Is this a good show to start watching?

General discussion for 'Dexter'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Is this a good show to start watching?

Postby JediChewy on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:12 am

Have been hearing about it, but haven't started and there are so many seasons. How does this show compare to say LOST or 24? Or if not those shows, what is this show like?
May The Force Be With You!
JediChewy
Guest Star

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Is this a good show to start watching?

Postby DarkUFO on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:13 am

Very different to both.

Dexter is my 2nd favourite show after Lost.

Watch the first episode, you'll either Love it or hate it.
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby brentoid on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:39 am

it is AMAZING... there's not much sense in comparing it to lost or 24, but if you are looking for a well acted, well written, funny & dark show about a serial killer who kills "bad" people, you cannot go wrong with dexter...
there's not a lot on currently that would be better...
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby JediChewy on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Thanks! I will start watching first season soon. I was afraid since it first aired on Showtime that it would be like True Blood with all the sex and strange storyline. I only saw a few episodes of TB. I don't want to compare Dexter to anything so I will start.
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby Joel Leo J on Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:44 pm

You won't be dissappointed you started ;)
Joel Leo J
Show Expert

Postby Sawyer5665 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:00 pm

JediChewy wrote:Thanks! I will start watching first season soon. I was afraid since it first aired on Showtime that it would be like True Blood with all the sex and strange storyline. I only saw a few episodes of TB. I don't want to compare Dexter to anything so I will start.

Don't make the mistake of trying to compare it to anything. It's unique for sure! If you can stomach the killing, the storylines, acting, and drama of the show will definitely make you a quick fan. They do a fantastic job of making Dexter relatable. Even though he's a serial killer, it's easy to relate to him...if that makes sense. :lol:
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby razet93 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:42 am

Dexter is better than lost and 24....
razet93
Viewer

Postby Nick on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:02 am

It's second to Lost for me, but they're very different shows. About watching the first episode, it took me awhile to get into it; for me, I was hooked by the second half of the first season, but the first few episodes, while great, aren't really what grabbed me.
Nick
Emmy Winner

Postby DDHUME on Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:14 am

Yes, agreed nothing like Lost or 24 but would also say it's probably my 2nd favorite show to Lost.

I found out about Dexter by accident after season 1 had already aired after seeing ads for season 2 on Showtime. So I noticed that season 1 was on Comcast OnDemand. Watched the first episode & was hooked, literally in two nights watched the entire first season & couldn't wait for season 2 to start.

I had been a fan of Six Feet Under which also starred Michael C Hall so it was interesting to see him in this role, always liked him as an actor so it was easy to want to watch him again. Not at all the MCH we knew as David in Six Feet Under that's for sure :whistle:

Definite thumbs up & recommended show. All the Lost fans on my twitter feed are also Dexter fans btw, again not that there's anything similar about them. Seems a lot of Lost fans happen to love Dexter. It does have a great supporting cast IMO as well. I would say one should start from season 1; there are story arcs that start from the beginning.
"THE UNIVERSE HAS A WAY OF COURSE CORRECTING"
DDHUME
Stunt Double

Postby JediChewy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Ok so I watched through Season 4, but haven't started on 5. How is Season 5??
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby Nick on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:44 am

It's a tad slow, but still good IMO. Not as good as Season 4 was at this point by any means, but still good stuff.
Nick
Emmy Winner

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:19 am

I just finished the first season and I absolutely love it! Such great writing with such interesting characters and story lines! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The following are just spoilers for those whom have not seen all of first season.

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
I like the way Deb has been written with too much forced emotion and is generally not very careful or mindful of what she is saying or doing, while Dexter struggles to understand and express emotion, but is usually very careful (with a few minor not careful things) and thoughtful about his surroundings .--And then in contrast again to his girl friend who in certain scenes is pretty confident, while in others she is softer and then also to have Paul (Yay for Pellegrino!!) to be a mirror of what Dexter came from (his biological parents), as he then takes a responsibility to protect her kids like his adopted father did, --and to top it off with a brother he didn't know he had being 'the ice truck killer' only to hope Dexter and him can be "blood brothers" forever! And he chooses his sister, despite that he doesn't understand his emotions and his rational to be able to be "really known" and accepted to someone....just wow!

Starting season two tonight! What was I waiting for!!??!! :w00t:

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby brentoid on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:01 am

i loved season 2 darth...id had read the 1st book of dexter before i saw the show, and it followed it pretty accurately...but season 2 took a complete left turn, not following the source material at all...it would be interesting to compare what dexter did with season 2 with game of thrones...

but yeah, what WERE you waiting for?
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:28 pm

brentoid wrote:i loved season 2 darth...id had read the 1st book of dexter before i saw the show, and it followed it pretty accurately...but season 2 took a complete left turn, not following the source material at all...it would be interesting to compare what dexter did with season 2 with game of thrones...

but yeah, what WERE you waiting for?

I just finished season two and started season three! --You weren't kidding about it taking a "left turn"! :lol:
I really liked the way it fleshed out because I like the idea of exploring how others can influence and/or induce certain aspects of one's persona and how that can be either a stable or destructive thing, especially when we are looking at someone like Dexter! It it was sort of nice to go from Brian to Lila in terms of Dexter attempting to come to terms with his identity...I do hope that at some point Deb gets a little closer to Dexter, because despite their emotional differences, or perhaps it's better to say: the difference in presentation of emotions, they have some things in common and it would be nice to for them to see that in each other. I also like how Rita and the kids are really Dexter's second chance to have and/or (to make up for Harry's mistakes) give a family a life he didn't get to have. And although he often doesn't understand it completely, it is them that keeps more or less grounded and able to survive....but we will see what all season 3 has to bring with it's Boardwalk Empire of the Miami prosecutor!

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Return to Dexter Discussion [No spoilers!]