Books that disappointed you?

A section for modern day Shakespeares and casual readers alike.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Books that disappointed you?

Postby Jeepy on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:56 pm

So what books have been a real aching disappointment to you?

Mine are
The picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - I had this book on my bookshelf for close to 15 years, much like Desmond and Our Mutual Friend and i was certain I was gonna love it; I 've enjoyed everything else of Wilde's that i've read, I loved the premise, I admired and fancied the lecturer who I was going to discuss it with, my dad loved it, it is from an era and a genre that I love... but I found it entirely underwhelming.

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Someone - Everyone I know who has read this book raved about it and said it was amazing, it's a bestseller, critics dig it. I thought I would love it ... I liked it at first but after a while I realised I didn't care about the characters and so I gave up on it.
Jeepy
Emmy Nominee

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Books that disappointed you?

Postby DharmaFlashes08 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:24 am

Thankfully, most books I read I enjoy in the end, but I felt like Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies were fairly dissapointing. I didn't really get into them and they were worded so strangely, just not my kind of reading.
DharmaFlashes08
Show Expert

Postby Joshua on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:44 am

The Da Vinci Code

I thoroughly enjoyed Angels & Demons, but found DVC absolute rubbish. Not to mention all the hype surrounding it :thumbsdown:

I'll have a think of some others...
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby Bonky on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:53 pm

There are two novels I've actually resented reading: Wuthering Heights (which I thought was preposterous, melodramatic chick-lit) and Moby-Dick (which I found erratic and overly factual, to a point far beyond tedium).
Bonky
Supporting Actor

Postby PandaVamp on Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:19 pm

Like movies, most books I've read have rarely disappointed me, or at least, I always finish them... yes, most of the time.

The Da Vinci code, on the other hand, started great and slowly disappointed me to the point I had to stop reading. ¬¬ My book has 557 pages, I stopped at page 487... I don't know what took me so long, believe me.

PenguinJosh wrote:The Da Vinci Code

I thoroughly enjoyed Angels & Demons, but found DVC absolute rubbish. Not to mention all the hype surrounding it :thumbsdown:

Well, I tell you I had the "brilliant" idea to go and watch The Da Vinci Code movie... (what was I thinking?). Still, like I'm a stubborn animal, I also went to watch Angels & Demons and was nicely surprised. Maybe the book is good as well. Still, have a long list of books I would read before that one.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby Ciubia on Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:02 pm

Like Bonky, the most disappointing book I've read was Wuthering Heights, I admit I was a bit clueless about most of what was going on in that book!

Another book I didn't like, and I'm yet to discover what possessed me to buy it, is Shopie's World by Jostein Gaarder, very strange book!
ImageImage
Ciubia
Emmy Nominee

Postby Joshua on Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Wicked by Gregory Macguire disappointed me.

I loooooooooove Wicked the musical (see sig rofl) but the book was so tedious I didn't even finish it. And its rare that I dont finish a book.

@Ana I didnt get to see A&D, no big loss Im sure
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby dutchie on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:54 pm

Macbeth by Shakespeare.
I have read some terrible books for school(dutch literature), but they were not disapointing because I didnt expect much from them.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby popalula on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:02 pm

PenguinJosh wrote:The Da Vinci Code

I agree with you about The Da Vinci Code, it was absolute tosh and I didn't rate Angels and Demons either :thumbsdown:

Thank you PandaVamp x
popalula
Supporting Actor

Postby dutchie on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:10 pm

There is another book that disappointed me, The Kabbalist by Geert Kimpen. It started out great but the last third of the book was rushed, I dont like that.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby LittleTiger on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:11 pm

Pet Sematary by Stephen King. The very first book of his that I felt was just totally rushed at the end and left me very disappointed.

Some book by Clive Barker that didn't want to be read...I kid you not. The whole damn thing was the book telling you not to read it. Can't even remember the title and it is not listed. I read it.
LittleTiger
Stunt Double

Postby Bella on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:08 pm

DharmaJeep wrote:The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Someone - Everyone I know who has read this book raved about it and said it was amazing, it's a bestseller, critics dig it. I thought I would love it ... I liked it at first but after a while I realised I didn't care about the characters and so I gave up on it.

Bummer, because TTTW is one of my favorite books of all-time. I read it a few years ago, way back before the movie was in the works.

I think the book I was most disappointed by, at least as of late, was A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. The book won the Pulitzer, and was critically-acclaimed everywhere -- but I found the main character to be so utterly loathsome and repugnant that I simply couldn't move forward after the first two chapters or so. I honestly have no idea how anyone got through this book.

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby The Strog on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:18 pm

Bella wrote:Bummer, because TTTW is one of my favorite books of all-time. I read it a few years ago, way back before the movie was in the works.

Actually, I was thinking about putting TTTW on my reading list. Mostly because (and this is going to sound like a stupid reason) there's a DW episode that's similar to it called The Girl in the Fireplace, which was a good episode.

I haven't, though, for two reasons: 1) I'm dreading that it will be sickeningly romantic as opposed to smartly romantic, and 2) I'm dreading that it will be poorly written.
If you don't like Doctor Who, click here. If you love Doctor Who, click here. After you've clicked one of those, come here.

Tune in for PSYCH
RETURNING THIS SUMMER ON USA NETWORK
The Strog
Former Staff Member

Postby Jamielost on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:18 am

The Strog wrote:
Bella wrote:Bummer, because TTTW is one of my favorite books of all-time. I read it a few years ago, way back before the movie was in the works.

Actually, I was thinking about putting TTTW on my reading list. Mostly because (and this is going to sound like a stupid reason) there's a DW episode that's similar to it called The Girl in the Fireplace, which was a good episode.

I tried to think of something witty to reply to this, but I think just quoting it will suffice. That is some interesting reasoning there ;)

I read The Shack by William P. Young a few weeks ago. I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Although I can't say it disappointed me as I wasn't expecting much in the first place. I don't even know why I read it.

:D
I ship Jangy! :wub:
Jamielost
Star Billing

Postby Bella on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:48 am

The Strog wrote:

I haven't, though, for two reasons: 1) I'm dreading that it will be sickeningly romantic as opposed to smartly romantic, and 2) I'm dreading that it will be poorly written.

It's beautifully written, actually. Come on, aside from Twilight, you know me and what I like. Would I consider it amongst my favorites if it was poorly-written?

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
Bella
Senior Moderator

Next

Return to Books & Comics