[Official] Revolution - S1 -Discussion Thread

General discussion of television shows (non listed)

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Revolution - S1 -Discussion Thread

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:16 am

I finally saw it Thursday night...I agree that Drexel could have been done a lot better in general :lol: , but I felt Aaron and Charlie's character progressions were worth the not so interesting Drexel plot. It would be nice if they could use their story of the week plots a little more effectively, but Drex juxtapositioned Shaun enough to make it 'ok' for me. There were also some nice twisted allusions to Wizard of Oz with red poppy fields and cowardly lions. (and also there was a painting of a field of red flowers hanging behind Rachel in the Pilot = elements of fate) _and boy, Miles seemed pretty deplorable. -And I think promoting Neville is punishing him, keeping him "grounded", as I think Monroe is one to practice the mantra, keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. -I just sense a confronatation in the works, especially since Jason also tried to intervene -and Strassen freaks me out! :scared:

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby supermodel on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:22 pm

I just read that after November this show is going on hiatus until March. A lengthy mid-season hiatus is not good for any show and seems surprising for Revolution considering that it's generally considered a hit. Hardcore fans will tune in, but will casual viewers return? I'm sure I will have found something better to watch by spring.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:20 pm

supermodel wrote:I just read that after November this show is going on hiatus until March. A lengthy mid-season hiatus is not good for any show and seems surprising for Revolution considering that it's generally considered a hit. Hardcore fans will tune in, but will casual viewers return? I'm sure I will have found something better to watch by spring.

Ya I'm behind on spoilers and such, but I was surprised when I read this too. :unsure:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DharmaLager on Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:29 pm

DarthLocke wrote:
supermodel wrote:I just read that after November this show is going on hiatus until March. A lengthy mid-season hiatus is not good for any show and seems surprising for Revolution considering that it's generally considered a hit. Hardcore fans will tune in, but will casual viewers return? I'm sure I will have found something better to watch by spring.

Ya I'm behind on spoilers and such, but I was surprised when I read this too. :unsure:

This is always a bad move in my opinion. Fringe had hardcore fans - so it was able to survive it five seasons (barely) - but it's not easy - esp. in your first season.
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:04 pm

I just wanted to stop by and say I thought 1x07 The Children's Crusade was the best episode yet.
I just finished recap/speculation article if anyone is interested: http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/11/revolution-1x07-childrens-crusade.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Hmmm what is going on with my computer!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:20 am

I didn't think it was a great episode, but I wasn't giving it my full attention. This show has been so bad in the last few weeks, I've taken to just having Revolution on while I read or work online. I feel like I'm not totally wasting my time.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 am

I didn't mind the Nora/Mia storyline, in fact this might have been the first time I enjoyed the actual story better then the FB.

And then the promo: "An all-new episode of Revolution featuring the music of Led Zeppelin." UGH! I think we've officially jumped the shark.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:10 pm

supermodel wrote:I didn't mind the Nora/Mia storyline, in fact this might have been the first time I enjoyed the actual story better then the FB.

And then the promo: "An all-new episode of Revolution featuring the music of Led Zeppelin." UGH! I think we've officially jumped the shark.

I really liked the last two and feel like they're on the right track now :) . Recap/Speculation Here:http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/11/revolution-1x08-ties-that-bind.html

About Led Zeppelin: Next Week Led Zeppelin is having a "Celebration Day" with a film in theaters and re-releases of tracks/DVD concert, ect...Revolution somehow has become apart of the celebration by featuring their music, but also next weeks episode title is "Kashmir"! (It kind of plays to the show down between Bass and Miles, but also probably whatever cliffhanger episode 10 is going to leave us with for four months ...)

About Kashmir Lyrics from Wikipedia:
The lyrics were written by Plant in 1973 immediately after Led Zeppelin's 1973 US Tour, in an area he called "the waste lands" of Southern Morocco, while driving from Goulimine to Tantan in the Sahara Desert.[2][3] This was despite the fact that the song is named for Kashmir, a region in the northwestern part of the Himalayas.[9] As Plant explained to rock journalist Cameron Crowe:
The whole inspiration came from the fact that the road went on and on and on. It was a single-track road which neatly cut through the desert. Two miles to the East and West were ridges of sandrock. It basically looked like you were driving down a channel, this dilapidated road, and there was seemingly no end to it. 'Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face, stars to fill my dreams...' It's one of my favourites...that, 'All My Love' and 'In the Light' and two or three others really were the finest moments. But 'Kashmir' in particular. It was so positive, lyrically.[2]

Wasteland is the name of one of the places on the new US Map in Revolution, -and also may relate to T.S. Elliot's poem "The Waste Land" and by extension, as Stephen King based his on Elliot's poem, The Wastelands in the Dark Tower Series.

Led Zeppelin Celebration: http://www.ledzeppelin.com/celebrationday/o2_splash.html

I love Bad Robot's musical choices in General (Once Upon a Time former Lost and Felicity writers also reference Zeppelin with the dark one's "zoso" sword, as the carry on the BR traditions in their work.) And well I also just love Led Zeppelin in general :lol: and think their songs fit well into sci-fi-fantasy-adventure shows that also have spiritual elements. I mean there's no way I can listen to "Going to California" and not think about Lost, and even now the final stanza reminds me of Once upon a Time....

Also from spoilers something that happens to the characters:
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
It looks like the gang gets "drugged"...and Bad Robot again likes to use psychedelic drug-pop culture tie-ins from the 60's and 70's often! And seemingly I think Kripke might too

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Why does a legendary band like Led Zeppelin need to promote their product on a niche show on perennial last-place network NBC?

I also happen to hate Led Zeppelin and am really turned off at the idea of having to listen to their music for an hour. But I am more turned off by NBC's lame-ass marketing. The best thing they can say about this episode is that it has a soundtrack? I guess the characters and storyline are not enough to keep our attention, they had to pad it with a completely unrelated pop culture reference? It is just not the mark of good television.

Can you imagine tuning into an all-new episode of Lost featuring the music of [insert classic rock band]? No, you tuned in for the story and the music was just gravy. (Except for Michael Giacchino's score. His work on that show was amazing, I always felt his music really made some of the scenes.)
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:40 pm

supermodel wrote:Why does a legendary band like Led Zeppelin need to promote their product on a niche show on perennial last-place network NBC?

I also happen to hate Led Zeppelin and am really turned off at the idea of having to listen to their music for an hour. But I am more turned off by NBC's lame-ass marketing. The best thing they can say about this episode is that it has a soundtrack? I guess the characters and story line are not enough to keep our attention, they had to pad it with a completely unrelated pop culture reference? It is just not the mark of good television.

Can you imagine tuning into an all-new episode of Lost featuring the music of [insert classic rock band]? No, you tuned in for the story and the music was just gravy. (Except for Michael Giacchino's score. His work on that show was amazing, I always felt his music really made some of the scenes.)

Well considering how hard it is to keep any science fiction show on TV for more than a season, especially NBC, I don't blame their marketing idea, but I still think Abrams and Kripke might have pushed for it, because they both love to reference pop culture in general and apply it to their works. IMO that is definitely a staple note of Abrams and something I personally like, because it brings fans of those works together and adds deeper level to the show through those connections, because it's the little things (like books, music, tv shows, clothes, ect) any one person likes that makes any one of us "unique". It plays to the empirical aspect to "identity" presented in theses works.

I kind understand though how referencing something, like music, that someone doesn't like could turn them off.
However Led Zeppelin does have a lot of fans new and old a like - it is a music that has survived generational gaps, which is another reason why it is a good choice in relation to Revolution's philosophy. Even though Giaccino isn't doing Revolution's score, I hear "Lost" music in it time to time, and it's sound is growing on me, as I feel they are placing it better in the episodes.

Even BSG I loved McCreary's version of "All along the watch Tower", because in the late 60's and 70's music got really anthropological /philosophical and/or poetic in writing about humanity in a way that is timeless from looking to the past and bringing us into present. It's something that is missing from a lot of popular music today.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:17 pm

That's a good point, it is hard to keep sci fi on the air. And now that I think about it is this any worse than Fringe's overt product placement? Every FBI agent drives a Ford and uses a Sprint phone.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:55 am

Here's a interview with Kripke and Abrams about The Led Zeppelin Celebration...

In anticipation of this week's episode of NBC's Revolution, the show's producers, J.J. Abrams and Eric Kripke, sat down to talk about using the music of Led Zeppelin in their post-apocalyptic drama.

"You have no idea what a big Zeppelin fan I am," Kripke, the show's creator, says.

"When Eric pitched the show, he was like, 'I just want to do a show that has Led Zeppelin music in it.' That was basically his pitch," Abrams adds. "That was it, and we're like, we're in."

The November 19th episode will feature two Led Zeppelin tracks, "Kashmir" and "Since I've Been Loving You." The episode's showcasing of Led Zeppelin's music is set to coincide with the release date of the live album/DVD Celebration Day, which documents the band's 2007 reunion show at London's 02 Arena.

"Zeppelin's got such an epic quality to it that I think matches the tone of the show," Kripke says. "Kashmir is actually the one that really kicks ass in the episode. Because it's part of this very intense moment with Miles when he goes face to face with Monroe. Huge epic music, huge epic scene."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/videos/j-j-abrams-and-eric-kripke-on-led-zeppelin-and-revolution-20121117

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DharmaLager on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:53 am

All I can say is I was born and raised a Led head of sorts (also a huge Who fan) - so I have no issue with this at all.
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:57 pm

:rockon:
DharmaLager wrote:All I can say is I was born and raised a Led head of sorts (also a huge Who fan) - so I have no issue with this at all.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shows Discussion [No spoilers!]