Question About...

Spoiler discussion for 'Doctor Who / Torchwood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Question About...

Postby Bella on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:06 pm

...River Song.

So, I know she'll back in a couple of episodes, but I'm concerned about a plot hole and I hope they'll fix it.

When River met up with a confused Ten in S4, she commented on how young he was, and that she was used to a much older incarnation. How, then, will they explain the fact that she also knew him as Eleven -- who, physically speaking, is even younger than Ten?

You could argue that she meant his actual/spiritual age, not his apparent/physical one, but even so -- not much time has elapsed since his regeneration from Ten to Eleven by the time she meets him again in S5, so it can't be that, either.

Thoughts?

I'm guessing they wrote her lines in SIL before casting Matt Smith, but that makes me wonder why they decided to bring her back, anyway?

I'm being a stickler, I know. :blush:

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
Bella
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Question About...

Postby theotherslover on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:13 pm

I have the same question and I can only assume we will be getting the answer sometime soon. When it comes to the physical age of the doctor, she must understand that what she sees on the outside is not the same age. They often make reference to the eyes of the doctor being older. That could be something that she is talking about.
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby Bella on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:24 pm

theotherslover wrote:I have the same question and I can only assume we will be getting the answer sometime soon. When it comes to the physical age of the doctor, she must understand that what she sees on the outside is not the same age. They often make reference to the eyes of the doctor being older. That could be something that she is talking about.

I considered that, but she'll be seeing Eleven not very long after his regeneration from Ten -- so it's not like so much time has passed that he has another lifetime of experiences behind those eyes. Know what I mean?

Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby theotherslover on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:06 pm

Yeah I know what you mean. Hmm, I really don't know. That is a big plot hole. It's not enormous but it is still there, especially when bringing back a character. Do you have any guesses on how they would do it.
ImageImage
theotherslover
Show Expert

Postby Bella on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:33 pm

theotherslover wrote:Yeah I know what you mean. Hmm, I really don't know. That is a big plot hole. It's not enormous but it is still there, especially when bringing back a character. Do you have any guesses on how they would do it.

No clue. I think they'll just pretend that whole "You're so young" conversation in SIL never happened... :unsure:

Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby b3rt4 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:56 pm

I'm guessing it has something to do with the weeping angels. Not sure what tho. :PP

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby Iceman on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:00 pm

A few things.

One. 11 acts old. You see it when he says he kept the close in 5.01, and in 5.02 when he waved his finger at Amy. You will see it more so in the next episode. He is described as an old man in a young body. As opposed to Tennant who was so youthful all the time. Could just be an observation of character.

Two. River obviously knew him intimately. Whether as a relative (if you believe the Time Lady rumors. If you do, don't tell me, because I will make fun of you :P) a friend or a lover. She knew his name, so they obviously talked in depth about a lot of things.

Three. As others said Moffat could explain it in a future episode. Who knows. But I think that comment could be explained. Maybe not explicitly, but it's definitely not just a random thing.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby littlefoo20 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:03 am

Iceman815 wrote:A few things.

One. 11 acts old. You see it when he says he kept the close in 5.01, and in 5.02 when he waved his finger at Amy. You will see it more so in the next episode. He is described as an old man in a young body. As opposed to Tennant who was so youthful all the time. Could just be an observation of character.

I couldn't put my finger on what it is that I liked about Matt Smith as the Doctor. But I think you describing him as an old man in a young body is a bullseye. Plus, I found Tennant's Kissing/acting quite distracting. (Yeah, who am I kidding! I liked it.) I guess I just took it to mean that the Doctor's in a good looking body and just making the most of it. :thumbsup:

Back to Matt Smith... Loved his performance in the first two episodes so far. He has become the Doctor for me now. Gee, I feel like I'm betraying No. Ten.
littlefoo20
Guest Star

Postby MccKate on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:54 pm

I know it doesn't quite answer your post but I always wonder where Riversong is based in time. For example, we know that Amy is based in 2010 so to speak, because
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
we first saw her go off with the 11th Dr on the eve of her Wedding (25/06/10) and then when history was rewritten for her in the series finale she woke up on the next morning (26/06/10).
Could this therefore, have any effect on David Tennant seeming to be 'so young' where as Matt Smith is commented on.

If only we could read her blue book!!

Follow me on Twitter!
MccKate
Show Expert

Postby Joshua on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:41 pm

The plot hole I see is...

The Doctor's timeline is the only one that matters right? Time is full of timey wimeys, but everything Doctors 1-10 have been through, 11 has been through?

So how can River have done things with 10 before SIL? Or hasn't she? I get confusified :(
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby Iceman on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:06 pm

PenguinJosh wrote:So how can River have done things with 10 before SIL? Or hasn't she? I get confusified :(

Remember we dont see every adventure of them on screen. River could have had 6-7 more adventures with 10 for all we know. If you go by The Doctor's linear timeline, SiL is the first time he met River. But if you watch the episode, she goes through the list and says "Have we done Crash of the Byzantium yet?" which is the 11 Weeping Angel story.

And who knows, the Doctor that could have given her the Sonic Screwdriver could be 12 or 13 :P

Also, if she has a Vortex Manipulator now, she could go back to any Doctor. Time can be rewritten.

If that made you cross eyed, then just ignore it and read this:

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey :D
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Joshua on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Lol Ice you make sense in a weird way :D
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby Dreyesbo on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Haha, after the paradox of the Doctor saving himself out of the Pandorica, I just kept repeating to myself "Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey".... :PP Only way I don't get mad at a paradox.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Iceman on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:44 pm

PenguinJosh wrote:Lol Ice you make sense in a weird way :D

It's hell inside my head :(
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Sandiwich11 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:24 pm

Bella wrote:
theotherslover wrote:I have the same question and I can only assume we will be getting the answer sometime soon. When it comes to the physical age of the doctor, she must understand that what she sees on the outside is not the same age. They often make reference to the eyes of the doctor being older. That could be something that she is talking about.

I considered that, but she'll be seeing Eleven not very long after his regeneration from Ten -- so it's not like so much time has passed that he has another lifetime of experiences behind those eyes. Know what I mean?

It could have been 50 years or more for all we know thou; the episodes we see on screen are not the only adventures that happen. Some are told in the novels/radio plays/comics, but there are supposedly just as many that are never told in any medium. Plus we saw on screen that 10 spent an unknown amount of time travelling alone between WoM and TEoT.

As mentioned already, 11 does seem a lot older than 10. Smith is written, and acts, like he is 900 years old plus which RTD and DT didn't really show in their incarnation. Ultimately thou I think that River was referring to experience. She hinted that the Doctor was destined for great things in his future/her past; that great armies would run terrified from him for example or that the TARDIS would open when he clicked his fingers.

I can't wait to see their story unfold, it's gonna be a roller-coaster :thumbsup:

Follow me on Twitter: Sandiwich11
Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Next

Return to Doctor Who / Torchwood Spoilers