Books that disappointed you?

A section for modern day Shakespeares and casual readers alike.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: Books that disappointed you?

Postby The Strog on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:57 am

It's beautifully written, actually. Come on, aside from Twilight, you know me and what I like. Would I consider it amongst my favorites if it was poorly-written?

Twilight is too big a gaffe to overlook. Your record is forever tarnished.
If you don't like Doctor Who, click here. If you love Doctor Who, click here. After you've clicked one of those, come here.

Tune in for PSYCH
RETURNING THIS SUMMER ON USA NETWORK
The Strog
Former Staff Member

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Bella on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:11 am

The Strog wrote:
It's beautifully written, actually. Come on, aside from Twilight, you know me and what I like. Would I consider it amongst my favorites if it was poorly-written?

Twilight is too big a gaffe to overlook. Your record is forever tarnished.

:cry: Stroggy, say it ain't so...

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby Finli Otego on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:11 am

I'm pretty easy to please, so there isn't much that has disappointed me. I'm the same way with movies. I like damn near everything. :lol:

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby Bella on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:15 am

Finli Otego wrote:I'm pretty easy to please, so there isn't much that has disappointed me. I'm the same way with movies. I like damn near everything. :lol:

Jimmy Fallon disappoints you. :thumbup:

Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby Finli Otego on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:16 am

Bella wrote:
Finli Otego wrote:I'm pretty easy to please, so there isn't much that has disappointed me. I'm the same way with movies. I like damn near everything. :lol:

:cursing: Don't even get me started. Stupid, stupid man.

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby Bella on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:18 am

Finli Otego wrote:
Bella wrote:

:cursing: Don't even get me started. Stupid, stupid man.

Agreed!! :thumbsdown:

Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:34 pm

Bella wrote:
DharmaJeep wrote:The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Someone - Everyone I know who has read this book raved about it and said it was amazing, it's a bestseller, critics dig it. I thought I would love it ... I liked it at first but after a while I realised I didn't care about the characters and so I gave up on it.

Bummer, because TTTW is one of my favorite books of all-time. I read it a few years ago, way back before the movie was in the works.

I think the book I was most disappointed by, at least as of late, was A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. The book won the Pulitzer, and was critically-acclaimed everywhere -- but I found the main character to be so utterly loathsome and repugnant that I simply couldn't move forward after the first two chapters or so. I honestly have no idea how anyone got through this book.

Me too! I really liked TTTW -I loved the narritive and the premis of how hard a relationship like that would be...

I also love (as horribly nuts as it is) Wuthering Heights and thought the Da Vinchi Code was alright, although I agree Angels and Demons was better.

Somthing that disappointed me was Daphne du Maurier's "Rebecca" ...I love the film to no end, but I didn't like premise of knowing the aftermath that the novel seems to go to great lengths to over discribe.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Dogma9 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:08 am

Lisey's Story

Being a Steven King story I thought id be mostly horror.

Which ....it wasnt. More ......I dont know of a relationship/love story type thing.

The only really intresting part was

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Learning that Scott Landon's family had a history of mental illness that ither made them go feral(in the case of his brother), or make them canotonic.

I thought the start of the story dragged and the end was....alright. Really strange though.

I thought he should have made the Landon family history part a novel all on its own.......and left the rest of the story(mostly about the widow) out.
thanks to XTS

:haha: :thumbup: :thumbsup: :rockon: :w00t: :taz: :batman: :taz: :gunsmile: :tank: :guns: :music: :boat:
Dogma9
Emmy Nominee

Postby Iceman on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:11 am

Lord of the Ri- :yawn:

Sorry, I fell asleep typing that.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Dogma9 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:12 am

Iceman815 wrote:Lord of the Ri- :yawn:

Sorry, I fell asleep typing that.

Thannnkkk you :thumbup:

The movies are epic....

but the books....Wow...he draggs on and on talking about such random stuff somtimes.....Its like, get back to describing the battles for god sakes :rofl:
thanks to XTS

:haha: :thumbup: :thumbsup: :rockon: :w00t: :taz: :batman: :taz: :gunsmile: :tank: :guns: :music: :boat:
Dogma9
Emmy Nominee

Postby Iceman on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:14 am

The movies suck too :PP
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Dogma9 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Iceman815 wrote:The movies suck too :PP

:censored: :ban: :haha:
thanks to XTS

Dogma9
Emmy Nominee

Postby Bella on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:23 am

DarthLocke wrote:
Bella wrote:
DharmaJeep wrote:The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Someone - Everyone I know who has read this book raved about it and said it was amazing, it's a bestseller, critics dig it. I thought I would love it ... I liked it at first but after a while I realised I didn't care about the characters and so I gave up on it.

Bummer, because TTTW is one of my favorite books of all-time. I read it a few years ago, way back before the movie was in the works.

I think the book I was most disappointed by, at least as of late, was A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. The book won the Pulitzer, and was critically-acclaimed everywhere -- but I found the main character to be so utterly loathsome and repugnant that I simply couldn't move forward after the first two chapters or so. I honestly have no idea how anyone got through this book.

Me too! I really liked TTTW -I loved the narritive and the premis of how hard a relationship like that would be...

I also love (as horribly nuts as it is) Wuthering Heights and thought the Da Vinchi Code was alright, although I agree Angels and Demons was better.

Somthing that disappointed me was Daphne du Maurier's "Rebecca" ...I love the film to no end, but I didn't like premise of knowing the aftermath that the novel seems to go to great lengths to over discribe.

Oooh, I wanted to read that.

Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby kristy815 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:38 am

It is well written. . .but I didn't finish it either. I didn't care for the non-linear storytelling. I felt like I already knew how it ended so I just quit reading the first time the plot got a little slow.
So, who is this Mr. Bench anyway?
kristy815
Star Billing

Postby Bella on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:44 am

kristy815 wrote:

It is well written. . .but I didn't finish it either. I didn't care for the non-linear storytelling. I felt like I already knew how it ended so I just quit reading the first time the plot got a little slow.

It's non-linear, indeed, but so is LOST (in very much the same way)! I absolutely adore this book.

Bella
Senior Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Comics