Scientists claim aliens could be sending us "tweets"

Embrace your inner geek! Become one with the world of Science & Technology.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Scientists claim aliens could be sending us "tweets"

Postby DarkUFO on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:23 am

In a way akin to Twitter aliens could have been sending us short messages for years according to scientists.

They could have been using cosmic 'tweets' to contact us for decades, researchers claim - but we have been missing them.

While any 'lost in space' messages wouldn't exactly be restricted to 140 characters, as on the website, a study suggests ET is more likely to send out short, directed messages than continuous signals beamed in all directions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... space.html
DarkUFO
Administrator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Scientists claim aliens could be sending us "tweets"

Postby Lockes disciple on Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:57 pm

These are the types of interesting articles I like but I agree with one of the comments in the article that said that "tweeting us" is a very bad analogy. I think most intelligent people can use common sense and understand it just meant "sending short messages" as opposed to long and elaborate ones. But there will be a slew of "less than intelligent" people thinking this means an alien could decide to personally tweet them on their cell phone in order to make contact with our species.

It's interesting to think that intelligent life wasn't necessarily looking for us, but instead was waiting for us to get smart enough to respond. Intelligent species were out there, exploring the universe, adding to their knowledge and expanding their scientific understanding. Perhaps they've arrived at the conclusion that it's unwise to search out primitive life forms (like we are presently) because they would alter our development. So instead they send out signals or enough information to communicate. And once any intelligent life forms are ready to decipher it they will have proven themselves ready to join the group of intelligent beings within the universe.

We always imagine aliens coming here to Earth, but realistically I think we'd have to travel far out into the depths of our known universe in order to meet them.

Lockes disciple
Star Billing

Postby Devil's Arcade on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:52 pm

There are other species out there perhaps even smarter species, but they aren't communicating with us, watching us or anywhere near us - that is my belief.
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Postby mom on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:29 pm

Everyone want s to contact us!! :P It has been my firm belief that there are thousands of signals being sent throughout the Universe but their technology is so far beyond our perception we don't get them or 'see' them...just one girls opinion...Thanks for the read :)

Thanks to zeek for the most awesome signature!
mom
Emmy Nominee

Location: In the sky with Lucy visting Sadie hope I don`t get a ticket from Rita.

Return to Science & Technology