New Estimate is 100 million habital planets in the Milky Way

Embrace your inner geek! Become one with the world of Science & Technology.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

New Estimate is 100 million habital planets in the Milky Way

Postby DarkUFO on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:47 pm

NASA Kepler Space Telescope has 700 Planet Candidates and Many are Earthlike and the New Estimate is 100 million habital planets in the Milky Way

NASA's Kepler spacecraft hunting for Earth-like planets around other stars has found 706 candidates for potential alien worlds while gazing at more than 156,000 stars packed into a single patch of the sky.

Kepler will continue conducting science operations until at least November 2012, searching for planets as small as Earth, including those that orbit stars in a warm, habitable zone where liquid water could exist on the surface of the planet. Since transits of planets in the habitable zone of solar-like stars occur about once a year and require three transits for verification, it is expected to take at least three years to locate and verify an Earth-size planet. The expectation is that Kepler should be able to identify at least 60 habitable earthlike planets in its 500 light year range.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/07/nasa-k ... s-700.html
DarkUFO
Administrator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: New Estimate is 100 million habital planets in the Milky

Postby Two Sides on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:00 pm

Thats is crazy, thank you for posting this :O 100 million habital, 706 potential 'alien' worlds :scared: I keep thinking that one day they will find a planet that will have the same properties as this one, but i do doubt it would happen in my lifetime :lol:
HannaK wrote:I've found my Sawyer to Juliet tbh :wub: :D
Two Sides
Oscar Winner

Postby DarkUFO on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:26 pm

Yep, pretty crazy stuff, and to think that's just our Milky Way.

The most current estimates guess that there are 100 to 200 billion galaxies in the Universe, so that mean there are potentially Billions upon Billions of habital planets, and 1.4 Trillion "Alien Worlds".

Crazy
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby mom on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:31 pm

I believe it will happen in my lifetime but I won't get to space travel :( That is the sad part. Thanks Dark! :)

Thanks to zeek for the most awesome signature!
mom
Emmy Nominee

Location: In the sky with Lucy visting Sadie hope I don`t get a ticket from Rita.

Return to Science & Technology