New planet may have possibly been found in our solar system

Embrace your inner geek! Become one with the world of Science & Technology.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

New planet may have possibly been found in our solar system

Postby Woongo on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:27 pm

There's a giant planet right here, hiding in our Solar System. One that nobody has ever seen, even while it is four times larger than Jupiter and has rings and moons orbiting it. At least, that's what two astrophysicists say.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5759865/the-myster ... lar-system

There has been numerous claims that a new planet has been found in our solar system and here's yet another one. Though this one is rather interesting since the planet is (if it's really there) a huge one.
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

Woongo
Supporting Actor

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: New planet may have possibly been found in our solar sys

Postby DarkUFO on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks Woongo, I love reading stuff like this.
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby Lockes disciple on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:34 pm

I remember reading about Tyche several years ago and being fascinated by the claim. It's good that it seems to be getting more attention. It appears as though the evidence is becoming more credible and scientists/astronomers are beginning to reconsider the possibility that Tyche exists. I'm sure the more sophisticated the technology gets to explore space, the more discoveries like this will we make.

Lockes disciple
Star Billing

Postby Woongo on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Lockes disciple wrote:I remember reading about Tyche several years ago and being fascinated by the claim. It's good that it seems to be getting more attention. It appears as though the evidence is becoming more credible and scientists/astronomers are beginning to reconsider the possibility that Tyche exists. I'm sure the more sophisticated the technology gets to explore space, the more discoveries like this will we make.

So it has been found a few years ago already? The article was posted on 14th of February, so I figured they have only discovered it recently. That's interesting.
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

Woongo
Supporting Actor

Postby Lockes disciple on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:19 pm

Here's a link to another article that mentions the argument for the planet Tyche:

Planet Tyche

Some of the advocates arguing for the existence of the planet have been doing so since 1999. From what I understand, it's all theoretical. They haven't "discovered" a new planet. Scientists and astronomers just think that there must be a gigantic planet way out in the outer reaches of our solar system and have theorized its size and what its made of because of data they have compiled. Based on the way comet trajectories that originate from that area of space and other factors, makes them think that there must be a gigantic planet out there whose gravitational pull is affecting them.

But, again, this is all just an argument based on evidence. It's sort of like detectives looking at a crime scene and using the clues to say "the killer must be like this, and act like this because of the evidence left at the crime scene." They haven't proven anything and science is about proof. It makes sense that a huge gas planet would be out there, but they haven't been able to locate one or prove it yet, so they've been trying to argue that it exists because they want to get the funding in order to find out for sure. But since it costs so much money to research a thing like that, the people providing the money (government) wants to make sure it's "worth it" and not some huge waste of money.

What I was saying in my previous post, is that the case for planet Tyche's existence must be gaining momentum and credibility because it seems (based on the new article) that more scientists are beginning to consider the possibility that this planet exists. The more evidence that is collected that seems to point to it being out there, the more likely they will spend the time and money to make sure.

Lockes disciple
Star Billing

Return to Science & Technology