured by the 815-ers, by having both former criminals Kate Austen and James "Sawyer" Ford do manual labor of help building a runway, but also put them both behind bars, as the Hydra was originally a zoological station where animals were experimented on. (Genetically modified Polar Bears, super ape named Joop, and the Hurley Bird). Additionally Jack Shepard is taken too, but kept in a sub basement former aquarium, to be black-mailed by Ben via torturing Kate and James, in order for Ben to get his tumor removed, as Jack was a spinal surgeon...We learn later that the station also harbors a brain washing room known as room 23, which seemingly the others used on humans, and can only be presumed that either Dharma did human-animal experimentation, or that the brainwashing room was originally meant for animals....this is where Walt was also taken to be examined.

But I also might consider thinking about the Orchid Station too. For those who may not know, J.J. Abrams wrote the screenplay for the film, "Forever Young"...

From Wikipedia:
Forever Young is a 1992 film with elements of romance, drama and science fiction, directed by Steve Miner, starring Mel Gibson, Elijah Wood and Jamie Lee Curtis. The screenplay was written by J.J. Abrams from an original story, "The Rest of Daniel". The original music score is composed by Jerry Goldsmith. The film is marketed with the tagline "Time waits for no man, but true love waits forever."

In 1939, Captain Daniel McCormick (Mel Gibson) is a reckless test pilot. After a successful run in a prototype North American B-25 Mitchell, McCormick is greeted by his longtime friend, Harry Finley (George Wendt), who confides that his latest experiment, "Project B", has succeeded in doing the impossible. The machine, built by Finley and his team of scientists, is a prototype chamber for cryonic freezing. When McCormick's girlfriend, Helen (Isabel Glasser) goes into a coma from an accident and the doctors doubt she will ever recover, McCormick insists he be put in suspended animation for one year, so he will not have to watch Helen die.

Fifty-three years later, two boys playing inside an abandoned military storage warehouse stumble onto the chamber (which they initially think is an old water heater). Twisting the dials, they accidentally activate the reversal process. During the confusion, McCormick's sleeping form reflexively grabs one boy's coat. They flee in terror, and shortly after, McCormick awakens in 1992. After appropriating shorts and a shirt from a clothesline, he first approaches the military about his experiences. When they dismiss him as crazed, McCormick becomes more determined to learn what happened to Finley, Helen, and the world that has seemingly evolved overnight around him.

His search leads him to Nat Cooper (Elijah Wood), one of the two boys who opened the chamber, and owner of the aforementioned jacket. Though the boys are initially terrified, McCormick is able to calm Cooper and his friend with the truth of his story. This bond is strengthened when Nat's mother, Claire (Jamie Lee Curtis) offers McCormick a place to stay, until he can discover what to do with his search. Nonetheless, McCormick's time is running out, as his body starts to age rapidly, due to the years he spent in stasis...

Many Bad Robot works feature cryogenics or cryogenetic chambers...FRINGE has Shapeshifter take a scientist's cryo-preserved head as his own. Lost's Orchid station in conjunction to a dynamic with the Swan Station (electromagnetic pocket) may be a cryogenetic chamber of 'time' (preservation and manifestation of time lines--including the causing cassimar effect), since the lowest level of Orchid features a chamber which is frozen and contains a wheel with "exotic matter"...

But exploring immortality and 501 ways to not age and/or be preserved in time (life extension-time travel, bleed throughs, astral projection, astral planes, electromagnetic water/personified pocket (<--smoke monster), syruem, shape-shifters/genetic modification, and multiple time lines created trough black holes wchich create multiple versions of people and events) are other usual trade marks of Bad Robot works.

(I am going to try and add some photos to compare here later...stay tuned)
Last edited by DarthLocke on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:17 am

I finally got to watch the 2 hours of the premiere at last! Our satellite service was out during the first hour Monday, and after much time on the phone with them, I finally got to see most of the second hour. :x Anyway, I watched the episodes online and really, really liked this new show! :thumbsup:

I like the whole premise of how each week will deal with these criminals and their former crimes as they come back to the future time line. Of course, the character I like the most so far is Hauser. It was so interesting to see him revealed in the 1st episode as the young guard who helps discover everyone missing at the prison. I'm also very interested in what is going on with his assistant and how she is shown as another person who has not aged. That is the mystery that will keep me watching each week. Could she have been one of the first volunteers to undergo whatever happened to these men? Maybe later on she confided in Hauser as someone to help her take the "bad guys" down?? He may know the secret because of her, and it will be up to them and their new "team" to lock up these returning criminals before they can do whatever their mission is. :hmm:

I found it curious that during the 1st episode, we are shown that Jack has a lot of blood taken from him before he moves onto the next level of "experiments"??? or what I assume is to happen next to him as we hear the "the man behind the curtain" reveal! :lol: There is someone much more powerful than this assistant behind the facts that I can't wait to meet!

I actually like Rebecca and think that she plays well off of Dr. Diego( I want to call him Hurley SO badly!!) They have good chemistry and she has that "edge" to her that makes her gusty which I like with all the female characters we get with BadRobot. Doc is perfect as the civilian on the team with all that knowledge that they need as each criminal comes forward. He's their walking Alcatraz "pedia" and that comic relief that's needed within the darkness of this show.

I wasn't really sure about how this show would play but I like it already! I'm really going to try and keep up since I already am a regular viewer of Hawaii Five 0 on CBS (same time), but this show may start to take precedence for me over that show if things stay interesting with Alcatraz. :D
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:27 am

JacobsMom wrote:I finally got to watch the 2 hours of the premiere at last! Our satellite service was out during the first hour Monday, and after much time on the phone with them, I finally got to see most of the second hour. :x Anyway, I watched the episodes online and really, really liked this new show! :thumbsup:

I like the whole premise of how each week will deal with these criminals and their former crimes as they come back to the future time line. Of course, the character I like the most so far is Hauser. It was so interesting to see him revealed in the 1st episode as the young guard who helps discover everyone missing at the prison. I'm also very interested in what is going on with his assistant and how she is shown as another person who has not aged. That is the mystery that will keep me watching each week. Could she have been one of the first volunteers to undergo whatever happened to these men? Maybe later on she confided in Hauser as someone to help her take the "bad guys" down?? He may know the secret because of her, and it will be up to them and their new "team" to lock up these returning criminals before they can do whatever their mission is. :hmm:

I found it curious that during the 1st episode, we are shown that Jack has a lot of blood taken from him before he moves onto the next level of "experiments"??? or what I assume is to happen next to him as we hear the "the man behind the curtain" reveal! :lol: There is someone much more powerful than this assistant behind the facts that I can't wait to meet!

I actually like Rebecca and think that she plays well off of Dr. Diego( I want to call him Hurley SO badly!!) They have good chemistry and she has that "edge" to her that makes her gusty which I like with all the female characters we get with BadRobot. Doc is perfect as the civilian on the team with all that knowledge that they need as each criminal comes forward. He's their walking Alcatraz "pedia" and that comic relief that's needed within the darkness of this show.

I wasn't really sure about how this show would play but I like it already! I'm really going to try and keep up since I already am a regular viewer of Hawaii Five 0 on CBS (same time), but this show may start to take precedence for me over that show if things stay interesting with Alcatraz. :D

YAY! I am glad you liked it! :D It's always so nice to read your thoughts and I was hoping we would embark in discussion of another show together! :lol: ---And we both recognized the man behind the curtain aspect to Tommy Madsen! :w00t: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I read a lot of comments from others stating that Sam Niell's character came off forced, but I didn't feel it to be a bad thing at all, because I think his character will be a force to be recon with :whistle:

Yeah we always get pretty gutsy females and yet their all unique too! Rebecca reminds me a bit of blue Olivia with a dash of Alice Dainard, a dash of Juliet Burke, and a bit of Charlotte Staples Lewis...all very capable!

I totally didn't suspect that Lucy would be such an interesting character! It was sort of alluded through the lack of spoilers about her that she might have been Marshall Flinkman or Astrid Farnsworth-esque, but clearly she has more dual-identity-scientist kind of role and I am anxious to learn more about her!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:26 am

DarthLocke wrote:I totally didn't suspect that Lucy would be such an interesting character! It was sort of alluded through the lack of spoilers about her that she might have been Marshall Flinkman or Astrid Farnsworth-esque, but clearly she has more dual-identity-scientist kind of role and I am anxious to learn more about her!

Thanks for the kind words Darth! :) I had to watch mainly for the chance of seeing Jorge once again.

I was also surprised at how much interest I got from this mysterious secret between Hauser and Lucy. Just as it seems she is a lowly assistant to him, we get that amazing flashback of her from the 60's at Alcatraz. :thumbup: Knowing that Hauser is "normal" in his own aging process, that made me want to know more! I guess I was expecting him to be the one who hadn't aged just like the inmates but I was not expecting Lucy for sure. I think he is perfect in his portrayal of Hauser with the secretive but smiling confidence he shows Rebecca. He has been waiting a long time for this and I want to know why! :lol:
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby Joshua on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:37 pm

My first thoughts about Lucy was that either she'd gone back in time, or come forwards in time. I hadn't considered that she hadn't aged. Interesting.

I also like Rebecca a lot more than I did Olivia by episode 2, so that's good :)
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby Devil's Arcade on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:42 pm

dutchie wrote:Dont know if this is my cup of tea, but for now I keep on watching.
The leading lady, there is something about her that I just dont like...maybe its her haircut...

I thought it would be due to the fact that she can't act?

The episodes were pretty decent. It should be so much better though. I think a lot of the writing is very cheesy and cliched, but it is still enjoyable.

Jorge Garcia is playing a character with too many similar personality traits as Hurley, imo.
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:14 pm

Devil's Arcade wrote:
dutchie wrote:Dont know if this is my cup of tea, but for now I keep on watching.

I thought it would be due to the fact that she can't act?

The episodes were pretty decent. It should be so much better though. I think a lot of the writing is very cheesy and cliched, but it is still enjoyable.

Jorge Garcia is playing a character with too many similar personality traits as Hurley, imo.

I liked this pilot WAY better than I even liked FRINGE's pilot, and I love FRINGE dearly...IMO Pilots usually hold more weight later, when the story has been able to build up around it. So I don't think anyone should judge a show by it's pilot anyways...

I like Rebecca Madsen, but think one reason some might not have taken a shine to her straight away, is that one, we really don't know her, and second, she and Diego are set up as point blank good characters and were not presented as mysterious or dangerous, where as everyone else was...

I think Diego is like Hugo, but educated and/or knowledgable and with some tact. IMO Bad Robot does all these strange-fun things...things that expand from another story/work indirectly into another. So in LOST we never got see what kind of person Hugo became once he settled into his Island Protector role...We don't see what knowledge he gains that might help other people (like Walt and by extension the spirit of Michael) and if that knowledge changes him at all. So IMO Diego is like seeing Hugo in a role we didn't get to. (And of course Diego is the name of Hugo's brother on LOST)

But I think we need a character to be with the thoughts of the audience and Jorge Garcia was wonderful in doing that with LOST and I am sure he will be informing us here too!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Next

Return to Other Shows Discussion [No spoilers!]