21%
No
21%
No
21%

Total votes : 52

Rumour: Is Matt Smith Leaving?

Postby lost on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:43 am

Here in the UK Betting Companies have suddenly dropped the odds ont he actor leaving from 6/1 to 9/2. That's quite a drop in terms of odds, the bookies don't normally get things wrong.

David Morrissey, who appeared in the 2008 Who Christmas special, is favourite to replace him at 4/1.

Do you think Matt will leave? If so who would you like to replace him?

Read more: http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/06/doctor-who-is-matt-smith-leaving.html

So what do you guys think, will it be a Christopher Ecccleston leaving after one series or will Matt continue to hold the mantle of the doctor? Personally I can't see him leaving just yet and regarding betting odds well they can change all the time, they may have had a flurry of bets that he is going to leave which would force the bookies to slash odds.

For a new doctor I'd take a relatively unknown again like Matt I think, can't think of anyone well known that I'd want in the role.

*UPDATE*

Here are further details;

Matt Smith on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross
Rex Features
Bookmaker William Hill has slashed the odds of Doctor Who star Matt Smith being axed from the role, after the show suffered a drop in ratings.

Odds on the actor leaving have been cut from 6/1 to 9/2. David Morrissey - who appeared as Jackson Lake in the 2008 Who Christmas special - is favourite to replace him at 4/1. James Corden - who made a guest appearance in the most recent series - has seen the biggest rise, with his odds changing from 100/1 to 25/1.

However, William Hill's spokesman Rupert Adams backed Smith to return.

"The viewing figures were disappointing but Doctor Who was up against the World Cup and sunny skies, so we think Matt will survive the disappointment." he said.

Odds of 66/1 were also given on former Who star Christopher Eccleston returning to the series. Other actors in the bookmaker's list include Chiwetel Ejiofor at 5/1, James Nesbitt at 12/1 and Stephen Fry at 50/1.
lost
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Rumour: Is Matt Smith Leaving?

Postby Sandiwich11 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:39 am

I was a bit worried by this yesterday, but it's been revealed to be a scam thank goodness. Someone set up a page that would redirect to the William Hill site where you could sign up to get a free £/$30 bet. This gave the spammer a redirection hit from their page so WH had to pay them a fee. After you signed up it became obvious that none of the bets actually existed.

Funnily enough, since all this was revealed WH have now put up odds on Smith staying or leaving, presumably they got a lot of hits and realised the potential :rofl:

Follow me on Twitter: Sandiwich11
Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Iceman on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 pm

No.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Bella on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:24 am

Nope.

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby lost on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:28 am

Not looking it no, but if next seasons ratings are as bad I think they might :/
lost
Show Expert

Postby Sandiwich11 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:23 pm

This series's rating aren't bad at all, only the over nights are but that's due to the weather and the footie. It's the top watched serial on TV, the only thing that *just* beats it is a few of the Eastenders episodes. As far as I know he has a 3 year contract and with how popular Smith is over here I can't see them wanting to break that :)

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Nuggen on Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:14 pm

Good grief, I hope not! I like him and am just getting over TENnant!
All of time and space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
Nuggen
Stunt Double

Postby Rosalind on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:32 am

According to this snippet Matt Smith isn't leaving us!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... illan.html
In Short :

Karen Gillan, who plays Amy Pond, the assistant to Matt Smith's Doctor Who, has reassuring news for his fans. The actor isn't about to decamp to Los Angeles.
"Matt will be sticking around," she told me at the Veuve Clicquot Gold Cup Final at Cowdray Park Polo Club yesterday. "I think those rumours were made up."

Karen, left, added that she and Smith have started filming the Doctor Who Christmas special, and adds that the atmosphere on the set is "great."

Phew!
Thanks to Spaceman for the sig
Rosalind
Forum Moderator

Postby b3rt4 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:26 pm

Okay, this might be a stupid question... but the Doctor can only regenerate 13(?) times afaik... so will the show be over forever when that has happened?

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby Iceman on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:56 pm

b3rt4 wrote:Okay, this might be a stupid question... but the Doctor can only regenerate 13(?) times afaik... so will the show be over forever when that has happened?

That's what people are wondering.

Rumor is that Moffat has a way to change that, but that is indeed canon as of now.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Sandiwich11 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:14 pm

12 regenerations, 13 personalities. With Moff being such a fanboy I think he will address it, thou you can argue the fact that since Gallifrey was lost in the time war the rule doesn't count anymore I don't think the fans would be happy with that :lol:

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby b3rt4 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Hm okay, thanks :)

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby Bella on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:03 pm

This has come up before, and people always suggest there are ways to circumvent the whole 13-cycles thing.

Twitter / YouTube Channel

:) STV Podcast co-host :)
Bella
Senior Moderator

Postby Iceman on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Bella wrote:This has come up before, and people always suggest there are ways to circumvent the whole 13-cycles thing.

Of course there is. But Moffat just has to pick a suitable one, lol.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby Sandiwich11 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:22 pm

Again this is only 'an anonymous insider' talking to the press, but at least the paper if far more credible than The Sun XD

DESPITE reports that he was set to leave Doctor Who after just one more series, Day & Night can exclusively reveal that Matt Smith is to stay on until the show’s 50th anniversary in three years. BBC insiders now say moves are afoot to sign up the actor, 27, until 2013.

“The current team believe that Matt is the person to continue taking the show forward over the next few years and want to avoid the prospect of fans having to get used to yet another actor in the role in the near future,” says our show mole.

“Matt has made it clear he’s keen to commit himself to the series for the long-term.”
He took over from the hugely popular David Tennant at the beginning of the year and has won rave reviews.
A spokeswoman for the show says: “From Matt’s point of view he’s loving playing the part and has no plans to quit. We aren’t in a position to provide a comment as to whether he’ll be playing the part in 2013.”

Source

Great news :thumbsup:

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Next

Return to Doctor Who / Torchwood Spoilers