Which Series of Books is Best?

A section for modern day Shakespeares and casual readers alike.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Best Series

Harry Potter
24
8%
Harry Potter
24
8%
Harry Potter
24
8%
Harry Potter
24
8%
Lord of The Rings
17
6%
Lord of The Rings
17
6%
Lord of The Rings
17
6%
Lord of The Rings
17
6%
The Dark Tower Series
18
6%
The Dark Tower Series
18
6%
The Dark Tower Series
18
6%
The Dark Tower Series
18
6%
Chronicles of Narnia
6
2%
Chronicles of Narnia
6
2%
Chronicles of Narnia
6
2%
Chronicles of Narnia
6
2%
Other, Please Specify in a Comment
11
4%
Other, Please Specify in a Comment
11
4%
Other, Please Specify in a Comment
11
4%
Other, Please Specify in a Comment
11
4%
 
Total votes : 304

Re: Which Series of Books is Best?

Postby screamie on Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:37 pm

I recommand "the farseer trilogy", the "liveship traders" and the "Tawny man", all books by Robin Hobb. These books are masterpieces, according to me. It's so well writen, with a lot a great character (some are more simply brilliant). All these books are connected to form a general story, which is one of the best I've ever read (and I'm a good reader). Really, it's awesome, i deeply recommand to give it a try.

I was skeptical then a friend convince me and I'm completely sold.

So I voted "other" because I have never read a story so long and yet so well writen, coherent (consistent) and thrilling.

Amongst the "no-listed" series, his Dark Material follows. This is genius.

But of course I'm a also huge huge fan of HP and LOTR. I haven't read Dark tower yet, but I intend to.
Avi is not mine - all credit to the artist

beresford wrote:By the power invested in my by the supreme Juliet princess, I nominate you screamie the official Juliet queen.


Image - Thanks Heiots !

MY FOUR J : JULIET JACK and JOHN (well and JAMES - the fourth Jusqueteer) !
User avatar
screamie
Stunt Double
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:16 am
Gender: Female


Ads are removed for registered users






Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Which Series of Books is Best?

Postby brentoid on Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:10 pm

honestly it disturbs me to see harry potter on the same list as the dark tower & lotr...i mean it really disturbs me...whats wrong with you people???

as for the naria series? pure christian allergorical bollocks...not a fan either...

there, i've vented & you know what? i feel a lot better.... :D
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
User avatar
brentoid
Show Expert
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 9:43 am
Gender: Male

Re: Which Series of Books is Best?

Postby drackodelmal on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:19 pm

leegrace wrote:I think Chronicles of Narnia..


there´s one i have never considered... i think i´ll giveit a go next weekend thanks for the advise
User avatar
drackodelmal
Emmy Nominee
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:12 am
Location: West Chester, PA
Gender: Male

Re: Which Series of Books is Best?

Postby Gary Troup on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:36 pm

I went for Potter because, tbh, they're the only one's I've read.
User avatar
Gary Troup
Star Billing
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:29 am
Location: Sheffield, England
Gender: Male

Re: Which Series of Books is Best?

Postby drackodelmal on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:09 pm

Gary Troup wrote:I went for Potter because, tbh, they're the only one's I've read.


you should try his dark materials... but if you are give the WHOLE series a chance... :D
User avatar
drackodelmal
Emmy Nominee
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:12 am
Location: West Chester, PA
Gender: Male

Re: Which Series of Books is Best?

Postby LOSTMeggy on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:45 pm

Southern Vampire Mysteries(Sookie Stackhouse Novels)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I've missed you so much..."
User avatar
LOSTMeggy
Stunt Double
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:27 pm
Location: CT
Gender: Female

Re: Which Series of Books is Best?

Postby Octopus on Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:48 pm

King's "Dark Tower", of course! Honestly I'm reading Wolves of Calla, but I love four previous books and I bet that Wolves and two further won't let me down :thumbup: ! I really like Harry Potter, but I think it's lame compared to King's novel, and I simply don't like Narnia's Cronichles, because I don't think that talking beavers would be better than Gunslinger!
And what about LoTR, you ask... Honestly while I was reading this, I was falling asleep, and no, it wasn't late time, it simply was boring me, i barely read Two Towers. Funny, because i think that movie rules :hmm:
Image
User avatar
Octopus
Viewer
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:25 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: Which Series of Books is Best?

Postby Joshua on Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:08 am

Octopus wrote:King's "Dark Tower", of course! Honestly I'm reading Wolves of Calla, but I love four previous books and I bet that Wolves and two further won't let me down :thumbup: ! I really like Harry Potter, but I think it's lame compared to King's novel, and I simply don't like Narnia's Cronichles, because I don't think that talking beavers would be better than Gunslinger!
And what about LoTR, you ask... Honestly while I was reading this, I was falling asleep, and no, it wasn't late time, it simply was boring me, i barely read Two Towers. Funny, because i think that movie rules :hmm:


Speaking of which, I got Drawing Of The Three today :)
Image
Image
User avatar
Joshua
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 8223
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Somewhere snowy but hot
Gender: Male

Re: Which Series of Books is Best?

Postby Octopus on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:08 pm

Nice, but you're not reading this for a first time, just reminding to yourself whole saga, right ? I think that Drawing Of The Three is too *how do you say it in English?* schematic... Ok, sorry for the spam, Penguin, I'll be in separated topic of King's books if you wanna talk 'bout Dark Tower or the others ;)
Image
User avatar
Octopus
Viewer
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:25 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: Which Series of Books is Best?

Postby Joshua on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:46 am

Octopus wrote:Nice, but you're not reading this for a first time, just reminding to yourself whole saga, right ? I think that Drawing Of The Three is too *how do you say it in English?* schematic... Ok, sorry for the spam, Penguin, I'll be in separated topic of King's books if you wanna talk 'bout Dark Tower or the others ;)


Nope, reading it for the first time! :)
Image
Image
User avatar
Joshua
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 8223
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Somewhere snowy but hot
Gender: Male

Re: Which Series of Books is Best?

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:11 am

I voted The Dark Tower, even though I haven't finished the series yet. It was a close second to Harry Potter, which I almost voted first because I think it is written in a way that is universally relatable and is really for people of all ages.

The reason I didn't however, is because I feel Stephen King challenges his readers to rethink what they think they know about the universe in general. He often gives fun unique explanations for things we deem mentally ill or not explanible. King also goes out of his way to add multiple elements from multiple genres in this work, which also expands into almost every book he has ever written!! In addition because the main characters are often older than the Harry Potter crew, the issues King is able to get into feels more real since he can go to dark adult places, where Rowling couldn't, allowing King to more fully exploit the human condition.
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: Which Series of Books is Best?

Postby geekish26 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:58 am

I would say my most favourite series of books EVER is by Robert Jordan - 'The Wheel of Time'. Favourite book being the third, The Dragon Reborn, where Lan gets the sword (omg, it's been so long since I read them). I'm not even sure I was able to read the last and first (they released like a prequel and sequel or sth), but love the others.

I also like the Vampire Diaries books. Much better than the series, I think (but then again, no Ian Somerhalder).
Last edited by geekish26 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
geekish26
Viewer
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:18 am
Gender: Female

Re: Which Series of Books is Best?

Postby Leroi22 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Harry Potter without a doubt!! :thumbsup:
Image
User avatar
Leroi22
Supporting Actor
 
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:02 pm
Location: United States
Gender: Male

Re: Which Series of Books is Best?

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:21 pm

drackodelmal wrote:Come on... His Dark Materials... it has to be the greates one i have reaed... meh


This is my favorite of all time as well :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ....Gosh I wish that Book of Dust, or even Will's little green book would just get written already!!!! :lol:
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Previous

Return to Books & Comics


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron