The Dark Tower [Includes Spoilers!]

A section for modern day Shakespeares and casual readers alike.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

The Dark Tower [Includes Spoilers!]

Postby Finli Otego on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 am

I noticed that quite a few people mentioned reading my favorite series!
So, a few questions:
1) Which is your favorite book? (I like "Waste Lands" the best, and actually think it's my all time favorite King novel)
2) Who is your favorite character? (Roland, of course)
3) How did you feel about S.K. appearing in the series? (I enjoyed it. I agree with King when he says that "part of what makes this story work is the fictional world bursting through into the real world." The scene with Roland, Eddie, and King in "Song of Susannah" is one of my favorites in the series)
4) Did you take King's advice at the end of the final novel, and close it before Roland went into the Tower? If not, how did you feel about the way it ended? (I thought it fit nicely with the idea that "Ka is a wheel")
5) Who is your favorite villain? (Walter, baby. Good old Randy Flagg)
Last edited by Finli Otego on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: The Dark Tower

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:31 am

My favorite book series as well

1.The waste lands was brilliant, and wizard and glass
2. Roland or Blaine (no not duane, but they are both insane) :D
3.It was okay
4.No, it ended okay
5.Walter! or Blaine i guess.
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Re: The Dark Tower [Includes Spoilers!]

Postby Etch-A-Sketchy on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:09 am

1) Which is your favorite book?

I honestly can't pick one, different parts of different books appeal to different parts of me. But if forced I'd go with Wizard and Glass.

2) Who is your favorite character?

Roland, with Oy at his heels. (hardy har har! :roll: )

3) How did you feel about S.K. appearing in the series?

I liked it, and it totally caught me off guard. When the subject was first broached I kinda thought of it as a literary shark-jump, but it tied in the levels of the tower nicely. It took ca-hones, that's for sure.

4) Did you take King's advice at the end of the final novel, and close it before Roland went into the Tower? If not, how did you feel about the way it ended?

No way I took the advice, and unfortunately I knew that it ended with the beginning before I started the series. I thought it was brilliant and was truly the only way to end the series.

5) Who is your favorite villain? Sai Jonas. I couldn't stand him or the rest of the big coffin hunters!
Etch-A-Sketchy
Viewer

Postby Finli Otego on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:35 am

5) Who is your favorite villain? Sai Jonas. I couldn't stand him or the rest of the big coffin hunters!

I listened to the audiobook of "Wizard and Glass", and Frank Muller's voice acting as Jonas was really great.
He became my favorite part of that book because of it. :thumbup:

Valar Morghulis

Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby G-Man on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:48 pm

1) Which is your favorite book?

Wow, tough to choose. I read the first three and then stopped reading the series a couple years back. Then I read through all 7 books last year (or was it 2006?). So, I am more familiar with The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands and they all hold a special place in my heart. I guess these three are my favorites. The Gunslinger is the original and I loved it, but I also loved the complexity added by The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands. Wizard and Glass was a neat installment and look back on Roland's past (I wonder if King was having trouble progressing the story and decided to look backward instead). The final three were also good, but more depressing because it brought everything to and end and all the characters dying off.

2) Who is your favorite character?

Yeah, Roland easy. I did enjoy Eddie though. Dead baby jokes FTW!

3) How did you feel about S.K. appearing in the series?

I thought it was kind of cool. I mean, these characters that King creates have made him what he is. In a way, they are very much a part of his everday life. It was neat to see them become part of his everyday life. I was amused at Roland and Eddie's reaction to learning they were just characters from a story and that King's writer's block was holding up the endgame, even threatening to tip the balance. Roland's anger with King and his insistence that he finish the darn books sort of parallels fans thoughts on the long dealys. Also, it helped serve as a good exit for Jake. I couldn't really have pictured Jake getting gunned down in a fight like a gunslinger. It wouldn't have fit. Plus, it brought Jake full circle- he was killed by a car originally. The universe course corrected that one.

4) Did you take King's advice at the end of the final novel, and close it before Roland went into the Tower? If not, how did you feel about the way it ended?

I actually read the ending of The Dark Tower when it first came out, so I knew how it ended, but forgot the finer details. I was okay with it, thought I was hoping for a more climactic battle with the Crimson King. I was fine with Roland getting sucked back to the start of his quest. It changed a little bit too, implying that things wouldn't go exactly the saem way the next time through. I like to think that Roland finally got the key to the right path and all will be set right on the unseen journey he embarks on at the end. King's suggestion was fine, but since I had already read the last part, I felt I had to read through it again.

5) Who is your favorite villain?

Flagg rocks in The Stand, but he wasn't as badass in the DT series, though he was Walter. I liked Blaine and all the Wolves made for a pretty exciting battle.
G-Man
VIP

Postby kristy815 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:18 am

1) The Wastelands. . .I read it first when it first came out and when I got to the end and read the Dear Reader letter and realized it was the third in a series, I couldn't get to the library fast enough.

2) My favorite character was Blaine the Mono. . . and Jake and Eddie came soon after. I never quite forgave Roland for letting Jake fall I guess. And when he let him fall again just to get to his precious tower, it cut me to the very core. . .That said, Roland is an awesome character and obviously I was intrigued by Roland or this wouldn't be my favorite book series.

3) I got a kick out of King appearing in the series. I thought it provided a sort of comic relief. . .an acknowledgement that sometimes a continuity error is just because the author made a mistake. . .it was a worrying end to the penultimate book though if you were reading them as they came out. . .I was a bit afraid he was abandoning the project and I'd been following Roland on his quest for some years by then.

4) I liked the ending. I guess I thought it was poetic justice that abandoning all his friends in his quest for the tower ultimately meant that he hadn't learned enough from his journey yet. And the fact that he had the horn. . .meant to me that maybe this time he would remember the face of his father and get it right this time. . .Obviously, there's always been that connection to Lost. . .that Jack wakes up in the bamboo and has the liquor bottle in his pocket. . .something to remind him of his father ;)

5) Who is your favorite villain? I liked the big iron soldiers in the Wolves of Calla. . .and the Luddites. . .and I think I've already mentioned liking Blaine the Mono.. .and Shardik.. . I like most of the villains come to think of it. . . King writes a great bad guy. But my favorite villain is Roland. . .an antihero from the get-go.
So, who is this Mr. Bench anyway?
kristy815
Star Billing

Postby Finli Otego on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:35 pm

Big news, Tower Junkies!!!

From stephenking.com:
Dear Constant Readers,

At some point, while worrying over the copyedited manuscript of the next book (11/22/63, out November 8th), I started thinking—and dreaming—about Mid-World again. The major story of Roland and his ka-tet was told, but I realized there was at least one hole in the narrative progression: what happened to Roland, Jake, Eddie, Susannah, and Oy between the time they leave the Emerald City (the end of Wizard and Glass) and the time we pick them up again, on the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis (the beginning of Wolves of the Calla)?

There was a storm, I decided. One of sudden and vicious intensity. The kind to which billy-bumblers like Oy are particularly susceptible. Little by little, a story began to take shape. I saw a line of riders, one of them Roland’s old mate, Jamie DeCurry, emerging from clouds of alkali dust thrown by a high wind. I saw a severed head on a fencepost. I saw a swamp full of dangers and terrors. I saw just enough to want to see the rest. Long story short, I went back to visit an-tet with my friends for awhile. The result is a novel called The Wind Through the Keyhole. It’s finished, and I expect it will be published next year.

It won’t tell you much that’s new about Roland and his friends, but there’s a lot none of us knew about Mid-World, both past and present. The novel is shorter than DT 2-7, but quite a bit longer than the first volume—call this one DT-4.5. It’s not going to change anybody’s life, but God, I had fun.

-- Steve King

Thoughts? I for one am very excited for this. :thumbsup:

Valar Morghulis

Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby brentoid on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:50 am

i'll be all over that like a cheap suit finli...anything dark tower related will always be welcome news
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby chalovak on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:11 am

OH! Good lord!!! That is just awesome!! Thank you, Finli, for the news!!!! :thumbsup:
I hope the cover of this book will be similar to those I own.
It's a shame, though, it won't fit in my Dark Tower Collection Box.
chalovak
Stunt Double

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:54 pm

I was thinking about how fans were to vote for this verses the Doctor Sleep (The Shining Sequel) and how DS won, but WTTKW is being written first. Do you guys think that maybe it was never really a vote at all, but rather from what angle King would want to write about? Even though they are called shiners, they always remind me of breakers. (I always really liked Hearts In Atlantis Novella which features Ted Stevens Brautigan). Anyways I could see connecting Danny to the breakers, but maybe it's just my crazy mind thinking King intends to connect The Shining --extended in this way????

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby brentoid on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:12 am

You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby Finli Otego on Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:44 am

AICN wrote an article proposing that Frank Darabont (who directed arguably the best SK adaptations, "The Shawshank Redemption", "The Green Mile", "The Mist") should be showrunner for an HBO series. Comparisons to "Game Of Thrones" are made.

I think that this is literally the ONLY way I could see a book-to-screen adaptation working and living up to the source material.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50598

Thoughts?

Valar Morghulis

Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby JacobsMom on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:34 am

Finli Otego wrote:I noticed that quite a few people mentioned reading my favorite series!
So, a few questions:
1) Which is your favorite book? (I like "Waste Lands" the best, and actually think it's my all time favorite King novel)
2) Who is your favorite character? (Roland, of course)
3) How did you feel about S.K. appearing in the series? (I enjoyed it. I agree with King when he says that "part of what makes this story work is the fictional world bursting through into the real world." The scene with Roland, Eddie, and King in "Song of Susannah" is one of my favorites in the series)
4) Did you take King's advice at the end of the final novel, and close it before Roland went into the Tower? If not, how did you feel about the way it ended? (I thought it fit nicely with the idea that "Ka is a wheel")
5) Who is your favorite villain? (Walter, baby. Good old Randy Flagg)

Now that I finally finished the series, I think I'll answer Finli's questions at last. :)

1. The Gunslinger....hands down my favorite and why I kept reading on to the next book.

2. Roland with Susannah being a very close second.

3. It seemed weird at first having them interact the way they did but later on in the last book, I liked how it all worked out in the end. My favorite thing was how King wrote about including himself in the final pages of the last book.

4. No. I'm sure some people could stop themselves from this warning but I figured if he took the time to write this the way he did, I wanted to know what he thought the ending really should be. Maybe the warning was okay for those hard core 30 + year fans but I had no feelings either way. I actually thought that if you read well through the whole series (between the lines :) ), I found that this "theme" was there from page one of the very first book. I wasn't surprised at all because I did feel like King had been telling us all along that life is a circle and if we are lucky, we will make progress somehow.

5. Walter but at the end I did enjoy what happened with The Crimson King!
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Today I wondered over to Stephen King's official website and found both the preview cover of April's release of "The Wind Through the Keyhole" and also a limited artist edition from Donald M. Grant which one can order NOW. (I think the site says it's @ $75.00)...I have to say if I wouldn't be nearly broke, I would consider purchasing it. The Giant Tiger Image is just too coo!

Here are some links:
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/wind_through_the_keyhole/limited_edition/
https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-twttk.html

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Return to Books & Comics