[DW] The all-purpose Doctor Who (new series) thread

General discussion for 'Doctor Who / Torchwood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[DW] The all-purpose Doctor Who (new series) thread

Postby AdnanZ on Fri May 16, 2008 9:00 pm

There's a thread in the spoilers section but not here! :D

I'm not a massive fan of the current era but I'll watch anything they call Doctor Who (or read/listen to it)

Anyway, my ratings for season 30/series 4 so far:

Voyage of the Damned 4/10
Partners in Crime 1/10
The Fires of Pompeii 9/10
Planet of the Ood 7/10
The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky 7/10
The Doctor's Daughter 6/10
AdnanZ
Stunt Double

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: The all-purpose Doctor Who (new series) thread

Postby crikey on Fri May 16, 2008 9:08 pm

I think I'm the only person in the UK (apart from my missus) who thinks that Catherine Tate is doing a great job as the new assistant.

She's feisty and sparky, and much more independent than the last couple, I thought it might be a disaster waiting to happen but I've been very pleasantly surprised.

I think the storylines this season have been particularly strong, though the main arc is still a little unclear to me (BAD WOLF was the best long arc imo). Loved Planet of the Ood.

Feel free to flame away. ;)
crikey
Emmy Nominee

Postby Dharmageddon on Fri May 16, 2008 9:09 pm

I am growing to like Catherine Tate. At first I was unsure, but she is starting to grow into her role now.
Dharmageddon
Administrator

Postby AdnanZ on Fri May 16, 2008 9:15 pm

I'll have to agree with you. Rose in series 1 was great then they made her fall in love with the Doctor. I hate the idea. Just hate it. Donna is just perfect: "we're not even the same species! There must be laws against that sort of thing!"
AdnanZ
Stunt Double

Postby Joshua on Sat May 17, 2008 6:40 pm

LOVE Rose! But also really like Donna, way more than Martha! She's great! :D

Here's my ratings:

Voyage of the Damned 6/10
Partners in Crime 8/10
The Fires of Pompeii 7/10
Planet of the Ood 7/10
The Sontaran Stratagem 3/10
The Poison Sky 5/10
The Doctor's Daughter 8/10
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby AdnanZ on Sat May 17, 2008 10:32 pm

I remember a time when Gareth Roberts was well-regarded by Who fandom. His New Adventures novels were well-liked and his Missing Adventures efforts were seen by many as some of the best of the 90's Who novels (including myself). Granted Roberts didn't help his dwindling reputation (a result of silly revisionist thought when fans decided to be pretentious and ignore these fun romps in favor of the 'challenging drama' of some of the NA's) with last year's extremely disappointing "The Shakespeare Code", but he has matched some of his finest work such as "The Romance of Crime" and "The English Way of Death" with "The Unicorn and the Wasp", a fun and exciting little adventure reminiscent in several ways of Doctor Who's other television murder-mystery, "Black Orchid".

The only real flaw in this episode was essentially the plot and the way it was executed. This has always been a flaw in Gareth Roberts' writing but he more than makes up for it (again) by injecting ample wit and style into his dialogue, which the actors really do justice here. I did think Catherine Tate slipped into her comedy routine a bit here which does injustice I think to the fantastic way she's developed her character over the last few episodes, but that's a minor complaint.

This is possibly one of the best-directed Doctor Who stories, well... ever. Graeme Harper first directed Doctor Who in 1984, debuting with the truly legendary "The Caves of Androzani" and following that up with the excellent "Revelation of the Daleks". Returning for the revived series of Who with "Rise of the Cybermen", Harper has proved to be one of the best and most unjustly ignored television directors out there. "The Unicorn and the Wasp" succeeds largely thanks to his direction of the episode, as he creates fantastic atmosphere and chooses his shots very carefully and very well.

Fenella Woolgar is terrific here as Agatha Christie herself and the story is just excellent, fun, humorous entertainment all the way through. The CGI effects in series four thus far have been miles ahead of what we've seen previously and the very, very well-done wasp(s) are proof of this. What a memorable and fun tale.

8.5/10
AdnanZ
Stunt Double

Postby El Diablo on Mon May 19, 2008 11:13 pm

I never thought I would be a fan of Doctor Who. The classic just didn't look good to me and I assumed the same would be true of the modern version but after seeing a little of last season, I decided to give this one a full chance and I have been pleasantly surprised to find myself becoming a fan. I think David Tennent is good in the role, although his wide-eyed looks seem annoyingly over-the-top sometimes, and is good at displaying good, serious and emotional facial expressions but has some good comic timing.

I was unsure about Catherine Tate as well, and sometimes that is justified and some of her lines are delivered in an over-the-top fashion and it seems like she sometimes forgets she's not acting in her sketch show anymore, but sometimes she seems to really excel herself and I feel her a far superior actress to the one who plays Martha and I think it's good to have the doctor teamed with someone feisty and more strong-willed and out-spoken than previous companions I have seen. Provides some really good comic moments between the two.

AS for the storylines, I think they are a shining example that we brits can pull out as good, imaginative and well-written story arcs and not just soaps, sit-coms and constant medical dramas.
El Diablo
Stunt Double

Postby AmberSumiko on Tue May 20, 2008 3:30 am

Yess a Dr Who thread!

For me I think Rose and the doctor have the best energy on screen together, but I am liking Donna a lot more than I thought I would. There doesn't always have to be a romantic element, so I do like her goofy persona.
AmberSumiko
Stunt Double

Postby AdnanZ on Tue May 20, 2008 3:34 am

ignore psot
Last edited by AdnanZ on Wed May 21, 2008 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdnanZ
Stunt Double

Postby Rubiks on Tue May 20, 2008 2:21 pm

I haven't minded Catherine Tate until 'The Doctor's Daughter'...when she kept saying "She's yow dawta!" in that irritating voice I wanted to punch her in the face :p Apart from that though she's been all right. A lot better than I was expecting, but then again I had very very low expectations.

Can't wait until the next episode. Steven Moffat wrote the next two and he always writes the best episodes - 'The Empty Child', 'The Doctor Dances', 'The Girl in the Fireplace' and my all-time favourite 'Blink'. Exciting stuff.
How many times do I have to tell you, John!? I always have a plan.
Rubiks
Viewer

Postby Fahd on Wed May 21, 2008 2:59 am

Hi,

- God i'm loving Georgia Moffett ! She's brilliant ! I think she's the best thing that could happen to the show : the "Father / Daughter" relationship between The Doctor and Jenny is very exciting. I didn't like how Rose's storyline have been conducted and, as said AdnanZ, the romantic element shoud have never happend, at least not between a human and a Time-Lord. Jenny will certainly become an important element in the story and i'd really love to see her meet ... Captain Jack Harckness of course ! :o
Fahd
Viewer

Postby AdnanZ on Wed May 21, 2008 5:16 am

Official news: STEVEN MOFFAT HAS TAKEN OVER DOCTOR WHO AND WILL BEGIN TO SERVE AS HEAD WRITER/EXECUTIVE PRODUCER IN 2010!!!

Great news!
AdnanZ
Stunt Double

Postby El Diablo on Wed May 21, 2008 8:42 am

With him being easily the best scribe on the show and writing more episodes and having more of an important role, I see things stepping up a few notches next year.
El Diablo
Stunt Double

Re: [DW] The all-purpose Doctor Who (new series) thread

Postby Dreyesbo on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:08 pm

Phew, and all purpose thread. Exactly what I wanted. I did skipped all the posts above, I don't want to get spoiled.

I just finished watching the first season. The two part finale was awesome, as was the previous inclusion of Capt. Jack (Seriously, is there anyone who doesn't like him?).

I'll watch later the Christmas Special, but I've got a question. Where does Torchwood come in?

Anyways, I'm one of you now :thumbup:
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Re: [DW] The all-purpose Doctor Who (new series) thread

Postby Iceman on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:16 pm

It goes like this:
DW season 1
DW season 2

TW season 1
DW season 3
TW season 2
DW season 4
TW season 3