Dexter, what would happen if Debra found out?

General discussion for 'Dexter'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Dexter, what would happen if Debra found out?

Postby sjorsman on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:40 am

Last season Dexter's sister Debra almost found out his secret. But in the end she didn't see his face.

But what if she did? What would happen between Dexter and Debra?
Would she arrest him, or protect him?
And will it be any good for the show itself if one of the major characters found out?

Let me know what you think... :D
Last edited by sjorsman on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
sjorsman
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Dexter, what would happen in Debra found out?

Postby DarkUFO on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:49 am

I have a feeling we might find out this season. Will be interesting to see what happens.

My guess is that she would probably try to protect him.
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby b3rt4 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:59 am

If it doesn't happen this season I'm ****. I don't know why they're so afraid of doing this. :(

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby Cheetah on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:25 am

What would happen IN Debra? No idea :P

If she ever found out though, I think first and foremost she'd try and change his mind and try for him to stop it. Afterwards she'd blame their father, and when she eventually realizes it's a part of him, she'd protect him, maybe help him track down some people. It'd be sucky though if they went the Chuck route in which he says he'll stop but secretly still does it anyway.
Cheetah
Viewer

Postby sjorsman on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:57 am

Cheetah wrote:What would happen IN Debra? No idea :P

If she ever found out though, I think first and foremost she'd try and change his mind and try for him to stop it. Afterwards she'd blame their father, and when she eventually realizes it's a part of him, she'd protect him, maybe help him track down some people. It'd be sucky though if they went the Chuck route in which he says he'll stop but secretly still does it anyway.

I think you are right, but I think the whole thing of Debra protecting her brother is a bit obvious.
And with Dexter you can never expect the obvious, so maybe we are in for a big surprise?
sjorsman
Show Expert

Re: Dexter, what would happen if Debra found out?

Postby cj108 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:05 pm

I really thought this would happen at the end of the last season, and something like this needs to happen this season desperately!

I imagine if Debra found on early in the season there would be a season of mental termoil for her, torn between protecting her family and upholding the law. I think the longer they leave this plot twist it will be less plausable for Deb to not arrest Dexter (as she becomes more mature, moral and a better cop each season).

I imagine it would go like this: She'd be a reck for a few days and wont tell anyone why. Dexter reasons with her and perhaps she even grows to help him for a while (almost like Harry did). Then, just like Harry, it becomes too much for her to handle so she hatches a plan to catch him in the act. Dexter latches on to her uncomfortableness, makes his final kill of the season - but Deb and the cops arrive too late and Dexter has vanished, and vacated his house etc. End of Season.
cj108
Viewer

Postby Sawyer5665 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:39 pm

I think this question is directly related to the endgame of the series. I think that the reason that a major character hasn't found out yet is because it would mark the beginning of the end of the series (AND THAT'S NOT A BAD THING).

I LOVE Dexter, but even I can admit that it's time for the series to either totally reinvent itself (unlikely at this point) or bring the series to a close. I think it would be great for Debra to find out early on in season six to set up the "final" season. I think season six should be the last. I absolutely loved the first four seasons....and I thought that season four was far and away the best. But I could see it last season that the series was starting to fade.

Since I think that Debra finding out Dexter's secret would mark the beginning of the end of the series....unless of course she was killed somehow before she told anyone (Doakes!!!)...I am really curious as to how Dexter will end. There are really only 4 options....A: Dexter is killed B: Dexter is caught C: Dexter is found out but fleas D: Dexter is not found out and continues doing what he's always done (The Sopranos ending :lol: )
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby sooie159 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:46 am

I agree with most of the folks on here. I think this season is time for Deb to find out. I could see Deb possibly becoming a Lumen-esque figure after she finds out. Maybe she finds out in episode 3 or 4 and the rest of this season would be about them dealing with her newfound knowledge and even her helping with a kill of a suspect that she lost somehow. Then the rest of the season would be Deb and Dex wrestling with the ethical/moral dilemma that is killing those worthy of being killed. Possibly the final episode would revolve around Deb and Dex almost getting caught, but getting away with it. The series would have to end with Dex getting killed while sacrificing himself so that Deb wouldn't get caught - and Deb arresting his killer - thus ending her tryst with vigilantism.
¡Viva los porcinos! GO HOGS GO!!!
sooie159
Extra

Postby Sawyer5665 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:37 am

Personally, I don't think that I could buy into a Deb/Dexter killing team. That doesn't fit Deb's character IMHO.

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby brentoid on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:40 pm

do you not remember in season 2 dexter imagines what would happen if deb found out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X063gO7Tdg

hehehe...

i wish she had found out in last season to be honest, i thought the writers chickened out of that...i could see her turning a blind eye to it once she realises dexter only kills deserving people (mostly)...cant see her joining him...
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby Sawyer5665 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:23 pm

brentoid wrote:do you not remember in season 2 dexter imagines what would happen if deb found out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X063gO7Tdg

hehehe...

i wish she had found out in last season to be honest, i thought the writers chickened out of that...i could see her turning a blind eye to it once she realises dexter only kills deserving people (mostly)...cant see her joining him...

Yeah, Deb is not the killing type...other than self preservation. Honestly, the only way that I can see Deb turning a blind eye is if she got the whole story....Dexter witnessing his mother being butchered, everything with Harry, and the fact that he only kills people that truly deserve it. And only after truly doubting whether or not she should let him be would she make the agonizing decision to not stop him. Like, maybe Dexter could be completely honest with her and tell her about "Rudy" being his brother and that he was truly after Dexter that whole time instead of her.

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby Michelle on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:15 am

Sawyer5665 wrote:I think this question is directly related to the endgame of the series. I think that the reason that a major character hasn't found out yet is because it would mark the beginning of the end of the series (AND THAT'S NOT A BAD THING).

I LOVE Dexter, but even I can admit that it's time for the series to either totally reinvent itself (unlikely at this point) or bring the series to a close. I think it would be great for Debra to find out early on in season six to set up the "final" season. I think season six should be the last. I absolutely loved the first four seasons....and I thought that season four was far and away the best. But I could see it last season that the series was starting to fade.

Since I think that Debra finding out Dexter's secret would mark the beginning of the end of the series....unless of course she was killed somehow before she told anyone (Doakes!!!)...I am really curious as to how Dexter will end. There are really only 4 options....A: Dexter is killed B: Dexter is caught C: Dexter is found out but fleas D: Dexter is not found out and continues doing what he's always done (The Sopranos ending :lol: )

My thoughts exactly.
Michelle
Emmy Nominee

Return to Dexter Discussion [No spoilers!]