[Official] Dexter Ep. 6.10 Discussion

General discussion for 'Dexter'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Dexter Ep. 6.10 Discussion

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:40 am

"Ricochet Rabbit"

9:00PM

Discuss Dexter's latest episode here.

Dexter tries to find the Doomsday Killers' next victim; Debra reacts strongly to a crime scene.

Source: Zap2It

Check STV.com/Dexter for Spoilers.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Dexter Ep. 6.10 Discussion

Postby Michelle on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:07 am

I thought it was a decent episode. I couldn't stop giggling at "**** pad"
Michelle
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:09 pm

I thought the episode didn't escalate too far, but 'taking steps backwards' is often the theme of Dexter, but also seems to be the theme of the season.

I laughed at ****pad too :P --and also at the way James Olmos delivered his lines to Travis. "You killed me. Stabbed me with a knife and stuck me in the freezer."

Once again I can still see time travel of some sort as a possibility. Time was brought up again, "Your running out of time." and also Dexter is "what if"-ing a life with out Harry...once again blaming him for all of this, like Travis blamed Gellar. Even though Dexter didn't pre-meditate and/or physically acted to kill Harry, Dexter did come to believe that Harry killed himself because of Dexter, and I don't think Dexter has REALLY dealt with that yet.

Additionally the last Tablo has to do with "a star falling from the sky" and Wormwood (a deathly poison and actually a relative of absinthium). Falling star = death star (a star gone super nova?), wormwood = worm hole-made of gases/poisens/hullucigens?

But here is some info on wormwood with healing properties:

The leaves and flowering tops are gathered when the plant is in full bloom, and dried naturally or with artificial heat. Its active substances include silica, two bitter substances (absinthin and anabsinthine), thujone, tannic and resinous substances, malic acid, and succinic acid. It is used medicinally as a tonic, stomachic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, carminative, cholagogue, febrifuge and anthelmintic. It has also been used to remedy indigestion and gastric pain. Wormwood tea is used as a remedy for labor pain. A dried, encapsulated form of the plant is used as an anthelmintic.[2] Extracts of the plant have shown to exhibit strong antimicrobial activity, especially against Gram-positive pathogenic bacteria. [4]
A wine can also be made by macerating the herb. It is also available in powder form and as a tincture. The oil of the plant can be used as a cardiac stimulant to improve blood circulation. Pure wormwood oil is very poisonous, but with proper dosage poses little or no danger.[5] The oil is a potential source of novel agents for the treatment of leishmaniasis.[6]

and here is some folklore:

Artemisia comes from Ancient Greek ἀρτεμισία, from Ἄρτεμις (Artemis).[7] In Hellenistic culture, Artemis was a goddess of the hunt, and protector of the forest and children.
Absinthium comes from Ancient Greek ἀψίνθιον (apsinthion)/ἀσπίνθιον,[7] underlain by a pre-Greek Pelasgian word, marked by the non-Indoeuropean consonant complex νθ. Alternatively, it might possibly mean "unenjoyable", and probably refer to the bitter nature of the derived beverage.[citation needed] Consider the following quote by Lucretius in De Rerum Natura, I, 936-8:

"And as physicians when they seek to give
A draught of bitter wormwood to a child,
First smearing along the edge that rims the cup
The liquid sweets of honey, golden-hued,"

The word "wormwood" comes from Middle English wormwode or wermode. The form "wormwood" is influenced by the traditional use as a cure for intestinal worms. Webster's Third New International Dictionary attributes the etymology to Old English wermōd (compare with German Wermut and the derived drink vermouth), which the OED (s.v.) marks as "of obscure origin". An alternative explanation dubiously combines the Old English wer, meaning "man" (as in "werewolf"), with Old English mōd, meaning "mood".[citation needed]
Wormwood is mentioned seven times in the Jewish Bible and once in the New Testament, always with the implication of bitterness.

Biblical Wormwood (star):
Although the word wormwood appears several times in the Old Testament, translated from the Hebrew term לענה (la'anah), e.g., Deuteronomy 29:18 and Jeremiah 9:15, its only clear reference as a named entity occurs in the New Testament, in the Book of Revelation: "And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon a third of the rivers, and upon the springs of water; And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and a third of the waters became Bitter; and many people had died of the waters, because they were made bitter." (Revelation 8:10, 11 - KJB).

Historist interpretations
Various religious groups and figures, including Seventh-day Adventists and the theologians Matthew Henry and John Gill,[4] regard the verses of Revelation 8 as symbolic references to past events in human history. In the case of Wormwood, some historist interpreters believe that this figure represents the army of the Huns as led by king Attila, pointing to chronological consistencies between the timeline of prophecy they have accepted and the history of the Huns' campaign in Europe.[5] Others point to Arius, the emperor Constantine, Origen or the ascetic monk Pelagius, who denied the doctrine of Original sin.

Futurist interpretations
Various scientific scenarios have been theorized on the effects of an asteroid or comet's collision with Earth. An applicable scenario theorizes a chemical change in the atmosphere due to "heat shock" during entry and/or impact of a large asteroid or comet, reacting oxygen and nitrogen in the atmosphere to produce nitric-acid rain.[6] Acid rain from the heat shock of a large comet or asteroid's impact with Earth is believed by some to fit the Biblical description of the bitterness produced by the Wormwood Star upon a third of the Earth's potable water. [7]
[edit]Alternative interpretations

A number of Bible scholars consider the term Wormwood to be a purely symbolic representation of the bitterness that will fill the earth during troubled times, noting that the plant for which Wormwood is named, Artemisia absinthium, or Mugwort, Artemisia vulgaris, is a known Biblical metaphor for things that are unpalatably bitter.[8][9] One interesting theory is that nuclear weaponry could be called wormwood. For example: Ukrainian synonymy 'wormwood'. They do poison the water where they are detonated, thus explaining the correlation. Some[10] even point to the Chornobyl disaster as a possible fulfillment of this prophecy, as the name Chornobyl is said to translate to "wormwood."[11]

A highly elliptical orbit of a Brown Dwarf star at the edge of the Oort cloud may also be a similar culprit that is beginning to gain attention for causing Extinction Level Events on Earth every 26-27 million years. Some scientists even name this hypothetical object as Nemesis. Still, other scientists attribute the disturbance in the Oort system to the highly elliptical orbit of 90377 Sedna, every 10,000 to 15,000 years, suggesting that this disturbance may have caused an impact event that created Burckle Crater and a subsequent megatsunami in the Indian Ocean, recorded as the great Flood in the Epic of Gilgamesh and in the Book of Genesis.

I also see duality and trinities afoot --things that continue to relate to Brian, but also things coming in 3's that play on "trinity" (<---aka resurrection: Father, Son, Holy Ghost). We have 3 hands "out of place" -the Ice truck killer's prosthetic hand at Louis house, Trent Casey's, and now Gellar's. Additionally Louis Greene's disapproval from Dexter is similar to how Dexter blew of Brian at first. Louis's video game is his way of showing Dexter who he really is and asking him, "do you wanna to play?". If something happens to Jamie or Harrison, the game could be "key" in saving them...It's not like he also didn't include "the bay harbor butcher" as an option. :whistle:

Poor Angel! I didn't see that coming at all! :scared: This new couple who now follows Gellar Travis not only makes 3 Doomsday Killers (or accomplesses), but also the writers are telling us anything can happen. And maybe a nod back to season 5 and Jordan Chase (getting others motivated to help your cause)

Another nod to Brian was Dexter explaining to Deb that he had a panic attack too, when he saw Brian's kill room...Deb later makes the point of telling her shrink that she use to have nightmares and she would go sleep on the floor in Dexter's room. --It made me think of two things. I wondered why she have nightmares, if it related to her mom or knowing all the animals in the neighborhood were missing? Or is there some other traumatic experience missing to us? And it made me think that in a way Deb has a six sense that staying close to Dexter is in fact what keeps her safe, despite he might be the reason she needs protected to begin with...I def think that if Time Travel doesn't occur, that this will be the season Deb finds out...I think the season is def leading to somewhere profound, game changing, and dramatic...something that could tell us what the rest of the series is going to be about.

I also wanted to add that it's curious that Greene chose Jack the Ripper to be apart of his game. Jack the Ripper has never been identified and so tons and tons of folklore, myths, and works of fiction have been written about cases believed to involved 'ripper'. --So far Dexter's identity, as "The Bay Harbor Buthcer" has, like Ripper, not been solve, as also like with Ripper there are time period laps that has been hard to link series of murders together --But further the absinthe with Ripper reminds me of the film "From Hell" where the absinthe helps aid the inspector to help him find Ripper...

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby brentoid on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:28 pm

heheh, check this out darth

"wyrmwood will fall from the sky, poison a 3rd of all the earth & a 3rd of all the land, and many many people will die" not an exact quote but close...
the russian translation of wrymwood is chernoble...fact...

not much to do with dexter, but a cool wee point none the less...

note: that quote, although originally from the bible, came from one of favourite films "naked" by mike leigh...in it, the main character jonny, speaks to a security guard about the end of the world...some nice points in it...

but, back to dexter...they are setting this up for deb to realise who dexter really is i reckon...lots of not so subtle hints in this episode
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:17 pm

brentoid wrote:heheh, check this out darth

"wyrmwood will fall from the sky, poison a 3rd of all the earth & a 3rd of all the land, and many many people will die" not an exact quote but close...

note: that quote, although originally from the bible, came from one of favourite films "naked" by mike leigh...in it, the main character jonny, speaks to a security guard about the end of the world...some nice points in it...

but, back to dexter...they are setting this up for deb to realise who dexter really is i reckon...lots of not so subtle hints in this episode

I will have to check that film out! Sounds very entertaining! :thumbup: That's interesting about the Russian translation too. Did not know that! :w00t:

yeah. I def think Deb's on the verge of realization, but it feels like the set up is even bigger than that...but like always, I get ahead of myself and we will have to wait and see. :)

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby brentoid on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:36 pm

DarthLocke wrote:

I will have to check that film out! Sounds very entertaining! :thumbup: That's interesting about the Russian translation too. Did not know that! :w00t:

yeah. I def think Deb's on the verge of realization, but it feels like the set up is even bigger than that...but like always, I get ahead of myself and we will have to wait and see. :)

as far as dexter goes, i dont think there's a bigger deal than deb finding out who dexter is & what he has done...as far as im concerned its the holy grail of the show...
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:24 am

brentoid wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:

as far as dexter goes, i dont think there's a bigger deal than deb finding out who dexter is & what he has done...as far as im concerned its the holy grail of the show...

I could see it coming to that of course, but the novels go so FAR beyond that, that It's hard for me to see it as "the biggest change"...that alone feels too easy and I think they could pleasantly deal with it for a season. Not saying that anything else I said before "has" to be the case, but I do hope it is more than just Deb finding out and dealing with it.

Semi-Big Spoiler about the future of Dexter...
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
They renewed it for two seasons and one of the show runners suggested that what ever happens in these last 3 episodes play into the series end game...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Return to Dexter Discussion [No spoilers!]