Hawking: Aliens may pose risks to Earth

Embrace your inner geek! Become one with the world of Science & Technology.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: Hawking: Aliens may pose risks to Earth

Postby Heiots on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:40 pm

SmokeyD wrote:I could start another thread on Black Holes, and the funny part is they are as big a contraversy in the scientific community as this topic is...

Do it! :thumbsup:

Seems like there's only the two of us here...
:flowers: Caution: All Juliet related :flowers:
My Fanfiction My YT Videos My Art
Heiots
Star Billing

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby SmokeyD on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:55 pm

Heiots wrote:
SmokeyD wrote:I could start another thread on Black Holes, and the funny part is they are as big a contraversy in the scientific community as this topic is...

Do it! :thumbsup:

Seems like there's only the two of us here...

Maybe soon, Black holes are a funny topic in some ways. In many ways Science Fiction has beaten actual Science fact.. Kinda the reason for the controversial viewpoints by so many.

I'm still intrigued by the Hawking statement, and curious to find people who wanna broach the subject. He never said that Aliens will fly here in there Saucer shaped ships, it's more a statement that He beleives (as do I), that there are life forms in the universe that can/would prove toxic to humanity and life on earth. Whether that be a active adversarial toxicity, or a passive reaction (like a bad burrito) that is equally detrimental.

I enjoy debating the Science/Faith angles though. too much of Black Hole understanding is more:
Science vs Science vs Science Fiction,

and I am not a triangle type of guy...
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby Heiots on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:02 pm

I'm sure others will comment on this sooner or later. Aliens were never really portrayed as friendly creatures, imo.

SmokeyD wrote:I enjoy debating the Science/Faith angles though. too much of Black Hole understanding is more:

I enjoy the Sci/Faith debates too, only I think if we have one here, I'll be overwhelmed by the amount of people standing on the Science side. :P
Heiots
Star Billing

Postby SmokeyD on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:12 pm

Heiots wrote:I'm sure others will comment on this sooner or later. Aliens were never really portrayed as friendly creatures, imo.

SmokeyD wrote:I enjoy debating the Science/Faith angles though. too much of Black Hole understanding is more:

I enjoy the Sci/Faith debates too, only I think if we have one here, I'll be overwhelmed by the amount of people standing on the Science side. :P

Even though there are a lot of discussions about 'Science/Faith' when it comes to LOST, most people here seem to at least be receptive to the Science Fiction in general. My friend seems to me more of the exception than the norm. He highly values his faith, to the point that he usually wears it on his sleeve...

My retort to him is usually that when he is that extreme, he closes his mind to other... larger.. possibilities. And, IMHO, the expierence of life is restrictive enough without self impossed boundries on what is truly possible. I stongly beleive that every new discovery in science directly broadens and expands what it possible. And, if you or your faith narrowly confine your horizons, it limits the potiential that God has truly given us. The more of our universe we understand, the larger God's scope can become...
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby Heiots on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:06 pm

I just spoke to my dad about the aliens issue and guess what? He brought up Hawkings even without I mentioning him, saying that we ought to leave aliens alone. :P I said that's the guy we were talking about!

I find people almost everywhere are more open to science than to faith, imo. They think we who believe in creation are narrow-minded and all that. *shrug* Everyone has a right to believe what they want to believe.
Heiots
Star Billing

Postby SmokeyD on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Heiots wrote:I just spoke to my dad about the aliens issue and guess what? He brought up Hawkings even without I mentioning him, saying that we ought to leave aliens alone. :P I said that's the guy we were talking about!

I find people almost everywhere are more open to science than to faith, imo. They think we who believe in creation are narrow-minded and all that. *shrug* Everyone has a right to believe what they want to believe.

People of faith will tell you that it is harder to be of faith than of science, And many people who believe in science will try to argue that a belief in faith is easier since it doesn't require proof.

I have been told that I am trying to have it both ways, and they also say that I can not have it both ways. I explain that I have both faith & a firm belief in science. And my typical rebuttal is that I believe that it is both ways, and trying to force your own arguement into one catergory or the other will detract from both positions...
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Previous

Return to Science & Technology