What are YOU Afraid of?

Chat about all the general off-topic stuff here - News, Advice, Opinions, etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Irrational phobias

Postby VirginiaCreeper on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:53 am

Just curious if and what irrational phobias some of you may have.

Since as far as I can remember, I've had an irrational fear of large water-submerged objects. Both man made and natural.

For example: "Jaws". I have it on DVD and I can hardly touch the case. That cover! :scared: The old "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" ride at Disney World. In fact, I used to love the movie but it freaks me out. A couple of weeks ago I was at a used book sale at my local library and they had a "20,000" movie video for 75 cents. I passed on it, because I knew it would result in at least some mild anxiety if I were to watch it. There was a recent Capital One commercial that spoofed "20,000" and my heart would literally start racing every time it came on and I'd have to change the channel, especially at night or if I was eating something. A year ago I went to a Titanic exhibit where they had actual artifacts on display and was so creeped out by the whole thing. I won't go into natural bodies of water, but I love the ocean. I'd never go scuba diving. This is everything. On the local news a car crashes into a pool, I can hardly look. Footage of the Pearl Harbor memorial give me chills. You get the idea.

Anyway, I was just doing some online research on this and couldn't find a whole lot.

I'm hoping someone here shares this with me or has an equally ridiculous phobia to make me feel better about my own.
VirginiaCreeper
Star Billing

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Irrational phobias

Postby zeek on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:00 am

I'm afraid I don't share your fear of large submerged objects...

But I do have a strange fear. Heights... I can stand on top of a building and feel fine, but stick me six feet high looking down and I'm terrified of falling.

So not so much heights as small heights :(
zeek
Emmy Winner

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:02 am

Great idea for a thread! :D I bet there's gonna be some good ones from the crowd we've got here. :whistle:

I can't think of one at the moment, but I'm sure it'll come to me soon enough. :)
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Postby Fivebretz on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:08 am

I am terrified of the ocean. or any deep water.

Oh, and electric shocks, like those joke pens you get, and those concentration games. My friends torture me with those things :(
Fivebretz
Emmy Nominee

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:08 am

zeek wrote:I'm afraid I don't share your fear of large submerged objects...

But I do have a strange fear. Heights... I can stand on top of a building and feel fine, but stick me six feet high looking down and I'm terrified of falling.

So not so much heights as small heights :(

I was going to post heights too but I didn't think it was irrational so... :blush:

But man, if I don't feel secure and I'm higher than my actual height, I freak out. For example, ladders scare the hell outta me. But I've gone para-sailing and was absolutely fine. I guess cause I was strapped into something and had that secure, I'm not going anywhere feeling.
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Postby VirginiaCreeper on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:14 am

Fivebretz wrote:I am terrified of the ocean. or any deep water.

Oh, and electric shocks, like those joke pens you get, and those concentration games. My friends torture me with those things :(

Deep water, but no objects in the water, huh?

I agree with Concentration! Operation as well. :lol:
VirginiaCreeper
Star Billing

Postby zeek on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:17 am

Thirty-Fiver, I sympathize completely! I'm the same I guess. Think it's only irrational because you can stand stuff like parasailing but hate ladders!

I jumped off my shed last week but got nervous with a ladder the other day :(
zeek
Emmy Winner

Postby Iceman on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:22 am

Im not scared of ANYTHING :sunglasses: :ninjastar:

No, I'm kidding where do I begin.......

Oh God, just thinking about it makes me cringe. My BIGGEST one, is being buried alive. :scared: :bored: :cry:

I have some others too, like any food that is an oxymoron... Jumbo Shrimp, Chicken Fried Steak, Non-Alcoholic Beer, Vegetarian Burger :bored: :bored: ...etc :PP (This is a joke people, relax :| )
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby CaseyCasey87 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:24 am

Iceman815 wrote:Im not scared of ANYTHING :sunglasses: :ninjastar:

No, I'm kidding where do I begin.......

Oh God, just thinking about it makes me cringe. My BIGGEST one, is being buried alive. :scared: :bored: :cry:

I have some others too, like any food that is an oxymoron... Jumbo Shrimp, Chicken Fried Steak, Non-Alcoholic Beer, Vegetarian Burger :bored: :bored: ...etc :PP (This is a joke people, relax :| )

I'm totally with you on the buried alive issue :unsure:
"HE IS BOB, EAGER FOR FUN.... WEARS A SMILE, EVERYBODY RUN...."- Phillip Gerrard

Either Conuley or against us basically...

I have a tiny font size
CaseyCasey87
Emmy Nominee

Postby zeek on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:26 am

A question in case it happens: How do you commit suicide if you're buried alive in a coffin??

*Thinking about CSI with Nick*
zeek
Emmy Winner

Postby Iceman on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:29 am

zeek wrote:*Thinking about CSI with Nick*

Im not gonna derail the thread too much, but I could barely watch that episode. I had to look away from the tv and take deep breaths when Nick was shown :lol:

Anyway, to get back on topic, I hate heights, too. Small ones I am ok with, (like the second floor of a house) but big ones like skyscrapers I freak :scared:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:36 am

I too am afraid of any heights. Period. :bored:

And i won't ever go swimming in the ocean or a lake... i always get the feeling theres like some huge giant shark fish thing underneath me and it freaks me out. :unsure:

And one i'm not sure a lot of people have... being tickled... mainly being tickled by a feather... the thought of it makes me cringe ::sad::
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby CaseyCasey87 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:39 am

bigsimpsin wrote:And one i'm not sure a lot of people have... being tickled... mainly being tickled by a feather... the thought of it makes me cringe ::sad::

Nicole will back me up on this, in somewhat of a tickly manner, i have an irrational fear of people putting their hands in under my armpits!! she used to torture me with it!! :scared: :cry: :D
"HE IS BOB, EAGER FOR FUN.... WEARS A SMILE, EVERYBODY RUN...."- Phillip Gerrard

Either Conuley or against us basically...

I have a tiny font size
CaseyCasey87
Emmy Nominee

Postby DharmaLady on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:48 am

Ok, my fears are totally irrational and really really weird. I am terrified of the Phil Collins song In the Air Tonight. When I was like 5 or so, my mom, her friend, my brother and my mom's friend's daughter were going somewhere and it was dark and a full moon. When we got to wherever it was we were going, that song was on the radio. We went to get out and I looked over and the daughter was staring...well, she was actually asleep with her eyes open. It creeped me out so bad that now everytime I hear it, I freak.

I'm also very very scared of the Michael Jackson song Thriller. I was really little and a bunch of the older kids at daycare were watching the video. When he looks up at the end with those creepy eyes...oh Lord, I just shivered thinking about it. I can't hear the song.

And....I fear fish. It's all Don Knots' fault. The Incredible Mr. Limpet, the cartoon with the fish, scares the crap out of me. I have to have someone tear the label off Starkist Tuna before I'll touch it. I used to clean houses and this one house had a bunch of beta fish in seperate containers in their bathroom. I actually got fired because I couldn't go in there. :blush:
DHARMA LADY, HOW’VE YOU BEEN?
ARE WE LOVERS (OR ARE WE JUST FRIENDS?)
I BELIEVE, I BELIEVE I’M IN LOVE AGAIN
DharmaLady
Stunt Double

Postby Iceman on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:51 am

Oh I forgot one:

Rosie O'Donnell. :|
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.