[Official] True Blood Ep. 4.08 Discussion

General discussion for 'True Blood'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] True Blood Ep. 4.08 Discussion

Postby Rebel on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:41 am

I feel I should add that there is indeed something I am enjoying from the Sookie/Eric romance this season. And that's their love theme. I really feel that this is as good (if not slightly better?) than the Sookie/Bill love theme, which has been my favorite of Nathan Barr's score.

Also, as someone who's never read the books, I am obviously a big fan of True Blood: The TV Show. So when I express my opinions on True Blood, I'm basing them soley on the show and what Alan Ball and his team have done. I treat it sort of like a TV critic, as I look into the episodic writing, directing, production, acting, teletography, sound/visual effects, score, editing, make-up...etc. The books don't even cross my mind, and I strongly believe that to judge a show... one should do just that. Judge the show. Making judgements about a show based on comparisons with the books just doesn't seem fair to me.

True Blood's enchanting princess...
Rebel
Guest Star

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Miss Ford on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:01 am

the comparation, IMO, will always exist because the book is there and the tv show is based on it... thats something unchangeable... Allan Ball have been moving away his plots from the book since season 2, I think... IMO, only season one was really a good representation of what the writer did in her novels. To do comparation with the preview story is something that some of the fans cannot help doing because they happen to know this different side of these characters .... so I think its almost impossible to not look back and compare with the other vision of this same story!

I can understand what youre saying, but I also feel its unfair to think readers should forget what the know about charlaine harris books when they watch TB. I can say for myself, I love the fact that there are 2 version of this story that I adore and the fact that Allan keep surprising me, for better or for worse, is amazing! I just cant help comparing :(
ImageImageImage
'Tell her I was born the night she found me,
and because of her, I went to my true death knowing
what it means to love. Tell her: Thank You.
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby Rebel on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:29 am

Miss Ford wrote:the comparation, IMO, will always exist because the book is there and the tv show is based on it... thats something unchangeable... Allan Ball have been moving away his plots from the book since season 2, I think... IMO, only season one was really a good representation of what the writer did in her novels. To do comparation with the preview story is something that some of the fans cannot help doing because they happen to know this different side of these characters .... so I think its almost impossible to not look back and compare with the other vision of this same story!

I can understand what youre saying, but I also feel its unfair to think readers should forget what the know about charlaine harris books when they watch TB. I can say for myself, I love the fact that there are 2 version of this story that I adore and the fact that Allan keep surprising me, for better or for worse, is amazing! I just cant help comparing :(

Oh I totally understand, Miss Ford. I found myself doing the same thing with The Lord of the Rings (was very happy with both), I meant one shouldn't say I don't like so and so on the show because in the books he/she was such and such. Know what I mean? Kind of like meeting a celebrity in real life and judging that celebrity's character/personality based on the movies/shows we've seen them in. Of course comparisons in that scense will always be made. And fans will express their likes and dislikes based on those comparisons... I just mean one media outlet shouldn't be effected by a different form of multimedia when making specific judgements.

:)
Last edited by Rebel on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

True Blood's enchanting princess...
Rebel
Guest Star

Postby Miss Ford on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:37 am

I see... I'm with you... even though sometimes I expect things to happen one way because it did in the book, if on TB something different happens I dont feel it was just worse just because it wasnt just like in the books..... although there are cases and cases... well, Im totally addicted to TB and I dont think I would be if I was expecting the full tv representation of the Sookie Stackhouse Novels :thumbup: the tv series is just based on the book, its a completly different story with a lot of similarities :D :P
ImageImageImage
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Rebel wrote:I feel I should add that there is indeed something I am enjoying from the Sookie/Eric romance this season. And that's their love theme. I really feel that this is as good (if not slightly better?) than the Sookie/Bill love theme, which has been my favorite of Nathan Barr's score.

Also, as someone who's never read the books, I am obviously a big fan of True Blood: The TV Show. So when I express my opinions on True Blood, I'm basing them soley on the show and what Alan Ball and his team have done. I treat it sort of like a TV critic, as I look into the episodic writing, directing, production, acting, teletography, sound/visual effects, score, editing, make-up...etc. The books don't even cross my mind, and I strongly believe that to judge a show... one should do just that. Judge the show. Making judgements about a show based on comparisons with the books just doesn't seem fair to me.

I agree--I often feel that way about novels to film/screen too---if a book series was written before, than I think fans who venture to the film/tv series have to remember this is someone's else's interpretation and manifestation of the pre-written material and there for should be judged separate in terms of content and plot---it makes sense to me that what works in a novel, doesn't always on film and rearranging/editing is needed, plus I think it also makes sense for a TV series to go their own way a bit--because then it's still a surprise for the book readers and then nothing is too predictable for any viewer. (although sometimes this is easier said than done, and I try to read works after I see the film and not the other way around---since I have to say the film, 'The Golden Compass' really put me out with the change of it's ending...)

Now going back on this a little and setting myself up to be a hypocrite, I have not read any Southern Vampire Mystery Series, but have started reading another Harris Series, Harper Connelly Mystery Series, and I have to say I think Alan Ball and Co must have picked up on the most essential parts and personality traits of Harris' writing, because the whole time I am reading it, I can't also help to think of True Blood...

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby frekkells on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Sorry to interupt the current conversation about books vs tv show. But I have been camping for the last two weeks, no internet and limited tv, and have finally caught up with True Blood. I've been looking forward to coming and reading everyone's comments and venting. I usually just lurk, but the last couple episodes have been reminding me a lot of season 2. I was glad to see DartheLocke's comment.

DarthLocke wrote: --But if you think about it, Tara hasn't cried or run away this season once! She's not exactly the same as before...She's attempting to take charge--though this almost mirrors season 2--there are also opposites at work--she saved her friend, unlike Eggs, Marnie/Antonia only directly the dead, where as Maryanne controlled the living, there for Tara's actions are more her own---I see an evolution, great writing---but it better pay off in the way I think it will or I might beat you guys to the hunt... :whistle:

There are subtle differences, but the overall arc is very similar. And I'm not really liking the witches. Witches are real as opposed to all the other supernatural creatures in this show. I like the vampires and weres and fairies; obscure Roman mythology is fine too.

Obviously, the show is still enjoyable, I am watching, but I think I am enjoying the B storylines a lot more than the A storylines. I am glad Alcide's storyline picked up a little this week. Hopefully this will have him in the episodes a little more. Sam rocked playing Tommy as Sam, thought he did a brilliant job. The lady who plays Mrs. Thortenberry was okay, and the idea was wonderful, but she didn't do as good a job as Sam did. And baby Michael is the cutest baby ever. I'm glad Lafayette is involved with this storyline now.
FREKKELL'S FANTASY FORCE ~ 6th place ~ Season 5 LFL
Credit and Much Thanks to MAGIC BOX for the awesome banner.

Proud owner of Ben's Annie doll and line, "I always have a plan."
frekkells
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:18 pm

frekkells wrote:Sorry to interupt the current conversation about books vs tv show. But I have been camping for the last two weeks, no internet and limited tv, and have finally caught up with True Blood. I've been looking forward to coming and reading everyone's comments and venting. I usually just lurk, but the last couple episodes have been reminding me a lot of season 2. I was glad to see DartheLocke's comment.

DarthLocke wrote: --But if you think about it, Tara hasn't cried or run away this season once! She's not exactly the same as before...She's attempting to take charge--though this almost mirrors season 2--there are also opposites at work--she saved her friend, unlike Eggs, Marnie/Antonia only directly the dead, where as Maryanne controlled the living, there for Tara's actions are more her own---I see an evolution, great writing---but it better pay off in the way I think it will or I might beat you guys to the hunt... :whistle:

There are subtle differences, but the overall arc is very similar. And I'm not really liking the witches. Witches are real as opposed to all the other supernatural creatures in this show. I like the vampires and weres and fairies; obscure Roman mythology is fine too.

Obviously, the show is still enjoyable, I am watching, but I think I am enjoying the B storylines a lot more than the A storylines. I am glad Alcide's storyline picked up a little this week. Hopefully this will have him in the episodes a little more. Sam rocked playing Tommy as Sam, thought he did a brilliant job. The lady who plays Mrs. Thortenberry was okay, and the idea was wonderful, but she didn't do as good a job as Sam did. And baby Michael is the cutest baby ever. I'm glad Lafayette is involved with this storyline now.

I think the B storylines are really good because I think we are getting into this place in terms of writing where the seasons aren't exactly as well defined and/or contained as they were before. so I think season 4's B storylines are going to become season five's A storylines---I think we going to see some kind of big shift---there are all of these things just hanging out there (the fairies war, Crystal and werepanthers, poly-shifters verses weres and their political feelings on their place in society, Russell, Nan and Bill's political showdown, new were panther-group agenda, ect), but even though the necromancy and medium to devistated-LOST-tortured souls seems outlandish, I think with out it, you can't fully explore the possibility of change and identity, as the work is really about humanity and it's socio-political issues. This season is like a reversed mirror to season 2 and Maryanne (Meanad's control the living--collecting their life energy) in some ways, but at the same time we are dealing with the aftermath of season 3. I think it's a nice contrast to play on "survival of the fittest" with there being a force that can have a hand on the vampires...nobody's safe in Harris/Ball's universe...the dead and the past can still come back to haunt you, but maybe they can also save you.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby PandaVamp on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:54 pm

Rebel wrote:The books don't even cross my mind, and I strongly believe that to judge a show... one should do just that. Judge the show. Making judgements about a show based on comparisons with the books just doesn't seem fair to me.

As much as I would like that to happen, because I have to agree sometimes it can get tiresome (if only because of the non-constructive way it is done at times), it's a pretty difficult thing to do.

I mean, a few months back I just tried to put myself on the book fans shoes and I remembered that, years ago, I couldn't help judging certain aspects of the film Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, because I have read the book many times and I'm a big, big fan of it. I knew the film couldn't be the same thing, that would have been nearly impossible, yet, in my mind, I just did it, I used book arguments to judge it, positively and/or negatively. When I realized that I was like that back then, I kind of understood that, maybe, that's how some fans of the books feel. They can't help compare it, they will always have the books in their minds, no matter how hard they try not to do comparisons.

Anyway, I haven't read the books so I'm ultimately a fan of the TV show like you, but a few days back, discussing the TV version of the "shower scene" with Miss Ford, which appeared to her and me a little bit over the top at first, I had a happy discovery.

Well, the thing is, she linked me to a Youtube reading of the book shower moment and, to my surprise, it helped me appreciate so, so much more what Alan Ball did and, even though I feel I understood since the beginning why he represented it that way, I re-watched the episode and actually enjoyed it completely this time (well, maybe not the fairy chanting :lol:) and my "over the top" feeling simply disappeared.

And don't get me wrong, with this, I don't intend to diminish Harris' work, because I know both stories are surrounded by completely different circumstances and turns, and I know that what makes sense in one doesn't make sense in the other and viceversa, but there I was, comparing one of the books' passages to the TV show, just that, for me, in my very own opinion, the TV show won it by a mile, and I am pretty thankful to Miss Ford for bringing that whole discussion to my attention. It greatly enhanced this episode for me. :)

So, what I'm trying to say here is that comparison doesn't always have to be bad, comparing with an open mind can actually help you enjoy more one, the other, or both. :)

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:18 pm

PandaVamp wrote:
Rebel wrote:The books don't even cross my mind, and I strongly believe that to judge a show... one should do just that. Judge the show. Making judgements about a show based on comparisons with the books just doesn't seem fair to me.

As much as I would like that to happen, because I have to agree sometimes it can get tiresome (if only because of the non-constructive way it is done at times), it's a pretty difficult thing to do.

I mean, a few months back I just tried to put myself on the book fans shoes and I remembered that, years ago, I couldn't help judging certain aspects of the film Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, because I have read the book many times and I'm a big, big fan of it. I knew the film couldn't be the same thing, that would have been nearly impossible, yet, in my mind, I just did it, I used book arguments to judge it, positively and/or negatively. When I realized that I was like that back then, I kind of understood that, maybe, that's how some fans of the books feel. They can't help compare it, they will always have the books in their minds, no matter how hard they try not to do comparisons.

Anyway, I haven't read the books so I'm ultimately a fan of the TV show like you, but a few days back, discussing the TV version of the "shower scene" with Miss Ford, which appeared to her and me a little bit over the top at first, I had a happy discovery.

Well, the thing is, she linked me to a Youtube reading of the book shower moment and, to my surprise, it helped me appreciate so, so much more what Alan Ball did and, even though I feel I understood since the beginning why he represented it that way, I re-watched the episode and actually enjoyed it completely this time (well, maybe not the fairy chanting :lol:) and my "over the top" feeling simply disappeared.

And don't get me wrong, with this, I don't intend to diminish Harris' work, because I know both stories are surrounded by completely different circumstances and turns, and I know that what makes sense in one doesn't make sense in the other and viceversa, but there I was, comparing one of the books' passages to the TV show, just that, for me, in my very own opinion, the TV show won it by a mile, and I am pretty thankful to Miss Ford for bringing that whole discussion to my attention. It greatly enhanced this episode for me. :)

So, what I'm trying to say here is that comparison doesn't always have to be bad, comparing with an open mind can actually help you enjoy more one, the other, or both. :)

This is why I prefer, if I can help it, to read the book(s) after I view the film/tv material, because in this sense It gives me better understanding of the adaptation, and often the book will just then give more thematic awareness to why a scene in film/Tv Series was needed to be done a certain way...It's like getting additional info/expanded universe, and it doesn't feel nearly as painful when it's the other way. So I agree sometimes a comparison is helpful and can just expand on whatever you previously thought of something...

Speaking of which and changing the subject somewhat...I thought of something else they could do with Tara. I have been rereading through a lot of the Tara-Hate/dislike arguments we have been having, and the need to see her character die...Perhaps there is a truth that I have been blind to fully see, in that everything about Tara is a foreshadowing of her death...

One thing I find interesting is the difference between "mediums"...Marnie seems to of had to beg and make offerings to summon and make contact with Atonia, where as Laffayette seems to have started out wanting nothing to do with it all and yet this women-spirit just walked into his life and into his body! In addition Marnie found a much older soul than Laff...

What if Tara would die at the end of season 4...but revealed later in season 5, her soul/spirit is hanging around Laffayette and/or perhaps other mediums?! So far it appears that these souls use of the living's vessels are in conjunction to "unfinished business" and justification for a horrific end...I don't know if the mythology would have to be exclusive to that, but I wouldn't mind a Tara's fear of death is overcome at being dead--and she could play more like her season one character, a devil's advercate or a guardian angle...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:11 pm

PandaVamp wrote:Well, the thing is, she linked me to a Youtube reading of the book shower moment and, to my surprise, it helped me appreciate so, so much more what Alan Ball did and, even though I feel I understood since the beginning why he represented it that way, I re-watched the episode and actually enjoyed it completely this time (well, maybe not the fairy chanting :lol:) and my "over the top" feeling simply disappeared.

Would you mind posting a link to that video? I'm interested in hearing how it was in the book.
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Postby Miss Ford on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:21 pm

It was in the Alexander Skarsgard/ Eric Northman Thread...

Here it is:

Caution: Dont listen to this in public.... could be a lil embarrassing :D put some heardhones on first :)
ImageImageImage
'.
Miss Ford
Show Expert

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:07 pm

Thanks for the vid.

Lol, you were right. I'm very glad I didn't listen to that with anyone around. I would've had some explaining to do. :lol:
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Previous

Return to True Blood [No spoilers!]