Apple WWDC '11

Embrace your inner geek! Become one with the world of Science & Technology.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Apple WWDC '11

Postby Dreyesbo on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:08 pm

Busy day in the technology world, apparently, with this in San Francisco and the E3 happening in Los Angeles.

Topics of the conference include Lion (the next version of OS X), iOS 5 (the next version of the operating system for iPhone, iPod and iPads), and iCloud, a new service.... although curiously, there's a hidden banner...perhaps a new service, or a new iPhone?

I'll update this first post with important news.

Conference:
  • Steve Jobs is out, to standing ovation.
  • Phil Schiller talking about Lion. Showing 10 of 250 new features.
  • 1.- More multitouch gestures. 2.- Fullscreeen applications. 3.- Mission Control.
  • So far nothing new, everything was demoed in October 2010.
  • New Photoboot features and animations, with ability to track faces.
  • 4.- Mac App store. 5.- Launchpad. 6.- Resume. Still nothing new. 7.- Autosave. 8.- Versions. 9.- Airdrop. 10.- Mail.
  • Only through the Mac App Store.
  • $29.99! Well, I know I'll be getting it.
  • 4GB install, out in July.
  • iOS 5 now. Most excited for this. As usual, stats for everything. Many stuff sold, 44% market share, blabla.
  • 10 new features.
  • 1.- Notifications. Notification center accesible at any time, swiping down from the top. Can be seen from the Lock screen.
  • 2.- NewsStand. Like iBooks, with subscriptions.
  • 3.- Deep Twitter integration. Universal sign-on in settings gives apps access. Integrated w/ apps like Camera, Photos, Safari, Maps
  • 4.- Safari. Has Safari Reader. Tabbed browsing.
  • 5.- Reminders. Can be location based, neat!
  • 6.- Camera. Wow, great update. Can take picture with the Volume button, and can be accessed from the Lock screen. Crop and rotate, red eye reduction, much faster.
  • 7.- Mail. Rich text formatting, indentation, search entire messages, flagging.
  • System wide dictionary and keyboard enhancements.
  • 8.- PC free! Crowd is cheering. No need to connect the iPhone for activation. Software updates over the air. Updates only update what's changed.
  • 9.- Game Center. Photos, avatars, game dscovery, purchase/downloads directly through there. Turn by turn games supported OS wide.
  • 10.- iMessage. Yes!!! BBM-like messaging through every iPhone. Text message, photos, video, indicators of "Read" and "Typing". Doesn't interrupt applications, looks like iChat.
  • Other features: Wifi syncing, automatic at night, new multitasking gestures.
  • Available today for developers, fall for customers.
  • Supports iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad and iPad 2, 3rd and 4th generation iPod touch.
  • iCloud now. Pushes data to the Cloud, and syncs everything wireless. Every Apple device synced with the same information, retrieved from iCloud. Syncing of mail, contacts, and calendars through every device (formerly now as MobileMe) is now free. You can also see every purchase from the Appstore. Back ups music, apps, books, settings, camera roll, app data, documents.
  • Changes pushed live in documents from the iWork suite. Works on both Mac and PC.
  • Photos saved for 30 days on iCloud, saved permanently on PC or Mac.
  • iTunes in the iCloud.
  • All that was mentioned is...FREE!!
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Apple WWDC '11

Postby DarkUFO on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Always look forward to see what they come up with :) Although I hate Apple and their closed systems it's still pretty interesting.
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby Dreyesbo on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Yeah. I recently migrated to Mac after loving my iPhone, so I'm slowly getting roped in to this ecosystem :P
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby DarkUFO on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Dreyesbo wrote:Yeah. I recently migrated to Mac after loving my iPhone, so I'm slowly getting roped in to this ecosystem :P

Ha, don't do it :)

I was an iphone user for 2 years until I got my first Android phone, and have never even turned my iphone back on since ;)
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby Dreyesbo on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:09 pm

It's over now. Exciting stuff, though!

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby b3rt4 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Dreyesbo wrote:Yeah. I recently migrated to Mac after loving my iPhone, so I'm slowly getting roped in to this ecosystem :P

Sorry for you :( ;)

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby dutchie on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:32 pm

In my line of work an Apple Mac is a must, so I turned into a Mac nerd and Im very happy with it.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Return to Science & Technology