[Official] Revolution - S1 -Discussion Thread

General discussion of television shows (non listed)

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Revolution - S1 -Discussion Thread

Postby Sym on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:33 am

dutchie wrote:I think this show is pretty bad, but Ill probably keep watching because I have nothing better to do(unless it gets very tedious).

One reason only pushes me to continue :hmm:

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Mark Pellegrino
I love and a wonderful actor
http://twitter.com/symsoa
I just wanted to see what's in the land across the sea.*Lost4ever*
Sons Of Anarchy is my faith
War against the world Black Sails
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby supermodel on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

I was actually hoping Charlie would get killed this week so we could move on with the more interesting characters. She seems shockingly naive for a kid raised in a scary and violent time with brutal militias roaming around all over the place and her mother presumably being killed on the road. Even her bland brother is suddenly seeming more interesting.

My favorite parts of this show are the flashbacks, I like the way they are using them to develop the characters. Last week when Miles and Monroe saved the hiker, and he turned out to be Jeremy (Pellegrino), was great. This week's FB was even better, I love the way they showed Charlie's mom leaving from two perspectives. At the beginning of the ep we see her back turned, walking away from Charlie, and we see how Charlie feels abandoned by people she loves. Then at the end we see it from the other perspective, how much it is hurting her mom to leave. Nicely done.

But Monroe is an awful villain. He makes no sense. He has kept Rachel/Mom prisoner and questioning her for about ten years and he is only now getting around to arresting dad/using kids as leverage? What has he been waiting for?
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:02 pm

supermodel wrote:I was actually hoping Charlie would get killed this week so we could move on with the more interesting characters. She seems shockingly naive for a kid raised in a scary and violent time with brutal militias roaming around all over the place and her mother presumably being killed on the road. Even her bland brother is suddenly seeming more interesting.

My favorite parts of this show are the flashbacks, I like the way they are using them to develop the characters. Last week when Miles and Monroe saved the hiker, and he turned out to be Jeremy (Pellegrino), was great. This week's FB was even better, I love the way they showed Charlie's mom leaving from two perspectives. At the beginning of the ep we see her back turned, walking away from Charlie, and we see how Charlie feels abandoned by people she loves. Then at the end we see it from the other perspective, how much it is hurting her mom to leave. Nicely done.

But Monroe is an awful villain. He makes no sense. He has kept Rachel/Mom prisoner and questioning her for about ten years and he is only now getting around to arresting dad/using kids as leverage? What has he been waiting for?

Charlie has been raised away from the fighting in a sheltered community. (Like Dorothy or Frodo, she doesn't have the experience to really know how bad the world has been for others) The flashback in episode 2 kind of points out that Ben is the peace keeper and Rachel might not be...So it's something Danny and Charlie are going to have to wrestle with, although I think it's clear their genuine innocence and belief in the good of others is meant to be the point of the story, rather than them falling into darkness of stark realism.

I think if you think about other Bad Robot Villains (Arvin Sloane, William Bell) Monroe does make sense, he's in denial about how nasty he is, as he uses civility (and possibly Religion) to justify his actions and not feel guilty about what he is doing. But I agree the "why" of it isn't made clear. My line of thinking at this point is the Ben helped turn off the power, because Monroe was in the process of making super weapon (death star)

Additionally some of these people we encounter are SUPER aggressive, like these dogs in this episode. The Plague Dogs and The Stand novel references all point back to a deathly virus....In Alias eventually a large scale Mueller Device was built and it caused people to behave violent and aggressively...http://alias.wikia.com/wiki/Mueller_device

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:56 pm

My line of thinking at this point is the Ben helped turn off the power, because Monroe was in the process of making super weapon (death star)

I think you're on to something with the idea that Ben helped turn off he power to thwart some larger evil. But for now I can't get on board with Monroe being part of that evil from the jump. At the time, Monroe was only a sergeant based at Parris Island (where the Marine Corps trains recruits), and none of the security guys recognized him. Doesn't sound like someone who is part of a high-level super-weapons program. Nor is that a location where I would house such a program, it is such a busy place and so well known in American culture. Also, in the FB Monroe was the less brutal character, he seemed genuinely shocked at Miles killing the bad guys.

So my gut feeling right now is Monroe was a normal guy who evolved into the big bad. And Miles helped create him. How these two changed could be a very interesting story if the writers can get it together.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:28 pm

supermodel wrote:
My line of thinking at this point is the Ben helped turn off the power, because Monroe was in the process of making super weapon (death star)

I think you're on to something with the idea that Ben helped turn off he power to thwart some larger evil. But for now I can't get on board with Monroe being part of that evil from the jump. At the time, Monroe was only a sergeant based at Parris Island (where the Marine Corps trains recruits), and none of the security guys recognized him. Doesn't sound like someone who is part of a high-level super-weapons program. Nor is that a location where I would house such a program, it is such a busy place and so well known in American culture. Also, in the FB Monroe was the less brutal character, he seemed genuinely shocked at Miles killing the bad guys.

So my gut feeling right now is Monroe was a normal guy who evolved into the big bad. And Miles helped create him. How these two changed could be a very interesting story if the writers can get it together.

The security guys didn't recognize Bass, but they did recognize the Monroe logo...so it could be that Bass has family too and that we may be working our way up to bigger fish, a brother or father perhaps???

I actually feel the opposite I think Monroe was always leaning towards bad, but Miles didn't know it, as all of the Militia presented thus far, especially Neville (see his relationship with Danny) and Bass, go out of their way to be nice in order to get what they want, before they fully expose their brutal personas and take "No Quarter"...I think Miles is ashamed because he didn't know he was with a monster, or involved in a family of them. Bass may have some issues, because seemingly Miles might be like a brother to him, but I think he has yet to prove himself a truly compassionate being on the side of good...

IMO Monroe in the FB stood and did nothing, he let people rip themselves apart...It shows he isn't very emotional, sentimental, or cares for human life, and/or he already knows why this is happening...As I think Jeremy might be someone we didn't want to save. These militia members pray on the goodness of others as a means to get what they want, and then when their done, or forced into a corner their real teeth come out.

Miles tried to explain that he didn't know how the violence could turn so quickly and deadly so fast and Bass avoided discussing it...In The Plague Dogs, two dogs are experimented on and thought to have been give the Bubonic plague, as they contiguously get chased down, after their escape in the novel. That's why thinking back to Alias some of this aggression might be coming from a bio-chemical weapon.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

The security guys didn't recognize Bass, but they did recognize the Monroe logo
I thought they recognized it just because it's an idiotic tattoo. I hadn't considered that he might already be involved in a society/family of evildoers. But I like the idea of a bigger fish. IMHO so far Sebastian is fairly one-dimensional and uninteresting, so I wouldn't mind casting him aside for a character higher up the ladder.

Bass may have some issues, because seemingly Miles might be like a brother to him, but I think he has yet to prove himself a truly compassionate being on the side of good...
I'm not sure which one you're talking about, but I think we agree that neither of them is truly compassionate or good. But for now I think that Miles was the more violent/authoritarian and he had a great influence on Monroe. Now, for some as-yet-unknown reason, Miles has changed his ways and has to take responsibility for creating a monster. That's a central tension for this character.

As for The Plague Dogs, I read it when I was in maybe the 8th grade, it is so dark and sad. As I recall it has very little to do with the plague or epidemic or anything like that, it's really about the cruelty and pain that men have inflicted on these poor animals just for their own gain. And how the dogs react, one has zero faith or trust in mankind and the other is more hopeful but then again he is severely brain damaged thanks to humans. Where the plague comes in is when an irresponsible reporter totally makes it up and whips up a lot of fear and anger against the dogs.

And so I think that the title was more metaphoric, implying the cruelty and pain that men will inflict on each other to get what they want. Which really wasn't the message of this episode, but I guess it is a possible (but not yet well articulated) message of this show. Although I'm not getting a lot of subtext from this show so maybe it was just a more literal reference to the dogs in this episode?
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby Devil's Arcade on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:58 pm

It has been improving episode to episode, but still pretty poor. Certainly better than the almost un-watchable pilot.
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:42 pm

supermodel wrote:
The security guys didn't recognize Bass, but they did recognize the Monroe logo
I thought they recognized it just because it's an idiotic tattoo. I hadn't considered that he might already be involved in a society/family of evildoers. But I like the idea of a bigger fish. IMHO so far Sebastian is fairly one-dimensional and uninteresting, so I wouldn't mind casting him aside for a character higher up the ladder.

Bass may have some issues, because seemingly Miles might be like a brother to him, but I think he has yet to prove himself a truly compassionate being on the side of good...
I'm not sure which one you're talking about, but I think we agree that neither of them is truly compassionate or good. But for now I think that Miles was the more violent/authoritarian and he had a great influence on Monroe. Now, for some as-yet-unknown reason, Miles has changed his ways and has to take responsibility for creating a monster. That's a central tension for this character.

As for The Plague Dogs, I read it when I was in maybe the 8th grade, it is so dark and sad. As I recall it has very little to do with the plague or epidemic or anything like that, it's really about the cruelty and pain that men have inflicted on these poor animals just for their own gain. And how the dogs react, one has zero faith or trust in mankind and the other is more hopeful but then again he is severely brain damaged thanks to humans. Where the plague comes in is when an irresponsible reporter totally makes it up and whips up a lot of fear and anger against the dogs.

And so I think that the title was more metaphoric, implying the cruelty and pain that men will inflict on each other to get what they want. Which really wasn't the message of this episode, but I guess it is a possible (but not yet well articulated) message of this show. Although I'm not getting a lot of subtext from this show so maybe it was just a more literal reference to the dogs in this episode?

Ya, thematically I do think it plays to bigger arc of exploring humanities choice to be cruel (fear of the unkown = control = divide and conquer/process of elimination) :thumbup: , but because The Stand was referenced twice too, I think the idea of a bio-chemical weapon is something more immediately being hinted at plot-wise, since both those novels use that as a plot device.

I agree it feels like there's a lot of subtext, but yet also things that seem literally ironic...

Also in Plague Dogs episode the militia guy chasing after Charlie that Miles beats up, his ration sack gets thrown down, and a metal can featuring the Monroe Republic Logo rolls out...So either they were manufactures before the black out, or they still have electricity too in order to be manufacturing them (very Dharma-esque) It looked like a modern day soda can silver with the black encircled "M" on it.... :hmm:
I also thought it was interesting how quickly the steam boats were eliminated....

Anyways my Recap article is done too O.o
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/10/revolu ... -dogs.html

I thought I read somewhere that someone noticed Bass had "ice", but I don't recall it myself...so I may have to rewatch episodes 2 and 3 again and see if I missed that....

What I meant about Bass is that I think he is a little conflicted in his allegences, as the Mathesons, with the exception of Ben, have been the only characters not yet abide to the Monroe no quarter policies...but there's a moral question if torturing them is any better, or if he won't just be rid off them when he gets what he wants, I think is up for debate...

Devil's Arcade wrote:It has been improving episode to episode, but still pretty poor. Certainly better than the almost un-watchable pilot.

I agree It's getting much better, but for me, it's episode 2 that I don't care much for.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Yes it's getting better and they got a 22-episode pickup so they are giving it time to improve. That doesn't mean it can't get canceled, all 22 episodes haven't been shot so they could cancel any time, but at least that threat is not imminent.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby Sym on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:40 am

And already at risk cancellation? :scared: :scared: :S :S
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Sym wrote:And already at risk cancellation? :scared: :scared: :S :S

No. Right now it's fine :) ...For NBC's former show in it's time slot, it's greatly an improvement for them which is why we were able to get a full season order...(I think it's averaging @ 9.5 mill)

Supermodel is just saying that even though they ordered it, "IF" suddenly it would take a nose dive, they could still cancel it before the 22 episode.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Sym on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:19 pm

DarthLocke wrote:
Sym wrote:And already at risk cancellation? :scared: :scared: :S :S

No. Right now it's fine :) ...For NBC's former show in it's time slot, it's greatly an improvement for them which is why we were able to get a full season order...(I think it's averaging @ 9.5 mill)

Supermodel is just saying that even though they ordered it, "IF" suddenly it would take a nose dive, they could still cancel it before the 22 episode.

Hoo thanks!
For a moment I was worried ^ _ ^

The last episode aired, and managed to get the curiosity necessary to continue watching!
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Postby supermodel on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:58 pm

Darth is correct, I was just saying that until you are actually renewed for next year, you never know what could happen. Sometimes if a show really tanks, they will pull it and burn off the remaining episodes over the summer. But for last-place NBC this show is doing pretty well right now.

Any thoughts on Maggie's death? She's a curious character, she was kind of useless and not well developed, and then she suddenly got all the development in one episode and was immediately killed off. ANd it was purely as a device to get Charlie to say "everyone leaves me" and guilt Miles into staying. THe whole thing felt awkward to me.

Also I don't think anyone will miss her because we didn't have time to get to know the character and care about her. And what are these people going to do now without a doctor? The key to surviving on a post-apocalypse TV show is to have a doctor in your group (Lost, Jericho, Falling Skies, etc.) Or in the case of TWD, at least get yourselves a vet.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:22 am

supermodel wrote:Darth is correct, I was just saying that until you are actually renewed for next year, you never know what could happen. Sometimes if a show really tanks, they will pull it and burn off the remaining episodes over the summer. But for last-place NBC this show is doing pretty well right now.

Any thoughts on Maggie's death? She's a curious character, she was kind of useless and not well developed, and then she suddenly got all the development in one episode and was immediately killed off. ANd it was purely as a device to get Charlie to say "everyone leaves me" and guilt Miles into staying. THe whole thing felt awkward to me.

Also I don't think anyone will miss her because we didn't have time to get to know the character and care about her. And what are these people going to do now without a doctor? The key to surviving on a post-apocalypse TV show is to have a doctor in your group (Lost, Jericho, Falling Skies, etc.) Or in the case of TWD, at least get yourselves a vet.

Collective stuff from recaps about Maggie:

1x03
Next week we are told a character will be killed! At first I thought it would most likely be Maggie since shortly after Andrea Roth was replaced by Elisabeth Mitchell, Ana Lisa Phillips fell from series regular to reoccurring and said to be written out of the show early in the season. But with fan reception being so good towards her, and that really being written out, might not necessarily have to mean dead, I have reconsidered...

I also know that Maria Howell was cast in the sequel to The Hunger Games. Additionally we had an early casting call for Grace’s son and this episode with a photograph also alludes that she also had a daughter, but the young age of the actor cast to play her son might suggest a flashback featuring Grace and that “The Plague Dog’s” could be her departure episode.

Additionally "Heard Through the Grapevine" could be interpreted a foreshadowing that someone is leaving, as it plays on Grace's Cd player, but it's in a moment between Aaron and Maggie...

However, going back Maggie’s possible Naomi Dorrit juxtaposition through British character who carry ‘satellite’ phones, I noticed that when her phone turned on and she looked at the pictures, the time her phone said it was 6:23...23 sometimes alludes to the sacrifices of Jack Shepherd of Lost in these Bad Robot works, -another doctor character. So what do you guys think?

1x04
The general title when discussing Frank L. Baum’s turn of the 20th century series of children’s fantasy novels about Dorothy Gale leaving her small farming community of Kansas, to be swept away by tornado to another enchanting land, and was famously made into 1939 film staring Judy Garland and considered to be a classic, was heavily referenced in this episode. Maggie really became family to Charlie some time after her mother left. To Charlie, Maggie was like her Auntie Em (or Auntie “M“), but through out the episode we also see that Maggie had been like Dorothy trying to find her way home in this strange new land she discovered being stuck in America after the black out. The irony is this was the book Maggie had read to her two young boys, which she continued to carry with her on her journey, making her much like Charlie, as both carry sentimental objects and as they both had been searching for home, or really a way back to their family. Additionally the episode also featured a full fledged tornado mildly paralleling the film, as Neville and Danny take shelter in an old basement, -the kind you can get to from a side of the house.

Maggie was great in every scene, which brings to the fact that they killed off such a likable character so soon. It seems the moment Andrea Roth was replaced by Elizabeth Mitchell, Ana Lisa Philips status as a series regular quickly dropped to reoccurring and was said her character was to be written out early in the season. I feel like this was a big mistake. The character was complicated for only being in a few episodes. She had a dark underbelly, a unique sense of humor, and professional skills that would have been an asset to our team. Additionally as a character that is foreigner, has the capacity to give us an outside looking in perspective, or a bridge to widen the scope of the series at some point. So for now I feel it’s shame that she’s been killed off, although I don’t recall seeing them bury her…let alone did any of them take her pulse?
At any rate I hope her children didn't die and that we meet them later in series.

Maggie seemed to juxtaposition Lost’s Naomi Dorrit in one of the ways I thought. These two British female characters who carry and can only use their [satellite] phones in specific locations both die to brutal fatal wounds of others. The difference between them is the Naomi Dorrit was seemingly bad as she posed a military threat to the main cast and the Island itself, where Maggie so far has poses no malicious intent towards good-sided characters and was genuine in caring for others. But another Juxtaposition also comes with a contrast to Jack Sheppherd, as both characters are doctors, and both don’t die alone, but rather the use of dogs in relation to their deaths is opposite, as Jack dies with Lost’s beloved Vincent, and Maggie dies at the expense of killing one of an angry man’s aggressive dogs, but both character’s play a role, although Jack’s is secondary, in terms of help saving people named Aaron, who are both thought to be special. The number 23 appeared on Maggie’s phone when it momentarily turned on, another sign that her character might be in a near death or actual death situation, as this was Jack’s candidate number.

SPOILER ABOUT A NEW CHARACTER
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Episode 6 we are introduced to Dr. Vital...I really like that name :) )

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:00 pm

I have conflicting emotions about 1x05. There were scenes that I thought looked really beautiful, exchanges I liked between characters, but the plot and execution, and repetitive conversations and situations between the same characters are wearing me thin, as I don't really feel the plot progressing, nor do I like this throwing of bread crumbs in terms of how the mythology has been given to us. There is something about it at times that feels generic and I really think it's because we are not really going anywhere fast.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shows Discussion [No spoilers!]