Blast Door Map! Help & Suggestions

For all artwork and graphics created by our Community.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Blast Door Map! Help & Suggestions

Postby Henry Gale on Wed May 28, 2008 8:07 pm

[size=150]Update: Blast Door Maps Current StatusImage

Below is a link you should click to a much larger picture of it. Size limits 500 pixils on here. The newest update added a lot more details which cant really be seen as much unless at a bigger size plus you can see the station logos better.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/6614/27271072cx3.jpg

Hey everyone, I stated in my Dexter Blood Spatter thread that I am going to make a large scale blast door map for my entertainment room. I'll be posting updates here and on my blog.

I will be building the map by using 9 pieces of flat canvas board placed together into on big piece like a puzzle. So I can remove the painting at any point to keep with me or move to another room.

Now I have done some research and will in fact be using blacklight paints to create my blast door map. So when you see the painting it looks like an aged and rustic steel wall, until I turn on a blacklight. I have found the colors I need to use on this website for those interested. http://www.clearneon.com/

From what I can tell I will need four colors. Available colors http://www.clearneon.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=3
Electric Blue
Pearlescence
Yellow
White

The images below shows the map from the show before and after.

Now I have a DHARMA carry all messanger bag with the map, and the multitude on pictures online. As well as the Season 2 DVD which I will freeze fram during the scene on my TV while I paint it.

Before I make the map, I will be doing a test run by taking a piece of extra canvas, making it the rustic color and seeing what the black light does, it it turns it the dark shade of blue without glow like on the show then I am in business, as well I am going to test the pink colors and a mixture of the electric blue and white to get the right shades before I do any real painting.

I need help with two parts. I am having trouble telling whether or not then yellow is only used in the middle circle, I have found pictures that show other areas of the yellow paint.

Also there is a lot of gibberish text on the blast door map, should I try to include all of this.. if so, can anyone help me out. I can't rad any of it, therefor if there is a site which has found the some or all of text that would be great so I can try and make it as good a recreation as possible.

Thanks for your help everyone! I will be doing my stencil of the map in pencil soon for the full size map, and doing my test piece this week once the colors come in the mail.
Last edited by Henry Gale on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Henry Gale
Guest Star

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Blast Door Map! Help & Suggestions

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Wed May 28, 2008 8:44 pm

Here is the image from the actual episode
http://images.lostpedia.com/images/3/3c/Fullblastdoor.jpg

Here is a clear version with the translations
http://images.lostpedia.com/images/9/9f/Dharma_stations.jpg

Here is a better version of the actual writing
http://images.lostpedia.com/images/8/8d/LOST_totalback.JPG

Here is the version from the Lost:Via Domus game
http://images.lostpedia.com/images/2/2f/Bdm2.jpg

All courtesy of Lostpedia
Update us with pics :D
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby Henry Gale on Wed May 28, 2008 8:57 pm

Thank you! I didn't think of using via domus. I am going to get these on an SD card, and put them on my wii for photo viewing. I have a 42 plasma, so I will have a nice big clear picture now to look at as I do this. i am going to go for as much of an exact replica as I can. Thanks a lot man. Once I get the paints in I am going to update you all with my test run piece so you can see what it looks like. Then the actual blast door background. Then the stencil then finally the finished product.

Can't wait!!!
Henry Gale
Guest Star

Postby Maqrkk on Thu May 29, 2008 11:06 am

Hmm.. the Lost Via Domus one says that the Pala Ferry and the Hydra are on the total opposite sides to each other. Wasn't the Ferry the way to get to the Hydra? Confused!
Xbox360 Gamertag: Maqrkk - 26310 Gamerscore
Maqrkk
Forum Technician

Postby Henry Gale on Thu May 29, 2008 11:30 am

Could be the docks for the via domus boat. In anycase, that's not on the real map, so that won't be painted. Im just sitting around waiting for my paints to come in so I can get started!!
Henry Gale
Guest Star

Postby Henry Gale on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:10 am

The Paints finally came in, I will be doing a lot of work on it this weekend. Tonight I am doing three test pallets to get the right Blast door steel color. I am also then doing 12 16x20 Flat Canvas pieces with the color which fits best out of the three tests. Then let to dry over night so I can begin with the blue blacklight paints tomorrow.
Henry Gale
Guest Star

Postby Maqrkk on Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:01 pm

I'm very excited to see what you will come up with!
I have a tiny request for you though. I will probably forget to check in this forum :( So could you send me a PM when you progress in it?
Xbox360 Gamertag: Maqrkk - 26310 Gamerscore
Maqrkk
Forum Technician

Postby Henry Gale on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:06 pm

I will be donig updates here and on my blog, ill send you a PM also no problem.

So far my progress was hindered last night, after trying out the different spray paints I found I needed another color to get the right look for the blast door rustic steel. As well as trying out my new paints to find the pink color was actually blue and they sent me two blue's.

I'm going out for new spraypaint today to start the background, then I will begin with the blue background. The pink shouldn't slow me down too much since I was going to do it in layers and blue then the red then the yellow.

Also a new question!

I was looking at my disc five of season two in lockdown to see the right color of the actual Blast Door, and what I found was a little disheartening, although online the writing appears to all be in blue or yellow, the disc art for disc five on season two shows green writing. Is this the right color?

Should I get green for the writing or is that just a part of the art for the show?
Henry Gale
Guest Star

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:17 pm

Henry Gale wrote:I will be donig updates here and on my blog, ill send you a PM also no problem.

So far my progress was hindered last night, after trying out the different spray paints I found I needed another color to get the right look for the blast door rustic steel. As well as trying out my new paints to find the pink color was actually blue and they sent me two blue's.

I'm going out for new spraypaint today to start the background, then I will begin with the blue background. The pink shouldn't slow me down too much since I was going to do it in layers and blue then the red then the yellow.

Also a new question!

I was looking at my disc five of season two in lockdown to see the right color of the actual Blast Door, and what I found was a little disheartening, although online the writing appears to all be in blue or yellow, the disc art for disc five on season two shows green writing. Is this the right color?

Should I get green for the writing or is that just a part of the art for the show?

i think the yellow was to make it easier to see. I would read it in yellow, but paint it in green if thats what it is on the show. I'd do whatever color it is on the show and use the yellow one to know what it says :D Keep us updated
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby Henry Gale on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:55 pm

The text color is so ambiguous on the show it looks like blue, maybe yellow maybe green but the official art is green so i am going to go ahead and order that, I am going to go by a really good color scheme someone made of it with the writing online, all the text is in the correct coloring, so that will help. So I should be able to do all of the blue background parts, then next week I can do the pink yellow and green, since the map works in layers I don't want to do any of the yellow without the pink.
Henry Gale
Guest Star

Postby Henry Gale on Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:08 am

Okay! I need some help.

I have been considering how to paint this. As you read the main plan was to make it invisible, so when the black light came on then the image would appear.

Here are the drawbacks to this. I have tested 3 different kinds of invisible ink paints before settling on the best one I could find. Even though it is clear, you can still see a faint image of the lines you draw since there is paint no the picture, it looks like clear lines, glossy spots unless the Black light is on it.

The other problem is that unless the room is dark or the light is on, it will look like an ugly old metal door. Also the inks properties fade over long periods of time, and they also fade faster due to sunlight, although my painting won't be in direct light.

SO I am thinking about painting it in real acrylic paints and then putting the UV paints over the real ones, so it will also show up under blacklights the exact same way that they do on the show. This way over time if my painting fades, I can easily re-paint it, and as well the piece will look good in daylight. Not to mention, I can also do a light pencil stencil over the whole piece before painting it to get it far more accurate, since real paint will cover the pencil and the invisible ones would not.

So should I do this..? I am leaning towards yes right now.

I will upload a small 8x10 text pallet I did later (Note: I got two blues instead of pink and blue, so you will only see yellow and blue colors at this time.)
Henry Gale
Guest Star

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:10 am

SO I am thinking about painting it in real acrylic paints and then putting the UV paints over the real ones, so it will also show up under blacklights the exact same way that they do on the show. This way over time if my painting fades, I can easily re-paint it, and as well the piece will look good in daylight. Not to mention, I can also do a light pencil stencil over the whole piece before painting it to get it far more accurate, since real paint will cover the pencil and the invisible ones would not.

Thats sounds good, but I would like to see the 8X10 pallets
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby Henry Gale on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:42 am

Okay sorry the picture is fuzzy, I did this in a room with low lighting I guess, I snapped it in a rush.

So thats the pallet test, I just doodled the map real quick, as I said I don't have the pink to do the right colors yet, so I have to wait for that to come in. Although I will be doing acrylic first anyways.

Here are the 12 16x20 inch flat canvas pieces.

Here they are after part one of the spraying, i ran out of paint ( I have never used spray paint before, therefor I didn't know how quickly it ran out.) I will be picking up more from the store now to finish the background color. Update later tonight or tomorrow morning.
Henry Gale
Guest Star

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:46 am

Good work, the colors look like they do on the show :D Nice
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby sunloc87 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:50 am

Can't wait to see it how long do you think it going to take ya?
sunloc87
Stunt Double

Next

Return to Fan Art