[Official] Revolution - S1 -Discussion Thread

General discussion of television shows (non listed)

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Revolution - S1 -Discussion Thread

Postby supermodel on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Last night I came home late, only caught the last 20 minutes or so and I had no problem understanding everything that was going on. I don;t know what happened in the first half of the show but it wasn't plot development.

I think I might be done watching this show. I am getting really sick of the "where's Danny" business every week. They need to rescue him and get on with the story. Last night I had a fleeting thought of Sophia on TWD.

Also, I was very disappointed with where they took Rachel's character last night. She has been a prisoner for about ten years, presumably resisted interrogation and maybe torture, so we know she is strong and smart and clever. And then she gets one glimpse of her son and she not only gives the info, she draws a diagram?
supermodel
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby JacobsMom on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:14 am

I was really disappointed with these last two episodes. I actually liked Maggie and felt like her character added a lot to the show. IMO, she was a good actress that made her scenes enjoyable to watch. I suppose the reason for her quick demise was the fact that E.M.(the real mother) will soon be included in the main storyline as the two groups come together at last.

This last episode was definitely a mess. The whole thing with the train didn't make sense and then having the man rebel stab the woman seemed stupid. Then we have the horses racing to the train and it's like some silly Western movie! :lol: Nice to see Jeff Fahey again though!

I also had to roll my eyes at the scene between mom(E.M.) and Monroe as she "finally" gives him a drawing of the necklace at the last minute. To top it off we learn there are a total of 12 and it sounds too much like TLOTR as they all must be found to solve the mystery.

I'm not impressed with the writing so far and not sure how much longer I will keep watching.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:26 am

^^
^

I am going to keep watching just to see if will change, but for me the biggest irratent is the lack of character development, not clear, but rather contradictory themes, execution of certain plots, and extreme repetitious scenes with the same set of characters in them.

I think the exchanges in some of the scenes are great, but they just lack story progression substance to equivocate such intense emotional exchanges...

The Plague Dogs was the only episode that I thought was done right, but sadly it had to include a death of a very likable character which makes it all the more sad. :cry:

Another aspect I am not found of is bread crumming us with small mythology tad-bits at the end of the episodes. It's also hard to see E.M. to be in such helpless situation repeatedly. I guess I am just ready to move on with bigger plots, but something tells me I am going to have to wait until episode 11 to get there. It's like the show resets every episode!

I thought the train plot could have been done so much better...

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Sym on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:33 pm

I am happy to have given a second chance at this show.
He resumed.
It is very cute. :thumbup:
http://twitter.com/symsoa
I just wanted to see what's in the land across the sea.*Lost4ever*
Sons Of Anarchy is my faith
War against the world Black Sails
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:06 am

5x01 Recap/Speculation Article Posted! (There are some interesting references like T.S. Eliot, Starsky and Hutch, Dark Tower, and Harry Potter that I came across in my rewatch. Plus a little philosophy discussion)http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/10/revolution-1x05-soul-train.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Sym on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:26 am

And my impression :hmm:
or are already solving the mysteries at once?

I do not want to be revealed soon .... :thumbsdown:
so you lose interest in the series :cry: :thumbsdown:
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Sym wrote:And my impression :hmm:
or are already solving the mysteries at once?

I do not want to be revealed soon .... :thumbsdown:
so you lose interest in the series :cry: :thumbsdown:

No. I am sticking with it Sym, but I am not found that the characters are still the same characters we have started with. Even the flashbacks don't completely convey that they were very different people. Neville was fired for having compassion, suggesting he may have once had some, but the fact that he had a punching bag in his basement alludes to someone who has been itching to fight for while, as it's clear Neville is someone who felt VERY repressed.

I don't think learning about how the power went out is the biggest mystery, but rather a door to bigger things. Let alone I think the medallions could have multiple functions...(There is a part of me that thinks Aliens or alternate realities could become apart of the series. I know I'm crazy!)

In some ways the series may be saying something about humanity being able to cave into primal urges and Charlie is meant to bring people away and "fight the temptation" of that by trying to teach others to remember what really important, or if there is anything worth fighting/killing for. The medallions them selves when drawn by Rachel have like molecule/matter "dropping" in motion kind of design and are "tear" shaped ---->may play on "humanities ability to "cry" -to be able to show remorse.

The problem is the "good" characters aren't "winning". They keep screwing things up. It shows a lack in growth or something positive in their beliefs/pursuits, it's like their fighting just to loose.

Maybe after this episode things are going to change. Maybe the group will be able to become "balanced" at some point and they can become all "Robin Hood" like! -That's what I am hoping for, but so far the philosophy has shown us something that has been very counter productive. Maybe there's a reason, or maybe it's just bad writing. Only time will tell.

I don't think the show is bad, I am just waiting for the writers to launch into something that actually resembles growth and right of passage for these people. It's only the fifth episode. I can wait a little longer. :)

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Sym on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:46 am

Good thinking!
You're right! :thumbsup: :thumbup:
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Postby supermodel on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:56 am

Wow, this episode was awful, the worst yet. I'm not sure I can watch anymore.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:22 pm

I'm not sure who the writers are for this new show but once again this last episode was pretty horrible except for one single moment and that is when the computer guy faked his death and then shot the creepy, drug lord dead. :thumbup: I guess it showed us that finally this character has learned to fight in this new world but I was disappointed with his back story. I suppose it leaves it open for his wife to somehow return to him after all these years, but I felt it was done poorly since she truly loved him and he loved her so much that he left her all alone???

I even hated the scene where son and mom reunite in the darkness. Couldn't that have happened differently? At this point I don't even like most of the characters left on this show and the story lines keep getting more and more stupid each week. :thumbsdown:
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby supermodel on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:39 am

And that villain, Dexter, was ridiculous. The writing was so bad and he was so over the top, and also he had nothing to do with anything, he was just a random sadist. This week was a total waste of time.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby Sym on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:34 pm

Very nice episode and I loved it.
Rating: 8

Discordant note.
The ending.
I was expecting a different reaction types:
Who are you?
or:
"Do not touch you forsaken us." -
Sym
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:17 pm

supermodel wrote:And that villain, Dexter, was ridiculous. The writing was so bad and he was so over the top, and also he had nothing to do with anything, he was just a random sadist. This week was a total waste of time.

Ha :rofl: I haven't see it yet, but I think his name is Drexel after The University (In Philadelphia, PA -Same as headquarters of Monroe Republic), which was founded by one of the banker founders of J.P. Morgan, Anthony J. Drexel.

I suspect from the episode title that this episode plays to all things adolescent (like something dumb collage kids might do). -

Seeing by your reactions :lol: , I can't say that I am surprised, but I will get back to you when I finally watch it.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Yes, I think dumb college kids wrote it.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DharmaLager on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:27 pm

I am back and forth with this show. I'm with many who wrote before this though.

The "villain" in the last episode was awful. I don't know if it was the writing, his acting or both. I"m betting the last. I was very glad he got killed to say the least.
DharmaLager
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shows Discussion [No spoilers!]