[Official] Dexter Ep. 5.12 Discussion

General discussion for 'Dexter'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Dexter Ep. 5.12 Discussion

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Two Sides wrote:To be honest, I thought 'Through A Glass, Darkly' would have been a much more awesome episode title! Yet they went with a rather anti-climatic 'The Big One'...

I'm not sure what the relevance would have been of 'Through A Glass, Darkly'... But it certainly more awesome.

Where did Through a Glass, Darkly come from? Was that the original title? The completely legal website I watched the episode on ( :whistle: ) had it listed as that but then the opening title said The Big One.
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Two Sides on Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Thirty-Fiver wrote:
Two Sides wrote:To be honest, I thought 'Through A Glass, Darkly' would have been a much more awesome episode title! Yet they went with a rather anti-climatic 'The Big One'...

I'm not sure what the relevance would have been of 'Through A Glass, Darkly'... But it certainly more awesome.

Where did Through a Glass, Darkly come from? Was that the original title? The completely legal website I watched the episode on ( :whistle: ) had it listed as that but then the opening title said The Big One.

Yes, it was originally going to be called that, and I find an intriguing. The Big One is so.., naff. So I guess it suited the finale then :P
HannaK wrote:I've found my Sawyer to Juliet tbh :wub: :D
Two Sides
Oscar Winner

Postby S-V-S on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Thirty-Fiver wrote:
Finli Otego wrote:I really love what this reviewer from the A.V. Club had to say. I completely agree.
Here's a simple test: What more do we know about Dexter as a character or even as a show at the end of this season that we didn't before? Every finale up until this point has expanded the show's conception of the central character, at least a little bit. Season one gave him a brother and an origin myth. Season two reinforced his sense that his work was somehow righteous, even as the show seemed to suggest, "Eh, maybe not, bud." Season three suggested he might be able to grow into a family man. Season four suggested that, no, the compulsion to kill was so strong that it would eventually overwhelm all else and become a cancer that dragged him to hell. What has season five had to say about the man that we didn't already know? He's capable of forming attachments? We knew that. He'll kill for self-preservation? Knew that, too. Serialized narratives succeed best when we're getting new information constantly (or at least getting new dimensions to old characters), but they can work if the same old beats are successfully disguised. It's on these grounds that this season of Dexter hasn't worked.

Overall I agree with this, but I think we started to see a more human side (or normal side) of Dexter this season. Remember when he could barely show affection to Rita cause he was so detached? This season we saw he actually has passion for things other than killing.

Like I said though, I agree for the most part. This season didn't really move a lot of things along. Except for Deb, imo. It seems like they're setting her up to actually have an understanding for what Dex does when she inevitably finds out. Her not finding out about Dex in the finale is what bugged me the most. I should've known, though, since the commercials hinted that was going to happen. They wouldn't reveal something like that in a promo.

I pretty much agree with everything you say. I thought while there was no "big" revelation, we saw Dexter grow as a person, and start to discover feelings. His reaction to what happened to Rita opened up something in him that was closed off, and this season explored that.

I also expected Deb to discover Dex' secret, and was surprised she didn't. Perhaps that is what will be the hinge for next season?
S-V-S
Viewer

Postby HannaK on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Finli Otego wrote:I really love what this reviewer from the A.V. Club had to say. I completely agree.
Here's a simple test: What more do we know about Dexter as a character or even as a show at the end of this season that we didn't before? Every finale up until this point has expanded the show's conception of the central character, at least a little bit. Season one gave him a brother and an origin myth. Season two reinforced his sense that his work was somehow righteous, even as the show seemed to suggest, "Eh, maybe not, bud." Season three suggested he might be able to grow into a family man. Season four suggested that, no, the compulsion to kill was so strong that it would eventually overwhelm all else and become a cancer that dragged him to hell. What has season five had to say about the man that we didn't already know? He's capable of forming attachments? We knew that. He'll kill for self-preservation? Knew that, too. Serialized narratives succeed best when we're getting new information constantly (or at least getting new dimensions to old characters), but they can work if the same old beats are successfully disguised. It's on these grounds that this season of Dexter hasn't worked.

I can definitely see his opinion and I agree partly but this season showed me something that I've never seen Dexter do: reaching out. Big time.
At first I thought Lumen was a bit too much like 'Okay, I killed the people responsible and now I'm gonna go on with my life kthnxbai' but I really think this is the best for her. The scene with Dexter breaking that plate was, imo, one of the best scenes ever in Dexter. Thing I'm most looking forward to next season is the new Quinn/Dexter dynamic. Should be interesting.
Two Sides wrote:I found the Juliet to my Shawn :wub: :wub:

"Words are futile devices.''
HannaK
Supporting Actor

Postby Twitchys Girl on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:42 pm

I thought the cat burping and farting at the same time was the best moment of Season 5.
Twitchy's Girl
Twitchys Girl
Extra

Previous

Return to Dexter Discussion [No spoilers!]