New Apple iPad

Embrace your inner geek! Become one with the world of Science & Technology.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

New Apple iPad

Postby CJ Sonic on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:45 pm

Just announced and can i just say WOW. A giant iPhone that does so much more. What do you guys think? It has great potential. I want one but do i really need one is the questions lol

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Shows I Watch (in no order): Fringe, Supernatural, Smallville, HIMYM, Big Bang Theory, White Collar, Glee, V, The Office, Doctor Who, Chuck, Castle, Cougar Town, Psych, True Blood, Being Human, Misfits, Modern Family, Suits, Firefly, Scrubs, Falling Skies, Game of Thrones
CJ Sonic
Forum Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: New Apple iPad

Postby DarkUFO on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:54 pm

I'm afraid I'm very "meh" about it.

No USB port without buying their "accessory".
No SD-CARD slot to upgrade your memory.
No Camera
No Open Source OS - I'll wait for the Android Tablet ;)

For me for that money I think I'd rather have a nice netbook which I can expand etc.

I already have an iphone and this just seems like a larger version.

I suppose for gamers this could be quite a nice niche machine.
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby Iceman on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:05 pm

"iPad" sounds like some fancy feminine product.

But yeah, I agree with some of what Dark said, it is just kind of a big iPhone. It is a very cool piece of technology, but not something I will invest in as of yet. I'm sure it will improve though.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby DarkUFO on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:09 pm

The best thing about this release is that it will force innovation in this technology space.

Others will be force to compete now and this is a good thing. Once an open source version is available that will let me attach usb devices to it, let me upgrade my memory without having to buy a new machine, let me install any app that I want like Chrome etc then I'll probably look at it again.

But for now it seems to me to be a "Solution looking for a Problem".
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby DarkUFO on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:32 pm

DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby Owa! on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:54 pm

Iceman815 wrote:"iPad" sounds like some fancy feminine product.

You beat me to it good sir. Bravo!
FiveBretz... you suck!
Owa!
Emmy Nominee

Postby Dreyesbo on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:23 am

Although right now I'm not a fan of it, I'll hold my judgment until I have a look at it.

However I do want to point you to this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

The initial reaction in 2001 to the iPod. It's funny to look at it now. It's funnier that it sounds a lot like the iPad bashing right now.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Nick on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:32 am

I don't really like it. It's like an iTouch on steroids with a few extra functions thrown in there that don't really interest me. And it's too expensive.
Nick
Emmy Winner

Postby DestinyFound on Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:37 am

Nick wrote:I don't really like it. It's like an iTouch on steroids with a few extra functions thrown in there that don't really interest me. And it's too expensive.

IT IS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE
especially in this economy

and i agree . . . it is just a huge i touch
Show Expert for Glee and The Office
DestinyFound
Show Expert

Postby Gideon on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:57 am

The iPad is not a big iPod touch. If anything, the iPod Touch is a small iPad. Read anything by anyone who used it during Apple's announcement event. I haven't read one person who says it's just an iPhone/iPod. (Stephen Fry says something similar.)

As for the price, it's $500. That's totally affordable for most people who want or need a computer, and if they're the average user (AVERAGE, as in, a soccer mom who just uses the internet, or a grandmother, who just wants to have pictures of the grandkids), that's pretty nice, especially when they don't need to worry about viruses or slow computer, and best of all, it's portable. Personally, I want one to take to class for notes or quick internet checking, etc. It would be much easier to use than my iPod Touch and much less of a hassle to cart around than my 17-inch laptop.

If you have time, read this to understand much of the iPad target audience: http://northtemple.com/2010/02/01/on-ip ... as-and-gam

But if you're more than the average computer user, I definitely recommend this link. This post is definitely what made me "get it." http://stevenf.tumblr.com/post/35922439 ... s-ive-been
Gideon
Stunt Double

Postby Magic Box on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:03 am

I might get it, as I've always been looking to take the Net to bed, finding the laptop a bit too heavy compared to a book. I've resisted the iTouch/iPhone craze so far, but the iPad might be just what I was waiting for: reading articles on the Net from the bed from something neither too big, nor too little. This might just be the perfect teddy bear for adults. :D
ImageImage
Owner of Ben's red tie, Ben's Bendiana Jones outfit, Ben's bunny, and Ben's "Don't you read?" line.
Magic Box
Emmy Winner

Location: Near the polar bears, far from the Frozen Donkey Wheel

Postby Devil's Arcade on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Very pointless, can't have two apps open at once?
No flash or java or somwething like that?
No USB, probably no discs or anything, not thanks.
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Postby vader182 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:30 am

After playing around with them at the Apple store, I gotta admit they're pretty rad.

Most universities are switching to ereaders for text books, so when that time rolls around I'll probably buy one of them, or see what they have in store for the next few generations.

The bookstore is actually really neat, and the way in which you read the books is as well. I dunno, if I had a ton of cash laying around I'd probably buy one. Too bad most people don't, but then again, the sales are going crazy for a reason.

I recommend playing around with one and see what you think, could change your mind.
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
We will be found in the end. 5.23.10

My theory that explains the whole show: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19711&hilit=the+light+side+of+the+force
sXe
vader182
Emmy Nominee

Return to Science & Technology