Cyborg cat walks on bionic feet

Embrace your inner geek! Become one with the world of Science & Technology.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Cyborg cat walks on bionic feet

Postby DarkUFO on Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:39 pm

Surgeons have grafted bone-like metal prostheses onto the legs of a cat who lost its feet in a horrible accident. Now Oscar can walk again. Cat lovers may want tissues at the ready - things are about to get heartwarming.

Oscar is a cat from the British isle of Jersey who lost his back feet last October when he was run over by a combine harvester while dozing outside. His owner's local vet referred him to Surrey veterinarian Noel Fitzpatrick, whose work with bionic grafts is explored in the upcoming BBC series The Bionic Vet.

http://io9.com/5572364/cyborg-cat-walks-on-bionic-feet
DarkUFO
Administrator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Cyborg cat walks on bionic feet

Postby JacobsMom on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:12 pm

I saw this picture and story in our local paper the other day. This cat looks so much like our own black cat! It is just amazing what technology is out there! :)
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Re: Cyborg cat walks on bionic feet

Postby mom on Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:22 pm

awww sweet story Oscar is a very lucky kitty! This will lead to use on humans, I found it interesting the way they grafted the prostheses and now the skin and bone are growing directly in/on it. I should think it won't be much time until this is used on humans. Thanks Dark for sharing :)

Thanks to zeek for the most awesome signature!
mom
Emmy Nominee

Location: In the sky with Lucy visting Sadie hope I don`t get a ticket from Rita.

Return to Science & Technology