[Official] Alcatraz S1 Discussion

General discussion of television shows (non listed)

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Alcatraz S1 Discussion

Postby JacobsMom on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:01 am

"Webb Porter"

I really enjoyed this latest episode. It had a great story line and the direction was superb by Jack Bender! :thumbsup: Many, many excellent scenes with the use of music driving the action of the actors. My favorite of those had to be when we see Webb with his first victim as he drags her into the bathroom with the music playing.

Lucy is a huge favorite of mine as she works her "magic" with these inmates. This episode particularly showed her caring ways with these murderers and we see by this point that the warden is amazed with the results she is getting. I had the feeling that Warden James thinks of scientists as "magicians" as he mentions to Lucy that he never doubted she would have something inside her "bag of tricks" to use on Webb. He has found a "new toy" that Dr. B confirmed to a startled Lucy at the end of the episode. Once again I think the warden is using her along with all these inmates to control the social experiment that he enjoys orchestrating at Alcatraz.

The flashback scenes between Hauser and Lucy show how much these two have fallen in love. We discover that he studied philosophy at Yale. He too is an observer of humanity and we see how far he has strayed from that caring, young man. Lucy is a guiding force in his life and now that she isn't there, he has lost his way. I loved that scene when Hauser sneaks up on Doc and Rebecca as they question what he is up to. :) That scene between Hauser as he berates Rebecca at the second crime scene was great. She doesn't let Hauser control her and he hates her for it. Thank goodness Doc is there to intervene when needed! :lol:

Dr. B is another favorite character and always seems to shine in every scene he's in. It was funny to see him struggle with this new type of technology as Hauser shouts at him from somewhere beyond this "television/computer"!! He is always shown in those flashbacks observing/learning from Lucy as she works the "magic" on those inmates. I still think Lucy and he became friends, and then later victims of Warden James and this mystery at Alcatraz.

Poor Mr. Tiller. He is shown again losing the control he had over the music room and inmates playing his beloved jazz. The warden lets Lucy interrupt Tiller's sanctuary at the music room and even as he tries to prove that Webb will be a failure at playing music, Tiller is proven wrong. Webb is actually a musical savant and quickly plays the violin to perfection which irritates Tiller. I think Tiller treats these inmates as he was treated during his childhood. I believe he wanted badly to be "someone" and all he got at his home was that he was "no one". Tiller only enjoys those inmates that do things he loves himself, like play the music he wanted so badly to play himself. It gave him the control he craved while at Alcatraz.

Very cool way to reveal that Lucy herself was from the past as Doc and Rebecca watch her from the old movie reel. Things are all starting to come together now as we get closer to the season finale next week!! Can't wait.

Good lines:
"I wasn't always like this you know. " Hauser with his massage therapist/healer
"Because I believe a man can change. Has the right to change." Lucy to Webb
"She could be the key to everything." Rebecca to Doc

Favorite scenes:
Lucy getting Webb to relive his trauma from his mother as she tries to drown him.
Webb telling Lucy that hopefully someday he will be able to repay her for helping him at Alcatraz.
Webb plays to an empty hall and then hears the applause that isn't really there.
Webb plays his violin in his "new" cell and silences the savage beast of the cell block full of angry inmates.
Lucy realizes that Dr. B is right as the warden looks up at her with a smile of accomplishment with Webb.
Webb plays once again in the new prison and as the music stops....Lucy's eyes open! :thumbsup:

Fun Fact:
Today is March 21...the day in history that Alcatraz closed in 1963. :thumbup:
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Webb Porter Recap Now Posted: http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/03/alcatraz-webb-porter-recaps.html

-------------------------------------------------------------

JacobsMom wrote:Lucy is a huge favorite of mine as she works her "magic" with these inmates. This episode particularly showed her caring ways with these murderers and we see by this point that the warden is amazed with the results she is getting. I had the feeling that Warden James thinks of scientists as "magicians" as he mentions to Lucy that he never doubted she would have something inside her "bag of tricks" to use on Webb. He has found a "new toy" that Dr. B confirmed to a startled Lucy at the end of the episode. Once again I think the warden is using her along with all these inmates to control the social experiment that he enjoys orchestrating at Alcatraz.

The flashback scenes between Hauser and Lucy show how much these two have fallen in love. We discover that he studied philosophy at Yale. He too is an observer of humanity and we see how far he has strayed from that caring, young man. Lucy is a guiding force in his life and now that she isn't there, he has lost his way. I loved that scene when Hauser sneaks up on Doc and Rebecca as they question what he is up to. That scene between Hauser as he berates Rebecca at the second crime scene was great. She doesn't let Hauser control her and he hates her for it. Thank goodness Doc is there to intervene when needed!

Dr. B is another favorite character and always seems to shine in every scene he's in. It was funny to see him struggle with this new type of technology as Hauser shouts at him from somewhere beyond this "television/computer"!! He is always shown in those flashbacks observing/learning from Lucy as she works the "magic" on those inmates. I still think Lucy and he became friends, and then later victims of Warden James and this mystery at Alcatraz.

Couldn't agree more! :thumbup: It really was an emotional episode and it's these kinds of complexities that make me love shows like this. I find all of the characters and their relationships with each other really interesting. It isn't as slap-bang and I like that there are things we still yet don't understand about any of them.

I kind of couldn't get myself to believe that Webb's tinnitus derived from his mother attempting to drown him in the bath tub, not after what we learned from "Clarence Montgomery"...I keep thinking that he should of developed this symptom sooner, and ultimately would have been institutionalized/seen a doctor earlier in life...not to mention how long he waited before allegedly killing his mother.

A few episode's back Darque had proposed that Lucy had been shot on purpose by Ernest Cobb...going back to your idea about the colloidal silver that lead me back to think of things in terms of Frankenstein, I am not sure if Lucy is going to be the same now, let alone if she wasn't already influenced by the facilitators in the 1960's...I have to think that maybe Darque is right about that. I think shooting her and giving her a inmates colloidal silver infused blood may be no accident, but apart of some grand plane... :hmm:

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:47 am

DarthLocke wrote:Webb Porter Recap Now Posted: http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/03/alcatraz-webb-porter-recaps.html

-------------------------------------------------------------

JacobsMom wrote:Lucy is a huge favorite of mine as she works her "magic" with these inmates. This episode particularly showed her caring ways with these murderers and we see by this point that the warden is amazed with the results she is getting. I had the feeling that Warden James thinks of scientists as "magicians" as he mentions to Lucy that he never doubted she would have something inside her "bag of tricks" to use on Webb. He has found a "new toy" that Dr. B confirmed to a startled Lucy at the end of the episode. Once again I think the warden is using her along with all these inmates to control the social experiment that he enjoys orchestrating at Alcatraz.

The flashback scenes between Hauser and Lucy show how much these two have fallen in love. We discover that he studied philosophy at Yale. He too is an observer of humanity and we see how far he has strayed from that caring, young man. Lucy is a guiding force in his life and now that she isn't there, he has lost his way. I loved that scene when Hauser sneaks up on Doc and Rebecca as they question what he is up to. That scene between Hauser as he berates Rebecca at the second crime scene was great. She doesn't let Hauser control her and he hates her for it. Thank goodness Doc is there to intervene when needed!

Couldn't agree more! :thumbup: It really was an emotional episode and it's these kinds of complexities that make me love shows like this. I find all of the characters and their relationships with each other really interesting. It isn't as slap-bang and I like that there are things we still yet don't understand about any of them.

I kind of couldn't get myself to believe that Webb's tinnitus derived from his mother attempting to drown him in the bath tub, not after what we learned from "Clarence Montgomery"...I keep thinking that he should of developed this symptom sooner, and ultimately would have been institutionalized/seen a doctor earlier in life...not to mention how long he waited before allegedly killing his mother.

A few episode's back Darque had proposed that Lucy had been shot on purpose by Ernest Cobb...going back to your idea about the colloidal silver that lead me back to think of things in terms of Frankenstein, I am not sure if Lucy is going to be the same now, let alone if she wasn't already influenced by the facilitators in the 1960's...I have to think that maybe Darque is right about that. I think shooting her and giving her a inmates colloidal silver infused blood may be no accident, but apart of some grand plane... :hmm:

That's an interesting idea. I thought it was SO creepy how she opened her eyes as the music stops. Sort of that Frankenstein thing as you mention. I do love the empathy from her character though and kind of hope that tptb don't turn her into something else now. But I did think about this as we learn that Dr. B will use the blood of that special match for her. I don't see her as becoming violent or a killer but maybe this blood makes them all "super humans" somehow and now Lucy is a part of this.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby Joshua on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:48 pm

I feel so lame coming in here and writing "It was ok" when you both write such excellent reviews of the episodes :lol:

I've kind of lost interest with the show tbh which is why I'm not putting much analysis of my own into it. I'll see it to the end of S1 and maybe try some of S2, but I don't see this as must-watch TV for me personally.
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby JacobsMom on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:15 am

Joshua wrote:I feel so lame coming in here and writing "It was ok" when you both write such excellent reviews of the episodes :lol:

I've kind of lost interest with the show tbh which is why I'm not putting much analysis of my own into it. I'll see it to the end of S1 and maybe try some of S2, but I don't see this as must-watch TV for me personally.

Thanks for the nice comment Josh! :)

I've stuck with Alcatraz because I love the time travel aspect of this show and of course, I wanted to see Jorge Garcia in a new setting once again. :wub: I believe there have been some amazing hidden messages in certain scenes, especially those flashback scenes of the 60's. I've found myself getting very interested in the 1960's characters like Warden James, Tiller and Lucy and this weird social experimentation being done at the Alcatraz prison. This show may be another slow starter like Fringe was during season 1 but I find the character driven episodes and the mystery behind the premise intriguing to watch.

I'm sure we'd all like to hear some comments from you too, even if you don't watch as closely as Darth, Darque and I do. :D Darth always does some super research on topics brought up during the episodes and I definitely appreciate all the extra time she puts in on these shows!
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:22 am

JacobsMom wrote:
Joshua wrote:I feel so lame coming in here and writing "It was ok" when you both write such excellent reviews of the episodes :lol:

Thanks for the nice comment Josh! :)

I've stuck with Alcatraz because I love the time travel aspect of this show and of course, I wanted to see Jorge Garcia in a new setting once again. :wub: I believe there have been some amazing hidden messages in certain scenes, especially those flashback scenes of the 60's. I've found myself getting very interested in the 1960's characters like Warden James, Tiller and Lucy and this weird social experimentation being done at the Alcatraz prison. This show may be another slow starter like Fringe was during season 1 but I find the character driven episodes and the mystery behind the premise intriguing to watch.

I'm sure we'd all like to hear some comments from you too, even if you don't watch as closely as Darth, Darque and I do. :D Darth always does some super research on topics brought up during the episodes and I definitely appreciate all the extra time she puts in on these shows!

Thanks again both of you! :blush: :) I probably take things a little far, but I guess I just like learning new things, or taxing my mind to think of things from another way!

But I enjoy discussing with just about everyone, whether a die hard fan, or a casual viewer. So I hope you continue to give us your two cents, Josh! :D

I agree with JacobsMom though! -I think the show has really only just started and has a shorter season than FRINGE, but I think if we are lucky enough, if we get another season, things will start to become a little more in depth and most likely the context of the first season will change a little bit and second season and beyond will give it more substance.

Things seems like they have been set up in a sporadic way, but I think we on the verge of tying some of it together.

Have you guys seen any of the promos for the finale!?!! It reminds me of the old TV show with Michael Douglas, "The Streets of San Francisco"! :w00t:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DharmaLager on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:04 am

One word: Awesome
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:36 am

DharmaLager wrote:One word: Awesome

It was! :thumbsup:

Well I was half wrong about "The Hole", -no reality travel-bridge revealed, but there is a sudo make-shift lab/tracking station and a Fringe scientist....it makes me want to say, "So much happened here. So much is about to."

(Looking at the map with all the markers def reminded me of both Alias and Vaughn's map of SD-6 and FRINGE season one map of "pattern" events...)

But oh, the rest of it was amazing and I was right about Harlan being a bigger player...at least we have a wealthy company to look for on his behalf...

But the fact that some of these guys were working and waging war against each other for almost 3 years prior to "the jump", was just so unexpected, let alone that the scope widened because they were globally unleashed!

I can't wait for a rewatch so I can get to the recaps! The one thing that's on my mind is CERN-like idea...but I need to hear the wording of everything again.

I hope SO much we get another season!

------------------------------------------

Just came back to add that we have a name for Matt Craven's character the man once working with The Warden and seems to wake up and is found in the former tracking room...Mr. K

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:54 pm

Why is it that people die so easy on tv shows and in films :S
Im sure she will open her eyes when/if there is a second season, but still, its stupid.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:26 pm

dutchie wrote:Why is it that people die so easy on tv shows and in films :S
Im sure she will open her eyes when/if there is a second season, but still, its stupid.

Well just because she's proclaimed dead, doesn't mean she is dead...and actually you could bleed out pretty quick...but some speculate that Tommy's knife might be 'the real killer' here. (it could be made from Colloidal Silver), or he needed a sample of her blood for something.

I think it's not her possible death that's shocking or even the easiness of it, it's the reason behind the stabbing that is shocking, because we definitely don't understand Tommy Madsen. If he wanted to kill her, he had other resources at his hands (her gun, the cars) --plus he had been watching her, he could have had the element of surprise or planned better...this all suggests that his motive was not to kill her, but perhaps "change" her. (they have started to dance around the elixir of life aspect and possible side effects the Colloidal Silver might have...playing on 'bringing people back from the dead' - Frankenstein---creating monster(s))

I think Rebecca wants to know Tommy. I think she was hoping he was like her or that she wanted to like him, despite how "ruthless" he has been made out to be. --There's great potential in paralleling the characters and placing them in similar roles politically... I would like to be able to see the writers have an opportunity to do that.

I don't think anyone was expecting Rebecca to left for dead as the cliffhanger.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:37 pm

I know she wont be dead for long...unless ofcourse there is no second season :P
You cant make a knife from colloidal silver. Colloidal silver is just tiny parts of silver in water. There is nothing special about it. So if you melt it and lose the water part and the tiny part, its not colloidal anymore.
Anyway, it was good to see Lucy back in action, she is my favourite character.
And I do hope there is a second season, even though I dont think this show is all that good, but it entertains me :thumbup:
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby JacobsMom on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:20 pm

"Garrett Stillman"

I really, really liked this episode! :thumbsup: This is the first time that Warden James has been duped by an inmate. :lol: Of course, so was I right up until the end when he reveals to the warden that it was Tiller who helped complete the task. It is not surprising that a lot of these inmates were of genius IQ and Stillman was the perfect con man with an amazing eye for details. Stillman has got to be my favorite inmate episode up to this point! I thought it was great to see the warden assume he was beaten by Tiller and then find out all along that Tiller was the one who was conned. Even though, the warden still had the control in the end and kept Stillman in the hole after his brilliant con. I would bet that Tiller was furious after he learned that Stillman conned him and Stillman must have paid because of that while he was still at Alcatraz.

Whoever Harlan Simmons was in 1960, I think he was "made" into what he became by the name of the person on that paper slip the warden gave him. I also think that this person is our facilitator in 1960 and maybe he too is still alive. I'll bet that this is the person that the warden answered to and it is becoming clearer that these men all have military backgrounds going back to at least the Korean War. Even Stillman was probably part of that war as a military strategist that Lucy mentioned.

Lucy's character just keeps getting better and better with her return to 2012 scenes. :D The control she carries over Hauser is just so much fun to watch. I hope we do get a series renewal just so I can see that scene where Hauser has found her after she jumps back from the 60's!! I think that one will be awesome. I loved that scene between Rebecca and her, as Rebecca realizes that Hauser was her boyfriend 50 years ago. Lucy let's us know that she may be back from the past but she has lost so much in this new future. Then we get to see that scene between Cobb and her at the prison! She remains pretty cool for facing the person who almost killed her but I suppose her training kicks in with these inmates since time really hasn't passed at all for any of them.

Cool to see how they end up finding the door at last and that there is the need for that 3rd key. It was almost as if Lucy needed to be there to help them find it since I'm thinking she had seen it back in 1960 at some point.

I'm also loving that Doc is becoming quite the detective! It was nice to see him get one up on the team as he finds the get away vehicle for Stillman and then uses modern technology to track him down! :lol:

So whoever "ghost" is working for....Warden James?, Simmons?, our mystery person from the slip of paper?...they knew exactly where to find Stillman at and kill him to get the key back. At first I was completely confused by that scene because I thought it was Tommy! Had to rewind and watch that one again. :lol:

Favorite Scene:
Seeing the warden have to eat a little crow with Tiller at the docks and then later being told by Stillman that the whole thing went off exactly as he had planned it!

Good lines:
"You begin to realize that even though you're in their world, you're not of their world." Lucy
"You worry about the chess pieces, let me worry about the board." Tommy to Garrett
"As long as you're alive, you'll always be a target." Cobb

Cool stuff:
481516 numbers on the armored truck!
Bynum Security has a keyhole emblem for the company symbol
Grandmaster Doc fools Stillman!
Last edited by JacobsMom on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby JacobsMom on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:40 am

"Tommy Madsen"

I don't think that Tommy really killed his wife or that Van saw it all happen. What I do think is that Warden James, and his outside source man(Harlan's friend), wanted Tommy in Alcatraz and so they set the whole thing up to get Tommy there. Tommy really wanted to go back to his life with Van and that probably was his "wish" that the warden had granted to him. But once he saw that Van no longer even knew who Tommy was, he knew he had to make sure that at least Ray would raise Van and keep their family together.

One thing I do believe is that Tommy had to get away from Rebecca after the car chase. He knew he couldn't be caught. I don't think he even had his gun on him but used the knife as his only weapon available. He has much more at stake than making sure that Rebecca lives at this point and we even learn that her parents deaths were probably a set up. Tommy is still the "advance man" for whoever at this point and he won't let anything stop him, even his long lost grand daughter. Tommy WAS/IS the warden's prize poodle/dog in this episode.

Whatever was going on in the 1960's at Alcatraz, the warden must have known that he needed a "dead" inmate to fit into this intricate plan. Enter the "ghost" or as we learn his name, Joe Limerick. :lol: He too has a job to do and it is a very important one that also goes bad. Tommy doesn't recover the coveted last key but Doc does! I loved the fact that Doc wouldn't give the key to Hauser at first, which made Hauser furious! :lol: Doc is starting to overcome his fear of Hauser and that's wonderful. :thumbsup:

Okay, so we get to meet another new guy...Mr. K (Thanks for the info Darth!) but he still isn't the main guy. :mad: He is just another player on the team who does what the warden tells him to do. It was pretty neat to see how scared Tommy was as they put the blood back in him. I also noticed Mr. K's ring which looked to me like solid gold. A possible pay off from the warden's stash of gold bars? :hmm: Then at the moment that Hauser and Lucy find Mr. K, I believe that to him again, no time has passed. He has come to after being knocked out by Tommy(?) and the reality that 50 years have passed is pretty amazing to him as he laughs with pleasure.

I am now positive that all of this mysterious past 50 years is part of some military experiment/job that has gone bad, as they usually do. We see that Hauser goes to this top military General on his fancy plane and this man gives Hauser a direct order. It may be that it all started out innocently through some secret military mission and the greed of some(Warden James and his secret friend) took over and this caused a war between two separate factions.

I think the one side may be Harlan Simmons and the government. I do wonder if Harlan is still alive though because when Tommy tells Joe/ghost that he can protect him from Simmons, Joe says "That's impossible". :hmm: The other side might be Warden James, his facilitator and Tommy as the advance man. It seems from the flash back in the old "bat cave" behind the door, that these times/dates/ places may be connected to this geothermal activity(tremors in earth?) that somehow makes these 63'ers jump to our time period. At least, that's my possible theory. Mr. K seemed to be behind the logistics of this information and was somehow coordinating their arrivals.

Not a huge reveal of what was behind the door but it was okay, imo. It was just a model of the 1960's "bat cave" as Doc calls it. We could see the beds where the inmates must have been held before they possibly "jumped". There was computer technology of the time period but I'm thinking there has to be more explanation for how the silver in the blood worked and why some of the inmates who did "jump" didn't need it.

The car chase was pretty cool. Nothing too amazing but I did have to laugh at the appearance of the green "Bug" twice during the chase! It almost got run over once. :lol:

I think the whole deal with Rebecca dying was more of a cliff hanger thing but there will be some explanation too if we get another season next year. She'll probably have some amazing recovering in seconds if they do return next year! :lol: I don't think it will have anything to do with this mysterious colloidial silver but who knows!

Favorite Scenes:
Tommy waking up in the hotel room and being granted his wish from the warden/genie! :lol:
Hauser and Lucy finding Mr.K in the old bat cave.

Good lines:
"Am I dead? Is this heaven?" Tommy
"Son, you should be a nickel with the amount of silver coursing through your veins." Warden James
"We will do this together." Lucy to Hauser
"Water, the elixir of life." Mr. K
"What is this place?" Tommy in bat cave
"This is your future." Warden James to Tommy

Cool stuff:
Neat angle of camera with the opening scene of Rebecca on the ground.
Dr. B and his new "electric" cigs! :lol:
Tommy is "rewarded" for passing the test and is given special preference by Warden James
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby Joshua on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:44 am

Now I know how people who watched Lost as a casual (i.e. not hardcore-obsessed) fan felt when they watched the finales and no answers were given out. The reveal behind the door was pretty lame to be honest, and no one will even consider that Rebecca is actually dead.

If it gets a second season, I don't think I'll be watching.
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Joshua wrote:Now I know how people who watched Lost as a casual (i.e. not hardcore-obsessed) fan felt when they watched the finales and no answers were given out. The reveal behind the door was pretty lame to be honest, and no one will even consider that Rebecca is actually dead.

If it gets a second season, I don't think I'll be watching.

Well I think we just skimmed over and haven't really learned what's really behind the door yet (we basically just walked in)... It might not just be a tracker room, but a "control room"...(some people are reminded of Doctor Who's Tardis...and we know Tommy was taken here...the room may be a temporary lab room)

As I said i don't think the cliffhanger is if Rebecca is dead or not, but rather the motivation behind Tommy's actions towards her and "how" is she going to survive is truly why the ending works, because there are things underneath it.

Secondly, we know longer have to guess that there is a war going on and people were being sought out even before Alcatraz in order to be "set up" to be used. We now know there is game and we know who 3 Big players are, Edwin James, Harlan Simmons, and Mr. K.

We know with out a doubt that certain people are being targeted (Lucy) and that the randomness of repeating actions is VERY intentional, although maybe in some cases not perfected, but the lack of perfected appearance is to the advantage of whom ever is using the sleeper agents...

A good show doesn't answer everything in 13 episodes...no. It just gives more definition to some things, while opening doors and expanding on others. They did that in 13 episodes. So I am def not complaining. There are SO many character's too, and I felt they handled that aspect very well.

The only thing I want from the second season is little more depth and character reflection from Rebecca. it's just like season one of FRINGE and Alias...it's really only the beginning.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shows Discussion [No spoilers!]