[Official] Doctor Who Ep. 6.11 Discussion

General discussion for 'Doctor Who / Torchwood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Doctor Who Ep. 6.11 Discussion

Postby Iceman on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:45 pm

The God Complex

The TARDIS lands in what looks like an ordinary hotel, as the time-travelling drama continues. But the walls move, corridors twist and rooms vanish. There is a room for every visitor that contains their deepest, darkest fears. Fears that will kill them. What lies in the Doctor's room? And when his turn comes, will he welcome death like all the rest?

The Doctor is played by Matt Smith, Amy by Karen Gillan, Rory by Arthur Darvill and Gibbis by David Walliams.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Doctor Who Ep. 6.11 Discussion

Postby Sandiwich11 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:19 pm

Loved it, certainly a future classic imo :D Just a few quick thoughts:

* Rubix's Cube again, are we being shown parts of a puzzle?
* What was behind the Doctor's door? My first thought was Doc 12 due to the Cloister Bell, but it could be the astronaut maybe?
* Was there an odd noise again as the TARDIS left Amy and Rory at the end? :hmm:

Follow me on Twitter: Sandiwich11
Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Dreyesbo on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:59 pm

I also noticed the Rubik's cube, it's interesting.

And about the Doctor's door, I don't have any real guesses. But I really like your theory of it being 12. I don't think the Doctor's afraid of dying, so no astronaut or River, and while he hates himself he doesn't fear himself, I think, so it wasn't another 11 there. But I like your theory because 12 isn't really death, but it is a complete change, and it means the loss of 11. It could even tie back to Tennant's run, and his "I don't want to go.". Of course, he knows he won't really die, but he wants to stay like *that* for as long as possible.

Which in turn leads to the Doctor accepting that he'll die, and regenerate, and that that's good, so he goes to Lake Silencio (as a Spanish speaker, I feel dumb for not noticing that earlier), and so whenever his real death happens, he'll be happy and accept it, unlike emo!Tennant. (Not that I didn't like how he went off, but a happy death is more fitting of 11).
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Sandiwich11 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:36 pm

I need to rewatch, but wasn't the Rubix solved and placed in front of the Doc? In the dollhouse episode he threw it away saying he could never do them. If it wasn't so oddly placed I wouldn't be obsessing over it :hmm: :lol:

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Iceman on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:34 am

Where was the rubix cube the first time? I saw it in this episode but not before.

Why did he eat an apple? He hates them :P

How could it be 12? He knew who it was, whatever he saw, and he doesn't know what he's gonna look like. He would know his past selves, but not his future ones.

Thats why 5 didn't recognize 10 etc.

It could have been 11. It could have been the TARDIS from Gaiman's ep, if the Cloister Bell went off, although Im not sure why that would be. It could have been old Amy from The Girl Who Waited, who hated him. It could have been himself in the form of the Dream Lord too. I just don't think it was 12 because he wouldn't have known, imo.

My theory is that it was RTD and Jane brainstorming Miracle Day....
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Dreyesbo on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:46 am

Iceman wrote:Where was the rubix cube the first time? I saw it in this episode but not before.

He found a Rubik's cube on Night Terrors, and said he hated them because he couldn't solve it. And now he had one, solved.

So I guess, it's rule number 1 all over again :P
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Iceman on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:47 am

Dreyesbo wrote:
Iceman wrote:Where was the rubix cube the first time? I saw it in this episode but not before.

He found a Rubik's cube on Night Terrors, and said he hated them because he couldn't solve it. And now he had one, solved.

Oh. It was in Night Terrors.

I try to block that from my mind :P
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Sandiwich11 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Dreyesbo wrote:

Hmmmmm, are we 100% sure that the doctor in this episode is the same Doctor we know? Esp when you think about how the Doctor on the beach didn't know he hated wine already..... :hmm:

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Iceman on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:43 pm

Well maybe, but there wasn't a 10 minute scene dedicated to how much he didnt like wine, and then have him drink it and like it in a later episode, like he did the apple.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Sandiwich11 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:35 pm

Iceman wrote:Well maybe, but there wasn't a 10 minute scene dedicated to how much he didnt like wine, and then have him drink it and like it in a later episode, like he did the apple.

Hmmm, in the food eating and hating scene I'd have to disagree, and say that disliking apples was given as much screen time as him comically spitting wine out in The Lodger :P Either way, both these incidents could mean that there is more than one Doctor :hmm:

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Return to Doctor Who / Torchwood Discussion [No spoilers!]