Top Chef S7

Big Brother is watching!

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Top Chef S7

Postby PandaVamp on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:34 pm

Top Chef is an American reality competition show that airs on the cable television network Bravo, in which chefs compete against each other in culinary challenges. They are judged by a panel of professional chefs and other notables from the food and wine industry with one or more contestants eliminated in each episode.

Source: Wikipedia

So, who's watching Season 7? What do you think so far? Anyone you already root for?

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Top Chef S7

Postby theotherslover on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:20 pm

THE NEW SEASON STARTED? :scared:
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby Magic Box on Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:51 am

"UTENSILS DOWN, HANDS UP!"

Panda, thank you for the savory thread! :w00t:

theotherlovers, you're a fan? Woot! My heart just went all creamy here! Three episodes aired so far. Catch the fourth one next Wednesday at 9:00. We had a rabbit recipe last year, hoping for a good ham one this season. :lol:

There were 17 contenders from the get go, the same number as Season 6. The first episode goes on in a bit of a blur because the viewers have to get acquainted with so many chefs, get to know their names, and reach a comfortable level of "knowing" them. It doesn't happen on episode one, which is, to use a word of the trade, really an appetizer.

Washington D.C. is the backdrop of Season 7, with a lot of political interests/activity/guests on the menu. One of the challenges so far was in line with the First Lady's babies, lunch on the school ground. Much heat emanated from it when a cheftestant though well to buy a bottle of sherry while on a budget to serve chicken in sherry juice, and another one electing to serve the dreaded peanut butter on celery. Lots of pans hitting pots in the reactions from the viewers - boy, did that sherry story boil down to a burnt spot in the pan. When food meets with personal philosophy and beliefs, salty conversations ensue.

Since we're already three episodes in, I'll just go around the judges this time around, else this post will last for twenty years.

Padma: Padma had a baby and it shows. Although many have commented how it shows on her (improved, they say) figure, I mean that it shows from a behavior point of view. She's having fun this season. The model "look at me, I'm sexy and beautiful" era seems to have been put on an eternal back burner. There is heart, there is humanity, there is substance.

Tom: He was never an easy one to read, but his also having had a baby hasn't changed that. Yet one thing that was made clear is, "Don't, even by accident or ignorance, ever insult my Italian roots." If that would happen, a contestant just might have to pack up their non-Italian skills and go.

Gail: I'll have to confess a major girl crush for her. She's in no bullpoop, says it like it is from a genuine love and knowledge of food, acts like there was never a camera and 20 crew people around her, and seems to have a palate and a quality of elocution that make her comments sensible, down to the point, yet not insulting for the sheer fact of being insulting.

Eric Ripert: He's the new addition in the regular judges team, after having been a guest judge for a couple of seasons. He had to bow out in S6 due to the marvel cheftestant that was Jennifer Carrol being under his wing, but he's sure making it up if he's going to grace us with his presence on most episodes. His comments on the dishes are usually thoughtful and spot on. If we've had judges in the past that tried to steal the show by spitting out the funniest (and somehow tasteless) metaphors, oblivious of the chef's possible feelings, you're got class there that won't take that route.

The general consensus so far is that the cheftestants are of lower quality, more whiny and less sports than last season. But Season 6 was a sweet, sweet dessert, and you don't get to repeat the awesome chocolate/almond ganache that it was every year. I'm confident that as the weeding goes on, we'll have more of a cooking show, real talents being put to the fore.

I'm checking:
Angelo - nope, I don't hate him at all

Kelly. Serious, focused, rightfully oblivious of her self-declared enemy, came up with some jewels so far, she could surprise.

Closely watching:

Lynne:
51, teacher at the Culinary Institute of America. Now, this is an interesting short bio. Has she ever trained chefs from previous seasons?

Arnold: 32, owner of three restaurants. I'm not drawn to him one bit (his fixation on b...ing Kelly is hard to explain and certainly not endearing), but he owns three restaurants. That, on paper, should be enough to keep him going far this season.

I do think it will get to be an exciting season, no matter how S6 is a hard fest to beat. For those of you readers that haven't have had the occasion to watch it yet: your time starts... NOW! :chef:
ImageImage
Owner of Ben's red tie, Ben's Bendiana Jones outfit, Ben's bunny, and Ben's "Don't you read?" line.
Magic Box
Emmy Winner

Location: Near the polar bears, far from the Frozen Donkey Wheel

Postby fingersplints on Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:56 am

I've been a watching all sorts of cooking shows lately. My sister is a big fan of every single one out there as she loves to cook. I'm pretty positive I've caught some of this one, but I will have to pay better attention next time if it's a good one. Stupid homework distracting me from my tv watching.

HI MAGIC BOX :wub:
mafia timer

Miss Ford <3
fingersplints
Star Billing

Postby theotherslover on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:01 am

OMG Magic Box! That's a really good description.
theotherlovers, you're a fan? Woot! My heart just went all creamy here! Three episodes aired so far. Catch the fourth one next Wednesday at 9:00. We had a rabbit recipe last year, hoping for a good ham one this season.
It's my guilty pleasure I've watched this show since season 2 lol. I'm going to catch up now.
FS- I love this show. It's a good one to watch even if you aren't a major cooking show person.
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Great post, Magic!!! :thumbsup:

So far, the one I'm liking and rooting for is Kelly. :thumbup: Arnold is cool as well, but his silly, one sided fight with Kelly annoys me. :| I hope he cuts it down from now on.

Angelo, I don't hate him, but not really like him yet, either. He's like in the middle right now, but I think he has the potential to go far on this show. :)

I can't say much about any of them at this point, but the only one I dislike so far is the self-proclaimed "alpha-male", Kenny. :bored: I know this is a competition reality show, but he's a little bit too cocky for my taste. Putting that aside, and being objective about his skills, seems like he's another one with good chances.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby Magic Box on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:55 am

fingersplints wrote:HI MAGIC BOX :wub:

Hi, fingersplints sistah! :wub: What a delight to know you're following this show as well. :chef:

theotherslover wrote:I'm going to catch up now.

And have you? Things are just only started to get interesting. I'd love to know that you're following the peas and the birds. :lol:

PandaVamp wrote:So far, the one I'm liking and rooting for is Kelly. :thumbup:

Way to go, Panda! I'm still sticking to her. She's focused, well organized, a good cook, and stays away from the drama as long as Amanda isn't present in her bubble.

I lacked following up on this thread because I had little positive things to say about this season, very surprisingly. One of the things Top Chef always did to me was to send me in the kitchen, flying ingredients and pot's-an-pans around like crazy, it is that inspiring. But this season, it didn't happen. None of the episodes have inspired me to cook, and while I still cook, it doesn't have the passion that previous Top Chef seasons instilled in my kitchen. I'm not sure yet what's either wrong or missing this season, maybe it will all come about after the show wraps up.

One thing this season has brought, though, is this undying and sudden need to cook a pea purée. :lol:
ImageImage
Owner of Ben's red tie, Ben's Bendiana Jones outfit, Ben's bunny, and Ben's "Don't you read?" line.
Magic Box
Emmy Winner

Location: Near the polar bears, far from the Frozen Donkey Wheel

Postby theotherslover on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:52 pm

I am watching but not live. I think I've seen them all, not in order, but I've seen them.
I like Tiffany. Her personality and passion is admirable.

But I see what you mean, this season is slightly lacking it's luster of the other seasons. Project Runway is also running at the same time which is my other Guilty Pleasure, so its a little odd keeping track of both of them.
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby hmbb on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:11 pm

I have been watching too but not live. I do not like Angelo at all. He totally is trying to sabotage everyone for no reason.I don't like Alex either. Everything that he makes is horrible according to the judges yet he is still there and then to steal the pea puree and lie about it. ERG!!!
I like Ed and Tiffany. But I think Amanda is the dark horse of the competition. She will surprise them.
hmbb
Show Expert

Postby theotherslover on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:54 am

I just saw the Pea Puree thing. OMG :scared:
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby Sophie_Locke on Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:19 am

omg i watch this :D , top chef is my guilty pleasure and i watch every season!! :lol: Didnt know there was a thread for this show here!

My favourite is Angelo, and my least favourite, Kevin. He seems too focused in trashing Angelo, he seems too focused in talking :cursing: about him, he actually seems jelaous :unsure: . i ve never seen Angelo doing the things Kevin implies. Angelo seems to be a really great chef, Tiffany seems to be really good too :) , and Ed has his moments. Kelly... i dot know, she is too :| for me.

My favourite is Angelo, then Tiffany, then Ed, he could surprise.
Because destiny, John...is a fickle bitch
Sophie_Locke
Supporting Actor

Postby razet93 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:32 am

theotherslover wrote:THE NEW SEASON STARTED? :scared:

when did new season of the show started. I want to watch it.
razet93
Viewer

Return to Reality Shows