[Official] Dexter Ep. 6.09 Discussion

General discussion for 'Dexter'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Dexter Ep. 6.09 Discussion

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:56 am

"Get Gellar"

9:00PM

Discuss Dexter's latest episode here.

Dexter tries to stay one step ahead of the Homicide Division concerning the Doomsday Killers, while he finds help from an unlikely source; Debra uncovers something unexpected about herself during her therapy sessions.

Source: TV.com

Check STV.com/Dexter for Spoilers.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Dexter Ep. 6.09 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:28 pm

Well I am actually glad for the story that Gellar is dead (and of Travis' mind).

As for Green, I remember the first time I saw him...the way he wanted to to know everything about Dexter, how overly friendly and helpful he is reminded me of Brian too, and I had wondered if the interns were in a cult together. My thoughts changed a bit when he displayed his high-tech skills, I thought maybe he was CIA or FBI undercover. The hand doesn't necessarily mean anything, but the music they played with it sure did :P --I had also suspected if Green was an "Ice Truck Killer" fan, then he might know a lot of things...additionally when Brian appeared before Dexter in "Nebraska", he kept telling Dexter it was weird to see him with a kid, and at one point Dexter didn't feel good about Harrison being with them when they were discussing things and he put him to bed. IMO I would think if Brian would be alive, especially with how he felt about Deb's relationship with Dexter, I would think his jealousy would put both Harrison and Deb lives in jeopardy!

As for Deb's psycho-logist, I have to say she is a pretty bad one! --Not because she could lead Deb to know the truth about Dexter, but that her own advise to Deb about accepting other people for who they are, goes against the belief of what a psychologist is suppose to help someone with, and that is "change" (aka if Deb is couch, then the psychologist should just accept that she is a couch :roll: ). Additionally I think she is really bad for yet another reason, her philosophy/method of trying to help Deb makes Deb feel worse about herself and is going to cause Deb to isolate herself further...

Anyways I still like how the season ties back to the show's season one roots by forcing them all to take a look back at themselves and challenge the character's perception of progress!

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby NK-Metal on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:23 pm

I saw the Gellar is already dead thing coming for like the last 5 episodes already but I like that they went through with it :PP.
Lost is the best :D I also love Game of Thrones, American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, Once Upon A Time, Dexter, Misfits, Glee, Prison Break, Fringe, Breaking Bad and others :D

click for Lost quizzes!
http://www.sporcle.com/user/Jorss1/contributed
NK-Metal
Stunt Double

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:37 pm

NK-Metal wrote:I saw the Gellar is already dead thing coming for like the last 5 episodes already but I like that they went through with it :PP.

Ya! Good job! :thumbup: --I liked how they linked Travis/Gellar to Brian again too, by having Gellar's body hidden in a FREEZER and of course the removal of Casey's hand!

And I love that doomsday = break down (for just about everyone) has been so wonderfully woven in this season.

I guess we might have to wait till next season to really see "the new world"...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Sandiwich11 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:55 pm

I thought Geller was like Dex's dad since about half way through the leaked premiere, since then I've been hoping and hoping I was wrong because they seemed to push that idea too much. Sixth Sense it wasn't :lol:

I'm really not finding any of the arcs interesting this year, I was really looking forward to a proper look at the light and dark side of religion. But they have played it safe throughout and not challenged faith/beliefs much at all; it's too black and white with no shades of grey which has been a great disappointment for me.

Debs is the only character I'm interested in, her psychologist visits are the best written and performed scenes imo and we are getting a great insight in to what her motivations are. That's something I'm not picking up from most of the other characters, which might be why I'm finding their plots dull, lol.

Oh, and Hanks is still crap :P

Follow me on Twitter: Sandiwich11
Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:47 pm

Sandiwich11 wrote:I thought Geller was like Dex's dad since about half way through the leaked premiere, since then I've been hoping and hoping I was wrong because they seemed to push that idea too much. Sixth Sense it wasn't :lol:

I'm really not finding any of the arcs interesting this year, I was really looking forward to a proper look at the light and dark side of religion. But they have played it safe throughout and not challenged faith/beliefs much at all; it's too black and white with no shades of grey which has been a great disappointment for me.

Debs is the only character I'm interested in, her psychologist visits are the best written and performed scenes imo and we are getting a great insight in to what her motivations are. That's something I'm not picking up from most of the other characters, which might be why I'm finding their plots dull, lol.

Oh, and Hanks is still crap :P

This is something I wrote on the main site in the comments section, since my responce is generally the same:

I feel a little different about it, because nobody is in the same role they were in before and it's the changes in that that reflect these breakdowns....If something happens to Jamie, and Batista is held up because of Quinn, think of how that will effect him. Simultamously, if Dexter is dealing with Travis, then Greene can move in and get Dexter's attention not just with Jamie, but Harrison. Then we have Deb, who is clearly being set up to fail, but is also being led to the truth that she never let herself 'connect the dots' about Dexter which then parallels herself with Brian...Deb, like Dexter constantly devoids herself of truth, and unfortunately this psychologist is pushing her to know this at the worst time possible and way too fast!

I also think the introduction of Casey (2lot---nature = chaos) suggests otherwise....Dexter himself has often tried to take an existential position, but keeps proving that idea wrong, as he has a code and he cares deeply for others around him. (additionally we can argue that Travis interpretation to produce doomsday is chaos, and that even in chaos/Nature there is "chaos structure" which include breakdowns leading to new cycles---->'law of averages'----> 'Deb breaking the pattern' --mirrors evolution)

I had kept waiting to see what interpretation the writers were going to give us for apocalypse...In this episode it was made clear that it is a time of change: "A New World".

I had often times wondered if either this was all in Dexter's head, if he was never a serial killer and he would wake up a the end of the series...or if there was ever going to be a science fiction element. One of the reoccurring pieces of diologue is "tic- toc"....I sometimes wonder if one season will end in disaster and if he will time travel back to change it.

The season also had fairy tales/story telling motifs woven in....going back to either of the above sanarios, "a horse of a different color" relates to The Wizard of Oz, which can play on: More than one existence for each of us (parallel universes), waking up to the belief that 'it was all a dream'--I made up new versions of people I know to understand myself better, and/or that I have come to believe in a lie (the Wizard is a fraud = Harry/Dark passenger/Sam accepting the lie as good intentions or listening to Brian, because good intentions don't matter, only the truth does aka breakdown/doomsday ).

I don't think the writers played it safe, by not choosing a side, because I think the truth is that there is good and bad to everything, and that it has more to do with our interpretation to 'life', then anything else as both science and theology come from the same mold: the human pursuit of understanding and gaining knowledge in order to find the 'best' way to survive (and this is what humanity has been fighting about for centuries)

They are weighing out humanities struggles here. I think it will be interesting how we go into another season...how will things be resolved, and if they ever can be?

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Return to Dexter Discussion [No spoilers!]