E-book reader recommendations

A section for modern day Shakespeares and casual readers alike.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

E-book reader recommendations

Postby Joshua on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:19 pm

Hello :)

I'm looking into getting an E-book reader for my birthday and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ones to avoid?

Also, how do you feel about e-books? As easy to read as normal books, or do you prefer normal books? I hear e-books are cheaper, but is that so?

~ Joshua
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: E-book reader recommendations

Postby DarkUFO on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:28 pm

I think the Kindle still rules the roost

http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/lifehacker/f ... zon-kindle
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby Joshua on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:45 pm

Thanks for that, Andy. I'm thinking I might be getting one for my birthday :D
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby Joshua on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:12 am

Typically they announce a cheaper Kindle Touch and the Kindle Fire two days after mine arrives :glare:
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby constancewainwright on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:17 pm

Same thing here!
I just got a kindle from a groupon deal, well. waiting for it to be delivered (which apparantly takes aaages)
Whilst hunting online for free ebooks, loads of people have been saying it's better to get anything BUT a kindle, because then you're not limited to amazon!? Not sure how much this will bug me as I'm not exactly an expert in the world of e-books/readers.

But still. sods law i suppose :S
constancewainwright
Viewer

Postby Dreyesbo on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Joshua wrote:Typically they announce a cheaper Kindle Touch and the Kindle Fire two days after mine arrives :glare:

Don't worry -- the Kindle Fire is a tablet, so no eInk, so it isn't exactly ideal for reading. And the Kindle Touch, well...it's cool and cheaper. But it's also smaller, and the cheaper ($99 dollars) has ads in it. Must be annoying to have ads in a product you already purchased it. The Kindle Touch without ads is still $140, around what you (and I a couple weeks ago) paid, so it isn't that big of a difference.

Whilst hunting online for free ebooks, loads of people have been saying it's better to get anything BUT a kindle, because then you're not limited to amazon!? Not sure how much this will bug me as I'm not exactly an expert in the world of e-books/readers.

To be honest, yes you are "restricted" to Amazon. But it isn't really restricted at all, as Amazon is the vendor with the largest number of books available. So don't worry, Kindle's fine :)
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:21 pm

Dreyesbo wrote:
Joshua wrote:Typically they announce a cheaper Kindle Touch and the Kindle Fire two days after mine arrives :glare:

Don't worry -- the Kindle Fire is a tablet, so no eInk, so it isn't exactly ideal for reading. And the Kindle Touch, well...it's cool and cheaper. But it's also smaller, and the cheaper ($99 dollars) has ads in it. Must be annoying to have ads in a product you already purchased it. The Kindle Touch without ads is still $140, around what you (and I a couple weeks ago) paid, so it isn't that big of a difference.

To be honest, yes you are "restricted" to Amazon. But it isn't really restricted at all, as Amazon is the vendor with the largest number of books available. So don't worry, Kindle's fine :)

Thanks for all of the information guys! I was thinking about the Kindle Fire since it plays movies and tv shows too (I have an amazon library already) --It seems like it's worth it!

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Joshua on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:07 pm

DarthLocke wrote:Thanks for all of the information guys! I was thinking about the Kindle Fire since it plays movies and tv shows too (I have an amazon library already) --It seems like it's worth it!

I buy pretty much everything of Amazon anyway, so I think the Fire will be awesome :)
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby Bella on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:08 pm

constancewainwright wrote:Same thing here!
I just got a kindle from a groupon deal, well. waiting for it to be delivered (which apparantly takes aaages)

But still. sods law i suppose :S

No one has more books - free or paid - than Amazon. There are also ways around it, but that's a whole other thing.

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
Bella
Senior Moderator

Return to Books & Comics