What will happen to Japan now?

Chat about all the general off-topic stuff here - News, Advice, Opinions, etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: What will happen to Japan now?

Postby Woongo on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:47 pm

I am concerned about it as well. Japan is very important to the world and with all this stuff happening, it will not only affect Japan, but the whole world.
I have hope, though, that everything will be OK and after some time the Japanese people will manage to continue their normal lives.
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

Woongo
Supporting Actor

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Broyles on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:50 pm

It's a terrible tragedy what is taking place in Japan. The images we've all seen on tv and the internet, hardly do it justice. Can you imagine, within a day your entire city is reduced to rubble? Millions of people without power (and it's cold right now in Japan). Millions without food or water. People bleeding to death from injuries sustained during the quake or the tsunami flood. Thousands of people missing. That is sheer terror. That is a nightmare.

I've donated money to the Red Cross and plan to donate blood, although I don't think blood donations here in the US will be sent to Japan (I'm not sure how that works).

I encourage everyone to donate what you can. Pull out your credit card and send them a few dollars.

On a positive note, although it is difficult to see how, this may be one of the desperately needed sparks for the economy. Thousands of jobs will be available for the clean up effort and rebuilding of Japan.

But this is make-or-break times. I've read so much nonsense people have been posting about this being the "end-of-days" or "the beginning of Armageddon" or "the horn sounding from the book of revelations." It's frustrating to think that all that sort of fear-based propaganda does is cause massive panic, which of course only makes things worse.

If you were drowning, how comforting would it be for someone to come upon you and instead of diving in to help you they started shouting, "You're gonna die! You're gonna die! This is it! You're gonna die!!" Would that be helpful?

Many people start going back to that ridiculous notion that this is the beginning of the "2012 End of the world" prophecy: The earthquake in New Zealand. The protests in Libya and Egypt. The economy in the slumps..." But it's all fear-based propaganda. That's not to say these things are major concerns. But, again, if you're scared you're more likely to allow yourself to be coerced to do something.
Broyles
Stunt Double

Postby melanie14 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:08 am

Well, if there was a god around to do anything I would think those 50 workers could have taken off several days ago and saved themselves a lot of radiation poisoning while selflessly trying to lessen the impact on their country.
melanie14
Viewer

Postby Woongo on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:34 pm

Strange, it says I have created this topic, I'm sure it was only my reply to it. :S
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

Woongo
Supporting Actor

Return to General Discussion