[Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.10 Discussion

Spoilerfree Game of Thrones Discussion

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Game of Thrones Ep. 1.10 Discussion

Postby Dreyesbo on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:39 pm

DarthLocke wrote:Thanks! I am trying to understand the mythology better...so the witches themselves are the white walkers -is this a term for anyone whom can cast magic, or is this exclusive to ressurection magic/and or only a certain group of people? -And so you have to be born a white walker? -or not have died? Can it be learned? Is there a type of rebirth in terms of history attempting to repeat itself?

You can use spoiler tags and spoiler me if need be. :lol:

Heh, no need for spoiler tags, as most of this is unknown! But first of all, witches aren't White Walkers. There are people around the world that can do magic, Mirri Maz Dur was one of them, but there are others.

The White Walkers are mythological creatures from beyond the Wall, who once a long time ago (During the Long Night, which was an unusually long winter) descended to Westeros and started attacking. A joint strike between the First Men and the Children of the Forest (not mentioned in the series yet) contained the White Walkers, repelled them up north, and they built the Wall to prevent them from coming back south. And so, the White Walkers slept for thousands of years, until they woke up again (as we saw in the opening scene).

We know barely nothing from the White Walker race, nor how they revive people to do their will. But rest assured, they are a race separate from human beings.

DarthLocke wrote:
Sawyer5665 wrote:And the witch said that Dany's child had scaly skin like a lizard...and wings. So, what exactly would have been the child's story if he had been allowed to be carried to term? Would he have been some sort of man/dragon hybrid??

I wanted to know this too ---that's why I wondered if all of this was on the verge of being special circumstance, but I guess not?!

I too wonder this. I would like to believe that, if the child was born correctly, he would be a normal human (albeit with Dothraki and Targaryen blood -- dangerous combination). I think his transformation happened when she was carried into the tent.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Yeah, I thought about that, Dreyesbo. So, the baby died to pay for Drogo's life...but was turned into the beast because Jorah took her into the tent??
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby brentoid on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:50 pm

awesome..i had hoped the dragons would appear...and they did...cute looking wee beasties too...

shames theres only 10 episodes...gonna read the books now for defs...

i thought the witch woman justified her actions very well...nice wee speech to danerys...didnt help her at all...ive a wee question for peeps who've read the books, did the hatching of the eggs need a human sacrifice, or was danerys just being vengeful?

anya is class as well..." ive already killed one fat boy " heheh...no messing about at all there...

and joffery...i really hope he dies painfully, crying for his mother...is that wrong? if not that then at least the new kings hand will deliver a few more smacks...

loved this season...might even take a wee run to check out them shooting season 2...its about an hours drive from where i live !!
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:58 pm

I would like some more details as well on the dragons hatching. Was it Dany's presence in the fire that made the eggs hatch...or was it the sacrifice??

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby frekkells on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:28 pm

brentoid wrote:i thought the witch woman justified her actions very well...nice wee speech to danerys...didnt help her at all...ive a wee question for peeps who've read the books, did the hatching of the eggs need a human sacrifice, or was danerys just being vengeful?

Answering in spoiler box, just in case. I didn't participate much in conversation for fear I would spoil something accidently. :unsure:
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
The witch had taught Dany well; a human sacrifice was needed.

brentoid wrote:shames theres only 10 episodes...gonna read the books now for defs...

I liked the series, but definitely like the books much better. I think my imagination is much better than anything that can be cgied. Although, the dragons were awesome. Book spoiler,
In the book, she was nursing the dragons, I just loved that little addition. Plus, her hair burnt off too.
It is little things like that I like about reading the book, more detail and insight.

Some great stuff here. :thumbsup:
FREKKELL'S FANTASY FORCE ~ 6th place ~ Season 5 LFL
Credit and Much Thanks to MAGIC BOX for the awesome banner.

Proud owner of Ben's Annie doll and line, "I always have a plan."
frekkells
Show Expert

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:33 pm

frekkells wrote:
brentoid wrote:i thought the witch woman justified her actions very well...nice wee speech to danerys...didnt help her at all...ive a wee question for peeps who've read the books, did the hatching of the eggs need a human sacrifice, or was danerys just being vengeful?

Answering in spoiler box, just in case. I didn't participate much in conversation for fear I would spoil something accidently. :unsure:
The witch had taught Dany well; a human sacrifice was needed.

brentoid wrote:shames theres only 10 episodes...gonna read the books now for defs...

I liked the series, but definitely like the books much better. I think my imagination is much better than anything that can be cgied. Although, the dragons were awesome. Book spoiler,
In the book, she was nursing the dragons, I just loved that little addition. Plus, her hair burnt off too.
It is little things like that I like about reading the book, more detail and insight.

Some great stuff here. :thumbsup:

Wow...I can't wait to read the book. I think I'm only going to read the first one though. I'll wait to read book two until after season two airs.

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby frekkells on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:Wow...I can't wait to read the book. I think I'm only going to read the first one though. I'll wait to read book two until after season two airs.

You'll have to let me know how you like it after seeing the series first.

They actually started book 2 last night with a couple of the storylines. Not going to say which ones though. ;)

frekkells
Show Expert

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:48 pm

frekkells wrote:
Sawyer5665 wrote:Wow...I can't wait to read the book. I think I'm only going to read the first one though. I'll wait to read book two until after season two airs.

They actually started book 2 last night with a couple of the storylines. Not going to say which ones though. ;)

Tyrion is hand of the king and Robb Stark is king of the north.

Am I right?

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby frekkells on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:
frekkells wrote:

Tyrion is hand of the king and Robb Stark is king of the north.

Am I right?

Actually, my biggest disappointment was that they let us know Arya was alive. I thought they would make it a cliff hanger. Maybe I am dense, but I was so in shock that they killed Ned; I wasn't sure if Arya was alive at the end of book 1. Some smelly man had grabbed her and called her boy. She thought she recognized him, but then he put a knife to her head ripping off her hair after shielding her from seeing her father's beheading. With everything going on, I wasn't really sure who had her and what his intention was. Still think it could have been a good cliff hanger.

frekkells
Show Expert

Postby Dreyesbo on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:59 am

Sawyer5665 wrote:I would like some more details as well on the dragons hatching. Was it Dany's presence in the fire that made the eggs hatch...or was it the sacrifice??

I'm going to disagree a bit with frekkells here...I don't think Dany knew the dragons would hatch, and neither she intended them to. Hell, I don't even think she thought she would survive. In the books, she isn't impervious to heat/fire. (Although I understand and agree why they would change that so)

What happened then was a one time deal, something we don't know how it happened, only that it did. Magic is coming back to this world, and brought dragons with it.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:22 am

Sawyer5665 wrote:Some great stuff here. :thumbsup:

Wow...I can't wait to read the book. I think I'm only going to read the first one though. I'll wait to read book two until after season two airs.[/quote]

I was thinking about doing that too! :D

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Sawyer5665 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:02 am

One of my favorite images of the entire series so far was of Dany standing there with the dragon on her shoulder when the dragon spread it's wings and roared. Pure awesomeness.

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby frekkells on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Dreyesbo wrote:
Sawyer5665 wrote:I would like some more details as well on the dragons hatching. Was it Dany's presence in the fire that made the eggs hatch...or was it the sacrifice??

I'm going to disagree a bit with frekkells here...I don't think Dany knew the dragons would hatch, and neither she intended them to. Hell, I don't even think she thought she would survive. In the books, she isn't impervious to heat/fire. (Although I understand and agree why they would change that so)

What happened then was a one time deal, something we don't know how it happened, only that it did. Magic is coming back to this world, and brought dragons with it.

When I answered the original question, it was whether the eggs hatching needed a human sacrifice or was Dany just being vengeful. I don't think Dany wanting vengence had anything to do with the eggs hatching, although it may have. If the question is between Dany's presence in the fire and the sacrifice, I'd have to answer probably both. It seemed to me that the blood magic and human sacrifice went hand in hand. Book spoiler.
They reiterate several times that only death can pay for life. And sacrificing the horse on the pyre was a Dothraki custom, but also went back to the blood magic. The fire seemed to pull Dany into it, cause she had promised Jorah that she wouldn't sacrifice herself on the fire as he was afraid she would. But I got the impression that she was starting to know she was the blood of the dragon, both in the book and on the series. So she didn't fear the fire.

And if you read GoT, I bet you'll have trouble not moving on to CoK. I went right out and got CoK when I still had about 200 pages of GoT to go, cause I didn't want to have to wait to start CoK. Isn't it nice to have some great summer reading?

frekkells
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Dreyesbo wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:Thanks! I am trying to understand the mythology better...so the witches themselves are the white walkers -is this a term for anyone whom can cast magic, or is this exclusive to ressurection magic/and or only a certain group of people? -And so you have to be born a white walker? -or not have died? Can it be learned? Is there a type of rebirth in terms of history attempting to repeat itself?

You can use spoiler tags and spoiler me if need be. :lol:

Heh, no need for spoiler tags, as most of this is unknown! But first of all, witches aren't White Walkers. There are people around the world that can do magic, Mirri Maz Dur was one of them, but there are others.

The White Walkers are mythological creatures from beyond the Wall, who once a long time ago (During the Long Night, which was an unusually long winter) descended to Westeros and started attacking. A joint strike between the First Men and the Children of the Forest (not mentioned in the series yet) contained the White Walkers, repelled them up north, and they built the Wall to prevent them from coming back south. And so, the White Walkers slept for thousands of years, until they woke up again (as we saw in the opening scene).

We know barely nothing from the White Walker race, nor how they revive people to do their will. But rest assured, they are a race separate from human beings.

DarthLocke wrote:
Sawyer5665 wrote:And the witch said that Dany's child had scaly skin like a lizard...and wings. So, what exactly would have been the child's story if he had been allowed to be carried to term? Would he have been some sort of man/dragon hybrid??

I wanted to know this too ---that's why I wondered if all of this was on the verge of being special circumstance, but I guess not?!

I too wonder this. I would like to believe that, if the child was born correctly, he would be a normal human (albeit with Dothraki and Targaryen blood -- dangerous combination). I think his transformation happened when she was carried into the tent.

Thanks again! :D -Yeah, I just was curious if there were people of magic who caused the white walkers to rise...I just feel like the series is pulling the fire and Ice (frozen water) themes of Life and Death (or rebirth via scarifice-Christian/Eastern themology) together, but I also know that
book four is just coming out and is part of a planned seven book series
, so in a way I am glad that there might still be more to learn about these themes in relation to the magic and possibly the past of the Kingdoms that perhaps will be exposed much later.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby gracie lou on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:18 am

Dreyesbo wrote:

I disagree, heh. :lol: Part of Dany knew that the eggs could hatch, and that she would not be harmed by the flames. I don't think she had any intention of dying with her sun and stars, though I know she loved him dearly.
gracie lou
Viewer

PreviousNext

Return to Game of Thrones Discusson [No Spoilers]