[DW] The New Doctor

Spoiler discussion for 'Doctor Who / Torchwood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

[DW] The New Doctor

Postby Sandiwich11 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:21 pm

I found this short article over at digitalspy - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a15226 ... cript.html I think there's gonna be a lot of upset people when we all see the death of the 10th Doctor, if he cried then I'm steeling myself for a roller-coaster ride through these specials.

What's everyone else's thoughts on Tennant leaving, and what do you make of the 11th Doctor? I've read that he's nervous about taking over, and I can see why. Tennant has become one of the most popular Doctors ever, his love of the show and the character can clearly be seen in the way he plays him. Smith on the other hand has admitted that he rarely watches the show

I wasn’t a Who fan. I have to be honest — I can’t claim to have watched the show in its entirety or have been a follower as avidly as some people are. I’m realising that people love this show, people are avid, avid fans of it, and know it, and know its history, and are part of it.

On the other hand, I do have complete faith in Steven Moffat who is taking over from Russell T Davies at the same time as the Doctor regenerates. He is probably an even bigger life long fan than Tennant or Davies which shows in the episodes he has written, and he must have had a hand in casting Smith. I have never seen him in anything thou, so it's hard to put so much blind trust into them having made the best choice. Anyone seen him in anything?

Follow me on Twitter: Sandiwich11
Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [DW] The New Doctor

Postby Annie on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Tennant said upcoming Easter special Planet Of The Dead would be a "kind of a romp" and "the last time The Doctor gets to have fun" before the dark ending.

OH MY GOSH :scared:

“What’s the best thing to do if you’re being attacked by a Cyberman?”
“Hide in a drawer and snog Owen.”
Annie
Stunt Double

Postby Sandiwich11 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:38 pm

I know, I think we're in for a bumpy ride from here on :cry:

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby LittleTiger on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:57 pm

I am going to reserve judgment on Matt Smith until I see him in the role....

He seems to be a fairly new actor and apparently was/is in BBC Two's new crime drama Moses Jones. (I don't get to see UK TV anymore :( )

I really wish Tennant could have stayed....or we had the previous Dr back (I was sad when he left also).
LittleTiger
Stunt Double

Postby Sandiwich11 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:48 pm

LittleTiger wrote:I am going to reserve judgment on Matt Smith until I see him in the role....

He seems to be a fairly new actor and apparently was/is in BBC Two's new crime drama Moses Jones. (I don't get to see UK TV anymore :( )

I really wish Tennant could have stayed....or we had the previous Dr back (I was sad when he left also).

I think I'm gonna have be really geeky and try to find some stuff that Smith has been in, I'm desperate to know that he will be good in the role :lol:

I really wish Tennant could stay too, but I also understand that leaving on a high is the best thing for his character *kicks common sense*

The strange thing is that I don't remember getting this upset when other Doctors regenerated when I was a kid, if anything it was more exciting. I don't know whether this is because we are able to discuss/speculate more freely through boards like this, there is certainly a lot more spoiler info out there these days than there was back then. Or it could be that the Doctors they choose back then were already more well known, I knew who Peter Davidson/Sylvester McCoy/etc were before they became Doctors so it was easier to see how they would slot in.

Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby The Strog on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:42 pm

sandi wrote:I found this short article over at digitalspy - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a15226 ... cript.html I think there's gonna be a lot of upset people when we all see the death of the 10th Doctor, if he cried then I'm steeling myself for a roller-coaster ride through these specials.

Yeah. I saw that too. If the ending of Journey's End made you cry, imagine this... :(

What's everyone else's thoughts on Tennant leaving, and what do you make of the 11th Doctor? I've read that he's nervous about taking over, and I can see why. Tennant has become one of the most popular Doctors ever, his love of the show and the character can clearly be seen in the way he plays him. Smith on the other hand has admitted that he rarely watches the show

I wasn’t a Who fan. I have to be honest — I can’t claim to have watched the show in its entirety or have been a follower as avidly as some people are. I’m realising that people love this show, people are avid, avid fans of it, and know it, and know its history, and are part of it.

Actually, I don't really have a problem with him not watching the show. I don't think Tom Baker or Christopher Eccleston were big fans of the show, either, before they started. I still doubt that Ecceleston is. I just can't picture him at home on Saturdays watching DW for some reason. :lol:

And I think it's kinda valid in Smith's case. I mean, DW wasn't exactly in its golden age when Smith was growing up. By the time he was of proper DW interest age, the show had been canned. Then, you also have to take into consideration that he's an actor so he's probably not at home when the show airs. So I don't really blame him for not being a fan.

On the other hand, I do have complete faith in Steven Moffat who is taking over from Russell T Davies at the same time as the Doctor regenerates. He is probably an even bigger life long fan than Tennant or Davies which shows in the episodes he has written, and he must have had a hand in casting Smith.

If you can, track down a copy of the DW Confidential episode "Do you remember the first time." It's all about people in the UK who work in the film industry, who say they wouldn't be doing what they do if it wouldn't have been for DW.

Moffat is one of those interviewed (along with RTD, Mark Gatiss, DT, some others I can't think of) and his passion for the show clearly shines through. You can tell the man has been waiting his whole life for a chance at running DW, and I agree with you-- he's not gonna let us down.

And on the subject of casting...I think Moffat wanted an older Doctor, mid to late 40s...but Smith was so good that he changed his mind.

So here's hoping. :)
If you don't like Doctor Who, click here. If you love Doctor Who, click here. After you've clicked one of those, come here.

Tune in for PSYCH
RETURNING THIS SUMMER ON USA NETWORK
The Strog
Former Staff Member

Postby Rosalind on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:57 pm

I've watched Doctor who since the eighties, and everytime a change came up everyone was gutted and thought the new doctor was going to be the wrong choice.

We were obviously correct with Sylvester Macoy (rubbish).

I know I'm going to get upset when Tennant goes, i have a soft spot\ crush on him :blush: ...

hhmmm, if anyone gets a chance to see Charlie Brooker's extended Screenwipe (Season 5 episode 3) watch it-
he talks to Russell T Davis about how he wrote the last seasons of DrWho too which gives a really good insight... :thumbup:
Thanks to Spaceman for the sig
Rosalind
Forum Moderator

Return to Doctor Who / Torchwood Spoilers