What Are You Currently Reading?

A section for modern day Shakespeares and casual readers alike.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Postby Finli Otego on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:58 pm

Finished A Dance With Dragons.

*sigh* What a disappointing book. I certainly liked parts of it quite a bit, and I love the series as a whole, but each book should feel like a complete story in itself. This doesn't. At all. Spinning wheels and treading water, maybe moving slightly forward but really getting nowhere for 1000 pages. There is no real climax. There is no arc or resolution of any kind. It reads like the middle section of a larger novel, which I guess is what it is...but that isn't how I like books that are part of a larger series to read. I want one complete, cohesive story that is in essence part of a larger one. That is how the first 3 ASOIAF novels worked, but Martin is losing sight of that, which I think is unfortunate.

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Joshua on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 pm

Finli Otego wrote:Finished A Dance With Dragons.

*sigh* What a disappointing book. I certainly liked parts of it quite a bit, and I love the series as a whole, but each book should feel like a complete story in itself. This doesn't. At all. Spinning wheels and treading water, maybe moving slightly forward but really getting nowhere for 1000 pages. There is no real climax. There is no arc or resolution of any kind. It reads like the middle section of a larger novel, which I guess is what it is...but that isn't how I like books that are part of a larger series to read. I want one complete, cohesive story that is in essence part of a larger one. That is how the first 3 ASOIAF novels worked, but Martin is losing sight of that, which I think is unfortunate.

Uh oh!

I finally finished A Storm of Swords today which was excellent! Will be starting A Feast For Crows next.
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby Bella on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:00 pm

I'm reading The Marriage Plot (by Jeffrey Eugenides) and The Eye of the Dragon (by Stephen King).

Oh, and hi forum. :thumbup:

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby supermodel on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 am

Working my way through The Walking Dead, also planning to reread The Hobbit this weekend to get myself psyched for the film.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:24 pm

I finally finished Dexter in the Dark. It wasnt as good in the beginning, but it picked up later on. So now its time for Dexter by Design.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:09 pm

I bought The Wind Through the Keyhole ebook version back in the summer and started it, but I just can't get into reading books that aren't actually books. So, I checked the hardback version of it out at the library the other day and will be starting it this week.
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:58 pm

Just finished Dexter by Design. Its much better than the previous one. The next Dexter book is on its way.

Now I finished The Divine Invasion, its not one of Philip K Dick''s best books. The story is uneven, the characters flat and the main character is a pathetic douche.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:55 am

I'm trying to read "Her Fearful Symmetry" by Audrey Niffenegger for the fourth time! :lol: I have yet to get passed page 50, but I am on page 45. Here's to hoping I can finally get into it! :whistle: Has anyone else read this?

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:08 pm

DarthLocke wrote:I'm trying to read "Her Fearful Symmetry" by Audrey Niffenegger for the fourth time! :lol: I have yet to get passed page 50, but I am on page 45. Here's to hoping I can finally get into it! :whistle: Has anyone else read this?

I never had the urge to read it.

I just finished Double Dexter. Too much inner monologue, too much Rita and not enough Deborah.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Heiots on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:09 am

The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World.

:|
:flowers: Caution: All Juliet related :flowers:
My Fanfiction My YT Videos My Art
Heiots
Star Billing

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:53 pm

Heiots wrote:The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World.

:|

Sounds like a book I should of read! :)

So it's been a while since this thread was active. So what have you guys been reading? Anything in the past couple of years that has stuck out to you?

I read the first five Song of Ice and Fire Novels between seasons of Game of Thrones. And I have to keep going back over them to process it all, while also taking in the show! I also read the Dunk and Egg Novels, which I actually liked more (The first only published three tales are finally going to be republished together in a single hardback next month)

Other than that I found a novelist/Cambridge Professor Rebecca Stott who publishes both fiction and non fiction. Darwin's Ghosts (which chronicles other philosophers and natural scientist types that may have contributed something to the idea of "natural selection") and The Coral Theif is set post French Revolution and is a crime drama/heist/romance historical fiction novel that is also very heavy on Rousseau French Enlightenist philosophy!

Doug Dourst and JJ Abrams S./Ship of Thesis was also spectacular Meta-fiction novel--very up my alley with mereological essencentrism ideas in relation to identity...

And Stephen King's Doctor Sleep and David Mitchell's (my favorite newer author) The Bone Clocks were also good reads.

And I have a bunch of stuff that I haven't gotten to yet like Armada, The Fold, Lair of the White Worm, Mr. Mercedes/Finders Keepers, All The Light We Can Not See, Prince Lestat, The Orphan Train, Dandelion Wine, and upcoming Slade House! :P

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Broyles on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:13 am

I just finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. Good read. They made it I nto the new Charlize Theron film coming out soon. I also read Gone Girl by Flynn which is really good. It's interesting seeing how David Fincher translated that into the film with Ben Affleck. It's written as a series of diary entries from the missing wife's journal before she disappeared. And then each chapter is juxtaposed with the odd behavior of the murder suspect her husband and how he reacts to her disapperance. The film really expressed this well with flashbacks and voiceovers of how the realtionship went bad.

Here's hoping Dark Places is as good a film as Gone Girl was. I'm also excited to see the new series Utopia, written by Flynn and directed by David Fincher. But I guess it's a no go now.
Broyles
Stunt Double

Postby dutchie on Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:47 am

I read all 3 of her books.
I didnt like the ending of Dark Places, I was like, suuuuuuurrreeeeee.
But I like her gritty writing.
I liked the film of Dark Places, not as good as Gone Girl, but that mostly has to do with the story itself. Also
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
they made Ben too innocent.

The only problem I had with the movie version of Gone Girl,
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
is that both were not twisted enough.

Im still annoyed the original Utopia got cancelled.

Right now Im reading Mind Hunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker.

I read a lot of books this year. Me and my friends did a reading challenge(read 52 books in year). I finished my challenge after 6 months. Reading can be addictive.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Broyles on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:15 pm

Yeah, the Dark Places ending I actually thought might be better in a film since films based on books tend to make small changes to build a bigger twist or better reveal. I'm with you about Flynn's gritty writing though. She's very good.

dutchie wrote:I read a lot of books this year. Me and my friends did a reading challenge(read 52 books in year). I finished my challenge after 6 months. Reading can be addictive.

My god, woman! 52 books in 6 months!!!! What!?! You're not a robot by chance, are you? Or perhaps have eidetic memory to just quickly scan pages in a matter of seconds? That's 2 books a week!? Wow. I believe that's the same rate at which computer data storage mainframes are being encoded with information. Let me check... yup, roughly 2 books a week. Wow, that's amazing. You must've constantly had a book in your hand. Or maybe you're just an exceptionally fast reader? I like to read about 1 hour a night before bed to help me relax. I finish a book in about 3 weeks that way, and that's in addition to reading articles in magazines and online all the time.

Considering how much you read, it must be fun in terms of the imagination process of the world being described in the pages. That's so many books you read having so many characters and places to imagine. I know it's that way for me; imagining what the characters look like and the world they exist in. Every time I start a fictional narrative I always start off by getting an actors face in mind as what this character looks like.
Broyles
Stunt Double

Postby Lockes disciple on Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:42 am

I'm reading "Sole Survivor" by Dean Koontz. It's a great story of grief, loss, and psychological powers. The main character is a father whose wife and children die in a domestic flight plane accident. As he is grieving his loss, he discovers a conspiracy involving the intentional crashing of the flight by a secret government agency to protect the secrets of the supernatural powers of their people. He also finds evidence that his daughter might have survived and goes on a hunt to find her. The man searches for answers and explores his feelings of loss and anger at how accidents rip away the people of our lives, as well as this conspiracy of a secret government agency to hide their knowledge of people with supernatural powers.

It's very good. Should be made into a movie.

P.S. Holy sh*t, dutchie. 52 books in 6 months!?! That's not human. I agree with Broyles. You're a robot. Lol.

Lockes disciple
Star Billing

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Comics