2009 Official LOST ARG (Viral Marketing) Discussion

Discuss the LOST ARG here!

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: 2009 Official LOST ARG Discussion

Postby cypher80b on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:44 pm

Comment from "BEARDO or WEIRDO" post:

Tarya said: 2009.08.11 07:01

Weirdo= Hurley (12-1 = L-A)
Beardo = Charlie (picture with no number = X)
LA X :)
cypher80b
Extra

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby JoeyeoJ on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:33 pm

cypher80b wrote:Comment from "BEARDO or WEIRDO" post:

Tarya said: 2009.08.11 07:01

Weirdo= Hurley (12-1 = L-A)
Beardo = Charlie (picture with no number = X)
LA X :)

or also 12-1 = L-A if going from the start of the alphabet.
The number next to it, 03, if you use that going backwards from the end of the alphabet = X
JoeyeoJ
Viewer

Postby aris3133 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:44 pm

Can someone please PM me how to find the new ARG...a little behind I know!
aris3133
Show Expert

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Go to the first page. It has the whole story and the links to all the videos. ;)
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Postby Sayidsgirl on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:34 pm

Thanks Dark for the title confirmation.
Has this been confirmed as an ARG yet or is it ABC promotion?
Sayidsgirl
Extra

Postby SpOOky on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:42 pm

Sayidsgirl wrote:Thanks Dark for the title confirmation.
Has this been confirmed as an ARG yet or is it ABC promotion?

Thats what I just came to ask :)
Any Official confirmation that this is an arg & not just a promotional thing ?
SpOOky
Stunt Double

Postby DarkUFO on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:46 pm

I've no idea to be honest. I've emailed a few people but nothing much back.

By the looks of things I would say this is not an ARG in the typical sense but more like some nice fun viral marketing that will give us some glimpses into Season 6 etc without spoiling too much. You can already see the amount of debate that just the title of Season 6 Premiere has generated around the Lost world.
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby SpOOky on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:55 pm

DarkUFO wrote:I've no idea to be honest. I've emailed a few people but nothing much back.

By the looks of things I would say this is not an ARG in the typical sense but more like some nice fun viral marketing that will give us some glimpses into Season 6 etc without spoiling too much. You can already see the amount of debate that just the title of Season 6 Premiere has generated around the Lost world.

Yeh I would agree, If this were an Arg they would have no reason not to confirm it
But If its a promotional thing they will want to keep as much interest in it as possible & letting people think its an arg would certainly do that.

anyway arg or promotion Its still worth following :)
SpOOky
Stunt Double

Postby DarkUFO on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:03 pm

SpOOky wrote:
DarkUFO wrote:I've no idea to be honest. I've emailed a few people but nothing much back.

Yeh I would agree, If this were an Arg they would have no reason not to confirm it
But If its a promotional thing they will want to keep as much interest in it as possible & letting people think its an arg would certainly do that.

Yes, totally agree mate. any snippets of Lost info is always worth following :)
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby mmpd on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:25 pm

the von wrote:I think this is the "LA X" reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_X

"Initially, the Earth X storyline was purported as being the future of Earth 616. However, the series often substantially retconned the origins and workings of characters to better suit the story, to the point where they were no longer reconcilable with their counterparts in the mainstream Marvel Universe. One example was the revelation in Paradise X that Wolverine is not a mutant at all, but instead one of the few remaining "pure strain humans", free from the genetic manipulations of the Celestials (as well as a descendent of Moon-Boy). Marvel editors solved these discrepancies by officially declaring that anything stated in Earth X would not be considered canonical. It was also later revealed in issue #11 of Paradise X that the events shown in the series are not set in an alternative future, but rather an alternative present (the issue reveals that Paradise X is set in 2003, the year of publication)."

This seems genius to me and would totally fit with Damon and co.'s obsession with comics.

-- Merged Double Post --

This seems right to me.
mmpd
Viewer

Postby meisnerman on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:42 pm

To be honest, I don't think there is a meaningful difference between an ARG and 'just some promotional thing'. All the ARGs have been 'promotional' in the sense that they are meant to maintain and peak fan interest during the long hiatus and to give us bits of inside information about the world of Lost. Past ARGs have given peeks into the world of the show, just as this one seems to be doing - although in a new way this time, by going inside an alternate 'behind the scenes' world rather than into the Lost universe itself. So far we have all the hallmarks of an ARG here with a scripted storyline (being revealed over time), apparent puzzles (AND red herrings), staged photographs, fictional organizations, anagrams, videos and tie-ins to multiple websites. The only difference I can see from TLE or Find 815 is that so far this ARG seems to be set not in an alternate Lost universe where Sawyer and Gary Troup and Alvar Hanso live, but in an alternate verson of OUR universe - where Lost is created (and Damon is apparently the man in black!). It's a 'meta' thing where we go inside the studio in a fictional way. Sort of like Scream 3. I'm not sure what sort of 'confirmation' we need that we are inside an ARG.
meisnerman
Viewer

Postby TimeforTravel on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:45 pm

I think the ARG has not started yet. I think DCPB is just one small part of the real ARG that has yet to come. (Ronie Midfew Arts). We'll have to wait till August 15th or 16th to find out I think.
TimeforTravel
Stunt Double

Postby SpOOky on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:51 pm

meisnerman wrote:To be honest, I don't think there is a meaningful difference between an ARG and 'just some promotional thing'. All the ARGs have been 'promotional' in the sense that they are meant to maintain and peak fan interest during the long hiatus and to give us bits of inside information about the world of Lost. Past ARGs have given peeks into the world of the show, just as this one seems to be doing - although in a new way this time, by going inside an alternate 'behind the scenes' world rather than into the Lost universe itself. So far we have all the hallmarks of an ARG here with a scripted storyline (being revealed over time), apparent puzzles (AND red herrings), staged photographs, fictional organizations, anagrams, videos and tie-ins to multiple websites. The only difference I can see from TLE or Find 815 is that so far this ARG seems to be set not in an alternate Lost universe where Sawyer and Gary Troup and Alvar Hanso live, but in an alternate verson of OUR universe - where Lost is created (and Damon is apparently the man in black!). It's a 'meta' thing where we go inside the studio in a fictional way. Sort of like Scream 3. I'm not sure what sort of 'confirmation' we need that we are inside an ARG.

I think the differance between an Arg & a promotional event is one you activly play/take part in, the other you spectate and speculate.

I for one am Happy to be a spectator and speculator, but imo knowing if this is an arg or promo can be the differance between spending hours going nuts trying to hunt for clues or just enjoying the ride and watching things unfold.
SpOOky
Stunt Double

Postby pooh on Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:11 pm

Thanks for the confirmation on the title Dark. Nice little tidbit to know. Out of all the theories posted, I think I like the one that LA X=Los Angeles '10 the best. This is sure going to be a long week if no other clues are posted until the 15th :hmm:
Jack: You people have therapists?!
Juliet: It's very stressful being an Other Jack
pooh
Supporting Actor

Postby Sayidsgirl on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:10 pm

DarkUFO wrote:
SpOOky wrote:

Yes, totally agree mate. any snippets of Lost info is always worth following :)

Agreed. I'm interested in what kind of art we'll see on the 15th.
Sayidsgirl
Extra

PreviousNext

Return to Lost ARG