Teleportation and quantum entanglement

Embrace your inner geek! Become one with the world of Science & Technology.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Teleportation and quantum entanglement

Postby DarkUFO on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:17 am

Scientists are taking gradual steps towards the concept of teleportation via quantum entanglement.

For years science fiction has put forward the concept of teleporters capable of instantly transporting objects and people from one place to another, but how plausible is such a technology in real life ? Could we one day have Star Trek style teleporters ?

"Quantum entanglement" may sound like an awful sci-fi romance flick, but it's actually a phenomenon that physicists say may someday lead to the ability to teleport an object all the way across the galaxy instantly.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =128910996
DarkUFO
Administrator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Teleportation and quantum entanglement

Postby chalovak on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Wow! Awesome article! It's like cloning process from "Prestige" with instant destruction of the clone. :)
Teleportation and ability to fly are maybe the most my-mind-disturbing things.=) Oh, and invisibility. I hope I'll see some progress in each during my lifetime.
chalovak
Stunt Double

Postby Lockes disciple on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:17 pm

Very cool article. (I thought of The Prestige also, Chalovak.)

It's interesting what was mentioned about having to be "destroyed" before you could be teleported and cloned somewhere else. I read a science fiction short story that used that type of idea and suggested that's what happens when we die. The "life force" that animates our physical bodies is "destroyed" when we die on Earth and then re-made in another part of the physical Universe. Basically we just are reborn on another planet in another body, except different physical attributes and different physical environment, etc. Sort of like what happened in "Avatar" with the consciousness being transferred to another body.

Anyways, I always like reading articles like this. Thanks for posting.

Lockes disciple
Star Billing

Postby mom on Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:24 pm

I too would love to do this before I die along with traveling to space. Thanks Dark for sharing.Hard article for me to follow but I enjoyed it none the less. :)

Thanks to zeek for the most awesome signature!
mom
Emmy Nominee

Location: In the sky with Lucy visting Sadie hope I don`t get a ticket from Rita.

Return to Science & Technology