[Official] The Newsroom Discussion

General discussion of television shows (non listed)

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] The Newsroom Discussion

Postby theotherslover on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:18 am

I did enjoy the episode, but I didn't want them to skip through so much time that quickly.
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:27 am

theotherslover wrote:I did enjoy the episode, but I didn't want them to skip through so much time that quickly.

That would be my only complaint. I am really enjoying it otherwise :) ( and a little "YAY" For Jane Fonda, although her character is a slave to the machine!)

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby theotherslover on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:33 am

DarthLocke wrote:
theotherslover wrote:I did enjoy the episode, but I didn't want them to skip through so much time that quickly.

That would be my only complaint. I am really enjoying it otherwise :) ( and a little "YAY" For Jane Fonda, although her character is a slave to the machine!)

Yeah, wasn't expecting her to be there.
It really disturbed me that because she has to answer to the government, you can't say anything bad about them. I mean, isn't that the whole point of the freedoms in the constitution?
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:50 am

theotherslover wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:

It really disturbed me that because she has to answer to the government, you can't say anything bad about them. I mean, isn't that the whole point of the freedoms in the constitution?

Yeah exactly. I mean it show's a real complication with Industry/establishments and being politically aligned, because someone basically pays and contributes you to be there, because tech the media is an industry too...

I generally agree with Will on a lot of issues, but I think there is truth that we have inextricable problem with Government, Press, and Big Industry to a point where freedoms are really being challenged. But I am also not about anarchy as a solution, but I think the idea of protecting America, verses it's people having certain freedoms is going to get harder and harder, as we live in a world that's smaller and smaller, where the technology and how other people in the world may feel about us, is a pretty big threat, and so we do have to care about what others with different viewpoints think, which means we all have to compromise some of those liberties to survive. And unfortunately to have something means nothing is ever free...

Additionally it's hard to say 'this' is reporting the truth verses saying 'this' is over exposing the truth. Where does one draw the line on "what reporting the truth" is?

But I like how the show does keep us climbing up the ladder with bigger and bigger authoritative people one may have to answer to. :thumbup:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby theotherslover on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:58 am

DarthLocke wrote:
theotherslover wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:

Yeah exactly. I mean it show's a real complication with Industry/establishments and being politically aligned, because someone basically pays and contributes you to be there, because tech the media is an industry too...

I generally agree with Will on a lot of issues, but I think there is truth that we have inextricable problem with Government, Press, and Big Industry to a point where freedoms are really being challenged. But I am also not about anarchy as a solution, but I think the idea of protecting America, verses it's people having certain freedoms is going to get harder and harder, as we live in a world that's smaller and smaller, where the technology and how other people in the world may feel about us, is a pretty big threat, and so we do have to care about what others with different viewpoints think, which means we all have to compromise some of those liberties to survive. And unfortunately to have something means nothing is ever free...

Additionally it's hard to say 'this' is reporting the truth verses saying 'this' is over exposing the truth. Where does one draw the line on "what reporting the truth" is?

But I like how the show does keep us climbing up the ladder with bigger and bigger authoritative people one may have to answer to. :thumbup:

True, because everything is in the eye of the beholder and this show is written way after the fact, so it is easy to look at something and say, yes this how we should have done it. There is no bias free moment ever. Even if we look at the perspectives far left, far right or even just the center, there is still a spin on it. There are an infinite amount of views and ways to approach problems and to pretend there is just two is nonsense. Through all the Tea Party bashing I personally think the most honest part of the show was when Will was trying to explain what the Debt Ceiling was. No pressure, just straight facts. (Plus I was in the audience of the Daily Show when that was happening, so I smiled at that) You have to hope that the show will swing the other way, then swing no ways at all.
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby Sawyer5665 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:57 pm

This show is a joke. Who cares about the acting when the content is so full of ****???
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:This show is a joke. Who cares about the acting when the content is so full of ****???

I don't feel that way about it. Some of the questions he asks I think are valid questions. Like I was saying above, I think it is really hard in some cases to completely separate one's beliefs from their jobs, when in cases like this, their jobs are vessels for them to enforce, examine, promote, make others examine their beliefs. -What I like about the show is how we see the spinning happen. Even with this gossip column we see how one women can just make a situation look a little different than it was, simply because she didn't like what happened, but Will, even if he makes other news media and politicians look stupid, he unlike a lot of the other news media, and like said gossipist, does it with serious integrity and respect and that makes him a better journalist and a better human being IMO, because he isn't just attacking someone because they don't eat same kind of cheese as him, but because he trying to make the news clear, to make people know more of the truth behind some of these claims and beliefs of other people who live to promote themselves in the name of all of us...Our leaders tend to label us as a people, and so if our leaders do underhanded or irrational things, then the whole country looks underhanded and irrational, so important to care and to attempt to expose the reality of our leaders, and not just take their words for absolution. And to see what leaders have been 'truer' to themselves, but this whole show exposes that the way this country (or most counties) work is tricky business, because perhaps things are so inextricable...

Another thing I liked with this episode is that there was a highlight on our culture and valuing the wrong things, as everyone cares about celeberties lives instead of their own, and have made someone else's misfortune their entertainment in order pedistool and feel better about themselves , as IMO this is away to deny the truth of our reality and the truth of ourselves by exploiting and hurting others.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby theotherslover on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:18 am

My question is, was this all planned at the scandal to get him out and is Sloan involved? She got him involved with both the crazy gun lady and the reporter.
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:58 pm

theotherslover wrote:My question is, was this all planned at the scandal to get him out and is Sloan involved? She got him involved with both the crazy gun lady and the reporter.

Good question! :thumbsup: I think it's likely. I will be interested to see if it comes up again.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby theotherslover on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:21 pm

I really hate Wade right now
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:06 pm

theotherslover wrote:I really hate Wade right now

Hahaha! :rofl: I love that's what you have to say after the episode! :lol:

I din't like him to begin with anyways, because he seemed like that kind of guy, but hey, this show needs jerks to keep the relationships/social politics interesting! :P

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby theotherslover on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:20 pm

DarthLocke wrote:
theotherslover wrote:I really hate Wade right now

Hahaha! :rofl: I love that's what you have to say after the episode! :lol:

I din't like him to begin with anyways, because he seemed like that kind of guy, but hey, this show needs jerks to keep the relationships/social politics interesting! :P

It was so low! The really angered me. I am also glad that Will didn't bribe TMI because that would be a scandal in itself. So wise move there.

NEW POST

Hi, so sorry it took me so long to write a post. I actually just finished watching the episode. I wasn't home when it aired and I've been actively watching the Olympic coverage so haven't sat down to watch anything besides that. Wonderful episode. It had a real Awake theme to it, with the intercuts of the therapy session in it. Very nice performance by Olivia Munn. She showed her passion and restraint very nicely. I personally loved Don in this episode. We don't see much of his professional self so it was nice to see what he is like when not the other man in the love triangle.
What did you all think?
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:06 pm

I haven't been posting much myself.

I agree. (It reminded me of Awake too!) I really liked the whole episode. I was also glad to have more Sloan Sabbith in the episode and to get into how Will's lack of reconciliation played havoc through out the news room! It was nice to see Don acting more professional, but something about him drives me a little nuts. He just strikes me as a person whom is too much of a realist and too over controlling, but like you said, It's good for his job.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby theotherslover on Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:16 am

A good episode, but nothing really outstanding here except the content of the episode. As Charlie Skinner had said "remember where you are" and I can tell you where I was on 9/11/01 and on 5/1/11. I always try to show as much respect to these things as possible, especially since I live in New York and know many people who lost loved ones that day. SO I'm not going to say much.

Didn't like the weed thing. It was uncalled for.
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Previous

Return to Other Shows Discussion [No spoilers!]