Dark matter building up inside Sun ?

Embrace your inner geek! Become one with the world of Science & Technology.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Dark matter building up inside Sun ?

Postby DarkUFO on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:07 pm

A new study has suggested that dark matter could be building up within our own Sun.

The sun could be a net for dark matter, a new study suggests. If dark matter happens to take a certain specific form, it could build up in our nearest star and alter how heat moves inside it in a way that would be observable from Earth.

Dark matter is the mysterious stuff that makes up about 83 percent of the matter in the universe, but doesn’t interact with electromagnetic forces.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/ ... atter-sun/
DarkUFO
Administrator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Dark matter building up inside Sun ?

Postby Two Sides on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:45 pm

I have never got the whole Dark matter thing :S or any sort of matter... :( Guess i should research.

What effect would it have on us, in any? or is that all part of the mystery of dark matter? O.o
HannaK wrote:I've found my Sawyer to Juliet tbh :wub: :D
Two Sides
Oscar Winner

Postby mom on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Very interesting if these light weight Dark Matter particles do help bring the heat faster from the Sun will it burn out quicker? Will it alter our weather patterns? I tend to believe everything is connected in the Universe and wonder what this could mean? I need to read about the Germanium hockey puck now as well. Thanks Dark way to make me think entirely too much too early this morning :P

Thanks to zeek for the most awesome signature!
mom
Emmy Nominee

Location: In the sky with Lucy visting Sadie hope I don`t get a ticket from Rita.

Postby Devil's Arcade on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:34 pm

If it's just bringing the heat faster, it doesn't mean that the sun will be warmer. Therefor it won't burn out quicker.

I read somewhere that the suns light gets to us in 8 minutes? That is crazy - I thought it was have been a lot longer than that - I suppose though, The Sun is the closest start to us, isn't it? - And that if the sun blew up (obviously we wouldn't be able to survive this haha) we would see it eight minutes after it happened and hear it 14 years later!
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Postby Two Sides on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:57 pm

DA that is crazy!!! As odd as this might sound, I would like to witness the sun blow up... And hear it :o
HannaK wrote:I've found my Sawyer to Juliet tbh :wub: :D
Two Sides
Oscar Winner

Return to Science & Technology