[Official] Revolution - S1 -Discussion Thread

General discussion of television shows (non listed)

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Revolution - S1 -Discussion Thread

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:51 pm

I have seen the Pilot 3 times and really liked it. I think the actors are still finding themselves, but I like the way things looked and felt and that we had a nice sampling of the characters. Obviously I loved the LOST references and I wrote a great deal about all of that in a Recap article, which I will post a link a little later after we get some discussion going. :)

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Revolution - S1 -Discussion Thread

Postby DarkUFO on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks for creating the Discussion thread.
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby JacobsMom on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:34 pm

I only watched the pilot on Monday night when it aired. It was okay and I agree with Darth about the fun references to LOST like the airplane scene and the very last scene with the old computer. That last scene is what will keep me watching for more info since I thought everything before that was pretty generic, end of the world type scenarios.

Probably the worst scene for me was when the uncle basically fought off all the militia guys by himself. I know he is suppose to be this great "fighter" and all but I thought it was really over the top. His character is going to have to get more interesting before I "root" for him.

So far my two favorite characters are the geeky "Google" guy and the girlfriend of the dead dad. I loved how she tricked those bad guys on the airplane with her poison whiskey! :thumbup:

Anyway, back to my favorite scene of all....the woman at the house with her secret room that has electricity! That is what will get me to watch this once again and see where this all goes.

BTW, I want more E.M. too!!! So nice to see her back in another series again. :D Flashbacks are going to get real old if they don't have some real info in those to help the story move along.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:16 pm

My Recap-Speculation Article (It goes in depth with those Bad Robot things, along with some pop-culture references) I promise the next one will be much shorter :lol:
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/09/revolution-pilot-recapspeculation.html

Other Reviews/Recaps by SpoilerTV Members :)
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/09/revolution-is-off-to-brilliant-start.html
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/09/revolution-modest-assessment-by-bunky.html
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/09/revolution-fun-in-dark.html

P.S. I am pretty sure you don't make an actress a series regular, put her in key art, just to appear in flashbacks ;)

I also really like Maggie and Aaron, but I also like Charlie, Danny, Nate, and Neville. Miles is a character, though I think the actor comes with a little fan base, I agree with JacobsMom that he is a character whom is going to have to "earn" his eventual Hero status, although I think all of these characters, except Charlie and Danny, have secret motives, which is why Grace is so interesting and I am hoping Rachel is on the other computer scene. I want to know If Grace's son and Aaron's wife are still "out there"...I actually am intrigied with Bass too...In some ways he is very similar to those Bad Robot villains in the elite-intellectual sense (his tent was adorned with rather fine antiquities), but we rarely have such a young good looking one, but I am also curious if it's a family affair, or if he acted in his namesake alone????

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:41 am

I did not love the pilot. My main gripe is the characters, I thought most of them were pretty boring, particularly Charlie and the brother. I realize it was only the pilot and it was more about getting characters in position rather than developing them. But there have been plenty of pilots that grabbed me right from the start, and this show is going to have to work a bit harder to earn my love.

I thought Neville was the best character, Giancarlo Esposito is by far the best actor in the cast and he made his villain compelling, he is the one character I want to get to know better. I found Charlie really bland and I can't believe her brother has lived this long, he has a life-threatening asthma attack every 15 minutes and he's never seen an inhaler, so he's been kept alive with herbs?

I don't have a major problem with the failure of all electricity, at least not yet. At this point I'm prepared to trust JJ Abrams and Co. to come up with a set of rules that work within the Revolution universe. But I have some issues. Our brains and nerves function with electrical activity, so how are people still alive? And what about lighting, does that work?

And someone has figured out a way to run power to a network of computers, so there is juice and the internet is functioning in at least a basic way. But the only computer that works is a Commodore 64? You're planning your post-apocalyptic communication system and you can't get a netbook or an iPad or anything else to work? Don't get me wrong, I usually enjoy shout outs to sources of inspiration, but this one was a little too blatant.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:49 pm

supermodel wrote:I did not love the pilot. My main gripe is the characters, I thought most of them were pretty boring, particularly Charlie and the brother. I realize it was only the pilot and it was more about getting characters in position rather than developing them. But there have been plenty of pilots that grabbed me right from the start, and this show is going to have to work a bit harder to earn my love.

I thought Neville was the best character, Giancarlo Esposito is by far the best actor in the cast and he made his villain compelling, he is the one character I want to get to know better. I found Charlie really bland and I can't believe her brother has lived this long, he has a life-threatening asthma attack every 15 minutes and he's never seen an inhaler, so he's been kept alive with herbs?

I don't have a major problem with the failure of all electricity, at least not yet. At this point I'm prepared to trust JJ Abrams and Co. to come up with a set of rules that work within the Revolution universe. But I have some issues. Our brains and nerves function with electrical activity, so how are people still alive? And what about lighting, does that work?

And someone has figured out a way to run power to a network of computers, so there is juice and the internet is functioning in at least a basic way. But the only computer that works is a Commodore 64? You're planning your post-apocalyptic communication system and you can't get a netbook or an iPad or anything else to work? Don't get me wrong, I usually enjoy shout outs to sources of inspiration, but this one was a little too blatant.

Look to the AC/DC reference (Alternate Current/Direct Current) + the Revolution logo power button --which "was" really not the original all in one power button, but the "stand by" button = electricity is 'asleep' not gone)....

IMO the electric field is either redirected/being Absorbed into another place/device or being blocked by another force.

However in my speculation recap article I also referenced The Matrix because of Neville's appearance (glasses/long coat)...So I wonder if we are in "the matrix" and thus the lack of electricity is an allusion that created a 'false reality' or even a false truth about the origins of electricity...

Seriously there were SO many Lost references (and some parallels to Alias) that I think we should think about the Island and Government Experiments a bit...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:21 am

I don't know if I can watch this show, I hate Charlie so much. OMG she is so irritating.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby Dogma9 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:31 am

Finally got around to watching thisss. Totally didn't realize I got this channel at rez, 24 channels ftw :lol: Also heads up I feel like im going to compare this to LOST alot>.> but thats a good thing in my eyes :P

Anywhooo! I'm deff liking it so far! I agree we don't have ALOT of insight into the characters so far. But I think sometimes we base the vast amount of character development we get from current shows to new shows. :lol: I remember alot of the losties being mysterious pretty early on for example. So I think everything will work out ok if the shows given time to flourish. I'm also "pleasantly" surprised that the electricity neckless is being introduced already I figured it would be more of a mid season or later thing. And that there's more then one even? Even better. I think it will also be interesting to learn about the different factions/allegiances and how they all co-exist as the show goes on. Also loving the flashback format to learn a bit about what happened after the blackout. And it does help us learn a bit more about our characters.

I think the best thing about the show is world in general. Theres probably a filmography word for this that i dont know :P but closest i can think of to say its attention grabbing, in the fact that you can SEE the potential opportunities for story telling already. It's interesting to me, exploring the ruins of our old world. Much like you just never knew what was gonna come outta the LOST jungle, you never know what they'll discover in this vast changed world. Which is awesome and I think it gives the writers a lot of room creativity wise, which in the long run makes for a better show.

Anyway, back to my favorite scene of all....the woman at the house with her secret room that has electricity! That is what will get me to watch this once again and see where this all goe

This!!!! :thumbup: It reminds me of the whole "button" mystery which is ultimately what got me hard-core into LOST the first time.

My Recap-Speculation Article (It goes in depth with those Bad Robot things, along with some pop-culture references) I promise the next one will be much shorter :lol:
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/09/revolu ... ation.html

:thumbup: Said it alot better then I could have :lol: I also loved all the subtle nods to LOST its good to know theres fans apart of this show thats hopefully a good sign :lol: One thing though sense you mentioned not having alot of experience with Supernatural. I actually watched Supernatural for a long time.(mini unrelated rant ahead) I was a big fan of the first season. It was like the perfect monster hunting anthology show(or so I thought) then later I found (and this is probably a guy thing) he switched his audience in the second half of the second season and made it more of a girl show. It was less about monster hunting and seemed to focus more about the brothers working through their relationship with a monster fight thrown in at the end. Its like they discovered the leads were good looking so no one really cared if there was action/horror elements anymore. Which for me sucked cause I loved the first season so dark and badass :rofl: :lol: SO I just hope Revolution stays true to the show it starts out to be and keeps a good balance of mystery/action/character building and doesn't focus TOO much on any one element.

I will say as a writer though it was a decent show and he had a "5 year plan" for the show that he stayed loyal to. When they wanted to keep making seasons of the show. He left. (And this is where I stopped watching) so he was similiar to the LOST writers in the sense that he wont drag on his personal storyline, when its done its done. He def cares about his work.

Hopefully this all makes sense pretty tired but had to get my thoughts down a bit on what I thought so far :lol:
thanks to XTS

:haha: :thumbup: :thumbsup: :rockon: :w00t: :taz: :batman: :taz: :gunsmile: :tank: :guns: :music: :boat:
Dogma9
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Hey there, Dogma! Welcome aboard! :D (And thanks for your insights on Supernaturual!)

"1x02 Chained Heat"

Well I thought the first half (minus the flashback) wasn't that great, but the second half I thought greatly improved. I'm hopeful that Charlie comes to some kind of acceptability with having to fight, even kill, to survive. It seems like there's something in her that goes beyond her moral compass. It's not that I think she should just abandon what she believes, but I think the show is going to sink fast if she's going keep putting Uncle Miles down all the time and not being able to change a little herself.

I think there may be a Stephen King reference to The Stand and The Dark Tower, and I also thought of Lost's Freighter peeps (Naomi Dorrit = Nora & Maggie) and some laboring "Skate".

Anyways here's my recap/speculation article: http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/09/revolution-1x02-chained-heat.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Sym on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:58 am

My comment on Episode 2

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
I'm a little disappointed.
In two episodes have already told the whole story ...
And Yes i hate Charly

elizabeth mitchell :wub: extraordinary
http://twitter.com/symsoa
I just wanted to see what's in the land across the sea.*Lost4ever*
Sons Of Anarchy is my faith
War against the world Black Sails
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Sym wrote:My comment on Episode 2

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
I'm a little disappointed.
In two episodes have already told the whole story ...
And Yes i hate Charly

elizabeth mitchell :wub: extraordinary

You don't have to use spoiler tags in the discussion thread after the episode aired here, Sym. :)

I don't hate Charlie the way some viewers do, but I would have done 3 things differently.

1. I would have not introduced the Bounty Hunter at the train tracks. Instead I would have had the characters walk by with the implication of being followed...

2. The Bounty Hunter being put in the train car conversation would have been wrote to establish a past between him and Miles, making it all ironic, because they just walked by the trains. Charlies "Don't Kill Him" speech I would have saved for Miles sucessfully choaking him with his hand cuffs, causing him to pass out, and then proceed to kill him.

3. Everything else plays out the same util the defeating the Warden scene. That is when I would have had the Bounty Hunter come back and grab Charlie from behind and then she could have looked across at Miles and said, "Ok, you can kill him now."

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:23 pm

To Support the world doesn't look natural argument (out side of clothes).

Everyone here is assuming (which after what Aaron said you shouldn't) that what is happening is suppose to look natural, as if it was made from a natural event....If it's a man made event, with man made "technology", then how can we possibly know the way anything should look? -How do you know if mass radiation of some sort couldn't cause an accelerated global warming effect? This is also pegged as a science-fiction show...and considering Bad Robot's way of story telling, I am surprised that everyone is taking what has been presented at face value. The Star Wars Factor alone points to advance tech----> The Empire was building things, like mass weaponized-space station...and/or maybe that's why someone (like Miles or Ben) found away to stop electricity, because they don't want the Monroe Republic to be able to build their death star!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Sym on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am

I want to give this show a chance yet.
I have hope that the mysteries increase.
http://twitter.com/symsoa
I just wanted to see what's in the land across the sea.*Lost4ever*
Sons Of Anarchy is my faith
War against the world Black Sails
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Postby dutchie on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:48 pm

I think this show is pretty bad, but Ill probably keep watching because I have nothing better to do(unless it gets very tedious).
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby JacobsMom on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:18 am

The second episode was so so for me but I was glad to see Charlie's mom (E.M.) introduced in the scene with Monroe(I think that's his name??) The whole back story of her being alive should be interesting.

I actually don't mind Charlie as much as her crabby uncle! There is something about that character or maybe it is just the actor who plays him.

I liked the third episode somewhat better. There was lots of stupid stuff, like digging the tunnel to escape the militia,( I thought of LOST immediately and the cave in scene! with Jack and Charlie!) but there were some wonderful scenes too. My favorite character has to be the British woman traveling with the computer guy. Getting to see her pictures on her phone when the power came on was really nice.

I'm going to keep watching for now and like the flashback scenes that add to the story.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Next

Return to Other Shows Discussion [No spoilers!]