[OFFICIAL] Torchwood Spoilers and Speculation Thread

Spoiler discussion for 'Doctor Who / Torchwood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: [TW] The Future of Torchwood

Postby Bella on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:40 pm

I didn't expect that it would ever be considered Torchwood USA S1, even if it moved to the States. I assumed that, regardless of where it ended up, it would be Torchwood S4. My point is that I'm still wondering whether or it will be US-based -- meaning where it's filmed, where it takes place, etc. After all, Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner both moved here after leaving Who. If they're still here, and the filming moves here, then this is more of a US-based show and Starz will have more input than the BBC. If not, and it stays in Cardiff and resumes filming as it always had, that's better news.

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
Bella
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Iceman on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Bella wrote:I didn't expect that it would ever be considered Torchwood USA S1, even if it moved to the States. I assumed that, regardless of where it ended up, it would be Torchwood S4. My point is that I'm still wondering whether or it will be US-based -- meaning where it's filmed, where it takes place, etc. After all, Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner both moved here after leaving Who. If they're still here, and the filming moves here, then this is more of a US-based show and Starz will have more input than the BBC. If not, and it stays in Cardiff and resumes filming as it always had, that's better news.

Well it has been considered 2 different shows. Like "CSI" and "CSI NY" look at IMDb:

I hope its not US based, and I don't think it will be. If they leave Cardiff, I hope they travel to lots of different places instead of just going to one other city.

Edit: And besides, RTD is in LA, and the 4th season of SJA is still being filmed/edited/produced etc in Britain, and RTD is very much a part of that show still.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Bella on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:47 pm

Well, IMDB is not flawless. It's often listed things inaccurately, so who knows how legit that was.

But, anyway, my hope is that it's back using Cardiff as its homebase, and that it simply travels elsewhere for episodes. Basically, I want the BBC to have control, rather than Starz -- although Starz is ten million times better than FOX, so we dodged a bullet there.

Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby Iceman on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:52 pm

Yeah, IMDb is not always accurate, but they weren't the only ones calling it separate. That is just the fastest site I could get a screencap of lol

The series has been commissioned by Controller BBC ONE, Jay Hunt, Controller BBC Drama, Ben Stephenson, and Starz President and CEO, Chris Albrecht.

BBC is like the big brother that let the little brother (Starz) play with him. So BBC does have more say it looks like.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Bella on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Iceman815 wrote:Yeah, IMDb is not always accurate, but they weren't the only ones calling it separate. That is just the fastest site I could get a screencap of lol

The series has been commissioned by Controller BBC ONE, Jay Hunt, Controller BBC Drama, Ben Stephenson, and Starz President and CEO, Chris Albrecht.

BBC is like the big brother that let the little brother (Starz) play with him. So BBC does have more say it looks like.

*fingers crossed*

I'm just really happy we have confirmation and something to look forward to. :D

Wonder what the new characters will be like. Too bad Freema Agyeman is tied up on some other show - it would've been so cool to bring Martha and Mickey on full-time.

Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby Iceman on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:59 pm

Bella wrote:*fingers crossed*

I'm just really happy we have confirmation and something to look forward to. :D

Wonder what the new characters will be like. Too bad Freema Agyeman is tied up on some other show - it would've been so cool to bring Martha and Mickey on full-time.

That'd be nice, but if they are trying to grab new fans I doubt they will come on full time, still hoping for a guest appearance though.

Oh and about your earlier inquiry: Im sure Kai will be part of the show, I think they just meant Barrowman and Eve being the staples while we get new cast members too. Kai will be a supporting/guest role - hopefully.

If they end of travelling a lot I could see Rhys being the "Stay-at-home-dad-what-the-hell-do-I-do-with-this-baby" comic relief though......
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Bella on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Yeah, that'd be cool. He was bumped to starring status for COE, so there's a chance that could continue for s4 -- but I'd be happy just having him back in the supporting role. Their having a baby will definitely change things up.

Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby Iceman on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:06 pm

It being 10 episodes makes me think its going to have 2 story arcs. 5 episodes a story like CoE.

Btw, sandi pointed this out to me earlier: Being Human filming was moved to Cardiff, she joked that it was so Russell Tovey could film both BH and TW. Then she said it was just cause the stunt people were based up there or something, but she might have been more right than she thought lol.

If it is filmed in the US (which I doubt) then I Kai and Russell definitely won't be in it. Neither will guest appearances by Freema or Noel. They have too much going on in Britain.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Bella on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Haha, I doubt BH moved its entire set-up for Russell Tovey -- awesome as it would be to have him on both shows. But he's one of the three main stars on BH, so I can't see that happening.

However, RTD loooooooves RT, so I could definitely see Alonso making an appearance or two -- especially since he's probably slept with Jack, by now.

:lol:

Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby Iceman on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:43 pm

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2 ... vies-.html

THR: So it will take place in the UK and the US?

Albrecht: As well as other locations.

It's very much the next step. It's not a new version, it's not a reboot. We're simply moving countries.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Bella on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:13 pm

http://airlockalpha.com/node/7502

Unlike the first three seasons, "Torchwood" will no longer be based in Cardiff, Wales, where it's filmed. Instead, production will be on-location in various places throughout the world, including locations in the United States.

:D

It's likely the American run of "Torchwood" will first be aired on Starz or sister channel Encore, which would make "Torchwood" a premium cable series, much less accessible than its previous home of BBC America in the United States. The release did not state where "Torchwood" would air, but it's highly unlikely Starz would be involved unless they were getting broadcast rights.

:unsure:

Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby Iceman on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Bella wrote:
It's likely the American run of "Torchwood" will first be aired on Starz or sister channel Encore, which would make "Torchwood" a premium cable series, much less accessible than its previous home of BBC America in the United States. The release did not state where "Torchwood" would air, but it's highly unlikely Starz would be involved unless they were getting broadcast rights.

American run, is not American version. The "American run" of Doctor Who is on BBC America right now, and just aired "Amy's Choice" on Saturday. So don't worry :D
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby theotherslover on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:18 pm

YAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!
I am so happy that it is starting from COE.
But we have to wait a year???
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby Bella on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:23 pm

Iceman815 wrote:
Bella wrote:

American run, is not American version. The "American run" of Doctor Who is on BBC America right now, and just aired "Amy's Choice" on Saturday. So don't worry :D

:rofl: You're very good at wishful thinking, Matt. :PP

Anyway, I'm just happy it's still filming in Cardiff. That means it's still predominantly in the BBC's hands.

Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby Iceman on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Bella wrote: :rofl: You're very good at wishful thinking, Matt. :PP

Anyway, I'm just happy it's still filming in Cardiff. That means it's still predominantly in the BBC's hands.

Umm, it's not wishful thinking, that's what it means.

If I said: "The American run of Torchwood: Children of Earth originally aired on BBC America". That means they ran it in America, not created it.

And yeah, I thought it would be filmed over there. It makes sense.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who / Torchwood Spoilers